Lurker Invitations Check-In, January

Hi Elle & Janiejoey and everyone else, thanks for the Welcome!! :D

Today's my muscle building night and I just finished my version of Cathe's Gym Styles Back, Shoulders & Biceps. But I just did the shoulder and my bicep routine with half of her bicep routine. I'm nice and pumped! I may, after my dinner, do a bit of yoga warrior poses and stretches to strengthen my knees if I'm feeling ambitious. I'm like you Elle, it's so hard to fit everything in. I love yoga and it's my physiotherapy for my knees but it's so hard to fit it in between my Cathe cardio and weights and I just don't have the stamina to fit it all on the same day. So, I'm going to try and see if I can fit in a very short yoga routine here and there on a cardio or muscle day and see how it goes.

ELLE_P: Good for you in sticking to your workouts and clean eating despite your challenging weekend! That takes dedication!!

JANIEJOEY: Hope you had a great workout and that hot tub sounds great!!

Hi Five To Everyone Else!! :D

Hi all,

Janie, Elle: Thanks for the nice welcome back! It's SOOO good to be home. AND STS IS SHIPPING!:D:D:D:D:D

Twinkletoes: This is a great group and you fit right in - nice to have you on board.

Well, today I've done quite a bit. We're in single digit weather, so I've combined a few things:

* hike in the very snowy woods with dogs, and did a few extra hills just because. It is absolutely gorgeous out there! During the day, the sun heats the snow on the tree branches just slightly, and that melts just a bit. Then, at night, the condensation out of the air attaches to that and freezes to it. The result is something that looks like a fairy tale forest, all silvery and delicate.

* a few passes with the kettlebells in the barn: I really want to get a flip-squat move right, and do the midair swing transfers, but I am only willing to do that outside. I'm not ready to fling a cannonball around inside the house :eek:

* while I was gone, a set of Ilaria Montagnani dvds came. I bought them from Collage when I saw that she was highly recommended, and I'm looking at what to do for cardio during STS sooo ... it seemed like a good investment ... or else I succumbed to an impulse buy :eek:. Anyway, today I did PowerStrike 5 as my main workout, all the way through. It really does feel like a martial arts class with a beat ;) I kept up okay, except for losing a few moves out of the middle and end of the trickier sequences.

I'm thinking "Body Max 2" tomorrow, so am holding off on doing any more strength training tonight. Oh yes, yesterday evening I did "celebrate the return" by doing CTX Leaner Legs without the abs section, and I used my weight vest. Oh my! Adding 16 pounds that way really increases the burn, even though the actual total weight I'm lifting isn't that much more. It's probably because I left the vest on for essentially the whole workout, even during the few breaks we get in LL ...

Good Evening Ex-Lurker-loos!

How nice to be growing again! Welcome Twinkletoes, I am so glad you are out of the lurking closet, feels good doesn't it? And Ellie is right on it really helps with the motivation when you check in and see how well everyone else is doing it really makes you want to hit the mat!

So brief check -in after my workout on Saturday -ended up doing HIS HDS and heavy Chest & Back I totally crashed-felt like I got hit by a train, and my cough started back up that night,:mad: guess I wasn't really better yet! So took Sunday off.

Tonight I taught my Pilates class & then a heavy duty Circuit/Interval Workout with the Body Bar. Things in my Pilates class that aren't usually a challenge for me really seemed hard tonight, and my heart rate was way HIGH in my other class, so I guess I am still fighting this bug off, it's a bummer, but at least I got through them & burnt a total of 800 cals between the two classes.:eek:
Shadow PuP:wholly cow girl you absolutely ROCK!! What an inspiration, whenever I am feeling tired or overwhelmed I am going to think of you and get my lazy *** off the couch and do SOMETHING!!/COLOR]
EllieP:I would love to check out your blog! I hear you on STS, I keep going back & forth on it, I am intimidated by the 1RM, and time commitment of 4-6 months! But I am leaning towards it....
JanieI have been trying to get my hubbie to try Cathe for a whole year!!! How did you do it? I think Bo, my DH, is
terrified of getting his booty whipped by a girl!:eek::eek::eek:

I forgot to mention that I finally steeled my nerve up enough to step on the scale to see the holiday damage (considering the date I have obvisously been stalling:eek:) and I didn't gain any weight!:eek::eek::eek: Which was my goal to not lose but not gain!

That's the good news, the bad news, of I should say the challenge is one of my best friends is finally getting married this summer over July 4th weeked, he has been the most consummate of bachelors, and I want to drop 20-30 lbs! Help!!!:(;):confused:I have the workouts under control it's the eating I got to get a handle on. All of you guys are so good about your diets, Ellie your bad eating days would look like a good day for me to give you some perspective:eek:

Hello Lurky-Lou's,
We may want to come up with a new name if we are going to continue our check-in into February with a new thread.;) I hope you all want to continue since it has really helped me stay on track. I have so many stickers on my Cathe calendar!:)

I decided to give Jari Love another shot. I have 4 of her DVD's (all except the first one). I used two of them for a few weeks but lost my motivation. Lots of people around here say they got great results from her so i figured i will give it another go. I just finished Ripped to the Core.

Janie: Thanks for your support. I ended up staying late again at work tonight but i'm not as upset as i was on Friday. If you ever get a chance to go to Butchart Gardens in BC it's beautiful!

Twinkletoes: I totally understand about not having the stamina to do both yoga and other workouts in the same day. I tried that and needless to say it did not last long! I'm currently alternating yoga days with Cathe days but i want to try and add in more cardio but not sure where to fit it in. I'm not really a morning person so i have to figure something out. Where there's a will there's a way. Maybe i'll do shorter yoga sessions like you mentioned.

Shadowpup: Hmmm...PowerStrike5. I was on the verge of ordering CLX tonight but resisted. I like your description of a martial arts class with a beat. I'll check this out at collage. I love walking in the woods with my dogs too. It's so beautiful and warm in there. My dogs love the snow!

Laura: With your busy schedule, make sure you don't burn out while trying to recover from your cold. Otherwise that will linger for longer than it needs too. Do light activities or lighten up your weights this week so you can still be active but not relapse. There are lots of good bloggers here in Cathe-land. They are also very inspiring and supportive. Check us out there when you have time!

See you all tomorrow!

Hi everyone!
Any ideas for a new name? I would love the check-in to continue it also helped my stay on track.

Today was Pilates Mat Class where we did a Triad Ball workout and then I stayed at the Gym and did Pyramid Upper Body. Totally killer on those biceps!:p

It is really cold here today, I guess we are finally getting our share of that killer cold weather that has been hitting the North American Continent! ) degrees and very windy, so I stayed in doors warming by the fire.

Going to watch the Biggest Loser at a friends and have dinner together. i love watching how hard those guys work out, although the show drives me nuts when it replays the same footage over again after a commercial!:mad:

Hi Lurkers Unite!

When I got home tonight I felt a little twingy in my lower back but thought what the heck doing my step workout will probably warm it up and make it feel better. Bright idea right!:eek: So I setup my step in the living room turned off the heat and opened the balcony door to -5C and did PowerMax step. It was so much fun! I did up to the 2nd step routine before I called it quits. Still don't have the stamina after getting over this cold. Then I did some yoga vinyasa's with warrior poses and yoga stretches. Well, who told me to do all that, now my back is completely out and my knees hurt me a bit.:mad: (The warrior poses are usually good for my knees BUT I knew I should have done them on a different day then on my step day so I don't over do it and make it worse instead of better :(.) UUgg!!:mad: Now I'm walking slightly hunched over and have to move very slowly!! How I'm going to get to work tomorrow and carry my purse is beyond me. :confused: So, I'm probably going to be out of commission exercise wise for a week or two. Man I hope not more. I'm so looking forward to STS and it's so frustrating not being able to keep the momentum going so I can see some really good results!! I hope everyone else is doing better than me! :p

Hi Elle: Why not try doing cardio and then for your stretch afterwards do a short yoga routine. That might work. I find cardio so beneficial for me as it seems to increase my overall day to day stamina and I certainly need that. Also, I've noticed it helps to decrease PMS symptoms in me. I read in a book that doing cardio really helps stabilize women's hormones and I'm really seeing that in me. And also I absolutely LOVE Cathe's cardio, it's so much fun and so challenging but in a good way. Yet I love yoga because it's calming, challenging and my perfect overall physiotherapy routine.

Hi Laura: Yes Laura listen to Elle or you might end up like me :p!!

Hi Ladubose: Suggestions for new name: "Outed-Lurkers All Welcome", or "Lurkers Unite All Welcome". Way to go that you didn't gain any weight! And your in good company cause Elle's bad eating days are my good days too!! I have an addictive sweet tooth and now I'm stuck on Nestle's Drumstick ice-cream cones. I've been eating one everyday for the past 2 weeks and two on Sat and Sun!! Needless to say I just took a good look at myself in the mirror and could see a pound or two more of me :(. If I can just keep it clean for the week and keep the deserts for the weekend I can lose weight. But when I do this it's over!! You can do it Ladubose, it's great when you have a goal, it really helps to motivate you. Good Luck!!

Hi Shadowpup: Wow, do you have ENERGY & STAMINA, three/four workouts in one day, AWESOME!! And that's really funny that you did the kettlebells in the barn I can totally relate to not wanting to fling a cannonball in the house :p!!

Hi to Janiejoey and everyone else!! Now I'm going to ice my back!! :p

Hi Everyone,
I got home pretty late after a very busy day at work. I really needed to henna my hair tonight since i did not get to do it on the weekend so i've used up this week's rest day!

My eating has been pretty good although i haven't had time to prepare meals at home so i've been buying veggie & cheese sandwhiches for lunch from the deli in my office building.

Twinkletoes: You are so much like me! I went through a "drumstick binge" in the summer and ate one (or two!):eek: practically every day for a couple of weeks. It's really easier for me to avoid them completely. Once i have one i want them all the time. Sorry to hear about your back and knees! I hope you are back at it soon!

Laura: Sounds like a fun evening with a friend. It's really cold here too and we are supposed to get snow. Good job on the biceps!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Good Evening,

Today I did 1RM's and almost finished with them. Just about a full page and just bit more to do. I'm so ready for STS to come my way. Tomorrow is cardio and a Christy Taylor "Fit To Dance", Lots of fun!

Twinkletoes, your workout planning is great, but it seems too much for my body anyway. When I do yoga, (and when I have extra energy), I do it on a day with cardio. I'm warmed up and haven't slowed down yet. I'm so sorry your back is hurting. A couple of weeks will fly by. Make sure you stay in touch with us and keep us in your loop. OK? Take care of yourself.

Shadowpup, I'm one of the first 100 people to order STS and no notice yet for me. (darn!) I wish I could walk with you in that fairy tale forest of yours. It sounds so lovely. who wouldn't want to walk or hike in it? Haven't done kettlebells yet, they kinda scare me. I have Ilaria sword workout. She's amazing put together (wish it was my body). And yet you are still not done with working out. WOW! How do you guys do that. That's a lot of working out?

Ladubose, I'm so sorry that you are still ill. I've learned my lesson too. It takes time to get better. Rest, liquids and Vit. C. and eat lite. You'll be well in not time . Give it another week or so. REST! My hubby supports my health addictions. It also benefits him too. He is not good with the choreography that's why we do separate cardios. He likes to do his own stuff. How does your biceps feel today? Any DOMS?

Elle, Jarie Love has great endurance workouts. I do hers sometimes, probably not often enough. I usually pack my lunches every time I'm out and about. I know me and I will blow it for sure if I don't pack my food.

A new name for the group sounds great. Lets all get an idea what we want and perhaps vote on the one that sounds good to all of us. Would like to still invite anyone else out there that might be a lurker, so possibly have "Lurker" in the title. What do you all think?

Take care everyone, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Okay, so here I am...

Hi All!
I have the decided to get "out of the Lurker closet" and join in. Real name is Sherry, have been working out with Cathe for a long time now although the last year not so much....boyfriend had a stroke....had a job that was just too much 6 days a week and 12-16 hours a day.....back on the wagon now and have a better job 5 days a week and regular hours! Was probably the last pre-order for STS LOL! So will be waiting for it....working up to it until then!

Did PUB today....thought the weights were alot lower than the last time I did it! Eating was okay though my daughter came home on leave today from Gitmo and I had decided that whatever she wanted to eat was what it would be!!!! So I am sure that eating will be up and down this month!

Can't swear I will be able to check in every day but will do my best! Not sure even what my join date is (guess I'll see when i check in again) but I know it's been a long time and "lurking" is a hard habit to break! Hope I can remember everyone's name!
Have a good night everyone!

Sherry,

Welcome aboard!:D Glad you came out of the lurkers closet. Sounded like you had a lot on your plate, but now, back on the wagon and that's what's important. Congratulations for seeing a fresher picture of life. Don't have to check in everyday, just when you want and when you are ready to. It was really nice meeting you and look forward to knowing you as well.;)

Don't blame you for celebrating with your daughter. That's so very special.

Jaine

I am back! BOOOO!!!!

Sounds like everyone has been busy and working hard to get in their workouts! GOOD JOB!!!!;)

Well, Mexico was was really fun and HOT!!! The weather was really nice the entire time we were down there. I did not workout as all as planned, but did quite a bit of walking. I had lots and lots of margaritas and lots and lots of BEER! It was worth it though.

Now time to get back on track! I want to get rid of the layer of fat I have, losing about 10 pounds would prob do the trick! My weakness is def. diet on the weekends. I tend to over indulge!

My plan this moth will be to continue with my GS rotation. Eating 1500 cals with macro ratios around 50-40% protein, 30-40% carbs, and 20%fat. I need to go grocery shoppin':)!

Welcome newbees!!!

I will post pics soon!

Hi All!

My back is feeling alot better except for some twinges in the evening, cross my fingers. I've been icing it and my knees and I can tell you it makes such a difference! I always ice my knees every day and after cardio twice and it's like it's miracle medicine. I just got my STS today and I'm SOOOOOO excited!:D I've just been doing my 1 rep max. Hope to do a bit more on the weekend. I'd like to try and do all of Disk 1's 1 rep max as that covers so many other disks in that category. I haven't even opened my UPS package yet!! :p Have you guys checked out the new Workout Manager? It's awesome and makes doing the 1RM so easy as you now have a visual and you can print out an 8 page 1RM chart too.

Elle: I can't believe you had a drumstick binge too!! That's too funny!! Great minds think alike!! :p Well now I know you're normal afterall! I'm going to have my last one tonight and call it quits.:eek: I'm the same as you I have to just stop cold turkey.

Janie: I hope you got your STS shipping notice now or you just get a surprise visit from the UPS man.

Welcome back tlstot!! Welcome Sherry!!:)

Hi Five to Everyone Else!!

Good Evening Everyone!
So nice that we keep growing, Welcome Sherry and welcome home Tracy Lynn. I can't believe a week went by already.....:confused:

Yesterday, I went to 24 hour fitness with my mom & just did some light cardio on elliptical and bike for 50 minutes, took today off. I am feeling better, but still not 100% so thought I would take ya'lls advice and rest without feeling guilty about it. So far I don't feel guilty but I bet I will in the morning.

Twinkletoes:I am glad your back is feeling better and that is a bummer about your knees giving you so much ache I was wondering if you had ever done a Pilates private on the equipment? Pilates saved me from chronic back pain after a very bad accident in 2003, I don't know where I would be today with out it.
Janie:My biceps were so sore the day after PUB, serious DOMS!!! Great Job on banging out those 1RM's that must feel like a great accomplishment!
EllieP:Hope things are calming down for you at work! I am really going to make an effort to start packing all snacks & lunches for myself on the days I am in Boulder, I keep forgetting myself, I pack the girls lunches but not one for me!:(I really realized last week what a down fall it is my time is very tightly scheduled when I am down there, I don't eat until I am absolutely starving and grab something, anything quickly!!:mad: It is a total downfall and I just need to get organized so I don't fall into that trap!

Hi Everyone,

Today was yoga day and i just finished my practice. Yesterday i did Jari Love's Slim & Lean. I'm glad i decided to give her another chance. I've done two of her workouts this week and feel really good. I'll continue with her next week as well i think. This weekend i really need to stock up on groceries and cook. Eating hasn't been horrible but i feel better when i plan it out more and bring food with me. It's easier to stay on track.

Sherry: Welcome aboard! It's nice to meet you.

Tracy Lynn: Welcome back from vacation!

Laura: Don't feel guilty about taking a rest day. I'm overcoming that mentality as well. Just move forward and make sure 1 rest day doesn't turn into a "vacation"! I took Tuesday off and when i did not feel like working out last night i reminded myself i already used up my free pass for the week and got my self back on track.

Twinkle: I've had pretty much any binge you can come up with! Lately i have been eating those cherry hershey's kisses. To keep that under control i limit myself to 5 kisses within a 24 hr period otherwise i could probably polish off a whole pack in one day! I have some issues with protion control. It really is easier to just not have anything but my new plan is to allow myself whatever i want whenever i want but to keep the portion reasonable. I don't think having "forbidden foods" has worked well in the past. It makes me want it more and i obsess about it and then binge. So far this has worked since i haven't binged since New Year's Eve.

Have a great day,
Elle

Good Evening,

Tracy Lynn, Sounds like you had a great time in Mexico. Love to see some pictures if you have some.:rolleyes: Yes, getting back on track would be a good idea.;) I tend to overindulge even during the week.:( The plan for you this month sounds like a good one.

Twinkletoes, So excited for you getting the STS series, I'm still waiting to hear some news, I hope to be surprised too. I'll be finished with my 1rm tomorrow. Love the new Workout Manager.

Laura, So glad you are feeling better. Don't feel guilty, your body needs the rest.

Elle, I hear ya about the food and keeping in check.

Today took a rest day instead of working out. Tomorrow will be a weight training day. Muscle Max comes to mind.

I think I made a pest out of myself on the boards today. I'm taking it easy now, because there is nothing more I can do (I'm talking about no notice of STS). It is what it is.

Janie

Hi all,

It's been an intense work week! I've glanced at our thread here a few times, but haven't done much typing.

Janie, the last few days are often the hardest, aren't they? I'm watching my STS slowly travel across the country, kind of regretting that I didn't pay for overnight. But tomorrow the STS customer service folks will likely be back and they will see your messages, and can check. My phone number didn't show up on the order site, either, though I did get my confirmation from UPS. *Good* for you, to pick up a dvd, and work off the edge that way! I really like working off the 'fight or flight' feeling that way ... :)

Tracy Lynn, Mexico sounds great! I had a little time in CA but it rained - so glad you had sunshine :)

Twinkletoes, great that your STS came!!!! I'm thinking I won't start right away - I'm travelling again as of Monday - so probably it will be next weekend. And then I'm on the road again, but I'm *not* going to put it off for three weeks. How is your back doing, by the way?

Elle, this might sound funny, but are you getting enough protein and fiber early in the day? I discovered that tiny differences, something as subtle as do I add four ounces of nonfat yogurt to my breakfast (40 cals), is the difference from ravenous hunger about 11 and feeling pretty satisfied. It isn't so much the calories for me as the kind of calories.

tlstot, nice to see your post! Those GS are great, among my favorites.

Sherry, good to meet you - and what a life you have been leading. Thank you for your family's service; it's not just the people who go overseas on our behalf who are making sacrifices.

So, haven't posted my workouts, but I have been doing them!

Monday: CTX Leaner Legs. One of my favorites! Also a hike in the morning with the dogs, and a few kettlebell passes. Mainly I did the single hand passes outside again. And, we had broken pipes once more. The very cold weather in single digits alternating with 30-40 degree warmups in a few hours is challenging to all. But, we have water again and my patience is getting stronger and stronger. At least, it will if I can rest it up for a bit :)

Tuesday: my rest day. I did a very short walk, and was able to do nine pullups again! Two sets, with lots of rest in between. The pullup bar is near my home office. Really, I should not do them on my rest days but ...

Wednesday: back to regular workouts! Hike in the morning, a nice 40 minute one. Did ten minutes or so with kettlebells in between feeding animals (that gives me a rest), mainly swings and lifts with my 20# bell. And ... in the evening I just felt like doing BodyMax 2, the double upper (except abs, I usually do those just once a week, since I am always working abs on my stability ball chair). It felt very good. The double-upper is becoming a real favorite ...

Thursday: today! hike in the morning, just 20 minutes because I had early meetings. No kettlebells or pullups or pushups since yesterday was so intense with the upper body; my shoulders are warning me that they have had enough and need a rest day. And, I have been feeling the need for something different, but wanted to rest my upper body, so I pulled out a new one, Glick's bosu cardio fusion. It was a blast! About 50 minutes. I have not worked out with Glick before.

Well, take care all, and hi to all the potential unlurkers who may be reading this too! Join us by posting in January :)

Good Mornin'Lurks!!!!

Well Last night I did GS Chest and Tri's, the step max from the cardio hits DVD. I burned about 600 cals. I am looking forward to the weekend to get some laundry and organizing done from vacation. EVERYTHING from my suitcase is getting washed I don't care if I wore it or not!

Shadow- OMG- You can do pullups!!! You are my hero! Awesome w/o's this week!!!

Janie- I would be just as excited as you to get my STS!!!! (although I didn't order!) Awesome job on the 1RM stuff!! Have fun with MM- I like that one a lot!

Elle- I like Jari too. I have RTTC. I like the 5 kisses in 24 hr rule!;)

Laura- I'm glad you're feelin better! Take care of yourself!

Twinks- Nice to meet you! Have fun with STS! I am jelous!

Welcome Sherry!!!

BBL to post tonights w/o.

Holly Cow!! Has PSL always been that tough!!:p

I don't remeber it being that hard, but it is the DVD I do the least of my {small} library. I love PUB, but I perfer GS Legs or Butts & Gutts for my leg work out. I don't like only using the barbell in PSL, and having to switch the weights around so frequently. I can never change the weight as fast as Cathe and constantly having to rewind.:confused: But I think there is some truth that your body gets used to a certain workout and it is good to switch it up to keep the body & mind awake!
I don't know why but the floor work kills me, I guess I just haven't built up the endurance yet.

Hi Tracy: do you like the Cardio Hits DVD? Is the step easy to learn???

Shadow Pup: You are my heroine for doing 9 pull ups!! I am still working on one!:eek:

Ellie I managed not to beat myself up for resting yesterday and got back on it today, although it was hard to motivate I know how easily it is to let a rest day turn into a rest week!:(

Janie Did the UPS man arrive today??? Can't wait to hear what you think about STS. I am still on the fence.

Hi Five to everyone else, hope you are keeping on track!

Loving the new WM!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.