Low Back Exercises

petramom

Cathlete
In GS Back, Cathe does a lower back exercise where you have your upper body on the step and lift your legs up and down to work your lower back. I find this position really uncomfortable for my stomach, and if I position myself so that it doesn't bother my stomach then the lift really works my hams/glutes more than my lower back.

My question is: what's the best substitute for these? Are Supermans the best option here? I also don't really feel the exercise she does after the leg lifts, where you lift your torso and rotate.

I think Supermans would be a great option in place of the other exercise you mentioned. I don't know if I actually "feel" these exercises but I know that they are necessary and great for strengthening the low back.

HTH,

I can't do this exercise on the step either, so I substitute with doing the work on the floor. I choose to lift both upper and lower body simultaneously for that set (that's just a personal preference), but I think it would be fine to just do lower body lifts on the floor as well. I figure it's all good as long as I'm working the muscle. Modifying like this works out much better for me because I am actually able to focus on that muscle, something I can't do when lying on the bench because the position is so uncomfortable for my body.

I would try them on a stability ball, too. Lie on top of the ball with it positioned around your thigh/upper thigh area, arms straight down in push-up position. Then lift and lower your legs. That might be more comfortable.

anne

I can't do this exercise on the step either, so I substitute with doing the work on the floor. I choose to lift both upper and lower body simultaneously for that set (that's just a personal preference), but I think it would be fine to just do lower body lifts on the floor as well. I figure it's all good as long as I'm working the muscle. Modifying like this works out much better for me because I am actually able to focus on that muscle, something I can't do when lying on the bench because the position is so uncomfortable for my body.

I'm in the same boat, I also do the work on the floor.

I used to get breathless on these so I double up a thick Spri mat I have just under the point of pressure (mainly lower belly and stomach) but I would also go with a pillow if the mat wasn't providing enough cushioning... :)

I have tried them on a stability ball and I felt I didn't work as hard as on a bench or step.

Chris.

I use either the bosu or the stability ball. Most of the floor exercises actually hurt my back as well as being uncomfortable if I do them on the step - and if you've got a HRM on, extra ouch! To add challenge, you can move your arms or elbow out a bit further from your body, or even hold a tiny dumbbell. I don't usually do that, always being a bit worried about overstressing my back. ;)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.