LOST!!!

thebrain

Cathlete
Just re-watched the last 20 minutes or so of the Big Finale.

I was confused last night, but I slept on it and I get it now. Bawled like a big huge baby on the re-watch. Beautiful ending....I actually like how it didn't answer all the questions...but answered the biggest one of all. It really was Jack's story all along.

How are all you Cathe Lost fans feeling??

Aimee

I loved it, I watched the recap from 7-9, then the final episode. Had a few questions actually answered for me by watching the recap. I thought it was a very good ending, loved how they were all reunited, very moving. Now I need to find a show to replace this!
Sherry

I really liked it but am still confused a bit. Them reuniting at the end made me cry expecially Sawyer and Juliette.

This is my take on what I think happened. So everyone is dead. Right ?? Except Linus since he didn't go in the church. Because they said some died before others. So this leads me to believe that the bomb Juliette set off at the end of Season 5 actually happened and they did get back home to the lives they were leading in Season 6. Jack had to stay on the island in order for them to all reunite in the end to let them know the island really did happen. Am I getting this right. But by going into the church they all were reuinted knowing they actually lived on the island and experienced all of that.. Is that anyone elses take on this ???????

They were all dead by the time they reunited but they all died at different times. Jack's father said that some had died before Jack and others after Jack and that in this place there was no time. Jack was dead by the end of the episode, the one group made it off the island in the plane and it's assumed they lived out their lives back in the regular world. Hurley and Ben stayed on the island and Hurley became the new Jacob with Ben as his second in command - they even reflected on their lives together on the island at the end of the episode when Hurley was going in the church. Ben was dead at the end too, but he wasn't ready to "move on" yet. The rest of the group at that point were basically spirits who didn't realize they had passed on and needed to find each other and remember their lives on the island before they could find peace and move on. It wasn't an alternate reality, but more of a purgatory where they all ended up after death until their spirits were ready to move into the light. I don't know how the bomb really figured in anything. I think it was meant to go off all along. I don't think it changed anything. What we were seeing all season with the "alternate reality" wasn't happening at the same time, it was happening years later after they had all passed away. It was kind of a hard concept to grasp, but I don't think it's really meant to make too much sense. That was just my take on it.

Last edited:
I loved the entire ride of the past 6 years. However, I still have a ton of unanswered questions....such as why did Ekko see images of his past in the Smoke Monster and no one else did? What did that symbolize?

Was Charles Whitmore a good guy or a bad guy?

Lastly, what were they protecting the Island from???

I agree with Liann. The "flash sideways" was after everyone had passed away. Even Locke told Jack that he didn't have a son. Like others, I chocked back the tears during the last 10 minute reunion of the lost souls. That's what they truly were.

I cried and cried the last ten minutes, and as sappy as this sounds, I cried on and off today thinking about it. I am not sure if they all died when the plane crashed, or if what they experienced on the island was real. All I know is when Jack walked in the church and there were all different religious imagery (Jewish, Muslin, Christian), I realized they really were dead and when he saw his dad, his real dad, I just lost it. Don't know what it was about the scene, it just moved me to tears.

Kristin

Kristin - It wouldn't have made sense if they had all died when the plane crashed because Jack's dad specifically said they hadn't died at the same time and that the reason they all had to meet up again before moving on was because of how important they were to each other. No one even knew each other when that plane originally crashed, so I'm pretty sure that everything we saw happen on the island happened exactly like we saw it.

I agree with Liann that some people lived longer than Jack, some died before him, but they were all there at the end to help him to "let go". I think ultimately the series was Jack's story, but since the show has always been about connections between people, it was important to have a stake in the other character's lives. I do think everything on the island did happen and that the flash sideways were meant to show how Jack was able to finally chase away his demons. And...of course he was able to on the island as well!

I am O.K. with not knowing ALL the answers regarding the mythology of the island, because it seems like the story was about the people and not the island, really.

Aimee

Just think of this....Jack was originally supposed to die in the pilot episode!

Did you see that Matthew Fox originally auditioned for Sawyer? I think he made an excellent Jack Shephard! May he and his fellow Lost Souls RIP.

I love how the series opened with Jack's eye opening and closed with his eye closing. I think it was the perfect circle. I can't imagine what it would have been like if he had died in the first episode!!!

Tricia, I can totally understand that some people just hated it--it's all subjective! Now, if they'd revealed that they were all dead the whole time, I would have been pissed! Fortunately, though, I did love it, and I completely agree with Liann's take on everything. You had to pay close attention to what people were saying to Jack in the Sideways limbo place last night to figure out what was going on, especially his conversation with his father.

I enjoyed the show, it's just the ending that I hated. It completely ignored all of the time travel and the significance of all the hatches and machinery as though it was all just their way of finding the path understanding that they're dead and "to move on." Sheesh.

I guess I just didn't care for the sudden final religious significance that was never there through all the previous seasons.

Okay, it's over and I'm done with it. It is just a tv show after all!

Now, what's the next one I can get addicted to?! LOL!

I enjoyed the show, it's just the ending that I hated. It completely ignored all of the time travel and the significance of all the hatches and machinery as though it was all just their way of finding the path understanding that they're dead and "to move on." Sheesh.

I guess I just didn't care for the sudden final religious significance that was never there through all the previous seasons.

Okay, it's over and I'm done with it. It is just a tv show after all!

Now, what's the next one I can get addicted to?! LOL!

Tricia - They weren't dead though. They were not dead on the island. All of that happened. The hatch, Dharma Initiative, Jacob, that all happened. The alternate life/Purgatory was COMPLETELY separate from everything that had happened. That was later after they had all passed on - be it from their time on the island or those who died later after they got off the island or Hurley and Ben who might have just died from old age on the island. They all died eventually just like anyone and it was after they all died that their spirits met up again in that alternate reality. None of that changed anything that had happened throughout the entire series. It wasn't just a dream and they weren't all dead on arrival. ;) Their spirits just couldn't rest until they had all been reunited with those they had been separated from or lost during their physical lives on the island. They were basically bound together by that whole experience even in their eventual deaths.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about it.
IMO, it was a bit lame and sappy (and why were the only people with Jack at the end the main players on the show and some of their significant others, but not all?).

Evidently, I was still bothered by it when I went to bed, because I dreamed that (now follow this) I dreamed a different ending, where Jacob was Jesus, and there was something about a "Judas swing" (a playground swing that had something to do with Judas's betrayal of Jesus..and I think the man in black was supposed to be Judas, but I'm not sure). Can't remember the rest of it, but when I woke up, I felt somehow that 'my' dream-within-a-dream version made more sense, LOL!

I watched it late (til 2 am last night) and cried like a baby....and I'm not a huge 'Lostie'.....I just couldn't turn it off.:confused: It's usually no big deal for me to miss a couple of episodes, which has made it a bit tough to follow.

I thought it was an enjoyable ending. Like Kripke said on Supernatural, anyone with a paper and pencil can start a story, but it takes some true talent to properly end one. No matter what, a story with so many loose ends will fail to tie them all up and no matter what, you will not satisfy all the fans. But, overall, I thought it was very emotional and it really made me think. I think it can mean different things for different people. I think the interpretation is up to the individual, which makes it interesting for me. I'm still mulling it over.....in true LOST fashion.

Now, I'm going to miss those Sawyer dimples.:( I wonder what we'll see him on next??

I was disappointed in the finale but I was expecting to be. Normally I find when series actually have a chance to end, it's somehow doesn't fit or it's just not what you were expecting or hoping it to be.

I liked parts of the finale but was disappointed in the sideways being "limbo" and them basically ignoring some of the mythology and questions about the island that were such a big part of the show. I did like that Jack's story came full circle and thought that was a great ending. I could have done without the final part when they were all reunited and moving on...thought it was a little too sappy but I suppose they were going for emotional.

I'm glad thought that they clarified that everything that happened on the island was real and it wasn't some crazy thing like they all died on the crash...that would have been worse.

Anyway, it was a good show and a great run.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.