Les Mills Pump...any more reviews??

tiletha444

Cathlete
I'm considering purchasing this BeachBody product. Those of you that have it, do you have any more info/reviews you can share? Is it worth the money?

thanks a bunch!! :)

Bumping this thread, as I'm considering purchasing this set - for the barbell alone, even though I already own a barbell, since I love the Body Pump barbells used at my gym.

You might want to look over at videofitness.com. There was a long thread awhile back and a lot of enthusiastic praise for the music. Also some clips. If I could just buy the dvds and not all that equipment, I would do it. I loved the music.

Bumping this thread, as I'm considering purchasing this set - for the barbell alone, even though I already own a barbell, since I love the Body Pump barbells used at my gym.

I'm not sure it's the same barbell. The BB barbell comes in two pieces and screws together. It's not commercial quality. I would imagine a club would have light commercial or commercial grade equipment.

The weighted work is totally worth the money! I'm enjoying the workouts and the music is fantastic!:D It is pricey if you do not need a barbell.

The cardio package is just so-so. If I had known the music was not as good in cardio workouts, I would have passed. I like the Sports Attack, but the combat and the step are kind of boring and the music is not great.

Here are the clips I videotaped with my flip camera (love this camera). I have the music "pumped up" option so you can't hear the instructor. I wish all my workouts had this option!!!;)

Clips from Pump
VID00032.AVI - YouTube
VID00031.AVI - YouTube

Clips of Combat-
VID00034.AVI - YouTube
VID00035.AVI - YouTube

Thanks for posting the clips! I think I will be passing on this set: I just read through most of the posts on the video fitness forum, and most people were complaining about their barbells and the clips being defective. I even checked out the message boards on BeachBody.com and people on there were also complaining about the defective barbells. Maybe if they release the workouts sans barbell I would consider purchasing, but for now, I won't be. I just love the quick release clips and the rubber bar/plates that I think I will buy the barbell through the Step company: the barbell on their site looks identical to the barbell/plates I use at my gym.

Here's the link to the Step barbell: http://www.thestep.com/Group-Fitness-Weight-Set?sc=7&category=5

Last edited:
I was seriously waiting for this set to come out, but when I saw the clips and the barbell....I thought....mehhh>>> So instead I got some new Kelly Coffey Meyer dvds of 30 Minutes to fitness...and I am happy.

I actually really like the barbell that came with the set and I'd get another if I could. It was long enough and thin (and padded)....very comfortable for my hands/back. I also am having no problems with the clips. Sorry that others are having issues!

Thanks!

Thanks for the great info and videoclips!!

From the videoclips, I really like the music! I'm still on the fence about ordering though.... :confused:

Hi;)

I've been pining for Les Mills Pump since I first heard about it from the message boards at beach body. I have been to videofitness forum and read the threads I could find about it.

I still want this but I'm feeling conflicted about the price, the barbell (I already have a 110 lbs set), and I'm concerned when I learned that the clips that come with the basic set are plastic and some people are having the clips break on them. Ok now for those of you that did purchase the basic set and have received the entire set with barbell and clips, what do you think of the barbell and clips? Also will standard spring clips assuming you have a pair fit on the Les Mills Pump barbell? I'd love to know the answer to this.

I did take the time to contact beachbody via instant chat and ask if beachbody had any possible plans to release another option to purchase only the dvds used in the basic set minus the barbell and deluxe step options. I was told no:confused: I recall reading at video fitness forum that some had contacted beachbody and was told by customer service that it would but after it was officially launched to the public. This representative also state to this person that they knew other Les Mills stuff was supposed to be added to the system but nothing has yet because its not launched to the public as of yet.

So, I'm officially bummed not knowing what is going to happen with this if I'll be able to purchase only the basic set dvds from beachbody should they come available. My other option is just get only the 3 cardio Les Pump dvds offered, just order a Troy lite bar when they come available after March since they are backorederd. Ugh, can you see my issues and turmoil? I know there is going to be a New Turbo Fire follow up in the future as well. So, I'm stuck with all these options and one thing I do know is I need to save like crazy to afford to be able to act on any of them. Help! I could really use the info on the clips with the barbel offered from beachbody as to if standard barbell spring clips will fit on the Les Mills barbell beach body has or not? Please let me know either way. I truly appreciate the info and appreciate the enthusiasm in supporting each other fitness dvd addiction:D:) Thanks in advance!;)

Nora

Nora,

I understand what you are saying. IMO, you should not order the cardio deluxe set. You will be disappointed. The music is just so-so. It's nothing like the music in the pump workouts.

I needed a barbell, so I took the plunge.

Hi Nora,

I received my PUMP dvds and equipment 2 weeks ago and Im loving it !!! Its a good low impact series. (My knees can give me grief sometimes).

I purchased the basic set and the extra 3 dvds and abs dvd. I didnt need the step, already have one. Didnt have any problems with the bar or clips. Yes the clips are plastic but I cant see how anybody is breaking them. I like them better than my spring clips, so I swapped them out.

I heard that the music was supposed to be "FANTASTIC" but I found out that when I'm doing the exercises I dont even hear the music cause I'm listening to the instructor. You have the option of turning the music up but then you cant hear the instructor and you need to be able to hear when they are changing the count.

Oh, forgot about the bar - its ok not the best. I use my weights and bar. (I'm going to give away the bar and weights that they sent me).

The three extra dvds are all cardio - step (30 min) sports attack (30 min) and combat (? min) I've done step and sports attack and they are good short programs didnt do combat cause its kickboxing and I hate kickboxing.

I have purchased a bunch of stuff from beachbody and they never sell the dvds separate its an all or nothing thing with them. Sorry.

I have purchased Chalenes turbo Jam and Chalene Extreme and like PUMP much better but then I love weight lifting. I will lift weights all day before I do 10 minutes of cardio. (I"m not a big fan of Chalene)

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Carol

I just got this yesterday.

The barbell is not bad. It feels pretty sturdy. One of my clips is slightly smaller in diameter than the other, and I can't get it on one end of the bar....or if I do, it won't close. I tried my spring clips from my regular barbell set, and it too has a hard time getting on that end of the bar...so I'm not sure if it's the clip or the bar that is slightly off. The weights are good, and fit my Troy barbell. I figure I can use the bar from the Beach Body set for when I do combat workouts or anything where I need a bar and no weights. The bar weighs around 4.8 pounds.

The only workout I have done so far is the Pump and Burn. I went a little light, not knowing how it would work since the songs are so long. I now know that I can go heavier, especially for back and legs, next time. The chest section was hard for me; my arms always feel like they have no blood flow after a while, and it makes it hard to do that many bench presses. I have to go lighter there.

The Pump Revolution and Pump Extreme do look like killers. Much longer workouts, with more serious arm work. The shorter workouts do not focus on the arms quite as much, as they are being worked while doing deadlifts and rows, etc. The other workouts such as Pump Challenge and Pump and Burn are 20 and 30 minutes, so they are focusing more on big muscle groups. I do wish the core sections were a bit longer, but the planks are tough.

I am combining this with P90X 2 for a rotation, and then move from P90X 2 into Body Pump with Rev Abs. I hope I see some more muscle gain. I'm tall and lean, and find it really hard to gain muscle.

Hi girls!;)

Thank you for all your comments and insights. I've made the decision to not purchase Les Mills Pump at beach body at all. I think its too expensive and I don't like being forced to buy a barbell system that is not up to the quality of the one I already have (mine is standard threaded 110 lb set). I've been wanting a standard barbell set that will use 1 inch spring clips for faster loads than my threaded bar does. It just really bugs me to have to pause a dvd to load and unload my bar, its a pain. I do think the Les Mills Pump system does look like fun but I don't want to purchase their bar, clips or weights. I think BB is way over charging for this and misses the boat IMO by not offering Les Mill Pump dvds only as another option. I've decided its a better value to wait until february to get a troy lite barbell set. As far as the workouts go, I do like the looks of them but I have lots of top quality strength workouts by Cathe and will use those. I also can use Jari Love's older stuff and her latest three dvds to use to create a high reps low weight type of workout for tons less money. I will not consider buying Les Mills Pump dvds if they are offered on ebay or other sources because frankly its not worth the chance of getting sued by BB. I don't need that nightmare, so I'll just pass altogether on getting Les Mills Pump, its too bad BB can't do this right to begin with and offer a configuration of only the dvds from the set, but they don't so I won't be purchasing it. Thank you all for your valuable thoughts and opinions on this I really appreciate it. Thank you, Cathletes are the best!;)

Nora

Hi girls!;)

Thank you for all your comments and insights. I've made the decision to not purchase Les Mills Pump at beach body at all. I think its too expensive and I don't like being forced to buy a barbell system that is not up to the quality of the one I already have (mine is standard threaded 110 lb set). I've been wanting a standard barbell set that will use 1 inch spring clips for faster loads than my threaded bar does. It just really bugs me to have to pause a dvd to load and unload my bar, its a pain. I do think the Les Mills Pump system does look like fun but I don't want to purchase their bar, clips or weights. I think BB is way over charging for this and misses the boat IMO by not offering Les Mill Pump dvds only as another option. I've decided its a better value to wait until february to get a troy lite barbell set. As far as the workouts go, I do like the looks of them but I have lots of top quality strength workouts by Cathe and will use those. I also can use Jari Love's older stuff and her latest three dvds to use to create a high reps low weight type of workout for tons less money. I will not consider buying Les Mills Pump dvds if they are offered on ebay or other sources because frankly its not worth the chance of getting sued by BB. I don't need that nightmare, so I'll just pass altogether on getting Les Mills Pump, its too bad BB can't do this right to begin with and offer a configuration of only the dvds from the set, but they don't so I won't be purchasing it. Thank you all for your valuable thoughts and opinions on this I really appreciate it. Thank you, Cathletes are the best!;)

Nora

My thoughts exactly. I'll buy when they offer ONLY the DVDs. I can wait and/or use other GREAT workouts!

Don't bother

I have Pump and am on week 7. They talk too much between tracks and it's just not seeing great results like other programs. Barbell is even hurting my shoulders and back more than dumbbell use. Just not great and I will sell this set and not do it again.

I just got my set plus the cardio, I have not done much yet, so my opinions are limited. I actually really like the barbell, padding it was a great idea, and although I have other bars, I'm enjoying the padding a lot. I only did the beginning dvd to get a feel and don't see any reason to repeat that one, it's really basic.

Because of the reports on the clips, I am too nervous to use them with my cats around so I bought new clips from amazon that are great (lock jaw I believe they are called), AND it turns out, BB is now sending 2 sets of clips, and one is reportedly different than the first set. So I contacted the coach I bought through and they are shipping me this newer version, I literally just got this yesterday, and today I hear others are receiving the 2 sets, but they made it right very quickly.

Ok, so I also did Combat, and I absolutely LOVED it. I agree they talk too much in the beginning, but in Combat they don't stop and chat in the middle. The workout started slow so at first I thought it would be too easy, but it ramped up, I found the music really motivating, and just had fun for the whole workout, felt really energized at the end, and was dripping sweat. And btw, I am really sore in a good way from this workout today especially in my upper back and triceps.

I don't like Step at all, so I'm debating even bothering with that one, but I saw a clip and it looks more "athletic" so I'll try it with low expectations, and I will definitely try Sports Attack.

I have a feeling the music in the weighted workouts is what's going to really get me motivated, I hope to love these as much as Combat, so far off to a good start!

Hopefully they will eventually sell it without a barbell for those who only want that option, I totally understand not wanting to spend so much money on something you already have, I had a little found money from my bday, so this seemed like a good way to splurge, and I'm glad I did.

You might want to look over at videofitness.com. There was a long thread awhile back and a lot of enthusiastic praise for the music. Also some clips. If I could just buy the dvds and not all that equipment, I would do it. I loved the music.

I would buy the dvd's too, if I didn't have to buy the cheesy, sub-par barbell when I already have a good one.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great reviews and info! I'm still undecided...I do NOT have a Troy Lite barbell system, and I'm not sure about the quality of the BB bar that comes with the DVD set. :confused:

Hmm...gotta think on it some more...

Thank you Cathletes!!

Update: 2 more dvds done:

This morning I did Pump and Burn the 30 minute dvd and Sports Attack also 30 minutes.

So Pump and Burn was a good and sweaty workout focusing on the larger muscle groups in order to get a good workout in, in 30 minutes. The intensity sort of varies depending on the body parts I found more challenging, and I assume that would be different for different people. Each segment was between 4 and 5 minutes long and lasted for one song. The music was very good, but honestly I can't even remember it at this point I was just focusing on getting those reps in. It seemed harder in the beginning, then by the end I felt like I should tack on another workout.

If you like Cathe's High Reps, I believe you will like this, the format is very similar, but all segments except abs is done with the bar.

After Pump and Burn I did Sports Attack from the Cardio add on set. I really enjoyed this one too, it provided an athletic style interval workout without being crazy high impact and they have a modifier too, but it certainly got my heart rate up and left me super sweaty at the end but still energized and not wiped out. Again, I thought the music was great and motivating, and I kind of have a crush on that one trainer, Petter/Peter (sp?) :eek:.

Granted I have only used the set a couple of times, but I'm not sure I understand the issues with the barbell or why people think they are of a bad quality, I really like this barbell because of the padding. I did buy my own "locks" but I heard they are sending 2 sets now, seemingly one of the sets is different (hopefully better) than the original.

Granted I have only used the set a couple of times, but I'm not sure I understand the issues with the barbell or why people think they are of a bad quality, I really like this barbell because of the padding. I did buy my own "locks" but I heard they are sending 2 sets now, seemingly one of the sets is different (hopefully better) than the original.

Thanks Dela for the update!

I've read mixed reviews about the barbell's quality. I'm glad it is working for you though! :D It gives me hope that if I get the set, I will enjoy the barbell. I do like that it is padded. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.