Killer At Large

wow!

That is a movie I will see. Does anyone know when it will come out?

I wonder what it will take for this country to wake up and realize that something needs to be changed about our lifestyles and what put into our bodies. The sad thing is that real food, healthy food, is so much more expensive than the junk that makes us obese... what is up w/ that?

Missy

I agree. Healthy food is more expensive. It's more expensive because it has a short shelf life. Junk food is cheap and more convenient because you can buy it in bulk lasting months and months on the shelf.

I make at least 2 trips to the grocery store for fresh fruit and veggies.

I don't know what it's going to take to make a real change. Last time I was at the grocery store I had 2 severely overweight women in front of me in line. One was in an electric cart. Their basket had nothing but cases of diet soda! They had a basket full and only needed to hand the clerk one six pack to check out. I'll bet that basket full was less than $10.
My full cart was $275.

healthy food, is so much more expensive than the junk that makes us obese...

I'm not sure I agree. Definitely not "SO MUCH" more expensive.

Overall, I think things balance out, unless you're comparing someone who lives on $1 burgers to someone who buys lots of "superfoods."

A bag of potato chips costs around $3, and contains one or two potatoes, which would cost much less if they were bought as potatoes.

If you buy foods in bulk (at a food co-op or health-food store), you can get the basics of beans and grains pretty cheap.

Even organic apples at my local grocery store cost about the same---and sometimes less--than the glossy, wax-covered non-organic ones.

And of course, there's the 'hidden cost' of cheap foods, when one factors in the medical and dental bills that one might not have had to pay had one spent a bit more on food to prevent and/or reduce the chances of disease.

Junk food is cheap and more convenient because you can buy it in bulk lasting months and months on the shelf.

There's a quote I like a propos of this:

"Preserve Human Life, Not Shelf Life."

I'm rather suspicious of foods that have an expiration date 2 years into the future (unless they're in some super, hermetically-sealed container). Seems to me if even bacteria aren't interested in it, our bodies might have a hard time processing it.

Seems to me if even bacteria aren't interested in it, our bodies might have a hard time processing it.

I agree. I've read and heard more times than I can count that no type of bacteria or any organism will go near margarine and that it never goes bad. It's basically plastic. Yuck.

Last edited:
When it comes to our family grocery bill, eating better has cost us more. We keep track of our monthly expenses, and the numbers don't lie.

However, I figure we're investing in our health, both present and future. The little bit more I pay now will hopefully mean we'll pay less in medical bills down the road.

My gosh, that 12 year old getting lipo brought tears to my eyes.

I've always thought this is going to be our downfall, our "lead poisoning". I heard recently that statistically, 40 years from now 100% of the U.S. will be obese. Even if that's not going to be the case- perhaps only 80% or 90% will be obese- how can a nation defend itself at the most basic level? Are we going to have to outsource our military???

Kathryn, I agree. Healthy food is more expensive, product for product. But what really gets my goat is when that gets used as an excuse to feed your kids cheetos. My mother supported three kids on a grad student stipend with no welfare. I never ate wonder bread. I ate whole grain bread and fruits and vegetables. Now as a result we didn't have money left over for the rest of the typical American "staples" like chips, soda, frozen pizzas, extended cable, etc. Fine by her. She didn't view our health as optional.

You bring up a huge point with the medical costs, also. I always had medical coverage through my father, but after the divorce my mother had none for about ten years. You better believe she was eating her fruits and veggies.

And of course, there's the 'hidden cost' of cheap foods, when one factors in the medical and dental bills that one might not have had to pay had one spent a bit more on food to prevent and/or reduce the chances of disease.

Actually, Medicaid covers those costs for the poor if they are "fortunate" enough to qualify. They may be suffering and not getting the best care mind you but in the short term, such foods work for them. In the meantime, calorie dense processed foods tend to be cheaper (and the co-op or healthfood store is often not readily available to the poor...I can only think of one food co-op in my tri county region and the healthfood stores are uber pricey) and more readily available. For two bucks I can take advantage of a double cheeseburger and an order of fries at McDumpsters. A center cut salmon portion with quinoa and steamed vegetables will cost a bit more. I've been doing what I can to donate fresh items from my garden to food pantries and I hope others will do the same.

Actually, Medicaid covers those costs for the poor if they are "fortunate" enough to qualify. They may be suffering and not getting the best care mind you but in the short term, such foods work for them. In the meantime, calorie dense processed foods tend to be cheaper (and the co-op or healthfood store is often not readily available to the poor...)

In fact, those on WIC, and ultimately Medicaid, are offered a list of foods they are allowed to get w/ their coupons including, but not limited to: Jiffy/other name brand (hydrogenated oils, added sugar and salt), Juicy Juice, cereal (the only "healthy" option being Raisin Bran), Milk - and organic/steroid/hormone-free/non-homogenized isn't even an option (it does vary by state) and you will not find a single fruit or vegetable except for juice, dried peas and carrots... I just cringe at the list! So in essence, the state is providing poor children w/ the tools necessary for obesity and dependency on our broken health care system for in later life. Way to go!

Actually, I looked up the list on the WIC website and here is their menu: "WIC foods include juice, iron-fortified cereal, eggs, cheese, milk, peanut butter, dried beans or peas, iron-fortified infant formula, tuna, and carrots." All protein and little fiber, no live antioxidents, minerals and vitamins - but I guess you count processed breakfast cereal as a good source of minerals and vitamins. :mad:

And as someone who has three children - two being growing boys, I can tell you that it is more expensive to buy healthy. I would cut my grocery bill in half if I didn't buy organic meats/dairy (which we pretty much have gone vegan, even DH, because we can't afford to eat animal products more than twice a week and I am not buying anything that isn't from our local farmer) and used canned veggies and fruit instead of raw vegetables, bought a bag of chips instead of fruit to snack on, etc. Sunday I went grocery shopping and bought a bag of apples for $6 (there were about 10-12 in the bag), yet I could have bought three boxes of granola bars, 12 in a pack, for $7. I agree on the future health aspect and saving money that way w/ less medical bills, but when the economy is the way it is and people are foreclosing their homes and barely making ends meet just to afford gas to get to work (we spend $150 a week in gas-HELLO!) it is very difficult to look far enough into the future to make the sacrafice when todays are so difficult. Grrrr!!! It isn't so tough for our family because my conviction is so strong, but people are really suffering.

I really should get off now, this whole subject, the system and the injustice of it all really isn't good for me. :(

Missy

Last edited:
When I was growing up my family was on a very strict budget. If there were snacks...ie..little debbies or things of that nature we only got one a week.
My mother cooked dinner every night for the most part because they could not afford to take us out. It was not all healthy meals either. I grew up in the south so there was alot of fried foods and casseroles. Meat and potatoes were a main staple in our diets. And I mean hamburger meat (the cheapest kind) not steak...Granted both of my parents were over weight but we chidren were not. To offset all these starchy fat laden meals we were out playing. Not inside with our noses in a video game for hours on end.
I think the activity level of Americans is as much of a problem as the food we eat. In the end if we all just ate a little better and got our families out doing something once in a while it might not be as much of a problem.

Rachel

I think the activity level of Americans is as much of a problem as the food we eat. In the end if we all just ate a little better and got our families out doing something once in a while it might not be as much of a problem.

Rachel

I agree!

Okay, now I am done. :p

Missy

I do not know why some creative lawyer has not started a class action lawsuit against the makers of high fructose corn syrup. That might make something happen....

-Beth

Ugh, I would never be able to watch this movie. Just seeing the clips of food going down the throat or colon or whatever that was, was enough to make me almost lose my breakfast. I'm cured with just the preview! ;)

When I was growing up my family was on a very strict budget. If there were snacks...ie..little debbies or things of that nature we only got one a week.
Same here.
My family didn't have a lot of money (I was shocked when I found out that I earned more working as a TA than my parents did in a year!).

We ate pretty healthfully and within that tight budget: rarely going out to eat--mostly just when going on vacation once or twice in the summer, and stopping at an A&W along the way, or getting a very occasional meal from the local bar that had greasy burgers-- and having a lot of garden veggies in the summer, and home-canned stuff in the winter.

I still got junk food, but not the quantity that kids (and adults) seem to eat these days.

My perspective of healthy foods not having to cost more is probably colored by that, as well as the fact that I'm not thinking of animal products (which are not 'food' for me).

I do not know why some creative lawyer has not started a class action lawsuit against the makers of high fructose corn syrup. That might make something happen....

-Beth

And against those who make hydrogenated oils!

I don't think it would ever happen, because the stuff is so prevalent, and probably there are many manufacturers. Also, unless you can prove a direct cause-effect relationship between a food and an illness, it would be pretty hard to win a case. Besides, I think our country is too sue-happy as is, and a lawsuit isn't the way to go.

And against those who make hydrogenated oils!

I don't think it would ever happen, because the stuff is so prevalent, and probably there are many manufacturers. Also, unless you can prove a direct cause-effect relationship between a food and an illness, it would be pretty hard to win a case. Besides, I think our country is too sue-happy as is, and a lawsuit isn't the way to go.

I think they are working on that

http://www.bantransfats.com/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.