I've just been diagnosed with colon cancer

Dear Joyce,

It broke my heart to read your post and at the same time gave me hope and inspiration at your will and determination. I believe with the advances in medicine these days that this can be overcome. I truly believe in the power of prayer and faith as well. I will keep u in my prayers .. Hugs and well wishes

love,
candy

My running partner's husband had colon cancer a few years ago and all the nine yard that comes with it. Now he is cancer free and running races again!
You'll be in our prayers, all the best to you!

No words of wisdom. Praying for you.

Fresh vegtables that have not been chemically treated or washed really well is very good for you. Maybe juiced if you don't feel like eating.

HTH

Kim

Hi Joyce,
Just wanted to say that you have a great attitude and the right idea to stay educated on how to beat this and to keep your body strong! Thinking of you.

Joanne

Joyce--My heart goes out to you & your in my prayers & thoughts. I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer about 5 years ago at age 37 with 3 children. It had spread throughout my neck so I had about an 7 your surgery and later radiation. Thyroid cancer is one of the better cancers to have if your going to have cancer. Having a good attitude makes a huge difference. When I was allowed to exercise again I started with maybe only 5 minutes, for example maybe just some leg lifts and sit ups & stretching. Prior to surgery I was a hardcore exerciser with Cathe and running 7 to 10 miles a day. This year I can run long distances again! Since my surgery was on my neck I had a hard time breathing! Some times I felt like I would never be able to workout hard again, but I kept trying. I hope this was a little helpful.
Kathi

Joyce, one of my best friends started the journey you are beginning last year at this time. She had a tumor removed, and a large portion of her colon removed, along with a hysterectomy. Her cancer was stage 3, so quite severe.

Her doctors told her they wanted her eating very lightly and exercising as much as she could, so once she recovered enough she started walking. She built up to about 5 miles walking by fall, and started including run intervals also. She also started her chemo last September. They recommended a port be put in, but that turned into her biggest nightmare. The port became infected and continued to have bouts of infection until January when they finally took it out. Otherwise she went in once a week for 3 weeks straight and then would have 1 week off. This treatment continued for 6 months and she had her final one in February. In March they did an MRI to see if anything had metastisized and April she got the good news that nothing had, and so far so good. With colon cancer treatment you do not lose your hair, or get real sick. She lost about 35 pounds the first 3 months, but we think it was partly because she was sick from the repeating infections. She would have her treatment on Tuesday and she would feel somewhat tired and drained Thursday and Friday, but no nauseau. She was very cautious to avoid people who were sick with colds and things because she was more prone to getting sick, something she could do because her only child is 17.

Do you know what stage you are in yet? That is important information as it will guide the doctors in what type of treatment they should give you.

Joyce,
I see you have received alot of support and encouragement here. People are so caring in this community. I also wanted to offer my hope to you as well. Although cancer seems like a devastating diagnosis, from what I understand colon cancer is very treatable and you have every reason to be encouraged and hopeful in your long term health. That you are as fit as you are will definitely go a long way toward a good recovery. I was devastated with upon getting a breast cancer diagnosis years ago, but now after surgery and radiation I hardly ever think about it. I have a friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer around the same time as my breast cancer and she is cancer free now as well.

I attribute years of avid fitness to my body's ability to fight back.

I don't know any books to recommend off the top of my head, but if you search the internet or have access to an excellent bookstore I am sure you will find alot of helpful materials. Best of luck to you.

Linda

Dear Joyce, I also wish to offer my encouragement and prayers. I don't have firsthand knowledge but I searched "cancer" at amazon.com and there are several books you might find useful. I wish you all the strength and courage you might need and I know your wonderful attitude and your family are going to help you along the road ahead. Many blessing to you!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Hi Joyce! I just wanted to say I commend you on your inspiring attitude and motivation to being healthy. Sounds like you have a terrific family and support system - you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you!

Jo

Hi Joyce,

I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice. I do want to offer you lots of support and good wishes, though. Best of luck!

Gina

Joyce-

I have no advice but offer you my sincere prayers and priase you for your positive outlook. By the looks of this thread you certainly have tapped into a nice array of resources to check out! This group of Catheites continues to be supportive in so many ways!

Joyce:

I haven't had your experience, but I had to respond to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep up your positive attitude.

Jen

Hi Joyce!
Unfortunately, I do have experiences to share with you. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in January and believe it or not, my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer in December! My family really got hit! I've had the surgery, the chemo and will be starting radiation soon. My dad had surgery but didn't need the chemo or radiation.

As others have mentioned, attitude really does make a difference. You really need a good sense of humor going through some of this stuff but believe me, you WILL find the funny in a lot of it :) That said, there will be days that being positive just won't be in the cards and that's okay, too! I found that sometimes I was trying so hard to be strong and happy for other people that it became draining for me, emotionally. Sometimes a good cry or even just a moment of feeling just a wee bit sorry about the situation you're in is warranted AND helpful. (as long as you don't stay there!) It sounds like you already have that under control :)

One thing that was very helpful for me was seeking out forums. I've been so forum oriented over the last 6 or so years with all the fitness sites I frequent. I knew that there had to be something out there for cancer, too and there was! The ones that I visit are geared towards breast cancer but do a google search and I bet you can find one for you, too.

Another site with some helpful info is www.livingwithit.org. It may seem oriented just towards breast and lung cancer but go into both sections. There will be an opportunity to send away for a great cookbook (FREE!!!) called Eating Well through Cancer. They also offer free subscriptions to Cure magazine.

Feel free to pm me if you have other questions, I'd be happy to help!
Karen :)

I absolutely 2nd Ajocks recomendation for Lance Armstrong's book "It's Not About The Bike"

Love and Prayer to you.
Edith :+

Hi Joyce,
You and your family are in my thoughts. I would recommend talking to a Naturopathic physician. It depends what state your in how easily you can find one. A good website with liscenced physician locater is
www.naturopathic.org. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.
Sabine

Hi Joyce,

I don't have any recommendations, but I wanted to give you another vote of support. My mom's friend was diagnosed with colon cancer a few months ago, and he's been through various treatments and is doing really well now!

Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.