Is your dog a killer, too?

I have not read all of the replies so this may have been mentioned. It just occurred to me that it could be possible that by this behavior continueing it is fueling the fire so to speak. Not that the owner is allowing this behavior on purpose - not laying blame - but is it possible with each kill it is wanting more. Am I making my point clear here? This behavior should not be continued. Maybe someone can word my point better than I :confused:
Maybe some obedience classes as someone mentioned.

Carrie - thank you :)

Tami - maybe you are thinking that once a dog tastes blood, and the "thrill" of the hunt and kill, it will want to do it again and again. If the owner does nothing to discourage and stop the behaviour, the dog will think it is ok and it probably brings about a reaction anyway so it could very well lead the dog to want to continue. It could be that something happened in her life at her prior home that her current owner could not possibly know anything about. It will take a lot of work to break her of this tragic "habit", if it is even possible. It is only fair to the dog, her owner and other animals out there to seek proper training.

Better hope your dog doesn't meet a porcupine. My friends dogs were missing for 2 days and he was desperate. They crawled and I do mean crawled home on their bellies covered with quills. They spent 2 days at the vet, were sedated, and had the quills pulled out. What a mess.

Oh my gosh - the poor baby. At least it had a happy ending. Nature is certainly odd, to say the very least. And vets are superheros sometimes :) And pet owners should do everything that they possibly can to keep their pets safe, as well as the other animals who share this world with us. Still, sometimes, things happen and thank goodness for the amazing vets.

This thread is very disturbing to say the least. Dogs killing other animals and that picture just put me over the edge. I know it was posted for a reason but I don't like seeing animals suffer. So I won't be looking at this thread anymore.

This thread is very disturbing to say the least. Dogs killing other animals and that picture just put me over the edge. I know it was posted for a reason but I don't like seeing animals suffer. So I won't be looking at this thread anymore.

I completely agree. I want to be sick now. I'm so sorry I even read this thread. Ah well, it's my own fault, I should have avoided reading when I saw the topic.

Best of luck with getting the dogs some help though.

I'm very sorry. It is disturbing. I posted it to show how dangerous it is to allow your pet to chase after other animals.
I deleted my post. I'll try to post a link with a warning for those who would like to view the photos.
Again, I apologize.

Hi Shannon! We just got a Cockapoo puppy...she's 12 weeks old tomorrow. We are so in love with her!:)

Hi eminenz2, don't feel bad. I don't think they meant anything mean or hurtful by it. I have a crazy dog too, a cockapoo. She's only 12lbs, but she barks like a 100lb dog. I get the dirtiest looks when I go places with her. I've trained her not to do that, but you know what? It's ok! :)

All dogs need work, it doesn't matter if they are the smartest one on the block! So it's ok, just do your best!

The prey drive is not a basic obedience training issue like sit, stay, down etc. it's an instinct that has gone a little out of hand with your dog. She will do this as long as you let her. You may be offended by me saying this but it is a problem. The problem is not that she is going after small animals and kills them, it's that you continue to let her do that by not controlling her.

Thanks Carola for the post. I have a dog with a strong prey drive too and I am very concerned about him hurting small animals (so far all he's gone after) but also small children as I just don't know what could happen. I guess I've stopped trusting him. We've done everything to prevent him from getting loose (a very smart dog that can open doors) but he did kill a kitten and a bird. We just got a shock collar from my brother in law who said it helped with the headstrong part of the dog. Our dog again is very smart. He can open lever doors, has learned to shut them (LOL), sit, down, not too good on stay but that is because of us... Leave it works some of the time (need to go get the freeze dried liver again!). Anyhow, I know he can learn to do most things (and has a wonderful personality as long as the prey drive isn't activated), but I was just curious what you thought about shock collars for mild correction in addition to positive reinforcement for correct behavior? I really want to make sure he doesn't hurt anybody or any more animals.

Bell collars for dogs?

I am an animal lover who loves all animals -- dogs, cats, birds, squirrels, etc. I tend to think that there is a natural instinct for dogs and cats to kill smaller animals, and that's that if one allows their pet to run outdoors unleashed.

On another thread I suggested that cat owners, not only fix their pets, but also to buy bell collars. As a birdwatcher, I notice that birds are very alert to noises, and a bell collar on a cat will generally warn birds to fly away.

My questions is: are their bell collars for dogs? If they do exist, this would help warn the smaller prey.
-- David

My questions is: are their bell collars for dogs? If they do exist, this would help warn the smaller prey.
-- David

Yes, you can find them. I've used them before. Also chain collars (the ones that tighten with pressure when attached to a leash) rattle when the dog moves, so it can work similarly.

Shani - I PM'd you.

Thanks Carola for the post. I have a dog with a strong prey drive too and I am very concerned about him hurting small animals (so far all he's gone after) but also small children as I just don't know what could happen. I guess I've stopped trusting him. We've done everything to prevent him from getting loose (a very smart dog that can open doors) but he did kill a kitten and a bird. We just got a shock collar from my brother in law who said it helped with the headstrong part of the dog. Our dog again is very smart. He can open lever doors, has learned to shut them (LOL), sit, down, not too good on stay but that is because of us... Leave it works some of the time (need to go get the freeze dried liver again!). Anyhow, I know he can learn to do most things (and has a wonderful personality as long as the prey drive isn't activated), but I was just curious what you thought about shock collars for mild correction in addition to positive reinforcement for correct behavior? I really want to make sure he doesn't hurt anybody or any more animals.

We put a bell on our dogs collar when hiking in alaska. I think the idea is to keep bears away and other critters. Unfortunately when we were sleeping in the cabin she wanted out and we thought it was to go pee but she bit a porcupine. We had to pull the quills out but she was ok thankfully and lived for many more years. She was very well trained but I guess we were caught off guard there. Didn't realize what happened till it was too late. (was very fast)

I am also disturbed by the thread. the stories of mangled animals and scared fawns. :(

I'd definetly either keep the dog on a leash or get some special training as already stated. I wouldn't get offended by the advice. It is sound advice and seems appropriate for the situation.

Last edited:
I am an animal lover who loves all animals -- dogs, cats, birds, squirrels, etc. I tend to think that there is a natural instinct for dogs and cats to kill smaller animals, and that's that if one allows their pet to run outdoors unleashed.

On another thread I suggested that cat owners, not only fix their pets, but also to buy bell collars. As a birdwatcher, I notice that birds are very alert to noises, and a bell collar on a cat will generally warn birds to fly away.

-- David

David,

I have cats and I can't tell you how many bell collars I have purchased over the years trying to give the poor critters a chance, but those darn cats just lose them constantly.

an opinion from the other side

I rarely post but I can't help myself. No one has even taken the time to comment that the OP took a rescue dog! I seriously explored the rescue dog situation in No Va and some of the no kill shelters/ associations are just brutal. I'm not sure that being in a 8x10 pen all of your life is any better than death. Some of the dogs are there for years before they are adopted, if ever. I recently went down the rescue dog route only to get a dog that bit my BIL and son. I've never seen such aggression towards people and I've had Dobemans for 20+ years. I bet the OP wan't told that the dog she got had a strong prey instinct and that may be why it was a rescue dog.

It's not that the OP was given bad advice on the thread it's just that some of the opinions on the thread come across as a personal attack; whether they are meant to be or not.

And it's like some of you have your heads in the sand. Do you not think that wild animals get killed in nature on a daily basis? I rarely go to work that there is not another dead deer on the side of the road not to mention a fox, racoon, or groundhog. We don't have a rabbit in our neighborhood anymore and it's probably because the fox have eaten them all.

Both of my current dogs chase prey when they are in the woods. I'm just lucky now and neither of them have the guts to kill. I've had dogs that killed groundhogs and other small prey and I don't think it made me a bad person and it didn't make them bad dogs. I tried my best to train and get help, but some things just can't be stopped and in the big picture, I don't think that it's that big of a deal. It surely didn't mean that my dog spent the rest of it's life on a string.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.