Is this happening to anyone else?

FourAM

Cathlete
I do not start my STS rotation until Monday but I decided to go ahead and test it out today with disk one.
I did all my 1RM so there are all the odd ball weight increments like 13 and 17 but I thought I would just wing it with the weights I have. Not cutting it! There is definitely a science to it so now I know on Monday that 12's wont work for 13 and 15' s for 17's and although that is a little disappointing, due to having to purchase more equipment or figure some way to incorporate my ankle weights:eek:, it is nice to know I did not do those 1RM's for nothing.:D
Thanks Cathe for putting the work into a great program.

But there is one other thing. Some of my 1RM's seemed to high, like I did something wrong in my test and way overestimated myself. So I was wondering if this might be due to getting worn out during the workout, and since I did my 1RM's sort of separately and not at such a fast pace that some might not be accurate? Anyone had similar experience?
Rachel

Do you mean you're not able to complete all the reps in a set with that weight? I think that you have the right weight if you are able to complete at least most of the reps.

I've wondered about that too - how when you do your tests you're not already on your 3rd set or whatever like you are doing the workout. I've assumed that situation is covered by the fact that you only do 60% or whatever percentage of your 1RM.

Yes this happened to me. I think I may have overdid the 1rm testing. Also, the pushups on disc 1 just took it out of me.

What I am doing is, if I am getting close to the number of reps in the workout (ie. say like 12 of 15) then I leave the 1rm alone. If not (say 6 of 15), then I adjust the 1rm down say 10-15% from what it was before. Probably had to adjust about 5 or so 1rms down on each of the first two workouts.

Sam

Thanks I just did not want to be the only one:eek:
This morning it was a little disheartening when I burned out fast on some of the sets.:(
But I kind of know what to expect now and hopefully can adjust accordingly.
Thanks again
Rachel

I also found that when I tested the 1RMs with a weight that let me do 15-20 reps, my 1RPM was way too high. When I retested with a weight I could only do 8-10 times, like I was supposed to, the 1RM was right on (and considerably lower). So you really want to use a weight that gets you into that "accurate region" for the 1RM calculations.

My first experience

I did the first sts disc Monday and found that most of the 1RM calculations were correct. I had done a bunch at a time and when I had decent energy.
Some 1RM I overshot and some I had to increase the weights. Not too bad though.

When I get an "oddball" weight like 13, I do what I think I can, either drop to my 12's or go up to 15's. With this first mesocycle for endurance, I figured I might want to go a little safer since endurance is something I need to work on :cool:

I loved the music (no singing, but motivational). I thought Cathe's cues were right on and her constant reminders about form are critical (you think we'd know by now:eek:).

I was laughing out loud trying to keep up with this quick pace; throwing my weights around, kicking my ball out of the way, shoving the step around. I was like a crazy woman getting ready for the next exercise!! And, oh boy, all those pushups! Not blatting at all - I need them. I especially liked the staggered-hand position for something different, although I could hardly do them!!

I can't wait to do the next workout!

Did you just collapse after so many pushups or what? I am trying to prepare myself better for Monday now that I know the pace. But I was doing the same thing. With just a 30 sec rest period I tried to make sure before I started that I had everything ready...like the barbell loaded for the first barbell excersize but it did get pretty hairy there.:D
Rachel

I have also noticed that towards the end of the program, I'm not able to lift what my "goal" weight is. I don't think the 1RMs are off if you can do it in the beginning of the workout and that this is just part of building your endurance/strength. I'm keeping notes of what weight I used and whether or not I could complete the set or if I had to drop down in weight because I was burnt out from the previous exercises. You should be struggling to get the last rep in (I believe) so it makes sense that at the end of the workout it will get more difficult. I think the motto is "listen to what your body is telling you." Now, the next time around with STS I'll check my notes and HOPEFULLY there will be a vast improvement.

sonja

adjustments in weights

Hi Sonya - There were a few exercises that once I got started, I knew I wouldnt be able to do the majority of the exercise so I dropped my weight so to make it an effective workout. If I can do 10 out of the 12 then that's what I do - that's to failure. If I can only do 6, then I lower the weight and finish up.

I cant wait to do the ab workout - everyone is saying how great and different it is. I wanted to get to it tonight, but had to grocery shop and now go out and get my daughter from work - it's about 10 degrees here in Roch. NY. It's getting old!!

If you're getting odd ball numbers like 13 or 17lbs, you can purchase plate mates. They are wonderful. They have magnets on them so you can attach them to your dumbbells and increase your weights in smaller increments. I have 3 pairs of them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.