Is anyone else a bit disturbed by VW's ads?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Is it supposed to be funny to make a game out of punching someone whenever you see a VW? I fail to see the humor. :confused:

You've never heard of "punch buggy, no return"? It's a classic in Canada and I can tell you, seeing one of the original VW bugs is considered a legit reason to punch someone hard in the arm for no other reason.

I don't think they're funny, either.
I think they're rather mean spirited.
Who are they supposed to appeal to: bullies? frat boys?

My husband had to explain the commercial to me. I was like "what the heck are they doing???" He thought I was nuts for never hearing the term "slug bug". I told him it must be a west coast thing. ;) Honestly, I'd never heard of it before though and still don't get the point. Dumb commercial anyways. Doesn't even look like a bug.

Nope, never heard of it.

OK, just so I get it, the point of the "game" is simply to have a reason to punch whomever is standing closest to you? :eek:

Well, it brings back memories from my childhood. We loved it as kids. It kept us occupied in the cars for hours.

It was a great travel game. You called "punch buggy" when you saw a VW bug. You scored up points for the type of color cars...like red punch buggy got 5 points, gold ones were rare and so on.

OK, just so I get it, the point of the "game" is simply to have a reason to punch whomever is standing closest to you? :eek:

Yes, and that's what made it all the more fun when I was a kid. Because the person sitting next to me was always my one of my brothers or sisters and it gave me a "valid" excuse to punch them:D Slug bug is what we called it. And there was a VW dealership that we would drive by occasionally and I got to punch away!!!!!

We call it 'Slug Bug' and my boys still play it, sometimes if no siblings are around I'm the one who gets punched. Although, they have learned I punch back - reflexes - ya know!:p

When we saw the commercial we all laughed out loud - no explanation needed.

I used to play the punch buggy game when I was younger! LOL Never done in a malicious way. It was all for fun. Never actually hurt eachother! :)

I used to play the punch buggy game when I was younger! LOL Never done in a malicious way. It was all for fun. Never actually hurt eachother! :)

I played this game too! It was the only way I could hit my brother and swear I was only kidding.:p:D:cool:

I loved Slug Bug!!! I still get the urge to punch someone and say Slug Bug when I see the old ones. Great memories!!

What about BANDIT? IIRC we would punch someone when we saw a car w/one headlite too! We were a mean bunch! :D:p

my kids do the slug bug - but they've expanded to volkswagons in general -- ANY volkswagon elicits a slug. Like Janis though, I hit back so they don't usually hit me :D

I remember the license plate thing when I was a kid. . . I seem to recall my brother would slap me in the forehead with that one and then die laughing.

Ok, now I feel deprived since my parents never thought to teach me this game! I guess they had enough trouble with me and my sisters punching each other. ;)

I feel totally in the minority, I guess b/c I just never found it fun to punch anyone (or get punched by anyone), even my siblings.

I haven't seen the commercial but my girls and I play slug bug all the time! We never hit hard, just a gentle bump. Even the baby yells out "bug bug!" and starts waving her arms around to slug someone!:p:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.