Hysterectomy and weight gain

ReneePruitt

Cathlete
I know a lot of people may not want to say what they have had and it may be to personal. But I am going to get a hysterectomy in January. It is up to me if I am wanting the ovaries removed or not. I have been reading about hormones and all and what happens when the ovaries are removed. But I also have Ovarian cancer in our family so if I decide to take them along with the uterus, it is a preventive thing. If I do not take it out I hear Ovarian cancer is hard to detect until it is to late. Now if I do take out the ovaries I hear it is really hard to lose weight or at worst I will even gain 20 to 30 MORE pounds and on me i am already 10 pounds over what I am suppose to be or even 15 and I am short that can lead to other healthy problems as well. So I guess my question is... Has any of you ladies who has had your ovaries taken with the hysterectomy I guess the radical hysterectomy, have you been able to prevent the weight gain? At least maintain you size you was before surgery? Or able to lose some? Does it really have to be that I will get a bigger belly? No matter what I do? I hope this is not to personal for anyone to answer me. I really have no one else to talk to about this kind of stuff. The sisters I have have not had a hysterectomy and they don't exercise and they smoke and think I am a nut for doing what I do anyway. So I hope someone can give me some hope or some real answers. Also I am trying to figure out if I should do hormones after or not. I wanted to do bio identical hormones but was told those were expensive. Like in thousands of dollars.. who has that kind of money? :( I just want the periods to stop coming twice a month and the headaches to go away. And that in itself keeps me from the exercise.

Renee, I don't have any advice for you (I have not been in your situation), but I hope that someone on the forum can answer your questions. I am sure you are worried about the procedure and the recovery afterward. I imagine this would be like an abrupt menopause? I am interested to hear what other Cathletes have to say on this topic. I wish you a speedy recovery after your procedure and a quick return to the activities that make you feel happy and healthy!

Thank you! You are so kind! I feel young still and I hear that this makes you age faster even. I have a choice to keep my ovaries but I also am afraid of the possible cancer that can arise. So it's a gamble either way. If I keep them I don't have to worry about hormone replacements. I know the topic is personal for so many but how can we learn if we don't talk about it? I'm only 45 and I can't afford a bigger belly but I sure don't want the alternative either. But other health problems come from weight gain to. I'd love to hear from women who had the total hysterectomy and found away to be energetic still and kept the weight off somehow but all the things I read are depressing! I did however read on one forum a few women said it is possible but hard. Soo I guess I just have to figure it out .

Renee,
I had a hysterectomy 20 months ago. I need a colon resection and that operation could not be done until my uterus and fibroids were taken out. The plan was to remove my uterus and fallopian tubes. My doctor said that the current research believes that ovarian cancer starts in the tubes. Even though I had gone through menopause 7 years prior, he said the ovaries still produce some hormones so he planned on leaving them in.

There is a web site called hystersisters with the dot com. You can find a lot of info, support and forums there. It helped me.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

I have gained ten pounds and am having a devil of a time losing them!

Last edited:
Hi Renee,
I had a hysterectomy with ovaries left in place eleven years ago. I'll be 50 next month. I tell my girlfriends that I'm so glad that I had the surgery. For many, this probably isn't a popular sentiment. But, as I have said many times, for me, I got rid of all of the worst parts of being a woman - no cramps, no birth control, no products. :) Weight hasn't been a real issue for me, just the normal 5-8 pounds that I've always wanted to get rid of. Everyone's experience is different, and I'm sure mine would have been different if the ovaries were removed (instant menopause). For me it was a good decision. Good luck in making your decision.

Hi Renee,

I had a hysterectomy exactly three weeks ago, so I'm still in the recovery phase. They left my right ovary, but removed my uterus, cervix, and left ovary (had a cyst in it). I had issues with fibroids and heavy bleeding that has kept me anemic for years. I'm 44. My belly was already bloated from the enlarged uterus, and I'm sure the hormone craziness didn't help with my weight control. The doctor told me my right ovary would continue to make the hormones needed so that I do not go into menopause, or require HRT. It's still too soon to tell whether this will have an impact on my weight control. It certainly seems to be the case that menopausal women frequently experience weight gain. But I don't know whether anyone has teased out with certainty whether the weight gain is a result of lowered activity or slower metabolism due to aging in general (as menopause typically begins when women are entering advanced ages), or the hormonal changes of menopause. Regardless, you are certainly in charge, here. You know that speed of metabolism is influenced by muscle mass - so keep lifting weights. You know that calories and nutrition are critical for weight control - so make healthy, controlled eating your priority. You know that a strong heart keeps your circulation strong, your organs healthy, and your brain feeling good - so keep doing your favourite cardio. Really, you could worry about possible weight gain, which you can have some control over, or ovarian cancer, which you do not. Weight control in your 40's and 50's is not as easy as when you're in your 20's, regardless of whether you have your ovaries or not. Keep those ovaries, and you will have two things to worry about: weight control and cancer. Remove the ovaries, and you only have to worry about the weight control.

Of course, all decisions are informed by your own values and priorities, so you may not agree with my reasoning. Fair enough! Good luck with making your decision. Healthy decisions are perhaps the toughest decisions we have to make.

Cheers,

I also had a partial hysterectomy (uterus only) a few years ago. It was and remains one of the best things I've done. I was given numerous options to deal w/ my issues. I had done some research, talked to other women and was DONE w/ my uterus. I was not going to have more kids so that was not a problem. I felt so much better. So much so that when I was given the green light to start working out again, I felt renewed and energized and went back to my wkouts like an animal. That's how great I felt. You have to weigh your options thinking about what is important to you! Put the pros and cons on paper so you can see which is the best choice for you. We're here for you! Good luck!

Hi Renee, I have not had a hysterectomy so I don't have any experience to share with you. I can only imagine how hard of a decision this is for you. I always try to handle things the natural way first and if that doesn't work I change gears. The one thing that I thought of is what a holisitic practitioner says is that organs were put in our body for a reason and she believes to never have our body parts removed. I get that to a point but I think once in a while it may be necessary. Anyway...... in case you are interested in how she may be able to help you, please visit www.karensenergy.com. I started working with her over a year ago and I definitely feel healthier. I completely agree with tlc that you have to weigh your options and list the pros and cons to see what's best for you.

You came to the right place. If you don't find a Cathlete that has had a similar experience, we certainly are here to give you all the support we can.

I wish you all the luck in your decision making.

Brenda

Hi Renee,
I'm sure this decision is weighing heavily on your mind. I've not had a hysterectomy, just uterine ablation for heavy periods. But in terms of your family history of ovarian cancer, do you perhaps have access to genetic testing for BRCA1 nd BRCA2 mutations? I'm not a physician but I do believe these genetic mutations are associated with a higher risk of developing both breast and ovarian cancer. There may be a cost factor but maybe discuss this with your MD as the results could help with the decision making process.
Good luck with whatever decision you make,
Jamie

Hi Renee,

I had a hysterectomy exactly three weeks ago, so I'm still in the recovery phase. They left my right ovary, but removed my uterus, cervix, and left ovary (had a cyst in it). I had issues with fibroids and heavy bleeding that has kept me anemic for years. I'm 44. My belly was already bloated from the enlarged uterus, and I'm sure the hormone craziness didn't help with my weight control. The doctor told me my right ovary would continue to make the hormones needed so that I do not go into menopause, or require HRT. It's still too soon to tell whether this will have an impact on my weight control. It certainly seems to be the case that menopausal women frequently experience weight gain. But I don't know whether anyone has teased out with certainty whether the weight gain is a result of lowered activity or slower metabolism due to aging in general (as menopause typically begins when women are entering advanced ages), or the hormonal changes of menopause. Regardless, you are certainly in charge, here. You know that speed of metabolism is influenced by muscle mass - so keep lifting weights. You know that calories and nutrition are critical for weight control - so make healthy, controlled eating your priority. You know that a strong heart keeps your circulation strong, your organs healthy, and your brain feeling good - so keep doing your favourite cardio. Really, you could worry about possible weight gain, which you can have some control over, or ovarian cancer, which you do not. Weight control in your 40's and 50's is not as easy as when you're in your 20's, regardless of whether you have your ovaries or not. Keep those ovaries, and you will have two things to worry about: weight control and cancer. Remove the ovaries, and you only have to worry about the weight control.

Of course, all decisions are informed by your own values and priorities, so you may not agree with my reasoning. Fair enough! Good luck with making your decision. Healthy decisions are perhaps the toughest decisions we have to make.

Cheers,

I just turned 38 last week and I had a complete hysterectomy a week prior to my birthday. The original plan was to remove a large abdominal tumor. All tests and scan indicated it was non cancerous, however once inside the doctor discovered it was indeed ovarian cancer. Luckly, it was stage one and contained. I have not one single risk factor, other than being a women. And thankfully, it was large enough and grew fast enough that it had to be removed. If it had been small, and not pushing on my kidneys, stomach, spine, ect; I might never have known it was cancer until it was too late. I don't know about weight gain and hormones because it's so early, but after waiting more than a week for the pathology report, I can tell you that getting a belly or gaining some weight is a minor concern considering what the outcome could have been. Having peace of mind is worth much more to me.

FiddleFit
Thank you I really love the way you put that. I just had so many others tell me other stories about what happens when ovaries are removed. And I knew coming to this forum I could trust all the ladies here to get real people to get honest answers. Like I was saying I was given the choice to keep them or not but I was leaning towards total hysterectomy. Then I had a sister who said she read if they start cutting in there it can cause cancer. See, so many things people say can scare you.
I love how you worded this whole thing! You made sense! A lot of sense! How did u feel after? Was you in a lot of pain? Just wonder what I can expect?

Thanks everyone for your advice!! I Really needed different perspectives from people who are not going through it right now. Fresh eyes ya know? It is hard to see things correctly or clearly when u are the one in that situation. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories and advice. I think I am going to do the total hysterectomy and just really focus on eating right. I think as long as I do that I won't have to worry about the other health issues like cholesterol and any of those things. I notice it is my female problems that prevent me from being consistent with exercise. So maybe once that's under control I will be more consistent and I will be even more healthier. I am so glad I am a part of this forum!!

I know a lot of people may not want to say what they have had and it may be to personal. But I am going to get a hysterectomy in January. It is up to me if I am wanting the ovaries removed or not. I have been reading about hormones and all and what happens when the ovaries are removed. But I also have Ovarian cancer in our family so if I decide to take them along with the uterus, it is a preventive thing. If I do not take it out I hear Ovarian cancer is hard to detect until it is to late. Now if I do take out the ovaries I hear it is really hard to lose weight or at worst I will even gain 20 to 30 MORE pounds and on me i am already 10 pounds over what I am suppose to be or even 15 and I am short that can lead to other healthy problems as well. So I guess my question is... Has any of you ladies who has had your ovaries taken with the hysterectomy I guess the radical hysterectomy, have you been able to prevent the weight gain? At least maintain you size you was before surgery? Or able to lose some? Does it really have to be that I will get a bigger belly? No matter what I do? I hope this is not to personal for anyone to answer me. I really have no one else to talk to about this kind of stuff. The sisters I have have not had a hysterectomy and they don't exercise and they smoke and think I am a nut for doing what I do anyway. So I hope someone can give me some hope or some real answers. Also I am trying to figure out if I should do hormones after or not. I wanted to do bio identical hormones but was told those were expensive. Like in thousands of dollars.. who has that kind of money? :( I just want the periods to stop coming twice a month and the headaches to go away. And that in itself keeps me from the exercise.
Hi Renee,

I remembered seeing this article in Cathe's blog called:
"Does Menopause Cause Weight Gain? Find Out What New Research Shows About Menopause and Body Composition"
Here's the link: http://cathe.com/does-menopause-cau...ch-shows-about-menopause-and-body-composition

I don't have anything empirical information to share about Hysterectomies but it looks like Fiddle Fit some of the other Cathletes have you covered in at area. The article actually echoes some of what Fiddle Fit told you.

It think it took courage to address such a personal issue on the forum. I'm glad you did. Many of us are rounding the middle age corner and having to face things like menopause and hysterectomies and threats of female type cancers. Its scary stuff so insight and encouragement from others that have been there can definitely be a comfort to others overwhelmed by all the conflicting information out there.

Thanks for sharing. You will definitely be in my prayers.

-Fitness Friend
Teals

Hi Renee,

I'm so pleased I was able to help you out! Talking things out with people is always a great way to help you get some clarity. I can't speak at all about your sister's statement, but I would verify it with a medical expert before allowing it to influence your decision.

Personally, I would much rather undergo the treatment for obesity (diet & exercise) than I would for the treatment for cancer (chemotherapy, radiation, etc), so I think the possibility of becoming overweight is the preferred risk to take. And, as a Cathlete, you were probably already planning on exercising and eating healthy well into your senior years, so you're already well on your way to the cure! In my years of doing personal training, my main clients were 50+ menopausal women who had suddenly gained some weight around the middle. The fact is, none of them had been consistently exercising or eating healthy up to that point in their lives. I have to presume that the menopausal women who had been doing so were not suddenly experiencing this weight gain and flocking to a personal trainer for the first time in their lives.

Your point about being able to be more active without the female problems to hold you back is a great way to look at it. My anemia and heavy bleeding impacted my fitness abilities dramatically. While I really, really did not want to have a hysterectomy, I had to finally conclude that my quality of life had become too compromised to stick with my principles. Plus, anemia has the effect of starving your organs of oxygen, and long-term damage was going to happen to my heart if I didn't get it resolved. So, I am focusing on the same hope that you are: this decision will allow me to come back stronger than before, regain my previous fitness levels, and improve my quality of life.

The recovery has been quite good so far. I woke up from the operation in the most pain I've ever been in, and they would not give me morphine because I was breathing too slowly! The nurse asked, "Do you normally breathe slowly?", which of course I do - I have strong lungs from the years of being a Cathlete! After I took a few big breaths to convince her I was alright, she gave me the morphine, and life has been good ever since :) . I was home three days after the surgery, and am restricted on lifting anything heavier than 10lbs for 6 weeks. That's been okay - my family is happy to help me out. Since the day I came home, I've been moving as much as possible, but gently. I started off walking around the block three times a day (10 minutes each). I was slow, but I got it done! After a week of that, I went to 1 x 10min walk and 1 x 20min walk. That changed to one 30min walk, which then got up to an hour, eventually. It snowed here a week ago, so instead of risking a slip and fall outside, I've started doing Cathe's beginner workouts, modifying them as needed. I've been using my 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb dumbbells only, staying seated for most of the upper body stuff, and not doing any ab work at all. I do "wall push ups" instead of going down on the floor. If the workout starts to feel intense in any way, I back off and modify it. My goal is simply to circulate the blood and get oxygen throughout the body, because that feels good ;)

The pain is minimal anymore. They had to use the abdominal incision route with me, so I have a lot of internal healing to do. After the first week I was able to move much easier and most of the abdominal bloat had gone (be prepared for a dough-belly for a while - relax, though, it's not fat gain!), after two weeks I was able to cough, sneeze, and laugh without too much pain (although I still need to brace myself), and after three weeks I'm only living with a very dull, mild ache in my pelvis that gets worse when my bladder is full. I haven't used any pain medications for quite some time. So, I'm optimistic that by time my 6 weeks is up, I'll be feeling better than ever! And I no longer have the constant stress of dealing with unpredictable, random, hemorhage-like bleeding! It's like I had a Stressoctomy!

So, that's my story. Many women shared their experiences with me before the surgery and what I learned is that the recovery experience is different for everyone, and you'll only know how it will be for you once you're there. Don't put any expectations on yourself, just take it as it comes. My best tip: if you're staying overnight in the hospital, bring a sleep mask and ear plugs!!

Good luck!

Hi Renee,

I write to offer my support even though my issues with hormones and reproductive health have been different than yours. My mother went through a terrible menopause (17 years !!17!! on Prempro, because that's all they offered her when she went through it; serious hot flashes--like baths, fatigue, headaches, depression, and other fun like that). I'm actually a few months short of 50, but my name reflects how long I've been a happy Cathlete, using her tools and advice to stay healthy through life's changes. For the last ten years I have been going through perimenopause, with an uterine ablation 7 years ago due to nonstop periods (well, if you count 4 days off a month from continuous bleeding/spotting, then it wasn't nonstop). The ablation was a real relief because we're just not designed to be in that state, and I was sick, raw, and unable to do many of my favorite outdoor sports without logistical problems. In the last 3 years I have definitely been progressing with increasing symptoms, particularly in the last year: serious fatigue, difficulty sleeping (have gone 23 days straight this August with only about 1.5 hours a night), lack of interest in things I usually like to do (that comes and goes), headaches, and heart palpitations (yes! heart palpitations are a symptom women going through menopause experience. There are over 60 symptoms actually, even though you usually only see about 10-20 listed). Much of the advice I've read online has been comforting in that I feel less alone with it, but a lot of it relies on the signal marker of bleeding to see where you are, and since I've had the ablation, I don't bleed anymore. It has been helpful to me to read some good information about this complex magic that is our hormonal system and try to understand how it works, and if parts are not in balance, what the symptoms are. I'm still in the reading/research phase as far as making any changes with medication or supplements, although I have had success with the heart palpitations by taking daily magnesium. One of the best books I've read is Dr. Sara Gottfried's The Hormone Cure, especially in doing a fabulous job of explaining how our hormonal system works and going over a lot of case studies of patients she has had in depth. She has a detailed questionaire in the beginning that helps determine where your symptoms are. She also has very detailed information about how to treat each subgroup of us--those with hysterectomies, those with PCOS, with low/high estrogen, with low/high progesterone. Her protocol for treatment includes careful analysis of all of the options out there that you may or may not have read about, and she also has some great discussion about the holistic or mindfulness aspect of yoga and meditation and why it is so helpful to us women who are so often burning the candle at both ends taking care of everyone but ourselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Hormone-Cure-...FNY_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416072952&sr=1-1

Good luck, and I hope everything going ok

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.