Hysterectomy and weight gain

I think that most insurance companies pay for some Hormone Replacement. I pay 3 dollars for Prempro, and it works great. I get a mammogram every year.

I had a total hysterectomy when I was not quite 32. My incision was vertical and there was quite a bit of swelling that took a few weeks to pass (big shirts were in style then too, thankfully). I couldn't take estrogen for 2 years, but have taken it ever since, though I am diminishing the dosage as I age (I'm almost 60).

Even though I had cancer and no choice as to the procedure, there are certainly pros and cons to life before and after. I said a happy good bye to periods, intense mood swings, and pre-menstrual insatiable appetite syndrome. The loss of libido not so much. Thanks to frequent exercise, I recovered rather quickly from the surgery, and did not have any weight issues that I could attribute solely to this early forced menopause. I was easily my fittest and most toned from 45-55, believe it or not! I actually weigh a couple of pounds less than those days, but something does happen to some of us women in our 50's and 60's, sad to say, and I now sport some love handles that were not there before. Let's just call it a "redistribution"......

Best of luck to you, Renee, and heal well. I do believe your commitment to fitness will benefit you in your recovery, both physically and mentally.

Thanks catoclio ! I appreciate your insight! I have a sister who is now 58 and she had a complete hysterectomy and I didn't know that. I thought it was only the uterus. Well she was over weight before and after she decided to make changes because she had cancer of the cervix and it scared her into making healthier lifestyle changes. At 50 she started running and lost 40 pounds now she does 5 k 's and she still has kept it off. She tells me it is the best thing she has done. And gives me encouragement that if I stay healthy and eat healthy I should be fine. And I have to say with my sister having the uterin cancer my aunt with ovarian and me with stage three precancer in my cervix three times I just need to bite the bullet and do it. My headache are everyday when I am on that time of the month and that is two times a month so they feel my headaches are hormonal. And it is hard to function like that. It puts me out of exercising at all for any consistency like that and it is getting worse as I am getting older so with a second opinion he even said given my family history and what I just said it would be best. So I made up my mind I am going to have it done. My surgery is in January. I go see him again in Dec.
thanks everyone for ur help! It helps to get other stories and how others did. It makes a difference I also did sign up for hysteresis ters as well !

Just wanted to offer my support. You need to do what is right for you. I have not had a hysterectomy but was peri menopausal for about 5 years-terible hot flashes-insomnia and mood swings. I just turned 50 about 1 1/2 weeks ago, went to the doctor for my annual check-up about 2 1/2 weeks ago and they have declared me fully menopausal-and I have lost 10 lbs in the last 6 months with no real changes in diet or exercise (just stress from my 22 year old and I do realize what a huge roll stress can play). The additional stress ended and my weight has stayed stable. They have not put me on any HRT at all. My doctor would like to see how I handle this without anything at all-so far so good. I wish you the best of luck!!

Wow thank you for your story! I wish u continued success without HRT then! That is great. I'm sorry about ur stress. I can understand that about the adult children. I have had that for a while now. But no matter what age they are or how far away they are and even if they are no longer on this earth I can tell ya we as moms worry about them no matter what. I am 45 but my son was 17 when he started doing things he should not and at the time I was only 36 or 37 and I felt at time like I was already 65 and no sleep. But no looking back, I wish I had those days because I still had hope. Hope things was getting or going to get better. And it did for a while. But I tell my friend now who is stressing about her son to try to remember that when there is life .. There is still hope. And hang on to that.
But I love coming to this forum to get advice on everything from the littlest things like make up to the biggest things like health and surgeries because I always know there is a wide range of opinions and experiences but they will be honest and real! No punches pulled. Just honest and very insightful and very knowledgable information from women who have been educated in the topic by reading up on it or have already been there themselves! I love and trust all the ladies on this forum you ladies are so cool!! Lol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.