How do you get in your flax seed?

sunsdaughter

Cathlete
So, I'm trying to be better about getting in my 2 tbsp of ground flax seed per day, but I'm not sure how. I don't eat a lot of cereal or oatmeal (maybe once a week or less) and I'm not a baker. I've tried it in my yogurt and cottage cheese but I don't really like the texture. Tonight, I've sautéed chicken and kale and I've sprinkled some ground flax seed into the kale...we'll see how that turns out. :)

How do you make sure that you get your flax seed daily? Looking forward to hearing your ideas!!

Thanks!!

L Sass said:
I opt for the flax oil - in my protein shake. Sorry, that's no help huh?

It may be of help to me! :). I'm going to give this a try. Any specific brand of flax oil you prefer? TIA.

Hmm . . . my two favorite ways are in oatmeal and yogurt, so I'm no help there. I also like it in smoothies.

I grind my flax seed right before using it and I don't heat it or bake with it because I was under the impression that heat and light destroy the beneficial properties of the flax. Am I correct on this? Hopefully others can chime in.

Flax seed oil is not nearly as beneficial as the ground up seeds. I just mix my ground up seeds in a glass of orange juice before my morning workout.

I was thinking that if you didn't like the texture of ground flax seed in some things, you might want to try chia seeds. Those don't have to be ground, and are easier to store. They've got a nice crunch and other really fun properties.

I tried some today for the first time (Bob's Red Mill brand)... ground it and put it in my smoothie. I have to say it added a nice flavor and not too much texture. I only used one tbl spoon today... baby steps:) I'll try two the next time.

Curious.... What tool are you using for grinding? Coffee grinder? Food processor? Blender? How simple is it to grind the seeds? Curious here. ;-) Thank you!

Hi Carol,
I use a coffee grinder.
It looks like the other people grind as they go which probably is the most fresh way to do it but for me, just like my coffee beans, I grind half a bag at a time and store it in a tight container or Zip lock bag. It did not take long AT ALL to grind as much as I did, and it grinds very nicely and easily.

Jenniferlove said:
Hi Carol,
I use a coffee grinder.
It looks like the other people grind as they go which probably is the most fresh way to do it but for me, just like my coffee beans, I grind half a bag at a time and store it in a tight container or Zip lock bag. It did not take long AT ALL to grind as much as I did, and it grinds very nicely and easily.

Thank you, Jenniferlove! I think coffee grinders do a great job on coffee beans, so I was thinking the flax seeds would grind nicely in them as well. I'm off now to do some grocery shopping, so flax seeds and a new coffee grinder are on my list! :). Thanks again.

I buy ground flaxseed, bought the golden last time. The ground is more beneficial, at least that is what I've read. I also am to take 2T a day for colon issues, need lots of fiber. I store mine in the freezer and take out a cup at a time and store it in a baggie in the refrigerator. I love mine in yogurt and on top of my salad.

I used to grind them with my coffee grinder, now I buy them ground and store them in the fridge. I put my flax in oatmeal, pancakes, cereal for the kids, and add it to my yogurt or cottage cheese. For those of you that drink flax seed oil, how is the taste?
I haven't tried chia seeds yet, looking forward to that.

When I use flax (I grind it fresh, or use sprouted ground flax that I keep in the freezer), I put it in oatmeal, or in a chocolate smoothie (works better, flavorwise, than in a fruit smoothie).

However, I usually use chia seeds instead. I just throw a spoonful into a smoothie (drink it up immediately, or it will thicken), or toss some into oatmeal or other grains made with a bit of extra water, or eat a cereal made from chia/sprouted buckwheat/hemp seeds.

I put it in meatloaf and any ground meat. I partly sub the bread crumbs with the flaxseed and sometimes wheat germ. I would think you could sprinkle it on any casserole, maybe baked veggies? What about spreading it on bread over peanut butter?? it'll stick right in there!

(I also put it in yogurt, smoothies and my steel cut oats) I like the taste.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.