***Homeschoolers Thursday***

Good Morning Ladies,

I may do Cathe's Sept. rotation today if I can find a sub for CTX. Any suggestions?

Welcome Jessica!!! Glad you found us!

Wendy

Kathy, I saw you're doing Cathe's Sept. rotation too. I plan on subbing some of the runs with spinning.

Annette, Youngest got a talk with the principle, eh. How was he for you yesterday? Hope today goes better.

Aimee, Nice weight mixture yesterday. I don't own the Pyramids. I'm trying to hold out and wait for them to be released as an MP4. I wonder how long that will take. Fitness Freak seems to know training!!!

Karen, I have that same problem too with bulky legs. Doing step even does it. My legs want to hold onto a lot of fluids. And when the muscle constricts for a long period of time, I can gain up to 5 pounds in fluid retention. Maintenance massages only help so much, and I'm not willing to eat very clean. UGH Any other workouts that you like for legs?

Hi Brandi, Three girls... What a blessing. I'm homeschooling my soon to be 11 year old 6th grade and my just turned 10 year old twins 3rd/4th grade depending on the subject. Even though my twins are less than a year younger, they were born 4 months early and have learning delays/difficulties.

Lori, You must be a good role model. That is so cool that your children do CC! What exercise equipment do you all use for it?

Jessica, Do you plan on homeschooling your son after he finishes pre-k?

Have a blessed day everyone!!!

Wendy

Good Morning Girls. Today was an easy 3 mile run for me. Tomorrow is my long run so I'm flushing out the legs today. Hopefully the humidity will break here in MD which is where I'm from. They say it is suppose to but who knows.

Just thought I would touch on my kids today as well since Brandi mentioned her girls which are almost a carbon copy of mine. I have three girls 11yo in 7th grade she has an early birthday Dec 26. I have a 9yo ( 4th grade) and a 6yo who is in first. I have homeschooled the girls their entire life. We use tons of different things. I pick things that suit each girls learning style. I use Math u see with one of my children and Horizons with the othes. I have used abeka, real science, alpha omega, story of the world and evan moore. Plus tons of other supplemental things. Right now we are using mostly evan moore and horizons. Oh!!! and Handwriting without tears.

Wendy- How about Butts and Gutts for lower body. I also like gymstyle legs and any type of workout using the body bar. I got those from collage. Maybe you can supplement CTX with the 4 day split.

Hi to all others I'm off to begin the day.

HI everyone..

Wendy: I would do any step workout for that CTX step sub. May LIC or low impact step? Yes, I am going to start the rotation today..I usually sub runs with DVDs. But, maybe I could start doing a little. I would love to start running again.

Karen: Those are great curriculums! I use Abeka and I have used Handwriting without tears. I just bought some rock n learn DVDs as my son seems to respond to them. I got one on learning to write better, oceans, solar system, states & capitals, spanish and some others now I can't think of. My kids like music. So, I hope it helps..Good run!! Where are you in MD? I am in Manassas VA..It has been a little warmer here lately..

Ok, gotta get them finished with school. I hear my son singing the president's rap right now. Makes me chuckle..

I just had a workout from you know where, I was doing triceps off of Slow and Heavy while laying down and all of a sudden the whole room started
spinning slowly, I sat up and held on for dear life. I have never had this happen before. Once it subsided I tried to lay back down and resume my workout but it returned again. I had to wait a while before I could finish. I think I had classic Vertigo.

I ended up doing S&H warm up then 2 exercises (with a long break inbetween) for triceps and a short taebo off of Exericse TV.

And yes, my son did a little better yesterday for school we shall see if it still holds true for today.

Good Afternoon all,
We got an early start on school, so no exercise yet..I am getting ready to do Low Max..I am following the Leg Blast rotation from Fitnessfreak...Hope everyone has a great day.....

Kathy- We live in Cecil County Md which borders on PA line. Still not to to far from you. I would love to hear the Presidential rap.

Thanks for such a warm welcome!! Wendy, I am going to homeschool all the way through, Lord willing. I am obtaining a masters in education, so i feel safe homeschooling. (not that yu need a degree to homeschool, I was just worried the govt. would make homeschool parents jump through hoops with fire to homeschool)

I am currently trying to get my 'classroom' set up and put together. Do you all have pics of your designated space?

I am going to use Abeka for phonics, handwriting without tears, and sonlight. Also, I have ordered handsonhomeschooling.com for my son. I'm just getting my feet wet right now. Any opinions??

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to this new little group. I homeschool my 3 sons and I now have an 11 th grader this year. Plus a 9th grader and a 6th grader. Hope to see more of you.

What a long day. I totally forgot we had art lessons this morning!:eek:

I think I'm going to sub CTX step and intervals with 4DS HIS. I'll have to see if there are any intervals in it since I haven't done it since I hurt my shoulders. If there isn't, I can always sub another Cathe step with intervals that I own.

Jessica, I don't have any pictures of our classroom. I took half of our long, rectangular living room for library and computer space. The girls used to have desks, but the twins prefer to sit together at the coffee table and my daughter likes the kitchen table. I could convert our attic into a classroom. I hate feeling removed from life though. I used to do the whole classroom feel complete with posters, bulletin board, dry erase board, magnetic calendar, even a flag to pledge to everyday!!!!:eek: I've gotten much more laid back in that aspect. Not that's it wrong to pledge allegiance to the flag everyday before starting schoolwork. I think it's fun starting out homeschooling. I'm sure you will pick the best materials to use for your child!!!

Karen, you're not too far from me. I'm in PA between Reading and King of Prussia. Thank you for the workout recommendations. B&G and GSL are my favorites. Thanks for the 4DS recommendation. I'm the same with curriculum. My girls use so many different publishers and sources too.

Wendy

Hi Girls! :)

Annette, I hope that vertigo goes away soon.

Wendy, the girls use the treadmill (the 13 year old more than the 9 year old, who still exercises by jumping on couches :D ). My older daughter likes Cathe too ~ she did some Drill Max today, in fact.

Jessica, welcome! Our classroom space is mainly the kitchen, though we do migrate to the living room during the day. Regarding curricula, that's one of those situations where you just have to read as many reviews as possible and try a few out. Some will fit your family, some won't, but don't be surprised if it takes you a bit of time to figure out what works for you. That's normal.

I started out with an eclectic approach, moved to Sonlight, and then eventually settled with Calvert. I hope to stay with Calvert for both girls, but who knows. My younger daughter may need something different as she matures.

Did some Fitness Fix and then tested the knees with 15 minutes of Cardio Coach. Did okay...felt a twinge, but nothing too bad. Oh, to have my 20 year old joints again.

Can I intrude on your thread ladies??? I am hoping you all can give me some advice on homeschooling, since I trust the judgement of my fellow Catheites more than many so-called "experts."

I have a 10 year old daughter who struggles more than you can imagine in school. We have gone through the psychological assessments, neuro-psychological assessments, psychiatric assessments (even tried the ADHD meds for a brief time even though she is not clearly ADHD, and the meds were a disaster), pediatric assessments, intensive tutoring year round, held her back for a year, etc etc etc -- and STILL the struggles overwhelm her. But ALL of her testing, every bit of it comes back showing no learning disability, no identifiable source of the difficulty. And yet, the more she struggles, the more loses her self esteem and drive, and that is my biggest fear. And it is SUCH a drain on the whole family.

So for the first time I am considering home schooling for her. I am a SAHM and a lawyer, and I am just wondering how you made the decision to home school? I know that's a lot to throw your way on a work out check-in, :eek: but if you have any thoughts I would really appreciate them. Thanks so much.

What the heck...I'll PM you too. :D Although my decision to homeschool is pretty easily summed up: I thought it would be fun.

I know...not too profound, is it? It's the truth though. And my instincts were right ~ it is fun.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.