Hardcore Fitness Maniacs September 1, 2018

This morning I did Cathe Live Total Body Blast with step and ball from yesterday. I changed my mind on Supersets #2. This was 53 minutes (59 me for jotting things down), met 5.3, 316 calories, heart rate average 107, max 149, 2,113 steps. I then did Cathe Live Cardio Quick Fix first 22 minutes plus Stretch, 25 minutes time, met 5.9, 163 calories, 1,936 steps, heart rate 134, max 167. Total time 84 minutes, 40 calories. I will come back and put the weights etc. in. I need to shower before I the next roofer comes out to give a price quote for a leak around the sun room. This one is a building company recommended by the roofer yesterday that does sun rooms. Maybe I will get somewhere.

Today I did a slow walk for 2 miles on the treadmill and did ok but now my toe is sore. I expected that to happen but I walked a lot yesterday and I was ok. workout was 43 minutes and I burned a whopping 311 calories. Oh well...

Diane Sue, I hope this roofer works out, winter is right around the corner and roof leaks are the worst! Great workout today, 84 minutes is a long one!

Roselyn, 29 days to go to the wedding! How exciting!

Debbie, did you get to workout today? Maybe you had to go in early to work today.

Have a nice day.

Here is the Total Body Blast with Step and Ball breakdown
Step with two risers each side, they have 5,8,10,15# dbs and a stability ball
begins with alternating lower and cardio
Cardio plunge lunge
reverse lunge off step 12# dbs
straddle jump 8,8,4 ,4 reps
uneven squats pyramid up 10#, 12#, 15# I think each is 16 reps as I lose count at times
3 sets wide box jumps
standing squats 15# dbs (Cathe says you can go heavier if you have heavier weights) 24 reps
1 arm burpee
squat toss 10# db 32 reps
3 sets spider climbers 4 tempo then 16 reps 3rd set does 24 reps
power turn squats 7's then 4's
sumo squat 15# db pivoting then facing front side to side repeated several times
side to side across the step with a knee up
cross back lunges 15# 32 reps alternating
at 25 minutes get mat and ball
chest and triceps
seesaw push ups with ball 16 reps
overhead seated triceps extensions 12# dbs 16 reps then 8 reps with 10# dbs
close grip press on ball 12# dbs 24 reps
dumbbell flys 12# dbs
push ups on the floor
Back and biceps
sweeper curls 15# dbs
1 arm row 20# (they use two dumbbells to get 20#) 16 reps
incline curls 12# dbs 16 reps
preacher curls 12# dbs 12 reps
pullovers 12# dbs (I used 15# dbs) 12 reps
Shoulders
2 rnds using 5's and 8's
incline front raise 8# dbs rnd 1 5#dbs rnd 2
seated rear fly 8# dbs 12 reps second round 16 reps
lateral raises 5# dbs 12 reps
finish off with two sets of overhead standing press 10# dbs 12 reps and 8 reps
at 44 minutes core with stability ball
ball exchange, sit up twist, banana hold, alternating leg lift, plank roll ins (I used the regular stability ball today as no way was I going to be a warrior and use the weighted one again today ;)

Jolie, LOL on the whopping calorie burn. I am usually happy with that burn :) Maybe it was the angle you were walking on the treadmill ?? Yes, winter is around the corner. This is going to cost some $$ and after all of the car repairs etc. it is not a good thing.

Sorry I am posting so late, I got to work and just got way too busy. Today I did STS Meso 2, Week 4, Back & Biceps, and I had a great workout, loved this one! Drop sets again and I really felt it with each exercise.

1 minute rest between each set
BACK
Warmup with Lat pulldowns, T-Pull and Y's
Wide Grip Chin Ups: 12 reps
Wide Grip Chinups: 12 reps
Close Grip Pull Ups: 12 reps
Pullovers: 30#/27#/25# - 10/10/10 reps
One Arm Horizontal Row: 30#/27#/25# - 10/10/10
Dumbbell Deadlifts: 25's - 12/10/9 reps

BICEPS
Barbell Curls: 37#/35#/30# - 10/10/12 reps
Incline Hammer Curls w/Twist: 17's/15's/12's - 10/10/11 reps
Hammer Curls: 17's/15's/12's - 10/10/10 reps
(was supposed to be concentration curls)

Last workout of Meso 2. Next week is a recovery week but I really don't feel like I need one. I will do some Kelly workouts and run or maybe do kickboxing.

Workout was 42 minutes, burned 274 calories, HR 125/157.

Then I had about 16 minutes to walk on my treadmill. Burned another 102 calories.

No time for personals but you all have a great weekend!!! Nice job on all your workouts today!

Debbie, nice work. I keep looking at my schedule next week and I think I am going to have to have some short workouts a lot of days.

Today I am having a hard time getting the MFP app to work on my tablet and cell phone. It is blank white on my tablet and just spins trying to open on my cell. I was able to get on it on my computer earlier today though.

Today I did Chest/Legs/ABS. Had an ok workout, I woke up tired again, these Hot Flashes are killing me again. I was in bed for 8 hours and I woke up 9 times! I am so sick of being so hot when I sleep. Workout was 44 minutest and I burned 312 calories.

STS Warm Up
Chest Press Warm Up- 15's x 16
Chest Press- 25's x 12, x 10, x 8, x 13 TF

Chest Flies- 17's x 12, x 10, x 8, x 16 TF Could go heavier but wont because of my shoulder issue.

Incline Chest Press- 22's x 12, x 10, x 8, x 16 TF Could go heavier next time

Leg Ext.- 50# x 16 Warm up
Leg Ext.- 60# x 16, x 14, x 12, x 13 TF

BW Squats- x 20, x 20, x 20, x 20

Cathe Medicine Ball ABS

Nice workouts yesterday everyone!

Have a nice day!

This morning I did Cathe Live Crush It Live, 34 minutes, heart rate average 125, max 154, 2,549 steps, 210 calories, met 5.6.
I had the contractor come out to do up an agreement for fixing our sunroom leak this morning. I wanted my husband to hear what needed to be done. So the workout was quick. I think I needed a lower intensity break anyway. Yesterday's workout made my knee hurt from all of the jumping on and off the step. I should have done some modifying.

Jolie, I am sorry about the sleep issues. I wake up multiple times at night, but not due to hot flashes. I remember those days though. My sleep stages have been off lately on my Fit Bit. It has me waking well after I was already up and dressed, fed the dog, made coffee etc.. It has done that several times lately. Maybe it thinks I am still half asleep? I don't get it. Maybe my Blaze is wearing out. I have had it over 2 years now. Not ready to purchase another though.

Hello everyone. I know I don't post on the weekends but I'm trying to figure out something and just wanted to discuss on here.

So I'm trying to lower my sugar intake because every time I look at my full day stats I'm always over on sugar. Always. Thursday I was over by 43 g., Wednesday I was over by 28 g. That's a lot I think. However, I hardly ever eat processed sugars during the week (weekends are a bit different).

Question is, is that bad? If all the sugars I intake are coming from fruits and other natural things, is it bad? So for instance, I have been making this Anti-inflammatory Recovery drink and I drink it after my workouts. That alone has 45.5g of sugar in it and is 274 calories!! But it has PURE coconut water in it, which is where the sugar comes from. The NUUN drinks I used to drink has 4 calories and 1g of sugar. Big difference there. I almost want to go back to the NUUN drinks because of this. The Anti-inflammatory drink is so good, though, it has ginger root and turmeric root in it plus unsweetened cocoa powder and almond butter - it is REALLY good.

If any of you have done Whole 30, do you cut ALL sugars out? Even fruit? I honestly don't see how anyone can eat anything without sugar being in it. It seems to be in EVERYTHING.

Am I obsessing over something that doesn't matter or is this a problem?

Debbie, Whole 30 suggests small amount of fruit once in awhile. They have a downloadable template on their website under resources. Also they say not to have fruit with a pre-workout or post-workout meal. I went and looked at my sugars as I have been trying to keep them down because sugar does cause inflammation. I think that they say the liver has no clue what the source of sugar is. It is all sugar. Mine tends to run from the 30 to 40 grams. I need to work on it harder. I was using honey quite a bit. I make a drink with a whole lot of honey, fresh grated ginger, some tumeric, lime juice, cayenne pepper, and some warm water and drinking it a little at a time to help immunity etc.. I love it. But, recently I let up on the honey. I need to do more I guess. Although I just got a text from my daughter and they have harvested a whole bunch of honey from their bees and are going to give me some. I have been being more careful most days because of the RA and allergies etc..
Here is something I got from Loren Cordain of the Paleo DIet (He is one of the starters of this and is not a promoter of baked goods etc. even if they are supposed to be Paleo approved. More restrictive. He does not add salt to hardly any of his recipes, but they are really good. He has lots of articles on the dangers of sugars, but is not against some fruit. His smoothies have veggies blended with the fruits for the most part. I haven't made any of them.

Most commercially available fruit smoothie servings typically contain at least 80 grams of whole, crushed fruit, plus one portion (150 ml) of juice, or often contain in excess of 80 grams of whole crushed fruit with the balance as juice.1 A 250 ml fruit smoothie serving contains 30 grams of total sugars, which is not significantly different than eating a comparable serving of the fruits themselves.1 Further, fruit smoothies make potentially important contributions to daily intakes of fiber, vitamin C and total antioxidant capacity (ORAC).1 Unlike pure juices, smoothies often contain a variety of fruit and vegetable mixtures with numerous phytochemicals and antioxidants in high concentrations that contribute to ORAC.12 A recent study demonstrated that the addition of a daily fruit smoothie containing 22.5 grams of blueberries improved insulin sensitivity in obese, insulin resistant participants.3 Meaning that even overweight or obese subjects, by including ample amounts of blueberries in the concoction of their smoothies, should enjoy a few smoothies during the week. Active, non-overweight people and athletes should enjoy these delicious treats whenever they like .

In The Paleo Diet Cookbook, my co-authors and I offer a variety of recipes for homemade fruit smoothies. In many of these recipes we recommend adding powdered egg white, a rich source of the branch chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine), which are indispensable to athletes and other active people because these nutrients promote rapid recovery from exercise via their anabolic muscle building effects. Further, the addition of a concentrated protein source like egg white powder to the natural sugars found in fruit smoothies, reduces the glycemic load of the smoothie and helps to minimize spike in blood glucose and insulin levels. Enjoy these delicious fruit and vegetable concoctions, they will help you obtain a healthy Paleo diet balanced by plenty of fresh fruit and veggies.

I have been buying So Delicious plain unsweetened yogurt in vanilla that has <1 gram sugar in it and mixing in some unsweetened coconut, protein powder, and sometimes Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips or walnuts. I need to forgo the chocolate chips :) I don't think that you will find one dessert recipe in the Whole 30 cookbooks. I don't recall any smoothies. Also on some of the Diane Sanfilppo's sugar detox paleo cookbooks she uses granny smith apple in a smoothie and some muffins. I am guessing maybe less sugar in granny smith.

Last edited:
I also meant to mention that some coconut water has more sugar than others. Definitely get pure plain coconut water. Organic is best and not fruit flavor or that adds sugars. I kept putting it in an iced coffee I was making and did not like the sweet taste and quit using it. I just use coconut milk, ice and the coffee. The coconut milk as in So delicious unsweetened with a splash of canned coconut milk. It is awesome with Chamelion Cold Brew concentrated coffee in the mocha flavor. I checked and tonight I am at 23 grams of sugar. I may not be done though as it is 8 and I generally have some bone broth plain protein powder with some nut butter along with my night time med and herbal and vitamin supplements.

THANK YOU Diane Sue!! This is exactly what I was looking for, I am going to print that post out. I didn't know the liver processes the different types of sugar the same way. That is what I was wondering about. I need to really tighten up on my sugar intake, I think it is doing bad things to me. I have constant headaches and times when my knees hurt really bad. So I am going to cut back on the sugary things I've been making to eat (like the anti-inflammatory drink) and see what else I can have instead. The coconut water I have is organic and no added sugars so it still has very high sugar. I have three left which bums me out, but I may drink that drink after a long run.

Does honey have sugar in it? I've been making a bunch of stuff with honey but I thought it had sugars in it. I need to look that up.

I appreciate you typing all that up, Diane, it really helps. I do need to revamp my eating. I need more protein and less sugar.

Thanks so much!!!

Debbie, honey is fructose since it comes from plants. Yes, it is sugar. They say honey has anti inflammatory properties. But, it is eliminated in Whole 30. Some Paleo protocols use honey. I am not totally against honey myself, but most anti-inflammatory protocols do not allow even honey. Chris Kressor of the Paleo Cure uses some honey. That is where I got the idea for the lime, cayenne, honey immune booster drink. I have an interview he did on his site that covered thoughts on Rheumatoid arthritis and what protocol he would use for himself or patients, with the use of the usual medications only as a last resort. So, am using a few herbals and things he recommended. He says Meriva Curcumin is the best absorbed. I bought the Thorne Curcumin 500 SF brand through Amazon and it has helped a lot. I have been able to stay away from the Advil. This and ice is very helpful. Anyway, I know for myself I should limit it. I have been trying not to use it daily. I have to work on this because of all of the arthritis problems. It does take work to cut sugar out of the diet. I find though, that most stuff tastes too sweet to me. So, I guess I have attained a bit of the need for the sweet taste in stuff.

Today I did Coffey Fit Raw Intervals #4, 42 minutes, 265 calories, heart rate average 125, max 154, 2,598 steps. I decided to do this before church and use tomorrow as my rest day since we are planning on going to the fair tomorrow and have early errands to run.
requires 6 inch step and 12.5 or 15# dbs( I used 15's) Kelly says she usually uses 15#
One cardio 30 sec and one strength move 30 sec repeated twice and move to the next then all are repeated ending with some core and upper body the second time

Split and squat jack cardio/15# dbs power curls
Repeat

Pendulums cardio/ 15# dbs deadlift upright row dbs
Repeat

Achy feet cardio/lunge press 1 arm 15# db
Repeat

Plunge lunge, turn side to side lunge cardio/side lunge curls 15# dbs
Repeat

Jump on step squat touch down/plank rows 15# dbs alternating
Repeat

Heel crossovers/ jacks and skates no weights
Repeat

Repeat all cardio and weight segments again excluding heel cross overs/ jacks and skates , this is shorter, cardios are done two of each followed by a strength segment.

End with lying on step skull crushers to sit ups
Flys with leg raise
Repeat

Stretch at 39 minutes

Today I did Kelly's Home Gym Intervals #1 and had a great workout. So fun and it goes by so fast. I only ran at a 5.5 highest mph but that was perfect for today. I used a 12# dumbbell which is higher than the last time I did this when I used 10#. 2# makes a huge difference, I was sweating big time. So much for my recovery week. LOL!!!

Hot Potato Squat
TM Interval
Row - Hop - Row
TM Interval
One Arm Row, Right
TM Interval
One Arm Row, Left
TM Interval
Step-Throw -
love this move!
TM Interval
Pendulum Curl
TM Interval
Press & Push, Right
TM Interval
Press & Push, Left
Cool down

This workout was 32 min., went about 1.46 miles on the treadmill, burned 270 calories and went 3515 steps. HR was 147/189.

Then I did the Waistline workout on this same DVD and had a good workout with that as well. This was 10 minutes, burned 81 calories and HR was 145/208. Holy crap. It was the plank work, hard stuff!!

My DH and I seen "Peppermint" yesterday with Jennifer Garner. Great movie and I really like her in action films, although she was awesome in 13 Going on 30.

Diane Sue - They use honey and pure maple syrup in a lot of the recipes in that book I have for runners. I get that they are healthy options but still contain tons of sugar. I have to limit those. I thought I did really well yesterday and now that I'm looking at my totals, I am still over by 7 grams, so I had 61 grams of sugar and I have no idea how that happened. Now that really bums me out because I thought I did much better than that. However, that all being said, I need to live realistically, not so strict where I can't have anything good, but I need to at least get to only 54 g a day. Again, thank you for the tips and information. Nice job on your workout, I wanted to do the Home Gym RAW workout but our internet has been out since last night. I hope they get it fixed before I get home. It's like not having electricity when you don't have internet. Sad but true. LOL!!

Hi to Jolie, DOZ and Roselyn, hope you all had a great weekend!

This week I am doing Total Body Workouts at high reps. Each circuit round will be 3 times around and each set will be 16 reps. todays workout was 46 minutes and I burned 302 calories. I am going out of town this weekend for a staycation at Laguna Beach Friday thru Sunday so I want to get all my workouts in before Friday. My husband won the trip at work again this year, it is so nice, a top notch spa and golf resort on the ocean. So I have to kick it into high gear and get my workouts done for the week. My toe is killing me from walking around, the pain keeps me up all night long...

Chest Press Warm Up- 15's X 16 (3 rounds of this circuit)
Chest Press- 20's x 16

Wide Grip Pull Downs- 50# x 16

Seated Overhead Press- 17's x 16

Standing Bicep Curls- 17's x 16

Lying Triceps Ext.- 12's x 16

Deadlifts BB- 40# x 16

Leg Ext- 50# x 16

Debbie, Sugar is my downfall and it makes my joints hurt as well as gives me headaches. I do like to each it even though it gives me problems because I am weak!!! I will start cutting it out with you and lets see how we feel! Great job on the workout today, it looks like a lot of fun.

Diane Sue, great Kelly Raw Workout you did today! Thank you for all of the info on Sugar that you posted for Debbie, it is very helpful!

DOZ and Roselyn, I will check back in later to see if you post today.

Happy Monday.

Today was my rest day. We were going to go to the State Fair, but it was so busy that we went to the Oklahoma National Memorial Museum. I have not been to the museum, just to the bombing site and outdoor memorial. It is emotional walking through the room with pictures of each individual that has died and a special momento with them. It made me teary. We met our son in law for lunch since his office is downtown. We ate at a place called the Health Nut Cafe :)

Debbie, it is surprising where some sugars show up. Even when it comes to some veggies. I find it interesting how different health and athletic cookbooks seem to have their own preference for things like sugars and sweeteners. I got a Keto one recently and it uses way to much Swerve sweetener. That stuff tastes terrible to me. I am not a real fan of stevia either. But, it is better than some of the others if they don't get carried away. I stick with predominantly Paleo because Low Carb Keto does not satisfy. After awhile I am craving those munchy crunchy things that I am not getting shoveling down proteins and green veggies. Besides the higher fat content of Keto makes me nauseous. A crisp tart apple helps with that feeling. Let, alone the fact that too much sugar causes hunger pangs even when I should not be hungry. I love the home gym intervals workouts. Time just seems to go by fast when I am doing them. I hope that your internet starts working again. It is amazing how much we rely on it.

Jolie, your staycation sounds like fun. Relaxing :) You could use that. I am at 27 grams of sugar, but I still need to figure dinner. I need something to add more protein and not much fat, so, I am not quite done.

I saw that Kelly says the new workouts will be shipped this month. I gathered the company that is making them is shipping them to the addresses. I remember pictures of Kelly doing them herself in the past. The reason I gather this is the case is because someone said that they had just moved and Kelly said the shipper had the original addresses for the orders to be shipped. It will be fun getting them :)

I had such a fun workout this morning! I first did Kelly's Cardio Pump - love that kickboxing workout and then I did B&B Kettlebell Kickboxing. Both workouts are so much fun and I was really sweating towards the end. I had to skip the last tabata mix with B&B due to time, but had fun with what I could do.

Workout was 55 minutes, burned 415 calories and did 4774 steps. HR was 135/166.

Didn't Kelly just have a kickboxing workout on the B&B DVD set? I looked them all over but couldn't find it. I remember doing it and wondering why it was so short, like 25 minutes instead of 30. Maybe I'm confusing that with a different workout?

We have no internet and our stupid provider says they can't be out until the 26th!!! WTH? I'm going to call Spectrum today and see if they are in our area. Ridiculous.

So my sugar intake yesterday was a lot better. I had 47 g. and was able to eat up to 72 g. I had 25 g left to eat if I wanted last night but I didn't. I think 47 g is still too high.

Diane Sue - Sounds like you had a good rest day. I know, every time I go to one of those places, you think of all the souls that lost their lives for our country. It is sad and it chokes me up sometimes. I'm looking forward to Kelly's new workouts, although I have a feeling I should not have ordered the Step Boxing one since my knees do not like step. I'm sure I can do it without the step, though. I miss doing her RAW workouts, after STS I will probably start doing them again.

Jolie - Sugar is so bad for us and yes, it hides in everything. The only way to really control it is cooking our own things and knowing what we put in the recipe. I do that, have done that for a long time, but was still eating things with high sugars. Now that I'm aware, I hope the changes will make a difference in how I feel. Time will tell. Excellent workout yesterday!! How is that ab workout of Cathe's? What DVD is it on?

Have great workouts everyone!

Today I did cardio, first time since I broke my toe a week and a half ago. I walked on the treadmill for 22 minutes, 5.0 incline and a 3.3 pace and burned 202 calories. Then I jumped onto the Elliptical and ran for 15 minutes, 1.5 miles and burned 212 calories. Total workout was 37 minutes and I burned a total of 414 calories. The walking really hurts my toe where the elliptical does not since my foot stays flat and in one place. I guess I should do more of that instead of the walking.

Debbie, nice workouts today and great calorie burn! I have an old dvd of Cathe's that is called Ab Circuits and it is awesome. It has ab workouts in all styles, yoga, pilates, med ball, stability ball, weights and plates and more. I love the med ball workout and it is tough, she uses and 8# ball for the workout. I had to give up drinking wine because of the sugar, I would ache the next day and my joints would hurt too.

Diane Sue, I hope you had a good rest day. I will check back in to read your post for today!

Have a nice day.

This morning I did Coffey Fit Raw Tabata Weights, 39 minutes(a bit longer than actual for making weight adjustments), 198 calories, heart rate average 100, max 144, met 4.6, 902 steps. I went heavier than the first time with this workout. I also did Coffey FIt Raw Interval's #3 keeping Kelly's weights at the 3# and 10# weights. I wanted it more for the cardio :) Total time was 66 minutes and calories burned 373.
Raw tabata weights all rounds are timed, rounds 1-3 Kelly goes a bit lower in weight using a heavy, medium, and light weight, increases on rounds 4 and 5 and then round 6 is not timed, everything is done at the heavier weight for 12 reps
1 arm row 25# for rounds 1-3, 30# rnds 4-6
bench press 17.5# dbs for rounds 1-3, 4-6 20# dbs
biceps 17.5# dbs for rounds 1-3, , 4-6 is supinated curls and I used 20# dbs
lateral raise/front raise alternating sides 1-3 10# dbs , rnds 4-6 12# dbs just lateral raise
overhead triceps extensions rounds 1-3 12# dbs , rounds 4-6 15# dbs
squats 30# dbs all 6 rounds
deadlifts 25# dbs rounds 1-3, 30# dbs 4-6

Debbie, Build and Burn does not have a just kickbox workout. There is a premix on the dvd where you can omit the kettlebells. I would have to look at the premixes. There is also a couple of premixes with either kickbox and lower body combined or Kettlebell and lower combined. I would think that Kelly's stepboxing moves would not be hard to move from the step to the floor. I find a lot of her workouts are not that intense on the step and she often suggests that you can do them on the floor. Most do not do everything on the step even when the step is involved.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.