Hardcore Fitness Maniacs for January 2020 !!

I woke up early and couldn't fall back asleep so when my alarm went off I did feel like doing anything for a workout this morning. I convinced myself to do a cycle class - #47 Pedal Max. And after a few minutes I felt better and really enjoyed the workout. This one was easy to follow with out any huge hill climbs. I dread hill climbs on the bike - mostly because I live in the foothills and riding my real bike is nothing but constant hill climbs!

Reactions: WD
Hi,

Saw my doctor today about my knees. I pulled my hamstring. Whatever I did irritated my knee as well. He still wants me to do 10 min walks 3 times a day and no lower weight workouts. He wants me to do light short lower body stretching, no kneeling. My knees are still swollen.

I did a light walk, I need to get my steps in. I also did some SBF lower body stretches.

Roselyn - nicely done with your upper body workout.

Jolie - what are your plans for today?

Debbie - holy crap! You poor thing. Maybe you pulled something a long time ago, it just haven't healed. You need to see your doctor you been dealing with this for too long. I hope you feel better soon.

Diane - thank you for all the recommendations. I think I have them all. I think I will do Muscle Up tomorrow and like you said just leave deadlifts out or any lower body exercises.Time to pull them all out. Great job yesterday.

Doreen - great job!

Have a great evening.

I finally got a workout in this afternoon. It is hard to push myself and I am tired, but I got it done :)
I did Raw 5 day strength day 2 chest and triceps followed by day 5 stretch. Day 2 was 33 minutes, heart r ate average 120, max 150, 130 calories, 351 steps. Day 5 stretch was 36 minutes, heart rate average 108, max 147, 95 calories, 102 steps. Total time was 69 minutes, 225 calories, 453 steps.
Weights
Incline flys 15# dbs, 10 reps 5 sets
flat bench press 17.5 dbs 8 reps 2 sets, 15# dbs 3 8 reps 3 sets
Single arm kickbacks palm up 12# db 1 set 10 reps, 10# db 4 sets 10 reps
seated single arm overhead extension 12# db, 10 reps 2 sets 12# db 8 reps 12# 2 sets, 12# db 1 set 6 reps
variations on crunches

Belinda, that looks like a good workout series. I hope the walking and stretching helps. I know you can't just do nothing or your body doesn't usually mend leaving you with flexibility, but then again the swelling and inflammation needs to go down.

Doreen, nice work on getting the workout in anyway.

Debbie, I am so sorry about the spasms. Maybe you need to see a doctor. They will probably want to send you to pt or something though. I realize with work that would be time consuming. The PT I went to is open 7 to 7 each day. Although they make their last appointments to end around 7. I tried once to get a late appointment when I had to pick up and take my grandson to school when I first started the therapy.

So I did a lot of therapy on my right side yesterday - rolling knots, heating, TENS, cold pack and stretching. I feel a lot better today but it's no where near gone. I slept great.

This morning I walked on my treadmill for 40 minutes and then I did 20 minutes of stretching the neck and upper back area. I love those stretches, they really make a difference. These are the ones I listed a few weeks back and some of the ones Diane did during PT.

Last night DH put the TENS unit on my back, how weird that was. I ended up turning it up too fast and felt the shock all the way to my toes. LOL! I used it on 2 for 20 minutes and it did actually seem to relax the muscles. I will do it again tonight. I'm afraid to turn it up, what should you set it to? Until you feel it or stronger? It scares me to do it stronger than what I felt last night. The way it felt for me is like light fingers massaging my back. It was cool.

Jolie - Going back to the foods you posted, that certainly didn't look like enough food for 1500 calories. My range is anywhere between 1500-1700 depending on my workouts. You workout way harder than me since I've been laid up, so you should be eating way more. Just my 2 cents. You didn't post yesterday, hope you are doing well.

Diane - I probably should go see a doctor but honestly, what will they be able to do? I know the problem is tightness and knotting in my muscles. It gets better for a few days and then comes back. And you are right, I just don't have time to go to PT. I don't think I'm letting it heal all the way and lifting way too soon. So I will try to maybe stay away from weights for the rest of this week and probably next week depending on how I feel. I want this to heal properly. It's just hard not to lift weights and I feel like I'm losing all my muscle. :( I'm concerned that you have been so tired lately. Any reason for that? Are you sleeping good at night? I hope you are ok.

Belinda - So sorry to hear about your knees. Dang, if it's not one thing it's another, right? We all seem to be going through some difficult things lately with our muscles and joints. Let's just hope we all get better soon. Great job with the workouts you are doing, though, you are the bomb!! I will definitely check out that 30 day series from Cathe. I don't see myself purchasing DVD's, though. We'll see, those are peaking my interest. Thanks for posting it.

Roselyn - Did you do a leg workout? I know I read you were going to try one but not sure you were able to. Glad you are recovering so well, I hope you will be back to normal soon. Great job with keeping up with your workouts!

Doreen - Great job on your workouts as well, you always do some interesting ones.

Roxie - Where are you? Hope you and your DD are still working out together and doing well.

Have a great day everyone!

I did RAW Weights circuit #1 this morning - good workout even though I was struggling a bit to get the right weights selected. Then I did 30 minutes of RAW Strong & Lean - another good workout with kettlebell, cardio and weights. The only think I don't like in Strong & Lean is how many breaks she takes!

Good morning,

KCM Muscle Up Workout One: 28:40 min is done. I like the workout. I did all the exercises sitting down. Can't wait to try her others.

Chest & Back: 8 reps/3 sets
Bent Over Rows (palms facing forward)
SS/w
Chest press

One Arm rows (lawnmars - switch sides - 8 reps/3sets
SS/w
Chest Flies

Pullovers - 8 reps/ 2 sets
SS/w
Push Ups

Shoulder & abs - 8 reps/2 set
Alt. Arnold press - 8 reps (16 reps total)
SS/w
V sit ups - 16 reps

Standing lateral raises - 8 reps/ 2 sets
SS/w
Ab toe touches (boxer toe touches) - feet up

Rear Raises palms up - 8 reps/2 sets
SS/w
Supermans - 1 up/hold for 3 count

BBL!

Today I started with Lite Rev'd Up & Rumble mix main + calories crush, 51 minutes, 282 calories, met 6.34, heart rate 133 average, 156 max, 4,877 steps. I then did Raw 5 day strength day 3 shoulders and legs, 35 minutes, 103 calories, met 3.6, 519 steps, heart rate average 107 max 131. I finished with Lite extended stretch 2, 10 minutes, 30 calories, heart rate average 105, max 140, 18 steps. Total time spent 96 minutes, calories 415, 5,414 steps.
Weights today
Shoulders
side lateral raises thumbs down 10# dbs 5 sets 10 reps
butterfly to overhead press, 10# dbs 2 sets, dropped to 8# dbs 3 sets 10 reps
Core, plank knee drive in hip drop 5 sets 10 reps
Legs
squats 35# bb front squat positions 1 set, then I tried 25# dumbbell front squat position 1 set, last 3 sets of 10 reps I used the 35# barbell on my shoulders like Kelly did. I was trying to find my comfort zone here as my low back is sore from the prone frog legs on day one. I kept wondering why my back was achy yesterday and then figured it out. This happened last week too.
Bridges with shoulders on the step 35# barbell 5 sets of 10 reps and 10 pulses at the top

Sorry about being MIA lately, a lot going on here. I had to get my son off to college today so yesterday was all of his laundry, packing, car serviced and fun stuff like that so he could leave at 4:30am this morning. This head cold is lingering so I thought I better not workout because I don't want to get the flu that is going around so bad! Today I had an early Vet appointment with my dog and just didn't feel like working out once I got home. My head and neck are killing me so I am going Friday to get adjusted. I cant get rid of this headache since I hit my head. It really did a number on my C2 and Atlas so that always gives me a headache.

In regards to my eating, that is a lot because the portions are BIG! My size salad is probably like 4 for most people. Also, my veggie sushi is 12 pieces and most are 6 to 8 pieces. I will be adding grilled chicken with hummus today since I am hungry and need more protein. I feel so much better the last couple of days cutting out snacking, that is my problem with my weight.

Debbie, I just found my EMS today and will put that on my shoulders too! Love it! The good thing about the pain switching from one side to the next, you can pretty much feel confident that it is a muscle spasm and that you can fix. That happened with my hamstrings a few years back. My try some electrolytes maybe you need potassium and magnesium?

I feel like we are all going through so much lately, with our bodies, it is crazy! Mine was an self inflicted injury but still, what has happed to us all! Great job on all of your workouts everyone, i will be back in the gym tomorrow if my cold is better. It seems like Doreen is the only one who's body is holding up! :) PS, i hate getting old!

Kelly has some nice sounding workout ideas coming up. I believe she said March is when she is doing a Ripped and Run using the treadmill instead of the spin bike. Something new is coming out this weekend.

Debbie, I don't know why, but I kind of like it more than just a light touch with the 10's unit. It felt like I was getting a massage, but a bit more intense. I suppose if I was turning the tens unit up myself and it was a different unit than what they use, I would do it a little at a time. I would just turn it up a little more each time till you feel it pretty good. It took me 2 and a half months of PT and then still more time before and after PT of doing exercises and stretches to really get better. Although I think that the steroid injection finally got that shoulder to calm down so it would all mend. I am keeping up with stretches and PT moves. Some days I have no discomfort at all and like you I can feel good and just doing something can cause that knot right under that bone that runs across to the shoulder on my upper back. It almost stings and I find myself wanting to put pressure on it for relief.
It is difficult to do, but they wanted me to work on muscles that run from the side and under those muscles that lie over them. That is the impression they gave and I have had to look at muscle charts to get an idea of what I am supposed to be trying to strengthen.
I am okay. I have a hard time sleeping when I have things that I am worried about along with my allergies and I have dry mouth so I am drinking water all night long. It wakes me up because there is no saliva at all and it is dry clear down my throat. I think it could be sjogrens which comes with RA sometimes. My daughter mentioned this to me when I was talking to her about it. I have not talked to the arthritis doctor about this yet. I don't want more or different meds. There is several things lately that I am dealing with and then all of these appointments which I am almost thinking is not a big worry, but I will find out when I go in Friday for my carotid ultrasound and the doctor goes over all of my results with me for. I was a bit worried because I started losing my appetite and my weight went down to 108 from 122. My appetite has started coming back up since I have started the weight training again. I haven't been that low in weight for many years. Sorry, probably more information than you wanted to know.

Doreen, I think I liked the Strong and Lean Raw workout better than the dvd workout. It has been awhile so I don't remember long breaks. She does that sometimes in her Raw workouts. I use it for some stretching or walking around the room. I like the 5 day strength workouts. I wish she would do some just cardio workouts that do not involve weights. Other than the two step workouts and the hiit workout I don't think there is any other just cardio.

Belinda, it looks like that workout worked well for you. Great choice.

Jolie, I get it on the portion sizes. When I have a salad for a meal it is huge. I only use around a 1/4 of an avocado for a meal. Today I had Ezekial flax bread with a slice of swiss cheese, avocado, and tuna. Avocado takes the place of mayo or dressing for me. That was lunch along with some grapes. Breakfast was an orange and RX bar. Dinner Salmon and a half sweet potato diced and cooked in a teaspoon of avocado oil and snack was Forager cashew yogurt with 1/2 scoop whey isolate and 10 chocolate chips. Mostly heart healthy food :) I hope your headache goes away. There is nothing worse than going through the motions of the day with an ongoing headache like that.

Roselyn, that is great that you were able to do a lower body workout. You are on your way to healing :)

This morning I walked on my treadmill again, getting a lot of reading done. I'm reading books by the author Diane Chamberlain and every books she writes is excellent. My mom and I are reading them together on our Nooks. :)

Workout was 45 minutes, burned 308 calories, went 2.2 miles, did 5361 steps and HR was 121/178. Not sure what is up with the 178 reading, I was no where near that.

I also did my stretches. The knot feels worse today for some reason. Yesterday it wasn't too bad. I used the TENS again last night but not sure it's really doing anything. I heated and iced it as well.

Jolie - I take every supplement I can think of - BCAA, magnesium, turmeric, I eat a banana every day and I drink NUUN after each workout. I'm not sure why they don't help with this problem. Oh well, hopefully I'll be good to go in a week or so.

Have great workouts everyone!

This morning I chose Jessica Smith workouts for everything. Hers are gentle on the joints and my low back is sore along with my neck. I did Walk Strong and have Fun: Steady Ready Go 33 minutes, heart rate average 138, max 169, 3,256 steps. I then did Ready Steady Go: Step and Stride, 30 minutes, heart rate average 135, 166 max, 173 calories, 3,387 steps. I finished off with Gentle Yoga back and chest, 22 minutes, heart rate average 107, max 139, 54 calories, 5 steps. Total time 85 minutes, calories burned 417, 6,648 steps. I am picking my grandson up from school this afternoon. I plan on leaving plenty early to at least (hopefully) miss the sleet on the way there. Timing is right when the weather shows it starting. Maybe if I am lucky I will be back and not see anything.

Debbie, nice that you get a lot of reading in. I have found that my new tablet is small enough to fit into one of the pockets on the Tread Climber. I used to read on the treadmill all of the time. That is nice that you are reading books sharing with your mother. I have done that with my daughter in law. Lately I am reading books with my 12 year old granddaughter :) I enjoy them and buy her books all of the time. She has a blog and writes. She has been working on a book about wolf packs.

Belinda, you are doing well keeping up with some workouts. Hopefully it won't take too long for the knees to get better.

this morning I started KCM Cardio Circuit (an old DVD on RAW) but wasn't feeling it so after the warm up I switched and did Step Sync.

Diane - it's not just my knees. I also pulled a muscle in my hamstring. My doc upped my meds for the swelling.

Doreen, I have had a lot of that not feeling a workout and changing workouts. Sometimes I get through a warm up and decide to do something else, so the next workout I just skip the warm up sometimes.

Belinda, I forgot that you recently went to the doctor and he told you that. Do you have an idea how you pulled the hamstring muscle?

I think I pulled my hamstring doing a CL step workout. I felt a sharp pain in my hamstring, ignored it and kept going. I thought it would go away on it's own, It got worth over time. My husband kept telling me to take a break, I wouldn't listen. I am very stubborn, lol!

Today I am feeling much better! I did not want to push it so I walked on my TM for 40 minutes, 2.25 miles and I burned 347 calories. Tomorrow I go to the chiro and hopefully my head and neck will feel better. Starting Saturday I will be back at working out and I am looking forward to it. I am just happy that I felt good during the holidays since last year I was sick. I am starting to see results from my diet and I am so happy! Writing everything down is the trick, it is amazing how much you can snack thought the day and not realize it.

Debbie, I wonder what the issue is if you aren't deficient in any supplement? I remember you went through something similar years ago when you completely stopped lifting and just did yoga for awhile.

Belinda, I hope your knees are feeling better and your hamstring. I have pulled my hamstring when kickboxing, those kicks can really pull that area and it can hurt for a long time. Stretching really good before cardio is the trick to not pulling them and stretching afterwards as well.

Diane Sue, Your meals sound so delicious! My salads are huge, I put in a whole apple, goat cheese, (just a little) dried cranberries, pecans and maybe a hard boiled egg. Yum:)

Doreen, I haven't been feeling a lot of workouts lately LOL :( ! Good job for keep going and finishing!

Have a nice day.

Today I did BB Bulk arms

Attempting cardio tomorrow one interesting I found out is with the hip surgery is that I seemed to have built more muscle and lost some pounds (not alot) with no cardio. I am still going to do cardio for my heart .

Anyone getting the new dvds

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.