Getting Our Licks In!

5-30-14

Last night was a rest day for me. Too much work what a crazy day & didn't get out on time. Tonight I'll pick up w/AOLIC from Xtrain.

Michelle: Good going on S&H. I ditched those b/c they were on VHS & I did them so many times just can't look at them anymore. I like both 21DF yoga & pilates. I should do yoga more often but just so little time to squeeze in everything. Can't wait to retire like Janie.

Janie Sis: I can never view pictures here at work. I'm blocked from everything. Would I still be able to view Taco tonight from my home computer? I'll see. Too bad its drizzling & cold where you are. We had that weather yesterday too. today its warmer but supposed to shower this afternoon. I would think that Fordite paint would be toxic due to the year of the paint.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Kathy

I had a response typed yesterday and somehow lost it. It's my busy time at work right now and I'm stressed. Things are busy at home also (preparing for a garage sale and our basement being finished) and I'm not getting my licks in like I want to and should. I do have Pilates this afternoon and hope to get a lot of things checked off my to-do list this weekend - including Turbobarre and Tabatacise. My garden is at least planted :) One step at a time!

I'm so pumped for the new DVD's, I had to forward the info to Dave since my birthday is coming up, if he doesn't preorder them for me I will :)

Janie - What a sweet little dog and those beach walks will be great for him.

Kathy - My nights seem to go late than they should and I run out of my "me" time, a couple more hours added to my day would be helpful!

Michelle - That CardioFit sounds like a rough workout, made me sweat just reading 60/20!

Renee - That sounds like a great price for the gym. Is there certain classes or equipment you want to use?

Kathy - I'm jealous of your Memorial Day weekend, wine tastings & shopping sound better than my yard work and cleaning :)

Cindy

Yesterday was a rest day, today was Supercuts. Couldn't decide whether to do cardio or weights so I split the difference and did Supercuts. It definitely got me huffing and puffing. Sister and I are meeting in Charlottesville tomorrow for a dog show--looking forward to it.

Cindy: nice to have you drop back in. I hope you are able to find a little time for yourself to get your licks in. One step at a time is right. And what doesn't get done will be there for another day.

Kathy: you got me motivated to do some XTRAIN workouts. THe 21 day fit workouts are good when I only have about 30 minutes to do my workout in the morning and mix nicely with Cathe and Jillian Michaels.

Janie: it was cooler and rainy here yesterday. In fact, we got 3 inches of rain this week--drying out today. Looking forward to seeing what kind of artwork you are doing right now.

Hello to sister who is officially on summertime break and hello to Laura.
Michelle

Walked the beach first with my Joey for about 1/2 hr. then with Rolly and Taco for 45 min. Tonight is Muscle Max. Love this workout.

Kathy Sis, Glad to see you taking rest days. Yes, you'd be able to see Taco on your computer. It's such a beautiful day today on the beach.

Cindy, Aw, I know how busy it can be when working. Hugs to ya. Try not be stressed, take couple of breaths/breaks. Wow, we should be having a garage sale too. Did you make any money? How was the Pilates. Yea! Bet you are thrilled you finished planting the garden. Yep, one step at a time. I'm soooooooo excited about the new workouts too. YooHOO!

Michelle, Good for resting a day. And for doing today's Supercuts. Great workout. Enjoy the dog show with your sis tomorrow. I'm adding more color in my doodle drawings this time. Not sure about yet.

Take care,

Janie

Slipped today on my workout. Been doing art work, playing the guitar and registering to sell at the gallery and tagging some jewelry. Instead of a rest day tomorrow I guess I took mine today. I'll work it hard tomorrow, thinking a full body workout again. I like those right now.

Janie

Fun day at the dogshow yesterday with my sister. Next week's dog show is about a 2 and a half hour drive for me, on way, so I'm passing on that one. Next set of shows within decent driving decent are the Virginia Kennel Club and Gloucster Kennel Club shows in Richmond the end of June. I'm mixing cross train express cardios with XTRAIN upper body and core bonus workouts this week. Did Cross train express step and intervals (cardio only) with XTRAIN chest and core 1 bonus today. Good stuff.

Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful Sunday.
Michelle

Walked the beach for 2 hours with Rolly and Taco. Tonight was Muscle Max. Did I say I liked that one? LOL Will have one more guitar lesson sometime this week. I'm very excited about it, but sad it will be my last lesson from him. He's a good teacher. This time he will teach me 4 songs with chords A, D and E. I know the chords well, except my mind and fingers don't work together, I'm so slow. I guess in time they will. Hoping he can also teach me how to play faster.

Michelle, So glad you and your sister had fun at the dog show. Sounds like a fun time at the end of this month going to the Kennel Club shows. Awesome there are shows close enough to you. Great job on mixing it up Cross Train Cardio and Xtrain upper and core workouts. Good choice if you ask me with all the variety of the two work outs I'm sure your body will be confused. Gota keep it guessing. Great job on Cross Train Express Step and Intervals cardio only with XTrain chest and core. It is good stuff. Whew!

Take care,

Janie

6-2-14

Weekend was just usual errands & cleaning. I had received my new dvd of KCM called Muscle Up Lift 2B Fit. Did workout #1 which consisted of chest/back/shoulders. This truly is a heavy weight training workout. Kelly does 2 exercises 1 each for chest/back & supersets them w/only doing 8 reps of each exercise doing 3 sets. She ends it w/shoulders supersetting different exercises again. I also did the Bonus Abs section. Kelly had some new moves in this one. She does the ab exercises Tabata style. Did this one on Saturday. Sunday was Cathe's HIIT Double Wave Pyramid. I killed that one. I forgot how good that workout is. Tonight will be KCM'S MU Lower Body premix. Since this one is only 19 min. I plan on doing it twice. Workout #2 consists of legs/bis/tris but I want to give my legs more of a workout than just 19 min.

Michelle: Glad you & your sister enjoyed the dog shows & I see your mixing & matching different workouts just like me. :) Those are great combinations.

Janie Sis: Forgot to check out the picture of little Taco. Hopefully I'll remember tonight. I too love Muscle Max. Its one of my all time favorites. Great job on learning the guitar. Don't feel like your slow at all. It takes a lot of time & practice. You know its the same thing when we exercise. We've come a long way in our workouts & you will too w/the guitar. My DH just learned 3 new songs w/his drummer. He'll be performing again next Saturday at a street fair this time.

Cindy: You sure are one busy lady. Just do your best & forget the rest as Tony Horton says. I know all about stress too due to my job. I just take deep breathes & keep pushing forward & you will too.

Wavest to Renee & Laura!
Kathy

Busy day today--was only able to get in the cardio portion of Cross Train Express 10-10-10; will do my upper body work tomorrow. Went with DH to see his pulmonary doc today. Always a bit of dread with these doctor's appointments. DH had COPD and a host of heart issues so going with him to see one of his doctors is always a little stressful but I feel like we walked out of the office okay today. DH has to have a bronchoscopy this month to figure out why part of his right lung is collapsed which is no minor thing but since he smoked for over 50 years--these pulmonary issues are par for the course and we try to take everything in stride. So more to follow on that one in a couple of weeks.

Kathy: new workouts sound good: ab work tabata style is intriguing.

Janie: Muscle max is fun--not necessarily easy, but you get to work everything on that one.

Preordered the new Ripped with HIIT dvds yesterday. Anyone else preorder yet?

Hi to the rest of the gang!

Michelle

6-3-14

Last night was KCM's Lower Body premix done 2X. Yowza! Do I have DOMS today not only in my legs but my lower back too. Tonight I think I'll do PRS #1. Hopefully do more than 4 combos this time.

Michelle: I can only imagine how stressful it is for you & DH w/the doctor appointment. I'll pray for him that all goes well w/his test.

Janie Sis: Did you finish up your artwork? Anxious to see it. Have fun playing your guitar.

Take care,
Kathy

PS: I ordered Cathe's new dvds on Sunday at 3:52 p.m. I almost forgot too!

Pre-order complete!

I have only 2 more workouts, and then I am done with STS...again. I get the best results from this program. I may do mesocycle 2 again. Not sure. I know I was all hepped up to join Gold's Gym. But now I am re-thinking. Its a bit out of the way, and I'm not sure it is a good economical move on my part. Its not the membership I am concerned with, but the mileage and time it will take to go to the place. There is a gym, very convienent to where I work, that makes more sense and they have a 6 month special for $90 as opposed to the $120 at Golds. Perhaps I can achieve what I want to do, there instead of Golds. More thought and research on the right Body building program for me, before I make a move.

This is my first official week off for summer. Last week, was a "work" week with two inservice days. The inservice days were pretty good. The "work" days were boring.

I really enjoyed the Dog Show with Michelle. We had a good time. I can see dear sister showing her dog. I think its a pretty cool thing to be into. I am more a cat person, but I love all animals. I think Ripkin would have been great in the show ring. He was some dog!

Kathy, I am going to look into that Muscle Up Lift DVD by KCM. Sounds like its right up my alley. I like lifting heavy.

Today I did Athletic Step, and totally blasted through it. I was suppose to do Cardio Core Circuit, but I hate that workout. I'd rather do anything then CCC. YUCK.

Keep getting your licks in!

~Renee

XTRAIN bis and tris this morning. I was happy; I got through all the bicep work using 15 pound dumbbells. But then my arms felt fried on the tricep work although I think I could probably go up a pound or two on the one-arm tricep kickbacks. My company is moving this weekend so my office is half packed up and half not. Will finish packing up tomorrow and take stuff home that needs to go home for recycling and my office plants which I have to move from point A to B myself.

Sister: I like Athletic Step but sometimes there is nothing like a good go with Cardio Core Circuits. But you know me; I'm a weirdo. Cathe's June rotation is a good mix of old and new workouts--you might take a look at it if you remember.

Kathy: PRS 1 has become one of my favorite step workouts. You just have to keep doing it and you'll get all the choreography down pat. I'm glad you are enjoying your new KCM workouts. Will google that one to see what it is about.

Hi to Janie, Laura, and Cindy.
Michelle

Today Joey and I went bike riding around the cranberry bogs. So much fun! Tonight will post again, I plan on doing the Wedding Video. I may take the dogs out for a beach walk as well.

Kathy Sis, Yeah, weekends are for catching up for sure. How neat to be able to do new DVD's Great job on Muscle Up Life 2B #1; chest, back and shoulders. Heavy weight training for variety is wonderful to confuse the body. Good for you for doing the Bonus Abs section on Sat and HiIt Double Wave Pyramid on Sun. Good analogy about guitar and working our bodies. It takes time.

Michelle, I ordered the new workouts as well, can't wait!. Great job on the cardio portion of Cross Train Express 10-10-10 Love that one as you know. I didn't know your honey has heart issues. (hugs and prayers for you and him) Glad all is well today. O my, also pulmonary. Smoking seems to show it's ugly face later in life. It's so dangerous and yet I see people smoking all the time. They must know by now what is in store for them. Do Please, keep us posted on your honey.

Kathy Sis, Great job on KCM's Lower Body premix done 2X. Yeah YOWZA! Good job! Congrats on the DOM's. I'm almost done with my tangle. Should be a couple of days and will show it. LOL Using a little color in this one. After, since a lot of artist think dong a self portrait is necessary in life, that I will give it a shot. It will be a younger me though. LOL

Take care,

Janie

6-4-14

Had a doctor's appt. yesterday. I've been having pain in my right thumb & left shoulder. Turns out I have arthritis in the hand & an inflamed bicep tendon in my left arm. I go tomorrow for the x-rays just to make sure there are no hairline fractures. Very depressing. :-( Can't do any weight training for that arm but there's still my right arm that I can work!!! LOL

I think I'll do PRS #1. It was supposed to be tonight KCM's Muscle Up bis/tris & her bonus ab section but not sure I should do this. Sigh!

Renee: I happen to LOVE Gold's Gym. I'm partial to that one. However, at the other gym your thinking of joining do they have a free trial to check it out first? I did this w/Sky Gym & wound up not liking it at all. This would give you a good indication. Just a thought. I too can't stand CCC so I'm with you on that. I'm sooo jealous of you for having the summer off. I should've been a teacher. You sure do love your STS. Glad you enjoyed the dog show w/Michelle. I'm a cat lover too. Let me know what you think of KCM's Muscle Up when you get a chance to check it out.

Michelle: I too really enjoy 10-10-10. Thx for the advice on PRS #1. I think I'll tackle it tonight. Wish me luck getting past combo 4. Glad you enjoyed the dog show. When you get your new puppy are you thinking of showing him/her in shows? Is your commute going to be longer now that your office has moved?

Janie Sis: Oh how fun bike riding around the cranberry bogs! Can't wait to see your new tangle & jewelry!! Good job on the Wedding video. I need some pep talk from you Sis. Feeling depressed about getting old & tired.

Waves to Cindy & Laura!

Kathy

Of course walked the beach yesterday with the two doggies for about an hour. Also did MM.

Kathy Sis, Aw... As we age things happen to our bodies we have no control over. When something hurts like that on my body, I kinda take a break. Walking helped me. There are other ways to get through it also. Hot tub, reading, biking, helping someone, working in the yard, being with people who love you...so you can relax. Even when I could exercise the other side of my body, I didn't get the inspiration I needed to continue with the weight lifting. I don't know why. I'm thinking you too?

If that's the case, believe me, it will pass. It's easy to stay in this comfortable and needed place for awhile, however you need to keep thinking on ways to exercise and as soon as you can, get back to it. Your body needs nutrition and exercise. At some point you may have to force yourself to do it. You gotta move forward to be healthy and strong. Life is awaiting you and there are people out there who need you to be strong for them or be strong for yourself.

You don't have to be a muscle builder nor do you need to exercise with advanced workouts. We need enough exercise so we can pick up heavy bags of whatever that are sometimes heavier than normal, twist a certain way so we don't hurt ourselves...you get the jest.

I pep talked myself into exercising again by thinking of people who are in much worse shape than me and can't do the things I can. From there I think how lucky I am and continued on trying to get stronger with the body I have. Don't ever give up, life has many wonderful surprises ahead of us.

Perhaps this was a bit much of a pep talk. I'm hoping you can take some of it to heart and continue on your path of life. It's not easy getting older and being tired. Truly not for the faint of heart, but being healthy is so worth it. Hugs, prayers and love your way my dear sissy.

Janie

Last edited:
I don't even know how to type this. I've just learned that our dear friend Laura lost her daughter Sophia last weekend in an automobile accident. Today they had a celebration of life for Sophia.

Laura--my dear, dear friend--my heart goes out to you. I wish I could be there with you to just hug you and to let you know how sorry I am that you and your family have experienced this tragic loss. Know that all your friends here on "Getting Our Licks In" are here for you. Take what time you need, come back to us when you are ready. We are here for you. ((((((HUGS))))))) to you.

Michelle

Last edited:
Michelle, Thank you for the information as hard as that was. OMG!

Laura, I'm so sorry for your loss. But for you my dear friend seems this is not enough. Know my heart is with you while you are grieving and if my heart had arms I would be wrapping them around you for comfort. Michelle says it so beautifully. Come back to us when you are ready. Prayers and hugs your way. I'm so sorry.

Janie

My deepest and most heartfelt sympathy to you, Laura. Completely flabbergasted. We love you and your family. May love and memories help you through this time of grieving. We will be here for you. Hugs and prayers, and lots of love.❤

Renee

6-6-14

Michelle: I just read your post re Laura's daughter, Sophia. OMG!

Laura: My heart goes out to you. All of us on this checkin send our condolescenes & prayers to you & your family. No words can express how I'm feeling. Come back to us when your ready. All of us are here for you.

Take care,
Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.