Getting Our Licks In!

It's only Monday and I can feel Friday steamrolling down on me. Another busy week--that's okay.

Still a little nippy here in the mid-Atlantic, but Ripken likes the morning temps on our walkabout. I'm wondering how much he will wilt on me this year once the weather gets warmer. Right now, he is a happy camper, but I know that we are getting the age for him when things start warming up, he might not want to walk as long. Time will tell.

Speaking of time--had a really long workout this morning: high step challenge. Forgot that it went nearly 70 minutes which means it has been a really long time since I have done the workout. I hung with Cathe and the crew for the most part, up until the chest flys at the end. Boy, my pecs were majorly on fire. Loved the ab work at the end though.

ElleP: sorry to hear that work is busy in a bad way. That's too bad. I hope things settle down for you soon and that you are able to get back to your normal yoga routine. I was talking with my team leader last week about exercise which she typically avoids. The topic of yoga came up and she said that she hated yoga--I don't hate yoga; I just think it is hard and mentally challenging.

I'm guessing we might be on the light side this week with Janie and Shadowpup on travel; Elle being tied up with work issues, Laura busy with the twins and their schedule, and sister not feeling motivated to check in as often because of her knee. We also are still missing our Shoegal something terrible.
~michelle

Did Low Impact Step today. I am using risers regularly unless it is a new routine I am learning.

Lost two more pounds over the last two weeks so I must be doing something right.

Still dealing with mom. She is going to be in rehab for 2 weeks now. The hopital informed me that she got so weak from inactivity and not eating right. That's what caused her to fall and not be able to get back up. Also, her living conditions are filthy - to the point that she will be put into a nursing home (by force) if she doesn't get it straighten out and keep it that way. Judy her friend is going to take care of all of that for her. She has been gutting the house the last week, throwing away furniture soaked in dog urine and pulling up filthy carpet, throwing away bags and bags of garbage. Judy said she is sure that my mom was well aware of how bad the house was based on some comments mom made but she thinks mom is too proud to ask for help. I told mom she is going to pride herself into a nursing home if she doesn't straighten up. I just don't have any patience for this crap - there was no reason whatsoever for mom to let it get this bad. She has now made this into a much larger deal then it needed to be and I resent it. I have been nagging her for the last couple of years to start exericising, eating right and get someone to keep her house clean and she just flipping ignores me. Now she is crying that she doesn't want to go into a nursing home - fine then - why don't you DO something to keep yourself out of a nursing home!! She won't move near me or even in with me and I can't move near her so I am really limited in what I can do for her.

Anyway, sorry for going on an on, I am just fed up right now and seriously frustrated.

Good Morning!

I have been a little inconsistent with workouts & with checking in, (blushing)! I did get a hike in with Misty on Thursday. I had decided not to ski because we had not had any fresh snow in awhile & the conditions can be iffy this time of year, and Wednesday had been down right hot in Boulder so I thought I would take Misty to Maggie & my favorite foothills hike. I dressed in shorts & a tank, but unfortunately it was quiet cool down in Boulder that day. It was a damp cold which is unusual here, but fortunately I keep extra layers in my car. We hiked for two hours & Misty behaved nicely on her leash which is important as there are some big giant descants with rocks & gravel & it could be a disaster to be pulled off balance.

Friday I got to stay home for a change and I got a lot done around the house which desperately needed some TLC. I did get in the back & bicep workout for Meso 2 which completed the 2nd week of that cycle. It sure does go by a lot faster with the 3 months as opposed to the 61/2 month, which is convenient but I don't think I am getting the same strength gains....

Saturday I took off and super spring cleaned the girls room...

Sunday was mostly a lazy day around the house but I did do STS Cardio:Step Moves which is becoming a favorite step DVD

Monday: I was feeling low and Sophia caught the cold my mom brought back from over seas so we had a VERY lazy day home together. Eliza went to school without her sister and my mom picked her up and took her to her house, so for the first time in 10 years they slept apart from each other. They called each other on the phone and talked about how this was such a big moment in their lives, it was very precious!

Today I taught Pilates mat 1 & then made up the STS workout for Chest, Shoulders & Triceps. I found some of the triceps work weights way to heavy which I do recall from the last time. I must have gone way off in my 1rep max on triceps some how!!

Going to dinner with group of friends birthdays including Bo's so it should be fun! I am the designated driver which I find a great excuse not to drink so I don't get all those empty calories, make bad food choices,& feel bad the next day :)!

Was stressed today so I made sure to exercise as I know it helps burn off frustration energy :p. Did Basic Step and Total Body Sculpting.

Mid-week. Yippy Skippy.

MRI was this past Monday. Tomorrow I meet with my new orthopedist to find out the plan of attack to get my knee back in shape. It is a lot better then it was, but I still have a ways to go. I can go DOWN stairs, alternating legs, been doing that since Saturday, but it gets better every day. I was able to do a basic step alternating leads on a 6 inch step, but I only have done that a minute on each leg the last few days. Absolutely no knee's around the world or repeaters or nothing. I can walk nearly normal and the pain level is a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. There's still swelling but hopefully whatever the doc has planned will do the trick.

Yesterday, I did the weight portion of Pyramid Upper Body. I love feeling sore! As long as its not from an injury ;)

ttfn

~Renee~

I think I am a couple of days behind. Did Slow and Heavy Tris and Bis yesterday and I am feeling those muscles today. Did Cardio Core Circuits this morning and my legs are already feeling the afterglow. Didn't take long for CCC to kick into DOMs since I still had lingering effects from High Step Challenge earlier in the week. One more day of the March rotation and then a couple of stretch days, I think. Of course, I can't wait to see what Cathe posts for the April rotation.;)

MicheleZ: it's really very stressful to have someone who you love and is elderly so far away. It sounds like the whole situation with your mom is very frustrating for you on many levels. Hopefully, you can get your mom to agree to a new plan for improving her living conditions where someone comes in to help her at least once/twice a week, although it sounds like she may need more. It also sounds like she lives in a rural area (is that right?) and that can create challenges in arranging for someone to help her. You may just need to engage with her more often to socialize the idea of her moving eventually. Certainly moving closer to you or in with you would be better than a nursing home. I wish you strength and patience in the next few weeks. I'm glad you are sticking with your exercise to help your mental health as you try to work this out. Of course, we both know how great those pups can be at making us feel better too.

Laura: do you think that twin girls are just more "in tune" to each other? Eliza and Sophia seem very much in synch, at the age of 10/11 no less. It is just kind of amazing to me how cognizant they are of their relationship. It is very sweet and special. And don't feel like you can't check in if you don't work out. Love hearing from you either way.

Now--if we could just get a little signal from Shoegal that she is okay?

Sister: looking forward to hearing what the story is on your knee.

Hi to everyone else.
~michelle

Happy Friday!~

Beautiful day in Boulder, although a little windy...

Yesterday I did the step only premix from 4DS, the lower intensity one, which was the first step routine I got down from a DVD, it was fun to do it again! I also did my Meso Cycle 2 week 3 legs and I am definitely feeling my glutes, hammies and adductors today! The DOMS are isolated at the top of the hammie and the bottom of the glute, right where I need a little 'lift' so to speak! well one can hope right?? I have a dread factor with the legs in Meso 2, somehow the 3 sets of supersets really get me...but that's what we want right?

Today I have clients and hoping to pop into a Rec. Center to do Back & Biceps and then I will be done with week 3 and only 1 week left of Meso Cycle 2!:cool:

Been kind of quite around here! Let's not lose our momentum! I really enjoy our check in time!

Michelle: I am planning to do Cathe's Glute rotation she posted awhile ago after I finish with Meso 3 which should be the beginning of June. Did you like the March rotation? I haven't checked if she has posted April yet.

Catchick: so what's the word on the knee? I hope it is good. I know how frustrated you must be! Sounds like you are doing what you can! Hang in there it will get better!

Tonight I am going to the 1st event of a 3 year program I am starting on women's spirituality. I am really excited and a bit nervous as well. I am kind of jumping in with two feet! I have been feeling somewhat disconnected to that aspect of my life and I am looking forward to exploring it again. The first year focuses on rediscovering your self as a spiritual person so that is a perfect fit for me!

I will be at the training all day tomorrow so I doubt I will have time to workout or check in!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Finished Cathe's March rotation today--did S&H shoulders and the second workout on CoreMax. Then I got cleaned up and drove down to my parents to surprise my mom for her birthday this weekend. I think my dad was more surprised that mom--hopefully it will warm up a little.

Laura: that's alot of workouts in one day. Whew! Love that step only premix from 4DS. Not sure about the spirituality thing. Three years seems like a long commitment. Let us know how the first meeting goes.

Got to go. Taking my parents to an early dinner.
BBL
~michelle

Hi Everyone!

I'm en route home, with a few minutes in a wireless hotspot area, so thought I'd pop in to say hello. I was in Oregon, and yesterday was an absolutely beautiful spring day (sandwiched between rainy days). Still, home is HOME and I'm eager to be back.

Renee, I was really sorry to hear about the diagnosis of your knee from your facebook page. You have such a great attitude and you WILL achieve your goals ... it is a shame to have this detour and down town. Still, give what we know about you, I bet you are already planning all kinds of upper body workouts, grip strength workouts, and probably even how to properly balance for board-breaking on one leg!!!! You'll make us proud whatever you do.

Janie, the earring set is lovely :) I'm going to wear them next week to a potentially testy meeting where friendly reminders will be especially welcome. Your bread looks especially yummy .... hmmm, maybe we should make some at home, since it's still the rainy season and cold enough that baking is a pleasure ... hopefuly you're having a terrific time in Yakima.

Michelle, I had to laugh when I saw your post. If healthy living is why these bugs are after me, maybe I should treat them with TransFats and not antibiotics!!!! I'll be in and out of DC over the next few months, and maybe our schedules will overlap around lunch or something again. BTW, we sent a team out your way, but I had a conflicting meeting and wasn't at your worksite myself. Oh well.

MicheleZ, Congrats on the weight loss. Sounds like you have a family situation going on that I missed ... what I can see here sounds much like my grandmother. She had to slowly transition from living alone in the woods on several acres to an independent house in town, and then having a relative move in with her. It is a tough tough situation. ((hugs)) to you and all kinds of positive wishes.

Elle, sorry about the work stuff. Lots of that going around. Hope you're weathering it okay!

Laura, you have such a nice newsy set of notes here that I'm going to save it til after this plane, which leaves shortly.

Hello to Shoegal wherever you are!

Hi All,

Sure did miss everyone and so glad to be back home! There is no place like home for sure.

Enjoyed my beautiful family and got lots of gifts. Kindle, hair pieces, one of my sisters gave me all kinds of info on Weight Watchers Plus, and gave me a tracker, pocket guide and a calculator. I guess I'll be watching what I eat tomorrow and the coming days. Looking forward to it. Also got a $100.00 gift certificate at Amazon.com from my son. I'll be getting all kinds of books for the Kindle. A scheduled dinner at the top of the Space Needle, a day at the spa for anything I might want (message, pedicure,...) Talk about a spoiled 60 year old. I'm so very grateful.

I've read everyone's posts and now in sync.

Have a plan for exercising with Joey tomorrow using heavy weight. I've missed my Joey and our workouts together so much.

Janie

Ah, there is no place like home: let's all click our heels three times together and be sure to grab ahold of your pup.

I went to visit my parents and sister this weekend. It was mom's birthday on Saturday and I drove over (SURPRISE!) for her birthday. We had a nice dinner out at a locally owned steakhouse on Friday night, lunch at La Caretta's on Saturday and a quiet family meal Saturday night with icecream birthday cake which my dad bought. The man is just full of surprises. Sister is pretty bummed about her knee. The only cardio on her dance card for a while is riding a bike, but she can also do things like the floor work from B&G, Legs and Glutes, and Lower body blast. These types of exercise are not her favorite but I pointed out to her they would definitely help her butt from getting bigger. I enjoyed the time with family, but it was good to get home to my DH and Ripken.

I finished Cathe's March rotation on Friday, took the weekend off and started the April rotation this morning. It's a circuit rotation starting with Low Impact Circuit today--75 minutes of fun, sweat, and more fun. The circuit rotations plus watching what I'm eating usually equals a few pounds of weight loss so I am super-motivated on this one.

Shadowpup: welcome home! Let me know when you are going to be in the DC area and we will try to synch up our schedules. We should be able to hit at least one day, don't you think?

Janie: sounds like you had a great time. You received some wonderful gifts. Let me know how the transition to ebooks goes. Do any local libraries do ebooks? I wonder....

Okay--got to get back to work. Make sure you check out Cathe's big news at the following link:
http://cathe.com/filming-begins-on-cathes-low-impact-series
~michelle

Joey and I did did TBS, 5 min. ab work from Ab Hits, and a stability ball stretch from her stretch DVD. Weather is rainy, but I'm home and will hit the hot tub very soon. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. LOL

Michelle, You are so right! Home Sweet Home is so NICE! What a wonderful surprise visit for your Mom. You are a good daughter. :) The weekend with your family sounds like you had a great time. I love those times too. I feel for your sissy for having to go through rehab with her knee. Poor thing.:( Congratulations for finishing the March Rotation. Make sure you get enough repair time to start yet another rotation. Very proud of you! It sounds like pure fun. I should receive the Kindle either today or tomorrow, then I will find out all about it. I think (not sure) there might be free books you can put in the Kindle. It could be another ebook company I'm thinking of though. :rolleyes:

Have a good one everyone, can't wait to hear from you!

Janie

It's been 3 weeks of feeling "sorry" for myself. OKay, enough already. But it took 3 weeks of various doctors appointments and being in limbo to come to terms with the knee situation. It's a torn ACL which will require surgery if I ever want to do anything like step, kickboxing, and karate ever again. So, surgery it will be. I don't do well with procedures, so I admit, I'm scared. My body doesn't like narcotic type drugs. But I'm sure I'm not the first, so there is surely a plan for people like me. Rehab, okay, won't be a walk in the woods on a sunny day, but I'll do what ever I have too, to get back to doing what I like to do. There really isn't an alternative.

I have my recumbant bike now, so I can do that for cardio. And I can do upper body weight lifting and some lower body stuff that dear sister mentioned. Oh what fun and joy!

It is not enough to take steps which may some day lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

~Renee

I had a super busy weekend! I had my retreat Friday- Saturday evening. I managed a short but intense hike after the workshop on the way to a gathering of girlfriends for sushi & crafts. Sunday I squeezedin the Double Cardio from 4DS split, which is the two step routines back to back (a great premix if you have never done it) before going to town for an event at the Carousel & then a birthday party for a 2 year old.

Today I did the last week of Meso Cycle 2 Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps(which didn't seem as hard as last weeks....did anyone else experience that as well ?.) I only had 1 for Pilates so didn't workout myself but taught a private for peanuts! Than no one for Boot Camp! Where is everyone??? So I am going home to choose a Cathe Cardio to do....maybe Cardio core since I didn't get the core work in Pilates.....

Michelle: I lookedcat the April rotation and I think I might do the first week, as next week is my rest week & than me & the girls are going to Atlanta for Spring Break for 10 days and can rest than. I had planned on jumping straight into Meso 3 for a week, but I think my connective tissue, joints,& muscles need a break, so thought of doing the circuits with lighter weights & than no lifting only Cardio in Atlanta.

Janie: Happy 60th Birthday!! I missed that it was YOUR big day somehow! I am so glad your loved ones showered you with such great gifts! You will love your kindle! I always have multiple books downloaded on my iPad and can carry it @ in my purse so I have them with me all the time

Renne: well that just sucks! But at least you are now moving forward with a plan, and that at least must be better than not knowing & waiting..... I think you have a good game plan& a good attitude! Keep the food squeaky clean to make up for the lack of mobility! As they say it is 80% diet/nutrition & only 10% training......hang in there & you will be our TOWANDA girl once again....

Shadow pup: nice to hear from you! Hope you had a decent flight & are already safely home with your 4 legged mud balls!

Hi to MichelleZ & ElleP hope you two are well!

Oh & I am so excited about the low impact series as my knees have been achy & I have been worrying about the long term consequences of all the high impact activity I have been doing lately.

I also FINALLY ordered Rhythmic Step, with the sale plus the'$15 dollar Cathe appreciation coupon it only came to $25 which is a steal! I almost ordered some more but decided to hold off for the pre-sale of the low impact series. I still ave DVD's I have never done: High Step Challenge, Terminator, Cardio Fusion, some of the Cross Train Express, & another compilation DVD which I can't recall at the moment, the Jackie Warner DVDs as well....so hard to justify buying more unless they fill a particular need!

Hi all!

Tomorrow I have a short trip, just three nights, and back again. Whew!

Recovery is coming along. This is week three of antibiotics, with one more to go. It seems to be helping: no nap and I'm still upright. And ... working out. A very little. My energy level is somewhere between ten and fifteen minutes :eek::eek::eek: and for upper body, I can do somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 my weights for February :eek::eek::eek::eek: while for lower body, I can do slightly more than 1/5 my weights for February :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: And even at those levels I am getting a fair amount of DOMS. Oh well. It is still a victory to have completed all of Pyramid up premix (in two days) and to have started through Gym Style Legs (day one today), plus one day of a short hike in the woods --- I'll take it ! :eek::eek::eek:

Michelle, thanks for the tip on Cathe :) While I ran out of time to post this morning, I still read your check in and clicked on the link. Wow, an intense low impact series! That is just perfect :D:D:D Looks like there will be a May 1 pre-order opportunity, too. And yep, I'd think my next trip to DC will have time to get together. Fun! And speaking of that, bet your mom loved her surprise. Your dad sounds sweet :)

Laura, loved seeing your notes, and I agree with whoever it was who said your girls have an unusually tight connection. They sound so cute together! Quite a credit to their mom, eh? :D My mudballs send greetings - well, hopefully all that snorting at the snow was a happy greeting and not an urgent request to go to a warmer climate ...

Renee, you are a brave one and we are behind you one hundred per cent. I remember when you joined us, and how hard those procedures are - but you've gotten even stronger and more determined. This is going to work out fine. My brother had his knee repaired and he actually manages to play basketball with a team. You'll be out there too. In the meantime, how can we help you make your upper body workouts fun? And the cardio - do you think you could do Coach Sean's Cardio Coach? I love those, and they are inspirational. They are mp3s and work with any kind of exercise equipment. The only thing is that they are intense/interval style...

Janie, Happy Birthday! I missed that entirely as the point of your trip, so very sorry :( But it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I *absolutely love* my kindle and yes, there are many free or inexpensive books there, often for 99 cents. There are even games against the computer .... scrabble is fun, and monopoly. Kindles so far don't work with lending libraries but there are e-books that can be used that way, such as Nook. You can lend books on the kindle, I'm told, though haven't done it myself.

And now I am off to hug *my* pups and cats, and tell them it's fun to be home ... good idea, Michelle :)

Three days straight of "riding" my recumbant bike. First two days, 33 minutes, 7.7 and 8 miles respectively. Today I did 38 minutes and 9.5 miles. I had a good sweat going on, and it felt great!!! Two days until I go to rehab. Feeling good and positve. Just wish I was sleeping better at night.

Happy belated birthday to Janie. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family.

ShadowPup, I hope you continue to get better. I know you will be back lifting those weights at 100% ASAP. I've been doing the weight portion of PUB a lot, but will change it up with other stuff soon enough. ;)

Hope everyone else is doing well.

~Renee~

Good evening everyone!

So I didn't end up doing another workout last night after all....I got some saag to go from Ned and went home and watched a movie instead!:eek::eek::eek::eek: I jokingly tell my clients I would not show up to class 1/2 the time if I didn't have to teach it!:rolleyes:

Today I taught my Beginner Class and then did Imax2, gosh darn those Imax's are tough!!! I couldn't help but feel out of shape after that!

It was a beautiful warm spring day in Boulder so took the girls and a friend of their's to the Pearl Street Walking Mall for ice cream and window shopping. It was a nice day.

Shadowpup:It must feel good to be getting back on your feet! It was just those flu's that knocked you down so badly? I know you will be better than ever so soon!

Renee: that sounds like TOWANDA hitting the bike like no one's business! Jus don't over due it and take care! You have time.....

Both of your stories reminds me of how precious our health and vitality are and that we should take excellent care of ourselves while we can, because you never know what the future has in store...My good friend, that some of you will recall from a year or so back, that was an amazing athlete and Pilates Instructor that is now paralyzed from T-9 down from a climbing accident actually called me today and is in Denver for a few days. I doubt I will get to see her but again another reminder of how precious our bodies are and how we should take good care of them!

Today was cleanmax day. So glad I did it. Also I went on the treadmill for 30 min.

Renee, Your bike riding is improving very fast. Keep us posted on what happens to you and your knee. Try and get some sleep.

Laura, Great job on teaching your class, Imax 2. I will head your reminder, can't take anything for granted for sure.

Have a really eventful evening everyone,

Janie

Joey and I did TBS. We used heavy weight. Also Joey and I got a new couch, took out the old one, brought in the new one. If you ever dealt with moving a couch you know it's such a pain and so darn hard to do. They are not stable/off balance, so awkward, and very heavy. We managed to finish. Whew! That in its self was a workout, and was spent by the time we got done. I'm surprised both of us got out unscathed.:confused: Oh, and I've started on Weight Watchers. I haven't bought anything, my sister gave me a calculator and a tracker and a pocket book for how many points food are so that we can motivate each other. I started last week, and of course skipped my B day and started up again on Monday. I need to lose weight! My clothes still fit the same:rolleyes:. I haven't weighed myself yet. Maybe tomorrow for the first time since WW.

Have a good one everyone,

Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.