Getting Our Licks In!

Good afternoon. I'm in New Orleans and it is just a tad bit warmer here (70 degrees and humid) than at home (14 degrees this morning). Ripken and I did our walk this morning--not the long one, but not our short one. I was feeling guilty because I knew he wouldn't be getting another good walkabout until Friday. Joe does take him to an area where he can run and play while I'm on travel, so it's not like he is being deprived. I did Step Moves this morning and I have travel fit in my suitcase, plus my weightlifting clubs for use in the fitness room at the hotel. Nice smooth flight to New Orleans. Now I'm hungry--no lunch on the plane--just a couple of granola bars. But I'm going to hang tough until dinner. It's hard to get a bad meal here in New Orleans!

Shoegal: congratulations on the Steelers' win. Both teams that we were rooting for won yesterday. Should be a good Super Bowl. We will be watching it from Jamaica! And, I guess I'm just a diehard dog walker. Plus we live in suburbia--not out in the countryside, so Ripken and I walk in all weather: snow, sleet, ice, rain, wind, hot and cold. Sometimes the walks are not as long as we like them to be, but we always get them in.

Michele_Z: Love RS--one of my favorites. Almost did that one this morning but opted for Step Moves. That's a great deal on the Shock Cardio Series. You are going to love it. Get ready to sweat, sweat, sweat.

Sister: you crack me up about getting in a low kick. Wicked, wicked, wicked.

Okay--my fun time is over. Need to check my work email.
~michelle

Michelle, Great job on the HR. Upper and lower is mighty hard. Well done. So glad your honey is feeling better, you are such a nurse to him. I also think you had a lot to do with it be feeding him 3 squares. OMG! Jamaica? Have fun! I'm so excited for the both of you. Can I go?

Renee, Great job on LM Steps and STS 11. Have fun with your sparing partner in Karate tomorrow, HEE HEE.:D

Shoegal, When the weather is that cold, there is no way I would build a snowman either. Probably couldn't anyway.:( So glad you are feeling better. It is great to get back into a routine again.

Michelez, Great job on RS. I just adore that one. I had to preview and do it at least three times before I could get all the way through it. Now I enjoy it very much. Congratulations on planning to buy the Shock Cardio Series. You won't be sorry.

Michelle, I'm drooling over your 70 degrees high temp in NO. Great job on Step Moves, gee, haven't done that one for awhile. Should think about doing it here soon. Enjoy your dinner, I bet it will be very special.:)

Have a nice evening everyone,

Janie

Today's workouts and Challenges: On the push ups I read it wrong and did the next week, but I got through it anyway. WooHoo!

Pull-Ups with 60 sec. between sets.
Assisted 3
Australian 5
Assisted 3
Australian 4
Negative 1

Push-Ups on toes with 60 sec. between sets.
9, 11, 8, 8, and 11. A total of 39 push ups

Squats with 60 sec. between sets.
13, 15, 11, 11, and 15

Sit ups with 60 sec. between sets.
14, 17, 12, 12 and 17

Used heavy weight for inner and outer thighs, hamstrings, biceps, triceps, and shoulders.

I felt really good tonight.

Janie

Last edited:
Hello everyone - hope you are all doing well both mentally and physically!

I did Lower Body Blast today and I already noticed an improvement from the first couple of time I did it. I am slowly getting there!

Good evening. Did Travel Fit this morning. That may be my workout for the next couple of days which is okay. I was able to get through just about all the arm band work without feeling any irritation in either of my elbows. They have slowly been feeling better and I don't want to risk any more boomeritis flare-ups in either one. Love to hate the ab work at the very end of travel fit. Missing my walkabouts with Ripken though.

Michele_Z: lower body blast is a blast, isn't it? I think just being familiar with the workout helps alot too.

Janie: that's some mightly awesome strength conditioning today. I'm impressed with your progress and tenacity. Good for you on those pushups and pullups.

Hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to another good meal here in New Orleans tonight.
~michelle

Did 30 min. of stair climber while watching TV.

Michelez, Great job on LBB. With all the work you've been doing it is no surprise that you are noticing improvements. Congratulations.:)

Michelle, Isn't TF fun? I just love that one.:) So glad to hear that your elbows are better. Yes, do listen to your body, you are doing great. I miss walking with Rolly. Hopefully Spring will get here a little earlier, you never know. I have tenacity? Now I'm even more inspired. WooHoo! Enjoy your dinner tonight. Yummy Nummy.

Hello everyone -

On Monday I did all of Step Mechanics and was able to perform all of the choreography - so it is now time to put it away. It was fun though. Yesterday I ran on the treadmill then did Tracy Anderson's Mat Workout. Found some of it a little tedious - and a little hard on the back in some places so I limited some of her movements - or just skipped it completely. A completely different way of working the muscles than lifting. New step workout tonight I think. I have a couple I haven't tried yet.

Not much going on right now - except I could really use a nap!!! :p Don't you wish sometimes to just have the opportunity of a little snooze in the middle of the day??

Hello all! Did Cardio & Weights today - man that is a hard one. I did almost NO modifications (ya me!) but I did take a couple of breaks by hitting the pause button :p. I plan on doing the three gym style workouts on Mon., Wed., and Fri. of next week.

On a different note, it appears that my schnauzer finds obedience classes boring :eek:. He loves agility and rally but formal obedience bores the bejesus out of him.....well it bores me too so maybe he is picking up on that. He is able to do all of the different commands but the fine tuning of getting his feet JUST SO is not fun for either of us.....so at least I know I won't pursue anymore of that! We are taking a Treibball class in March - look it up on Youtube if you are interested - looks like good fun!

Another day in sunny New Orleans. I'm not complaining because it is snowing at home right now. Did a good stretch this morning which I really needed. Helped to work out some of the kinks.

This evening we are eating at NOLA--one of Emeril's restaurants here in New Orleans. I've been eating light all day so that I am good and hungry for dinner this evening.

Michelle Z: love cardio and weights. It is one of my favorites. The step premix from C&W is good too if you are looking for about 35 minutes of good step cardio. And I bet your dog is picking up on your boredom in obedience class. Is this something that you do with all the dogs that you have/have had? I thought about taking Ripken to obedience class when we first got him almost 10 years ago but I was afraid we would both flunk out. I've never heard of Treibball class. Will have to check that out.

Shoegal: Are you getting snow in western PA?

Janie: what do you mean that you miss walking with Rolly? Is all the rain keeping you all from going out for walks? I think I've missed the bubble on something here.

Hi to the rest of the gang. I believe Laura is under the weather with the flu bug. Hope you get better soon. Hi to the rest of the gang: Sister, Shadowpup, and Elle_P.
~michelle

Yo! Yo! Yo! I just finished Mesocycle 1 of STS! Whoopee! Feels good to have that behind me. I am really looking forward to Mesocycle 2, after a nice week of active recovery that is.

It's icky and cold, and snowy and, well...icky. Only 55 more days until Spring!! Can't wait, but there is so much to accomplish at school and with karate, and fitness in general. My school system sent us home early today because of the weather. Loved that! Sister, you better enjoy the mild setting of New Orleans, because its back to reality soon. Ah, but then it will be "bon voyage", eh?

Like Michelle (sister) I love Cardio and Weights! It has one of my favorite ab routines (as far as ab routines go)! Those power squats in the last cardio section were such a challenge to me, but now I just "TOWANDA!" my way thru them. MichelleZ, you really are getting there slow but sure, and thats the only way to do it! I'm proud of your accomplishments. Keep up the good work!

I hope everyone is surviving their January/winter. Its my least favorite month of the year. At least its almost over! :D

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.
Vince Lombardi

~Renee~

Hi, slowly recovering... We went skiing on Sunday & I got so cold just gearing up that my fingers hurt! I took one run with the fam. & then for the VERY 1st time in my life sat in the lodge while everyone else skied, we went out to brunch @ 2pm and I was in bed by 4!! I took Monday & Tuesday off of my classes, but by Tuesday afternoon I was feeling restless & wanted to move bait. I decided to do the All Step from Cross- Train X-press which I still had not done and wanted to try as I have really been enjoying the more steady state step routines that I have ( a very limited amount of) I did it with no riser to keep it easy. I LOVED it! in had so much fun and wanted more so I decided to do the step only from Step, jump, & Pump.... And then the step from Body Max 2!!!! all with no riser which was perfect and I found a much easier way for me to learn the choreography!! Today in had privates in Boulder, by 3 I was exhausted so took a quick nap before teaching my Total Tone Class. I am still not 100% but doing better

I like "TOWANDA!" - going to have to remember that one :p.

As for obedience classes, I have always trained my dogs myself which I am going to admit I am pretty good at (due to some awesome training videos) but I never took a class with them - they were GSDs and somewhat dog aggressive. Grady is the first dog that I have worked hard at getting him socialized so I can take him to fun classes and such - so I had no idea how freaking boring obedience classes were until this one. Don't get me wrong, some people and dogs seem to love formal obedience and it sure is impressive when a team does precision obedience - I just don't have any love for it apparently. Grady knows how to "front" and "heel", etc. because I taught him - I just have not taught him to a level that he does it PERFECT with every little toe in line....can you say YAWN factor? (lol).

Joey and I decided not to workout together until my challenges are completed, then we will get back to normal. Pull up was 3 assisted, 5 Australian, 3 assisted, 5 Australian, and 2 hang. For Push ups was 10, 12, 9, 9, and 15. For Squats was 13, 16, 13, 13, and 25. Sit ups was 15, 18, 14, 14, and 50 After tonight I realize sit ups were too easy, so decided to start with the last week of week 3 on Friday. Then start with week 4.

Shoegal, Every now and then, (it's so rare) I get a nap in. It's is Heaven.:) Great job with Step Mechanics, Yeah, you did it! Also a great job on the treadmill and Mat work with Tracy.

MicheleZ, Great job on C&W. Don't you just love that one? It make me feel so good afterward, because it is tough. I'm going to look up Treibball. I've never heard of it. Your schnauzer sounds like such a big little man. Cute story.

Michelle, Glad to hear you are working out some of those kinks by stretching. Good for you. I envy the wonderful weather you are experiencing. I hope you enjoyed NOLA, sounds yummy. It just keeps raining all the time, and my little guy hates getting wet for so long. He prefers to stay in the house. As soon as it gets to be better weather, we'll walk long walks again. It's so nasty over here. Wet!

Renee, Congratulations on finishing STS Meso 1! What will your active recovery consist of? It's always nice to be sent home because of weather, enjoy. Great job on C&W. It is one of my favorites too.

Laura, When you get that cold from skiing, you are wise to sit things out. Sounds like you might have caught something. It's not like you, to have no classes. Great job on All Step, a good one to get back in there with exercise. Then you did Step, Jump and Pump and also step from Body Max 2. You had energy didn't you!?! Glad you are getting better.;) Rest indeed.

Have a nice evening everyone,

Janie

Hi Everyone,
I have been pretty busy at work but still managing to keep up with my daily yoga. I've been using Shiva Rea Beginner, Yogini, and Daily Energy in addition to my own stuff. I'm planning on adding in some new stuff for February which is just around the corner. I mark all of my workouts/yoga with a sticker on my calendar and January is full of "yin-yang" stickers which i use for yoga.:)

My office is trying to organize a Boot Camp fitness class. There should be a trial class next week so I'm planning to check it out.

Today, my school system gave us a snow day! At first it was a 2 hour delay, then they closed. I guess there were still some icy roads. Its better to be safe then sorry, but I wish we had gone. My after school Orff program was supposed to start today. Oh well, such is life.

My knee has been feeling pretty good, so I decided on the step only premix from Intensity. I've only done Intensity once all the way thru back when it first came out. How I managed that is beyond me! lol Thirty minutes of just the step portion is killer! Of course this is after yesterdays STS 12 for legs! Call me crazy, but its all good, right? And tomorrow is my rest day, ahhhhh.

We didn't get a lot of snow, just enough to make the roads icy and dangerous. I sure hope we go tomorrow. Doubt the kids were Michelle live will be going back. Northern Virginia got hammered! LOL, good place for it!

Active recovery coming up. Looks like lots of cardio, abs, and stretches. Later today I think I'll work on Universal 5 for karate. Belt graduation is on the 18th of February, I'll be moving on to purple.

Okay, hope everyone is doing well. Keep up the good work with your exercise everybody! Cuz don't it feel good???

~Renee

Hi all! Bad weather east cut my trip short - I'm the lucky one, many colleagues had horrible travel experiences. I've got many work urgencies due to all the rescheduling though. Hope to check in tonight.

BTW, this trip I was able to do a Cardio Coach again! My back seemed up to the 'jarring', so I went with the elliptical. Goodness, CC2 seems much harder than before! There's a ways to go before my cardiovascular endurance is back to normal. On the plus side, calories get burned faster when you are out of shape :rolleyes:

Hey Ya'll!

This illness is so weird! Sick not sick, tired to exhausted to ok...can't seem to go either way! It is frustrating!

Today I woke up and my right knee was killing me! I must of irritated it last night in my class, but never felt it 'tweak' or any moment where it was even uncomfortable. But it was killing me today which SUCKED because it was a relatively nice day and I had a chance to ski with a friend! It was such a BUMMER! I decided to X-Country instead which was really awesome and beautiful and a decent workout out. So it was ok and my knee didn't bother me until after 2 hours so I decided to call it quits.

But then I was so crazy tired afterwards, I actually fell asleep on the couch for 30 minutes during the girls violin lessons.:eek: and I am still tired! My throat is sore and have a slight cough...

Was ravishing today. Eight 2 bananas and a serving of nachos that were extra from my meals. Not good.:( Did 20 min. on stair climber. Jeesh:eek: Better get some rest tonight, big time. I had DOMS today. I only had a banana for lunch today. I bet I should have eaten protein with that. Would have solved my problem. Darn.

Elle, Great job on the daily yoga. Oh! I hope your office will have a Boot Camp class. More work related places should do that. Enjoy it!

Renee, Hope you had a wonderful time off school on a snow day. What is Orff program? Of Cathe's new DVD's, it was the step portion in Intensity. It's hard! Can't imagine doing it when the day before you did legs. Whew! Have a good rest day tomorrow. Good plan for active recovery. What is Universal 5? I've been intrigued with your Karate classes, and I'm so proud of you. Up to purple already. You are awesome!

Deborah, Awe, you are back.:D Great job on the CC and the elliptical. Just love CC, need to find time to add them somewhere somehow into my tight schedule.

Laura, Hoping you feel better soon. Sounds so Yucky! Two hours of X-country skiing is awesome. You did good especially with a possible injury.

Take care lovely people,

Janie

Did the treadmill last night - kept increasing the speed - it felt great. Afterwards I did Tracy Anderson's Mat workout again. I have to tell you - the arms were killing me!!! I managed to do all of the legs this time - I decided to give TA more of a fair shot because I usually don't like her - but I had DOMS following this workout last time so - I am going to do her workouts next week too.

MicheleZ - I am also a fan of Cardio & Weights, keep it up!! I am wondering about your pets - You seem to spend a lot of time with Grady but you never mention your other dog??? What is he like? Grady sounds like a super smart little guy!!!

Michelle - 70 degrees is way warmer - all it has done here is snow!!!!! It snowed yesterday, it is snowing today - and it is brutally cold. Actually, I am not complaining - I like a good winter. I like a clear division of the seasons - I hate a winter that it never snows - it is just dreary looking & cold. I don't think we had one day in January when there wasn't snow on the ground. I know you hate it all - so I'm glad you get to escape and get some warm sun!!

Laura - sounds like your cold is zapping your energy and you need your rest. You still manage to get quite a bit of activity in the day - what is my excuse??? :eek::confused: My February is filling up with stuff to do - (can you believe that??!?!?!) and my DH is complaining - he told me not to schedule anything else during the month!!!!

Renee - I've never done Intensity all the way through - My first experience with it was the step only premix - and I agree - KILLER!!! I am now petrified of doing the entire workout. I should have just jumped into it - that was the better way to go. You sure are kicking butt in Karate - congrats on moving up to purple.

Janie - Don't beat yourself up about a couple of bananas!! MMM- sounds good, actually. Is Joey still doing his exercises without you? I hope so!! Good job on your challenges - you seem to be doing quite well.

Elle - I'd love it if they had classes at my work - we do have a workout room - a lot of people take advantage of it. I wonder if you could teach a Yoga class there as well???

Shadowpup - good to hear from you - glad you made it back safe from your trip -looking forward to hearing more from you.

Alright -hope everyone has a great weekend.

Hi all!

Did Step Fit today - only a couple of modifications. I was tired when I got done. I ordered the Shock Cardio Series!!! I also ordered 4 Day Split - couldn't resist :D. I was going to get free shipping if I ordered one more DVD but opted for going all out because I wanted 4 Day Split.

Shoegal - we do have another dog - she is a 16 year old rat terrier-chi mix (mixed mutt) named Kookie. I don't do a lot with her because she has always been horribly stubborn and has no inclination to play or cuddle or train. I love her but she just isn't a heart dog to me. I got her from my mom when I was in my mid 20s. She just wants to eat, sleep and then do that all over again. Most people might not want to admit it, but sometimes there are dogs that you just love beyond measure and then you get this odd one that you love but you just don't feel close to - that is Kookie.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.