Getting Older

NY25

Cathlete
Anyone stuggling with getting older and just how your body is changing (getting softer and things getting saggier, etc)? How do you cope?
I'm in my now late 40s and am really starting to struggle with my appearance. One day I feel okay and the next I feel completely freaked out and unfortable with everything about myself. Worse it that I'm single, so have no one to talk me out of any of this and tell me anything different. I feel old but in my head I feel like I still want to be in my 20s. Mirrors have become the enemy. Dating? Forget about it!! Can't even image it.
I'm so confused, stressed and almost depressed about it all. :(

Anyone stuggling with getting older and just how your body is changing (getting softer and things getting saggier, etc)? How do you cope?
I'm in my now late 40s and am really starting to struggle with my appearance. One day I feel okay and the next I feel completely freaked out and unfortable with everything about myself. Worse it that I'm single, so have no one to talk me out of any of this and tell me anything different. I feel old but in my head I feel like I still want to be in my 20s. Mirrors have become the enemy. Dating? Forget about it!! Can't even image it.

I'm so sorry that you are feeling bad :( I am 50 and I do understand.

Judy

Hey I am with you!

Aging stinks, no wait, it STINKS!

I am 55 and I struggle everyday to actually believe it.

I am in great physical condition, I am a certified health coach and personal trainer, so believe me I do everything possible to keep fit. I have been working out with Cathe for 20 years. Tabatas bring 'em on, I can plyo jack, tuck jump and air jack with the best of them. I can do flys with 35# dumbbells, double arm curls with 27.5 pounders and pull overs with a 47.5# dumbbell. I am super proud of my upper arms, I worked really hard for them.

But yikes what is going on around the edges, my elbows are sagging, my knees are wrinkled, my jawline is dropping and my roots are must certainly showing through nice and gray.
Oh yeah and don't forget the bifocal contacts! My legs look great when I am upright but I can't stand to look at my thighs during downward facing dog.

Again, growing older STINKS. :mad:

People say grow old gracefully - well to tell you the truth I don't think there is anything graceful about getting old. I too hate my mirror.

But the worse part of getting older is the math. I remember the past 30 years quite clearly (and I remember exactly how fast has passed). So what really freaks me out is lying awake during the night (which is another wonderful bonus of being older - yo yo sleeping) and adding 30 and 55 and getting 85!

I was hoping that by the end of this rant I would have made some sort of brilliant observation about getting older - buy duh nope. It just stinks that's all. I will continue to fight it by eating heathfully, working out as hard and as smart as I can, and by enjoying every breath (pant or gasp) that I can.

I love my life - even though I really hate my elbows.

Fitness is the best anti-aging weapon we have.

Sorry for the rambling rant, it is something we old folks do ;)

Debbie Russo

Hey I am with you!

I am in great physical condition, I am a certified health coach and personal trainer, so believe me I do everything possible to keep fit. I have been working out with Cathe for 20 years. Tabatas bring 'em on, I can plyo jack, tuck jump and air jack with the best of them. I can do flys with 35# dumbbells, double arm curls with 27.5 pounders and pull overs with a 47.5# dumbbell. I am super proud of my upper arms, I worked really hard for them.

But yikes what is going on around the edges, my elbows are sagging, my knees are wrinkled, my jawline is dropping and my roots are must certainly showing through nice and gray.
Oh yeah and don't forget the bifocal contacts! My legs look great when I am upright but I can't stand to look at my thighs during downward facing dog.

People say grow old gracefully - well to tell you the truth I don't think there is anything graceful about getting old. I too hate my mirror.

But the worse part of getting older is the math. I remember the past 30 years quite clearly (and I remember exactly how fast has passed). So what really freaks me out is lying awake during the night (which is another wonderful bonus of being older - yo yo sleeping) and adding 30 and 55 and getting 85!

I was hoping that by the end of this rant I would have made some sort of brilliant observation about getting older - buy duh nope. It just stinks that's all. I will continue to fight it by eating heathfully, working out as hard and as smart as I can, and by enjoying every breath (pant or gasp) that I can.

Debbie Russo

Amen! I try to focus on the things I can do something about, and try to ignore the things I can't--but we all have those days.

Debbie!! I do that ! I think at times I feel 16 and think wow how fast did 20 years goes and I get scared. I am thinking same way you, exercise and eat right and try to find good things I think are ok about me.
Another thing I do is try to focus on helping others more or loving on my dogs! Lol those things bring me joy

I agree, getting old sucks some days and yes that downward dog position can make me cringe! I'm 50 this year and while the number is not a big deal, the sagging skin really bugs me sometimes. Most days I feel pretty good, I can wear a bikini at 50 that I couldn't wear at 20! But lately I can't pull my ponytail any tighter to smooth out my eye area!!:)
Sherry

I am 52 and in the throes of menopause. Despite eating super clean, exercising hard and trying to get a good nights sleep, my middle is expanding at a slow and steady rate, my jawline is starting to sag and my memory is foggy at times. I am very lucky to be healthy and have a fabulous family and friends surrounding me. I have been mistaken for my granddaughters mother ( she is 9 ) and regularly meet with surprised looks when I tell people my age.
My frustration lies in the fact that I am no longer my younger self. I can't run anymore ( a pesky ankle injury from Christmas 2011 prevents that) I have more years behind me than in front of me - not likely to live to 104- and I can't work out at the same intensity that I could even 5 years ago although I still am teaching bootcamp, kickbox, yoga and pilates classes and can outperform much younger people in my class.
Our culture places sooooo much value in youth It is a shame that women my age become almost "invisible" in society. I have been looked over in the line at the deli, run over by carts in the home improvement store and have been ignored when out with my much older ""silver fox" husband. I get so mad about all the young girls raving about how hot George Clooney is! I am the same age as he is and my jawline is much tighter despite it's softening and if I let my hair grow gray I would not be thought of as "hot". Like my Mom always said "Eve should have never eaten that apple because females have been paying for it ever since"- the pain of childbirth, the changes to your body because of childbirth, the monthly "pains", the pain of realizing that aging women are not respected by society in general..... you get what I mean.

What keeps me sane ( despite the rant above) is a quote I read a few years back that lends gravity to this whole discourse. "Age is a privilege not bestowed on all... use it wisely and be grateful for it." I work as a radiation therapist and have seen many lives end prematurely. I am truly grateful for each day I have and the health that I have, I just wish society as a whole would recognize the value of the middle age and older people.

"Age is a privilege not bestowed on all... use it wisely and be grateful for it."

I love this !!!

Although I am not happy with the physical changes going on ( for me they really didn't become pronounced until in my 50's)
and they way my body looks, it sure beats the alternative !

One thing that getting a little older has helped for me is that when I see an 85 year old woman I realize that in her mind she isn't 85. 'Cause I know I really am the same me I was at 23 and 37 and... I am just wiser now than I was then. I guess the thicker waistline is the price for that wisdom :) !

I agree about exercise being such a good way to feel younger- it really helps!

I've just finished the novel 'The Gift of Rain' by Tan Twang Eng. It's a beautiful book, and whilst not about aging per se, it does show how ageism is a Western prejudice.
Worth a read - especially if you are 'in training' for anything.

And, I hear you on down dog for the knees, but what I really hate is my stomach in upper plank............

I am right where you are age-wise and even though I am married, I most certainly try to not talk to DH about all my sagging and bagging. My mom told me to not point out the bad things about me to my husband because if you are nice and kind to them they generally do not care or notice these things unless they are extreme! So there is no way that I am going to point out to DH my bigger belly and oh yeah...do you see how I am getting jowl-y, or even though I work my butt off..there is another cellulite dimple ...dang it! Besides that his eyes are getting bad too so he probably cannot see it anyway...also as long as we have sex and he is fed, he is happy:eek::rolleyes:

But really, I hope you feel better and I understand sister, I am right there with you.

Hey I am with you!

Debbie Russo

This just cracks me up! :D:D
Amen to all of it!
WTH is up with the sagging elbows?! Seriously?!:confused: I've said it, and I'll say it again. I'm going to sleep upside down like a bat. The stuff has got to go the other direction....ya think?:D

There is always an up and down side to everything. I'm 51 and am enjoying the challenge of fighting all the negative things that come with age. Yes, there are lots of issues that cannot be reversed that happens with your body but the mind is there and present. I try to focus on all the things I can do that many people younger than me can't do. I also focus on the fact that I am more comfortable with myself. I much more balanced with my emotions and things don't bother me as much as they used to. I'm more mellow and I care less about my looks than I used to when I was younger. I workout and eat healthy but I do that more for my health. Looking good is a bonus.

I am single but I'm fortunate to have 2 other sisters that are also single and also in their 50's. We workout together and keep each other motivated.

I believe getting older is a blessing.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! There was some funny stuff in here - sleep upside down like a bat! And I love the "age is a privelege" quote. I feel a bit better today. Guess I was just having a bad weekend. I think I topped it off by possibly misreading someone and flirting inappropriately with them (because I'm so old and out of practice, of course! I don't know what's what anymore) and I topped it off by letting some of my "I'm so old" cuckoo out of the clock on top of it. I'd like that whole few hours back!! Now I feel like an arse! Aack!!

I feel your pain. Getting old sucks!

Getting old does suck...and it's too late for me to die young and leave a good looking corpse....but I know how lucking I am at my age to be so healthy(I'll be 50 in Oct.)...I have already outlived many of my classmates( one died last week of liver failure)...so things bag and drag...paint you bathroom bright yellow or orange, put bright lights up, look at yourself(not too close) one time before you walk out the door, and don't worry about it.

I guess I need to count my blessings. When I meet someone for the first time, they think I'm 32 when I'm actually 52. I work my ass off and I'm not going to give up like my mother and let myself go.

I believe that most of the women on this forum set a GREAT example of living life...not just letting it pass us by! I have so many things I still want to do and so many more things I want to learn! I am NOT done yet :eek:! I don't miss my bland youth at all! It takes time to develop a nice "seasoning" and makes you far more interesting ;)! SAVOR IT!!!

While I do lament the loss of my younger self, I love where I am mentally. I wish I could've been kinder to myself when I was younger. I pounded my body hard every single day and never took a break. I measured and counted everything I ate. I was in great shape,but I couldn't even see it. I've definitely paid the price for not listening to my body.I am still in good shape, but I just can't do the same things I used to be able to do. Does that get me down? Definitely, on some days. I hate that I can't run or do high impact anymore, but I am finally happy with myself, I've learned to accept and love myself in a way I was unable to do when I was younger. Try not to feel down about aging, cause it is true----Aging is a privilege not bestowed on all. Every day is a blessing!

I'm 50. While I miss my perfect vision and not having black chin hairs that I can't see without a magnifying mirror, I would not want to be a young person in today's world. I'm so happy that I experienced life before technology took over, global warming, and 9/11 (remember not having to take off your shoes and go through a metal detector before going on a plane?).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.