Getting Older

I think it's interesting when someone says they are often told they look 10 or 20 years younger than they are. That doesn't bode well for what the young people look like. It's great that those of us here are very conscious of aging and taking care of ourselves, but to be told that at age 50-something that we look like a 30 or 40 year old just means that people 30 and 40 years old don't look so good. All things being equal, the 30 and 40 year olds should look 15 or 20, right? ;)

I like to think I look my age because this is what my age should look like! I never mind telling my age, and am proud of each passing year.

I do everything I can to stay healthy and fit. That's about all you can do. I am almost 57 and my worst complaint is the changes I see in the texture of my skin. If that's the worst thing that happens, it's all good by me. I am so very thankful for my health and the ability to run fast and far, lift heavy weights and jump around like a maniac! :cool:

"While I do lament the loss of my younger self, I love where I am mentally"

I like this quote from Jennifer.

I am with you all and mentally and emotionally agree with everything that has been said.

I have just returned from another 2 weeks in the UK spent looking after my aging parents, aged 80 and 82, and I can tell you all, from what I have witnessed, I am so happy to be 48 and not 88. I don't have dementia, bladder or kidney infections, poor circulation so I can't feel my toes and finger tips very well, high blood pressure, a twisted, compressed spine, trapped nerves, a broken wrist that has re-set badly and the need for cataract removal operations in both eyes.

My poor and most deeply-beloved parents suffer from all of the above between them. Growing older 'aint pretty, it doesn't look particularly good and it feels worse. But, I come from good stock, I am strong, I intend to remain that way and exercise is going to help me age as slowly and as painlessly as possible.

It has been my privilege to be raised and loved by such wonderful people, and despite all the aches and pains that now beset her, in addition to looking after my dementia-addled father, my mother does not look back with any regret at all. She constantly reminds me, as I bemoan her current lot in life, that she has been very lucky: my father's job and salary allowed her to travel extensively, to meet interesting people, to pursue her botanical interests in her fabulous English country garden, to go to the theatre, opera and to dinner frequently and enjoy a more active social life than most people half her age!

It must surely be our intent to do the same: age as gracefully and as well as we can and make sure, when we are 80, whatever state we are in and our loved ones are in by that time, that we are not besieged by regrets for the things not done, chances not taken, opportunities rejected or missed. By the time we are 80, it will not be wrinkles and saggy knees that bother us, merely the possibility of a wasted life.

I do not want to ever realize I wasted my life, no matter now much hair I lose (that's my cross to bear, my knees and elbows seem OK) as I live it.

Clare

I'm 62. Yep it stinks getting older. But really what else can you do to fight it? Except making sure your body is stretched and also continue with weight lifting. All the combinations of Cathe's DVD's helps tremendously.

I guess I've been lucky because hadn't really felt the effects of aging until I was 61. It seems overnight that my skin is dripping wrinkles. Yuck!

All I can say is everyone will go through this, some worse than others. There is no stopping it and I have to tell you, it's the brave bunch that make it through without being insane/depressed/lonely. In the end we use up our bodies and there is no way around it.

Be brave, stay with exercise and stretch, stretch stretch. Keep yourselves busy with the things that make you happy, whether it's projects in the yard, reading, art, movies, travel, dancing...time will fly by very quickly, but at least you will be doing things you love.

Be around people and socialize, don't be alone, make the effort to get involved, learn something new. The Idea is to die young as late as possible.

OK, enough preaching all ready. It seems to work for me so I thought I'd share it.

Janie

Last edited:
Wow I understand that! Even getting a job is hard, I mean to get one in the dental field is good but it seems after you get the job it is hard to make friends, I had lost my job after11 years in same place and went to military got out tried to find a new job man that was like grade school! Long story. So ill save that, now I work for a dental office with two workers me included! That's better cause there isn't a third person to talk about you, but it can be boring. I have a good since of humor and hard to laugh alot when u are bored to years! Thank goodness for my patient s! They are all awesom.
Friends outside of work? How, and when and where can you meet?

Hi Ladies,

We are our worst enemies when it come to judging our looks. I'm 56 and will be 57 in August and yes, there has been changes in my appearance and my body, but I still feel beautiful and sexy. My DM is 74 years old and has been on the heavy side her whole life but she taught me to love myself no matter what anyone else thought. I still workout consistently and I'm healthy and I thank God for that.

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.