Fitness as a hobby

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-02 AT 01:01PM (Est)[/font][p]Oh my god, sometimes I just WATCH the tapes, like late at night if nothing is on TV. I TOTALLY classify working out as a hobby. Two years ago my birthday fell on a night I usually went to a cardio kickboxing class, and my coworkers said, 'So are you doing anything special for your birthday?' And I said No, I'm just going to my kickboxing class, And I got the two headed look too and they said oh don't go on your birthday, and I said, "I love it, its so FUN!" They didn't get that at all and laughed at me! Anyway, I was one of those people who had horrible experiences in PE, never thought I'd ever be athtletic until I found aerobics classes/videos in college. Now I'm a Cathe devotee and working towards my black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Recently I was at a business lunch with some women I work with and we were eating at a great deli, and I said, MAN I love to eat. And they said, Where do you PUT it? I wanted to say, I put it into my workouts! My chiropractor asked me if I work out alone, or with someone and I said alone because I don't know anyone who wants to work out as much as I do. It is a lonely thing sometimes!

Wow, it's great to see that you all feel the same way I do about exercise. It used to be that when people asked me what my hobby was I'd mumble something like, "uh, I dunno, watching movies?" I never understood how people could be so into something that they'd spend all their time on it. That is, until I started using exercise videos and found message boards like this. Now I think about exercising and videos all the time. I spend way too much time on message boards. I go home after work and watch videos, because I can't wait until my morning workout. I spend hours planning my next workout and trying to find that perfect rotation. I track everything I do on a color-coded Excel spreadsheet complete with graphs. When I finish a workout my first thought is, "When can I do this again?" I'm obsessed, and I love it.

This thread reminds me of a funny article I read recently. I posted it on another board and some people appreciated it, while others found it off-putting. The guy is clearly exaggerating for the sake of humor, but I personally think he's onto something. You can read it here if you like: http://www.fitnessboard.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=100001912&forum=6&30

- Jennifer

RE: Boy, do I agree!

That is so true! I was reading over all of these posts and yours struck me because I was wondering why "IT" was so revolutionary and wonderous? It's just like a standing Lark, that's all. I always wondered why "IT" was such a great invention.

I have to say that my dh has always been incredibly supportive of my exercise hobby. We converted an old bedroom into my workout room so I can close the door and have my 60-90 minutes 6x a week without interruption. He has done some serious weightlifting in the past so has given me tips on exercises that I've found of value. He's also purchased 2 sets of barbells (curl and straight with plate weights) for me as a surprise. Every time I want to talk about my exercise regime, he's always there to listen and contribute.

My mother has never done one exercise in her life and is now suffering from 2 knee replacements, has already had 2 strokes (thank goodness she's fine) and is overweight and can't walk without the aid of a walker (she's 65). My father, OTOH, had a heart attack at age 42 and revamped his life around fitness (he walks every night for an hour and works out with weights, swims, etc.) & nutrition afterward and has been told that his body is like that of a 40 year old (he's 75). He's also been told he looks no older than 50. I wish for my mother's sake she could be more healthy because I know she's miserable, but she's never been one to walk more than she ever had to, literally.

I want my own daughters (11 & 12) to see that fitness and nutrition for health reasons is more important than anything, not conforming for society's standards. I love the way I feel after working out, I have so much energy and know that I've done something good for myself.

I too love my hobby. And I do tell people that fitness is my number one hobby. I am a dental hygienist and I get to see the same patients again and again. I have had the same patients for 5 years.

Now, they have started asking me more and more about fitness. I used to tell them about Cathe, but now I'm a lot more general and encourging them on anything about fitness. A couple of my women patients have actually "followed in my footsteps" and really shaped up! I like to think that I was a small influence on them.

I love talking to someone who's on the verge of making that positive lifestyle change! Cathe has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. Maybe some day, some day, I will know someone in my everyday life (outside of this forum) who also knows the joy of working out with Cathe. This forum is so precious to me!

By the way, today I rollerbladed a little over an hour. That was a nice cardio break. A Sante!

Fitness and exercise are not only my profession, but my passion! I started working out years and years ago in response to an ad for increasing bust size through yoga--I was 12 at the time. Now we all know that was a joke, but it did get me started.

I had a wonderful jr. high and high school PE teacher who really sparked my interest. Unlike most PE classes of the day--sad to say, of today, too--Mrs. Hampton believed in teaching us about how activity made our bodies better, stronger, healthier and happier. We did aerobic dance, weight lifting, and gymnastics in addition to the traditional calesthentics and running and team sports. Too bad there isn't more classes like that today.

I firmly believe that exercise is the key to eliminating/preventing the accumulation of excess body fat. I also believe that the first step in the journey to a healthy lifestyle has to be a permanent committment to a comprehensive fitness program. Diet is secondary in that once a person becomes active, their bodies will naturally crave the foods that allow them to continue the activity. It is a variation on the theme of the body adapting to demands imposed on it--if you demand it to be active, it will adapt its desires for food to include those substances that meet its needs.

People in general don't want to hear this--instead, they want to hear that there is some miracle diet or pill that will allow them to be slim and svelte without any work. Hogwash! A fit and firm body takes sweat equity, period. Without it, it ain't gonna happen.

Talk about looking at someone like they have two heads--you should see the looks I get when people find out that light lifting doesn't get it. They really freak out when they hear the amount of weight with which I train.

Between the media's promotion of fitness "experts" (read nice bodies, head attached, but many times with wind whistling between the ears), and the typical American way of avoiding moving their cans at all costs, no wonder the fad diet market is skyrocketing.

If they only knew the truth--use it or lose it!
Maribeth

It's so nice to hear people feel like me! I get the same exact thing: "why do you work out so much" "what does your 5 year old do when you're workingout", OR "don't you think you're taking this to the extreme". As a whole, most of the remarks are made by overweight people. My response to them is this IS a positive thing for my daughter to see and exercising 6 days a week is a necessity to me both physically and emotionally. You get a feeling of accomplishment, like you could conquer to world! If you've had a bad day at work, it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

I have never felt better than I do now. I don't always get negative comments. Alot of people think I look great. But who cares. I'm finally figuring out in my thirties that the only opinion about yourself that counts IS YOURS! Not the neighbors, not coworkers -- yours.

I couldn't agree with you all more. I very rarely talk to people about my hobby because they don't understand. I love this forum because everyone understands and feels the same way.
And this forum is so motivating.

Joanne

I just had to add in again! My hubby has always respected my "passion" for fitness and never tried to poke fun of it. However he has also never been one to exercise. He's your average Joe so I have never really worried about his weight anyway. I cook only healthy food for us(though who knows what he gets out of those candy machines!).
Well, FINALLY 2 weeks ago he started using the Corporate Fitness Center at his office. This fitness center is awesome. It has everything a major health club has. I don't go there #1 cuz we live 40mn away from it and they don't have child care and #2 I just love to workout at home!!! I am so happy he has finally started a program. He askes my advice,rather shyly :) and I do my best to encourage him but not over do it. He told me tonight so far he's lost 6 pounds! I am so happy for him. I hope he keeps it up. Looks like after 13 years I've finally managed to rub off on him! Susan

RE: Candori and all

Cathy-
You may want to point out to your husband that if he does not feel happy and excited for you it is probably because he is intimidated by all of the positive changes he sees in you and afraid that he can't keep up! Having made such a harsh comment, I will add that the two of you should discuss it and be honest about your feelings. It's perfectly natural for spouses to be insecure sometimes, but to realize it and do something about it is a lovely feeling! Usually, just talking about it is enough to make a big difference.
I think your post really brought out the frustrated psychologist in me! LOL! Good luck!
-Nancy

RE: Candori and all

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-02 AT 12:07PM (Est)[/font][p]Good for you,Aquajock!!! You are my hero! ;-)

Funny response! LOL! You may be jealous that I have a maid, but I'M jealous of Smohler, who posted below, who has a room devoted to working out. WOW!!! I have often day dreamed about moving out of the city JUST so I can have enough real estate for a workout room. But I don't have any other reason to move to the suburbs, as I have no kids, and the city is so convenient for so many things. Here I go again....
I dread getting older too, and I am concerned with becoming less attractive. Even more, though, I am concerned about staying healthy. Each of us on this forum has a greater probability of having better quality of life for a longer period than those who don't exercise (unless we take it too far and cause injuries). What better reward could anyone want? :) We are all mistresses of our universes! :) :)

Annette..

You story is especially inspiring to me given you were an addict that managed to switch your addiction. I really wish you could tell me how to do that. My dad is a practicing alcoholic...dangerously so.....that I SO wish somehow I could help him get into fitness instead. Crazy, huh?? Like they say, can't help people who don't want to help themselves!! I wish I knew how to inspire poeple, but I just never seem to be able to. I guess you just gotta Let Go, and Let God, right??

Sorry if that was too personal, but your post hit me at a very emotional level right now...I will keep wishing.....
'
Janice

Janice,

I'm hoping this will be a bit of encouragement: All the time I was growing up, my mom was a practicing alcoholic. She tried several times to kick it but her record for sobriety was 23 days and even that one was a miracle. Then something finally clicked for her and she was able to let go of the alcohol--yesterday was her three year anniversary! So you never know when it may happen. I'll be praying for you and your dad. Wishing you the best, --Karen

I think the reason, at least one reason TV, magazines and newspapers spend so little time about exercise and so much more time on diet pills and fad diets is because they don't want to lose advertising $$ on ads for fad diet books, and pills. Running stories on the benefits of exercise or stories contradicting fad diets could be hurtful to their bottom line, $$$!

I agree with Aquajock, Kay and many others of you. I'm relieved now that I finally am losing weight(15lbs, Yaaaaay! :) ) and toning up. Why did I go that long before starting a fitness program? Where was my head? :-rollen

That IT is now called the Segway Transporter or something like that, and I've thought the very same thing many of you have. It's simply an excuse for more and more people to become slothful couch potatoes. You want to move from point A-B, then walk or ride a bike if necessary.

I'm convinced a whole lot of people are using genetics as a handy, cop-out excuse for not getting off the couch covered with potato chip bags and donut boxes and getting some desperately needed exercise. They say, men and women and kids all, "Sorry, can't help being fat, it's just the genes" or "Just the body I was born with."

It is true that people inherit the genetics to be one body type or another, one of three basic kinds. Some to inherit the genetic tendency to store more fat. Does that give them an excuse to pig out and never exercise? Does having "fat genes" give them a blanket excuse to never even try to take proper care of themselves, and consequently look like the Jabba the Hut? I saw many women out at the pool this summer who were around 5'6 to 5'8 and weighed without a doubt over 300 lbs.

One of them who had seen me last summer complimented me on looking better, but then came the inevitable question. "What diet are you on?" I told her what I'd been up to and mentioned Cathe, and she just gave me that blank look. You know the look.
I could tell by the wrappers near her lounge chair that she had just polished off two cheeseburgers, large fries and a large Coke. She said the reason she couldn't exercise was because of her bad knees. Heard that one before. Okay, bad knees are a valid excuse to a point. But she could get on a stationary exercise bike(which my mother with bad knees does)or do water aerobics or something. But I knew she wasn't the type to try.
With exercise and sensible eating she could lose some weight and her knees wouldn't be stressed as much. We do have a water aerobics class in our community at the local Parks & Rec Dept.

As for gyms, I don't want to bash them. With staff members who really know what they're talking about, people could learn a lot and improve their health and fitness. But that's a problem for many gyms. One reason I got discouraged and turned off by gyms many years ago was because there was this one place where most of the staff were merely temps just putting in their time, often just a couple weeks before being replaced by another temp, most of whom didn't have a clue about fitness. A couple of girls they obviously hired strictly for window dressing and a couple of the guys were more interested in leaning against the furniture, walls and weight machines, often with their feet on the front desk. I think the owner must've thought that the Earth's gravity might suddenly fail or weaken and he needed some temps to hold the desks down with their feet if only for a second. ;-)

There was one guy there who was a runner at the local college and I know he could've told me more than I ever wanted to know about running cross country or the Boston Marathon. But he was a skinny little guy that most of you could probably whip his butt. I never saw him lift a weight, not even to put them back on the racks. He must've thought those 5 lb weights might pull a muscle and he'd be out for the whole season.

There was another guy at that gym who could've won an award for complacency and apathy above and beyond the call of duty. He did absolutely nothing the whole time but tie up the club's phone lines talking with his buddies and trying to pick up girls. One guy, who was a new member there at the same time as me said he had once asked that guy about the proper form for bench pressing, and said that he had given him the blank look, shrugged his shoulders, then stammered about with uh, this and uh that before saying something really lame like, "Uh, you'll like know you're uh doing it right, because it'll like, you know, feel right." The man telling me that rolled his eyes and then laughed saying, "I'll bet he won't be here long." I replied by saying something like, "I don't know. They've got a lot of clueless people here, who I thought would know a lot more than they do."

Sorry to ramble so long fitness fans. Those memories came flooding back tonight reading some of these posts. I learned more from you guys here in one week, than I ever did at that gym. I know there have to be some real good health clubs out there, but my experience was not so good. I'm glad I'm back in action and learning from such a great group of people like all of you. :)

I love fitness as a hobby, and if my DH sees me doing it, he always feels guilty for sitting on his butt and playing computer games, and always announces that he is starting swimming next week. He did buy an exercise bike in August and has been enjoying that whilst watching movies he forgot he had.

I love fitness as a hobby also because it is 'my time' after the children have gone to bed, it is a great way to unwind after running around after little ones all day ! And I know that it is doing me some good, and that I am achieving something, and it is something that the only person I am competing with is myself. I am not a very good competitive person, so team games are beyond me !

The kids accept my aerobics and step addiction, and I am glad because I hope that they will also, one day, have a fitness hobby !

Great topic

Anna

It's kind of funny that this thread came up because I didn't realize that fitness was my "hobby" until I was talking to my 20 year old son the other day about his hobby "after market cars". He bought a Honda and now wants to modify it with all the cool stuff they do nowadays, including a stereo, tv, etc. Well, I told him that he is crazy to spend this kind of money on a car and he said "But Mom, it's my hobby and I love it. You don't mind spending money on your hobby, working out!" Well, I couldn't argue with him there. He has grown up watching me work out and he knows that it's important to me.

Also, I agree with it being a "lonely" hobby. I talk to so many people at work and they all think I'm "nuts" to get up early in the morning to workout or to go home after work and do it. People tell me that they want to do it but they never keep it up or "if only they had someone to work out with". I don't like working out with others. I like to work out alone, at home with Cathe! I don't need anyone else to motivate or inspire me to do something healthy for myself. BTW, dh and I used to work out together, but now because of our schedules, we workout at different times, which gives us more flexibility to do the workouts we prefer to do. I like rotations, but he doesn't have the patience to "make it a science" as he says I do. Anyway, seeing that it's Sunday, I'm going through the rotations, checking out a new rotation for tomorrow. (I just got 4 new Cathe DVD's in the mail) and have ordered the presale!

That's why I like this forum, because we all think alike and it's hard to find in the real world! Thanks!

Donna M :)

I love reading all of your stories.

Fitness has been my hobby for over 20 years and I haven't met many people, face to face, who share my interest. The internet fitness forums are truly wonderful; I've actually found people who are like me!

Yeah Cyberfit!! Where are all those people in real life?? I can't imagine that there are so many on this site, but no one I have ever met face to face either. Seems strange, but you are right, thank god for the internet!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.