Favorite Pre Workout Snack?

FitGirlGear

Hi everyone!!

I am writing an article about best pre-workout snacks. Would love to hear about your favorites!

Mine is peanut butter with a few slices of apples. I try not to overdo it with carbs, so I can burn the stored carbs instead of the ones I eat right before hitting the gym.

I have a handful of Nature Valley Almond Nut Clusters before a run. Then when I get home, I have skim milk with chocolate whey powder. Maybe a banana if they're not too ripe.

If it's my long run, I'll have a glass of water with lemon juice and a tbsp of organic wildflower honey to wash down the Nut Clusters.

Last edited:
Yum!!

I agree - bananas are great as a post workout snack. I used to have a lot of problems with my toes cramping up and it was due to potassium depletion after a workout (sweating a lot), so bananas really helped prevent my crams.

i heard to burn more fat, dont eat anything before. i usually have plenty of energy to get a great workout.
any truth to that?

If I've eaten a meal in the past 2 to 3 hours, I don't have a pre-workout snack. Otherwise, a few dates is my favorite pre-workout snack.

bha i don't have a favorite snack before starting my workout,because i eat a big lunch so i don't need other snack...:)

bha i don't have a favorite snack before starting my workout,because i eat a big lunch so i don't need other snack...:)

I think it depends on what type of workout you're doing. If you're running, you need some carbs to keep your energy up. I used to go for the runs on an empty stomach, and then took the advice from Runners World and started to have a light high-carb snack. It really does make me able to run harder and longer... which means I'm burning more calories.

I don't snack before lifting.

Yum!!

I agree - bananas are great as a post workout snack. I used to have a lot of problems with my toes cramping up and it was due to potassium depletion after a workout (sweating a lot), so bananas really helped prevent my crams.

Yeah, me too. I know I don't get enough potassium, so bananas are a favorite. I'm starting to throw some raisins in my oatmeal and on my salads too.

I usually have a pre-workout smoothie: easy to digest, and provides me with electrolytes, fluids and other nutrients.
My typical one is coconut water, goji berries, chia seeds or chia gel and frozen banana.
Before races (5ks) I usually add a scoop of Vega performance optimizer (to aid in post-workout recovery).

I either do the apple and peanut butter thing (YUMM).. or.. my very favourite (it may be a bit weird).. An orange bell pepper, a teaspoon of peanut butter, a tablespoon of low fat greek yoghurt :) Yummm :)

Afterwards, it's a protein shake for me!

Pre Workout: banana or few bites of some other fruit, not citrus, that comes up on me. If the banana is big, I cut it in half.

Post workout: 1/2 c. organic milk, GF cereal, 1/2 c. plain organic cream on the top yogurt,

or I might make eggs with spinach and cook it in coconut oil. Depends on how famished I am.

I used to do the 'no breakfast' thing, but the hunger pangs would just stop me in my tracks, they just hurt so bad. So, now I do the small snack.

If I am doing a cardio session I do not eat anything before working out. I usually work out in the morning, and I don't have any problems with energy.

However, if I am doing a strength session, I MAY have a banana, depending on how hungry I feel.

After my workout, I juice a lemon, some ginger, celergy, an apple and something green (spinach, cucumber, kale) and drink that right away. Within the hour I try to have my breakfast which can be a smoothy with hemp protein, oatmeal, or eggs and sprouted grain toast.

Sometimes I work out in the morning. I used to not eat anything and I felt fine during the WO, but would crash later. Now I drink a smoothie with a scoop of protein powder, almond milk, berries, and some flax right before a workout. It gives me SO much energy and I feel a lot better during the day.

Melissa,

Thanks for sharing about increased energy by eating before you work out. I am having the same experience - I have no problem getting through my work out and feel fine for most of the morning, but my energy crashes in the afternoon.

I am going to try to get a smoothy in before I work out to see if helps maintain my energy level throughout the day.

Corrie

Preworkout:
If it's cardio, maybe just a bit of whey protein powder and a banana

If it's weights, then usually 1/4 to 1/2 cup oats with 1 -3 egg whites

I'll workout within one to 1.5 hours of eating. I find the oats help me feel full and energized even after weight training.

Post workout: Whey protein and watermelon, greek yogurt and fruit and/or cottage cheese with fruit.

I usually do my cardio in the am and weights in the pm and I work my 5-6 meals into pre workout and post workout meals. I think everyone has their own preference but I eat carbs before my cardio and I still lose wieght. I need the energy!!!
so pre-workout am 2 ww waffles, 1 tbsp nut butter maybe 1/4 c serving of fruit
post workout am protein shake w/ almond milk, 1tbsp flax oil, 1/4 c fruit
pre-workout pm greek yogurt 1/4 c of kashi cereal, 1 tbsp honey
post-workout pm is usually my last meal of protein and veggies, and some fat

My a.m. cardio is fasted. I drink a protein shake afterwards.

When I weight train, I eat 1 slice of Ezekiel Raisin Cinnamon bread with 1 tbsp. Smartbalance PB. Then afterwards I have a protein shake.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.