Ever get Lonely?

I don't know ONE person who does home workouts. And yes, I get so tired of the assumtion that home workouts are all Jane fonda, belts around the leatard, wimpy workouts. I have gotten to the point where I make sure I don't leave my workout tapes/DVDs in plain site when people come to visit. When I gave birth to my 3rd child and my best friend came to babysit, she had to go into the back room in my house to get some paper towels and saw my stash of videos/DVDs and later told me she did not realize how into them I was. But the cool thing is that she was not patronizing. She thought I was overboard but has not mentioned it since.

Thank goodness my DH is supportive.

So yes, it does get lonely but personally I LOVE working out at home, and I love the freedom. I have 3 kids 6 and under and I am expecting my 4th and if it were not for home workouts I would NEVER be able to get to the gym. My DH works loooong hours and I have no family or babysitters. I love the flexability to be able to workout when i want. So if the kids go to bed at 7pm or 10pm, it does not matter, I can pop in a workout and get started. I have a treadmill and stairmaster and recumbent excercise bike. also, so between those and my cathe stuff and toys I get a better workout than I would at the gym and am able to spend more time at it.

I am chuckling because when I read "ever get lonely" I was saying "yes" but that's because my life BELONGS to my kids and husband and this house and THAT yard and popping in a Cathe DVD is so like visiting a familiar and comfortable friend I have known and loved for so long that an outside workout has to really rock to make me want to sacrifice my Cathe-time. She is so superb and surrounded by such lovely and familiar faces in the background that she is an escape from this mom-exile I endure! And I can't imagine hiding a Cathe workout because anyone who would dare imply that home workouts just can't compare has never had Cathe put them through her paces! I re-joined the new and state of the art YMCA built on our side of town not too long ago (the old one was an aerobics room and 5 Cybex machines), and granted I have opted out temporarily due to foot surgery and recovery but when I did go, I missed my home workouts and felt the Y detracted from my Cathe time and involved more fuss. Can't take this forty year-old body out looking like a disheveled mess when hitting the treadmill next to a well-muscled and well-enduranced twenty year-old. But Cathe never minds. She keeps smiling, keeps encouraging and somehow her workouts far exceed any I can find any place else and while it's great fun to have something like a Y membership to mix things up, it just can't replace what she gives. But if I lived in New Jersey....

Oh, I have to say I NEVER get lonely working out at home. I used to work at a gym and hated it. I would work out at home, then go to work.

My DH is my biggest suppporter and that keeps me happy.:7 He knows every single person on the forum and everyday when he gets home from work he asks me what's new on Cathe. (Hmmm, maybe I should get a life. :+) He just came in the room and said maybe he should.

It was so funny, when Deborah posted her pics on CatheAddicts, he goes, "Oh, so that's Fitness Goddess?"

Even though I have never met anyone on the forum in person, the knowledge, support, and comraderie I feel with everyone on here is truly amazing!:7:D:7:D The forum and Cathe keep me going strong!:7

Sherry http://www.gif-seite.de/vorschaubilder/smilies/laola.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/Peanut7

Liz-
You created a website that can only be seen with Microsoft IE! I'm sure it's not your fault. Microsoft is always doing things like that. But as a Netscape user, I will never see your website, which sounds intriguing. That damn monopolist. x(
-Nancy

amynicole-
sounds like Cathe is a godsend for you. I guess I'm stuck in the office the way you're stuck in the house. By the time I get home, typically 8:00-8:30 p.m., I am so lucky that my DH understands that I want to workout instead of eating dinner right way. We often eat dinner at 9:30 at night. Of course, dinner is always take-out. (My DH is willing to cook, but I wouldn't eat anything he would make! :) ) Thank goodness for Cathe, as once I get home I just don't feel like going back out to the gym or anywhere else!

-Tired and lonely in NYC

Sometimes, rarely. I'm a SAHM with a 3yr old and love the flex of working out at home. My son does like Boot Camp though, he can do terminator climbers better than me. He loves the jumping, of course, and does his version of the ball work, too cute. Maybe I'll be able to talk to him about it someday :)
I do have a gym membership but haven't gone in 3 years. Even when there it was hard to connect with people since they were more into themselves and such.
Traci'

Nancy,
Yes, Cathe is a godsend. Right now I have slowed down- I'm just so fatigued but after the baby is born, I have my arsenol of cathe dvds to kick myself back in shape. In fact, my baby is due in early December and Guess what I am going to tell DH I really really want for Hannukah?? Yup- Her last round of DVDs, plus the new DVDs she is filming this summer.

By the way, I'm your neighbor our on Long Island. I don't make it too NYC as much as I would like but I'm in Brooklyn about once every 6 or 7 weeks because my best friend lives there. When she comes out to viset me she jokes she is going out to the country LOL!

Marci

I see that people are taking this question in two different ways:
1) do you ever get lonely working out by yourself (for me, the answer is "no". When I work out, I don't want to socialize. And there's always the video folks to "keep me company".
2) do you get lonely not having anyone to talk to about video exercise? (this is how I took the question and previously answered it).

Hi, hon ..

Every once in a while, being an at-home exercise is that way. You want to share this exciting thing with someone you love. Then, your hopes are built up and crashed. I have grown to love my solitude and I get kicks out of checking in with this board and one I am on across the tracks. It's like a spiritual connection with everyone ..

Maybe a YMCA once a week would be a thing to try. Or, maybe your friend and you can do a yoga class together once a week. (My best friend and I did that for a while)

Sometimes, it's jus the idea of leaving someone behind (my spouse).

I know I necessarily didn't help, but I do understand!!

Take care!

Cee
"If I don't stop, I have not failed.";)

Hi Nancy!

I'm a Cathe-ite in NYC too!!! Well Brooklyn, but close enough. How exciting to find out there is a teeny tiny little community of "us" right here in the Big Apple :7

I don't really get lonely working out by myself, but I do get lonely not having anyone to discuss Cathe workouts with and that's why I come to this forum. I also get very frustrated with people, who in complete ignorance, look down on any kind of video excercise. I don't know anyone that works out to video's at home.

So happy to have this forum and to have found Cathe workouts!!!

Susan

Hey Marci! My husband grew up in Great Neck and I plucked him out of Wantagh where he was living when we met to come live with me in Brooklyn Heights! Are you in Nassau County?

Hi,
I was thinking about this this morning when I was (what else?) working out to Cathe (a cardio combo from IMax2/C+W, followed by athe abs from ab work from C+W, if you're interested.) Anyway, I was thinking how very strange it is that we choose to work out at home rather than a gym, but we have such missionary zeal about converting others to this solitary habit. What do we have to gain from others doing videos? It is not like we will be working out together with our "convert". I am not writing this in condemnation, mind you. I just find it strange. I mean, I get excited when I meet someone who works out to videos, too.
My husband has watched me do the abs from Cathe's videos and said "That looks tough! I'd like to try a Cathe ab workout." Imagine my surprise when I came home from tennis lessons and he announced that his abs were hurting because he had done the stuff in Cardio and Weights. He has been doing this (ab workout) several times a week now. He does go to a gym, but now does his abs with Cathe. He did say Cathy was trying to kill him the first time he did it.

I'm with you!

A cycling buddy of mine kept trying to get me to go the gym because he didn't think I could possibly be getting good strength training at home. (!!)

Everyone pretty much thinks I'm insane for getting up early (4:30-5) to work out before I go in to work.

:p

-kelli

I fantsize about the day when my life will have the free time to "go to the gym" and my budget can handle it as well. The truth be told, I don't think I would be faithful to exercising if it wasn't for Cathe. Several years ago I worked out consistantly with two friends of mine, but that was before my little PS. Working out with my friends was ideal for me. I am struggling, quite honestly, with the isolation of being a working mom with a two year old. There is very little time for "friends", and I really miss that. Yes, I feel lonely, when I work out at home, but I am very glad for the great resources I have found on this website.

Not me

Here Here Bobbi. I feel the same. I am also a stay-at-home mom and a Cathe workout is the ONLY me time I get in a day. I love the solitude, working off the stress, getting the natural high--alone!

Even before I quit my job and the kids came along, I loved the time alone exercising just for the release. I guess I am bit weird here, but sometimes I pretend that I am in a gym surrounded by people I know (okay I put it out there, yikes, don't laugh). I know that sounds crazy, but it is something of a motivator for me. The last thing I want to do is mess up or quit in front of somebody I want to impress. But goodness knows I do not want people, especially hard-bodied gymheads, to actually see me sweat, my hair going limp, my nose running (and me not caring at the moment), and the other things that happen to my body when I workout hard. I mean think about how the camera presses the Cathe crew to keep going. Remember in MIC, I don't know the name of the young woman to our right behind Cathe. I mean it's obvious the workout is blowing her away. She can barely lift her legs at some points, but she keeps going. The camera pushes her. My imagining I'm in the gym does it for me.

Just my two cents. Okay, I'm feeling a bit vulnerable; somebody tell me you use some form of mental focus to help you workout.

deq

hope-
Be forewarned, few people have both time AND money. I know a few, and I'm very jealous of them. It seems it's usually a trade-off. I don't mind paying for the gym, but I'm so busy working, it's hard to get there. Just wanted you to know that your full fantasy might be hard to achieve. But good luck!:)

I don't get lonely working out - I love the privacy and flexibility of my tapes. But I do hate not being able to discuss a great new workout or an accomplishment with someone - I told my husband the other day about how many from-the-toes pushups I can do now, and he went "oh really? That's nice" with no clear understanding about how hard I worked to get there! I love these forums for that reason - to read about others' trials, tribulations and accomplishments, as well as our enthusiasm about All Things Cathe.

It's funny - when I joined a gym a few years back, I thought I'd make more gym friends - but I found that I hated chatter and socializing during my workouts. I ended up putting on headphones as soon as I walked in the door of the gym, so I could work out without interruption.

And I'm another NYC Cathe-ite, by the way - Brooklyn Heights here!

Allison

Allison-

I live in Brooklyn Heights too! Very glad to meet you. There aren't many New Yorkers on the Cathe forums, let alone from Brooklyn Heights. How long have you lived here? I love this neighborhood and have been here now for almost 10 years. I doubt I'll ever leave!
-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.