Ever get Lonely?

slightly off topic

To all you Brooklynites! I used to live in Brooklyn too, but in Park Slope, boy do I miss it! I loved Brooklyn Heights! The promenade especially. I was in undergrad at NYU at the time, and I was attracted to the brownstones--so beautiful! And when I lived there (now seven years ago; where did the time go) I used to belong to a gym (so I didn't have to schlep it to school in the village) and found the same thing. First off, I would usually be one of two women in the crowd and the rest of the muscleheads would be getting off on their testosterone trip; I rarely spoke to anyone except when I wanted to learn how to use a particular machine. Boy were they eager beavers to show a helpless little lady (well I'm 5'9") how to use a machine. Not that they were unfriendly, just not for me. I wish I had known about Cathe. I had gotten a step and was on Tami Lee Web Buns of Steel 2000 at the time and even at that slow pace, my downstairs neighbors hated it:p Now I am in suburban Maryland doing the SAHM thing: I miss my cosmopolitan life! Do all you Brooklynites have children?

deq

RE: slightly off topic

Hey Deq! Park Slope is such a great neighborhood! My brother lived on President Street for years, right near the park. What's SAHM and why did you move to Maryland? I guess you mean you're a mom now, and it makes sense. A lot of people in my building are trying to raise kids in the city and some are more successful than others. Once they have the second kid they usually move away to the burbs. As for me, my stepson is 25 and lives with his mom in Long Island.

Having lived in a variety of different places, there is something to say for each kind of lifestyle, but no one place has it all. Perhaps its best to just keep moving! :) Maryland is SO beautiful.

-Nancy

Hi-
It really made my day to see the posts about Brooklyn. I'm so far away now, that I don't encounter anyone who even heard of Brooklyn. I grew up living in an apartment in Brooklyn. i lived in Bensonhurst and then moved to Bay Ridge as a young adult. Those years seem like eons ago. We moved to surburban NJ in the late 80's and now i live in San Diego with my husband and children( we moved here in 95).San Diego is beautiful, but ,i will always miss New York.

Can you believe it?? I really kid you not!!!I also get the question Where ARE you from with that accent??? I've also been likened to Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny!!!! I definitely don't take that one as a compliment. Oh well, that's why I still miss the whole NYC area!

Hi Nancy,

I've been in Brooklyn Heights since March 1999, so a bit over four years. It was quite a change after 14 years in Manhattan but I love it now. The Husband and I would only leave this neighborhood for Park Slope - I think we're Brooklynites forever now!

It's great to read all the Brooklyn/NYC chatter on this thread - apologies to everyone else for hijacking it!

Allison

Yes, sorry to all for changing the topic a bit. To Nancy: I am a Stay-At-Home-Mom (SAHM), except that I also just finished grad school and do a lot of freelance work :D Maryland is wonderful. My family is close to me here, but it gets a bit boring and tiring to run into the same old folk over and over again. I loved getting into the taxi with the Indian driver who taught me all the Jewish holidays, and my close friend, the Dominican Jewish young man who gave me the low-down on this dude called Sean "Puffy" Combs who I was clueless about at the time, and the Indian woman from Nigeria who could speak Yoruba and five other languages and my Igbo friend (also Nigerian) who taught me how to properly cook chicken:). And my Haitian friends who taught me dirty words in Creole. Ice skating in Prospect Park (and Central and Rockefeller); the parades on Eastern Parkway! But I digress. Sorry.

I moved to Maryland to be closer to family; my mother was the sole caregiver to my grandmother who had Alzheimer's. Also, I was working as a reporter in NYC and NJ and didn't see a clear path to motherhood working those hours (14-hour days), so I made some sacrifices. I asked if any of you had kids, because I am looking for any excuse to move back now. I know a lot of families leave for Jersey and upstate and CT when the kids come along, but I wanted to hear if others found it doable to raise kids in the city. Can you tell I miss it?

deq

Hey Deq! I sent you a "private message", but I'm not sure what that is. Let me know if you find it. :)
-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.