Dry Hair - What shampoos are good for this

acarolinagurl

Cathlete
I have dry hair and in desparate need of a shampoo and conditioner especially for this, that actually works and will leave my hair shinny and soft. I use Biolage Shampoo and Conditioner/hydrating. Just a few things to add that I think is causing the dryness, is 1. Well water, it's hard and has a lot of minerals in it. 2. I'm in peri-menapause, with a thyroid that is borderline "hypo". 3. We have gas heat that also heats our water, so I know that's not good for not only my hair but my skin as well. One more thing, I rarely use a straightening iron, and I do have color in my hair (low light's), but I'm overdue on having them touched up, due to I've noticed that that makes my hair tangled really bad when I wash it. :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Sandy

My hair dresser used a type of oil on my hair that was suppose to fix dryness and it didn't make it greasy at all. I can't remember what it's called but I'm sure there are other types of oils on the market that do the same thing.

Another suggestion would be to not shampoo as often in the winter. Since stretching my shampoos to twice a week my hair feels and looks better. Here's a link to a long hair community web site that would have tons of suggestions for dry hair.

www.forums.longhaircommunity.com

My hair dresser used a type of oil on my hair that was suppose to fix dryness and it didn't make it greasy at all. I can't remember what it's called but I'm sure there are other types of oils on the market that do the same thing.

Another suggestion would be to not shampoo as often in the winter. Since stretching my shampoos to twice a week my hair feels and looks better. Here's a link to a long hair community web site that would have tons of suggestions for dry hair.

www.forums.longhaircommunity.com

Moroccan Oil maybe? Good stuff, but kind of pricey.

I only shampoo once or twice a week too. I condition every day, but go easy on the shampoo. The one thing you want to avoid in shampoos are sulfates. Sodium laurel & sodium laureth are very drying to the hair. Loreal makes a nice, reasonably priced sulfate free shampoo.

Also try to avoid conditioners with silicones in them (when you read the ingredients, it's basically anything that ends with "cone"--dimethicone, amidimethicone, etc.). While cones can protect your hair from damage, they also leave a residue, which means you have to clarify at least once a week, which means you need to use a shampoo with sulfates.

You guys would laugh at me when I'm conditioner shopping. It takes me at least 30 minutes to buy a single bottle of conditioner b/c I have to read the ingredients on every single bottle until I find one without any cones. :p

Oh, I forgot to add--I also deep condition every Sunday with heat. Heat is important for deep conditioning b/c it opens up the hair follicle & allows the moisture to penetrate better. I actually use ethnic products for deep conditioning. Again, avoid the cones. I slather my hair with a deep conditioner, wrap it in a turban towel, then wear this type of heat cap for 30 minutes:
http://www.treasuredlocks.com/prcoheca.html

Last edited:
I wash my hair only every 2-3 days (adjust on how oily your hair gets), but I try my best not to do anything to dirty my hair in between hair washings (I'm very careful on what touches my hair during this time, and wait to do dirty housework on days that I wash my hair). I use shampoo + conditioner (I use Head and Shoulders), then condition with Pantene. I used to be able to wash my hair everyday, but since I dyed my hair so many times when I was a teen, I've had to do the above (I've also hypothyroid for 18yrs).

I think it really helps to shampoo less. I shampoo about every third day. Also, I've not tried this yet myself, but I've heard that sleeping on silk pillow cases is really good for your hair and your skin as well. As far as products, I've been using Bumble and Bumble, which seems pretty good. I think I've got some paul mitchell shampoo (a big liter bottle which I've had forever since I shampoo only twice or so a week).

I have just recently started shampooing every other day. My hair gets oily quickly so I just condition on the non wash days. My hair has been less frizzy and dry, a lot softer, and silky. I use http://yestocarrots.com/ shampoo and conditioner. I really love it.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it. I'm going to try some of these suggestions and see how it does with my hair! :)

Oh, I wish I could shampoo every other day, but I work out to a sweaty mess 5-6 days a week.....so that will not work for me.

I also have well water, but also have a water softner.....I highly recommend one if you do not have one. It will make the soap in your washer, shower, dishwasher, etc. go much farther than it would with regular water. Plus, you don't have to worry nearly as much about rust rings in the toilet, sink, etc. If you are not used to soft water, at first you will think the water feels 'slimy' but you will get used to it and then you really miss it when you stay somewhere else and no longer have the soft water. It makes a huge difference in making your hair and skin softer.

I also use Tressemme` Restore leave in conditioning cream when my hair feels dry. It is a leave in conditioner that you can use after your shower and is basically a lotion for your hair. Works great for me.

HTH!

hi,

I have color treated fine hair that has quite a bit of body and curl like the curly haired actress on CSI NYC. I shampoo my hair once a week. My hair can be on the dry side but my scalp borders on the semi oily side. I water rinse my hair every other day but massaging as if shampooing while just rinsing with water only. On the other day I co-wash it using Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner or White Rain Naturals conditioners. I work the conditioner in like a shampoo really massaging the scalp good with pads of fingers then rinse good and then a final cool rinse. I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner as a leave in. Naturally curly hair tends to be very dry and needs a lot of conditioner to help with frizzies and fly aways. I shampoo once a week with Burt's Bee's Voluminizing Pomegrante and Soy shampoo and conditioner that's the one time a week I actually use a shampoo on my hair. Since I started being a modified shampoo less routine my hair is curlier and shinier and much more healthy looking than it was before. The key is to avoid shampooing too much it really strips the hair and the ingredients in the shampoo itself. I avoid using any and all shampoo's that contain Sodium Laurly Sulfates these are very bad and stripping to the hair, also avoiding things that build up such as anything with silicones. I found out about this method of going poo-less or modified (being 1 once a week in my case) at www.naturallycurly.com you can find out more there.

Good luck!;)

Nora

1) Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, I cannot work out every day. However, that is great for my hair! I only shampoo after VERY sweaty workouts (every 2-4 days).

2) I use shampoo bars from Basin. (available online) There are lots of choices of shampoo bars, some specifically for dry hair. I have tried most of the bars and they are ALL GREAT! They contain absolutely no harsh or drying chemicals so no conditioner is needed (which only makes your hair dirtier faster and requires shampooing more frequently)

3) I do not use conditioner (again, which only serves to attrack dirt and make your hair dirtier, faster--requiring more frequent shampooing)

4) I occasionally (every 2-3 months) have dandruff. When I do, I only use Head and Shoulders Dandruff Shampoo for Dry Scalp. I also use the matching conditioner. (The only time I use a conditioner)

I have long hair and it is in fabulous condition. People (including hairdressers) are always asking me how I keep my hair in such great shape. BASIN SHAMPOO BARS and less shampooing!

Hope this helps!

2) I use shampoo bars from Basin. (available online) There are lots of choices of shampoo bars, some specifically for dry hair. I have tried most of the bars and they are ALL GREAT! They contain absolutely no harsh or drying chemicals so no conditioner is needed (which only makes your hair dirtier faster and requires shampooing more frequently)

Hope this helps!

This sounds like a perfect solution for me on group rides when we camp. A small bar of soap instead of a bottle of shampoo and conditioner, this is a great idea...just add lake water! Thank you!

Oh, I wish I could shampoo every other day, but I work out to a sweaty mess 5-6 days a week.....so that will not work for me.

This is me too! I don't see how anybody who works out can skip a day of shampooing. My hair is a sweaty, icky mess every day from running and working out.

I would have to say that the suggestion to not wash as much is priority #1 for you. That is THE best advice even if you sweat everyday.

Also, IMO, it does not matter what particular brand of shampoo/conditioner you use. This is when you want a deep conditioning treatment (should be described as 'moisturizing') once a week. Every week I sleep with a deep treatment in my hair and I never have dry hair. Moroccan Oil is awesome too. Sometimes I even mix some honey into my deep treatments. Makes the hair feel like silk when you wash it out. Don't get caught up on brands or the non-sulphate debate. If you put product in your hair, you need a strong (sulphate) shampoo to wash it out. There could even be a possibility that you need to clarify your hair due to product buildup.

Several people have mentioned Morrocan oil. The chief ingredient in it is argan oil (and Morrocan oil products seem to contain silicones, which some say to avoid). You might try just using plain argan oil. www.makeupartistschoice.com has a good price on it (it can be 2-3x more expensive elsewhere).

The Morrocan oil is supposed to be great. Another product I LOVE is Wen, it is advertised on tv, it is fantastic, it is a cleansing conditioner, so you don't use shampoo with it at all. They have it on QVC, if you order from the wen site, you will sign up for one of those annoying clubs that sends you a kit every few months, IMO you don't need all the other little products so much, just the Wen cleansing conditioner.

Several people have mentioned Morrocan oil. The chief ingredient in it is argan oil (and Morrocan oil products seem to contain silicones, which some say to avoid). You might try just using plain argan oil. www.makeupartistschoice.com has a good price on it (it can be 2-3x more expensive elsewhere).

You are correct Kathryn: Morrocan oil does contain silicones. Some hair types like silicones, others not so much. Silicones can actually make some hair more dry and prone to breakage. I find Moroccan oil is better as a styling product as opposed to a conditioning oil.

I have really long, thick hair and i use coconut oil to condition it. I sometimes use it as a deep conditioning treatment and I also use a little bit to tame frizz and flaways. It's not very expensive and a jar lasts a long time.

I have also used the Ojon hair treatment. Considering the price, it didn't really do anything better than the coconut oil to justify the $$$.

I don't wash my hair every day either.

You are correct Kathryn: Morrocan oil does contain silicones. Some hair types like silicones, others not so much. Silicones can actually make some hair more dry and prone to breakage. I find Moroccan oil is better as a styling product as opposed to a conditioning oil.

I have really long, thick hair and i use coconut oil to condition it. I sometimes use it as a deep conditioning treatment and I also use a little bit to tame frizz and flaways. It's not very expensive and a jar lasts a long time.

I have also used the Ojon hair treatment. Considering the price, it didn't really do anything better than the coconut oil to justify the $$$.

I don't wash my hair every day either.

So, do you keep coconut oil in the shower and use it after shampooing???

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.