deodorant before a workout?

lala1

Cathlete
The other day DD20 was getting ready for a run with a friend and was putting on deodorant or antiperspirant before hand. I said that it seemed kind of a waste because wasn't she just gonna come back and shower? Her response: "I don't want to smell while I'm running and I think most people do" Well, I think most people don't, so she suggested I ask my Catheites:

Do you use either deodorant or antiperspirant BEFORE you exercise????

I don't use deoderant before working out but that's only because I get up and exercise first thing in the morning at home alone. If I were going outside or to the gym I would definitely use it since I'd be around other people.

I do.:)
When I had a gym membership it was easy to know who didn't use.
My favorite aerobic instructor used some kind of organic rock underarm deodorant that did not work. No one wanted to workout in the front of the class because she had the strongest body odor. :(A few of the women wanted to politely tell her that organic rock stuff was not working. :eek::eek::eek: What do you do? Anyway, yes I use deodorant.

I would if I was going to be around others. Usually am by myself so I don't.

Used to when I played volleyball and hockey. (Course even when I'd shower and put on deodorant before hockey I still stunk afterwards. Not as bad though ! :rolleyes:)

I don't unless its already on. The days I workout in the morning, I don't and I hop in the shower when I'm done. The days I workout in the eve, its already on, and I hop in the shower when I'm done. I workout by myself, and I don't smell me. If I was to go to the gym, I probably would. Also, sweat itself is sterile and fairly odorless (unless you have a med condition). It doesn't start to get a funk until it combines with other things. So chances are, even after a sweatfest workout, you aren't gonna stink. Sweaty, yes, smelly no.

Nan

Like most everyone else I would if I went to a gym or somewhere around other people. At home I don't but sometimes halfway through my work out I get I whiff of myself and wish I did.:eek:

Ever tried working out in a gym next to someone who isn't wearing deodorant??? Used to play volleyball with a girl who NEVER wore deodorant during a game. I don't care if she was getting a shower the minute she left the court, standing near her was agony and I was tempted to gift her with a stick of Ban. ;) Even working out by myself, I don't want to smell myself the whole time so I definitely wear deodorant. My DH would not be happy if he went down to do laundry and the whole basement smelled like my BO. ;)

I do.:)
: What do you do?

I conveniently didn't say ;) anyway, I workout first thing in the am during the school year (I teach) so don't put it on. I generally workout at home, so even later on (like in the summer), I'm the only one around me ;) but when I go to the gym I usually have it on from the morning, but after reading the comments, may have to reconsider and put extra on!

Thanks for the comments, I now have to tell DD that she was right!

I conveniently didn't say ;) anyway, I workout first thing in the am during the school year (I teach) so don't put it on. I generally workout at home, so even later on (like in the summer), I'm the only one around me ;) but when I go to the gym I usually have it on from the morning, but after reading the comments, may have to reconsider and put extra on!

Thanks for the comments, I now have to tell DD that she was right!

Well some people are just stinkier than others and need deodorant more. ;) My DH is one of those people who can work out without it and not really smell. I'm just not unfortunately. ;)

Before, sometimes during (as I am thinkin' did I put on my deodrant), and after. And forget the women's deodrant, it is men's deodrant due to hormones. Sometimes I perspire so bad in the morning, it is dripping from my arm pits.

Interesting question! SOmething I have never given any thought to until now. Since I wo first thing in the morning at home, alone the answer is NO. Jump right in the hsower afterwards so it's all good.

Does anyone else find that if your apply deoderant just before you workout,
your fancy and expensive $$ technical shirts don't wash as well?:confused:
I wash all of my gym/workout clothes in a special technical fabric detergent with no fabric softner so they will last longer. I find if I apply deoderant right before I workout, it stays in the fabric and clogs the wicking action in the material. Thus, I apply deo about 1-2 hours pre workout.
I sure hope I don't smell :eek:

Does anyone else find that if your apply deoderant just before you workout,
your fancy and expensive $$ technical shirts don't wash as well?:confused:
I wash all of my gym/workout clothes in a special technical fabric detergent with no fabric softner so they will last longer. I find if I apply deoderant right before I workout, it stays in the fabric and clogs the wicking action in the material. Thus, I apply deo about 1-2 hours pre workout.
I sure hope I don't smell :eek:

DH and I both spray the armpits of our shirts with Shout prior to washing. It really cuts through the deodorant that normal detergent doesn't touch.

Whether I am working out or not, I perspire a lot under my arms. The only deodorant that works for me is Secret Clinical Strength and I put it on before a workout, even if it is first thing in the morning. If I didn't, I would have armpit sweat dripping down my arms which grosses me out. I love a good sweat, hence the reason I workout with Cathe, but not the kind that drips from the pit, blech!:p

Kristin

Not me. I workout first thing in the morning when everyone else is still sleeping then it is straight to the shower. I guess our cat (my workout buddy) might appreciate it though :p

I do when I go to the gym. And I get stinky even with it. :eek:

Of course, the problem is compounded by those little deoderant flecks that come off when you're doing overhead tricep extensions or something.

I use Secret Clinical and I LOVE it! I have no issues after a workout, in fact, a couple people have wanted to smell me after a workout just to make sure their investment is justified, lol turned quite a few gals onto it. I have also saved a little at the end of my containers and given it out to try. For me this is the only deodorant that works and they have the waterproof now too.

DH and I both spray the armpits of our shirts with Shout prior to washing. It really cuts through the deodorant that normal detergent doesn't touch.

What a great idea. I'll have to try that. When I workout by myself 1st thing in a.m, I don't use it; in the p.m. when DH & I go walking; it's already on & on Saturdays when we do our long walks, I put it on before, otherwise I get stinky & dripping sweat.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.