Damage Control

Well I've been keeping up with my workouts. Today was a long leg workout, my buns are on fire. It was a toughie.

Not sure if you've heard, but we had terrible fires yesterday where neighborhoods have literally burned to the ground, completely destroyed. There were 2 fires, it sounds like they were both due to downed power lines caused by strong winds up to 115 miles per hour. The devastation is unimaginable.

We are in the middle of a long awaited snow, but the roads are pretty nasty. We are just staying in and watching a movie. Do you have any NYE plans?

ttyl

Hi! Happy New Year! We had a low key evening-I made some crab cakes and Dan built a fire and watched football.

I have seen fires on TV in CO. So scary. The weather is causing so much damage-due to the humans, of course. Do you think that's the biggest news story of the year? I've been watching a lot of CSPAN and that is there question all week.

Not much going on here. I had 490 sessions of movement-walks or actual workouts the past year. New goal is 500! Today is a walk at a local state park at 1PM. It's a short 1.5 mile, but it's more about the company than the walk. I also plan to do legs today.

The past week I broke out IMAX 4 and did it twice. It is so fun and is all low impact. Have you tried it?

Making a batch of egg rolls for our dinner tonight. Any leftover filling gets turned into egg roll in a bowl with tofu. Starting a tradition without pork!

So nice to have a long weekend! I can really understand why Dave wants to retire. I am thinking about it all the time myself! My provider is having another baby and is due in June-might be a good time for me to leave and find something part time. We'll see-it took me years to leave my last job....

Carry on and know I'm in your corner and wish you well!

Beth

Today I did RWH Back, Shoulders, Biceps and abs #2. I thought you mentioned you wanted to do this weight series. I'm going to stick with it for January and mix in some of the circuits I like.

I have not done Imax 4 yet. Stepping hurts my knee. I may give it a try this week with just one riser and see how that goes. Imax 3 is my favorite though,

Not much going on around here today. Cleaning, purging and posting a few things for sale. Trying to clean out my office closet so DH can remove the wire rack and patch the walls before the closet installation. The install isn't until February 11th, but I don't want him waiting on me. We'll also have to empty out the girls' closet also.

DH tried out our new snow blower yesterday. He said it was better than shoveling but doesn't get down to the pavement like a shovel does.

I'll have to add up all my sessions. I think I did add up all the day's I worked out, but some of them were double workouts.

Enjoy the day!!

OMG! I started January yesterday with RWH B/S/B. Today was RWH Legs-I did low impact for the contrast training. My plan is a solid hour of weights every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. With the rests I take the RWH workouts end up being longer. I also did the 4 round premix yesterday and did the first set a little light and the last with as heavy as I could go for as many reps as I got-so I don't get 12 every time. I matched Cathe on the leg weights today, but paused and went slower for the 24 reps of squats each time. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are not planned-if I feel like a short cardio, kickbox, or walk I'll do that after work. If not-so be it. I did get a walk in on Saturday and Sunday so that was good.

I've also decided not to drink alcohol except for a glass of wine when we play cards on Wednesday nights and maybe on Friday or Saturday nights. I am hoping the cut back will help me lose the weight I've gained in my abdomen. We'll see. Drinking seems like just a bad habit right now and I want to get it back to just a social thing instead of every night with dinner. So far so good...but it's only been one day!

You guys got a ton of snow! I hope the weather calms down for you.

Nice to be doing the same series for a month!

Beth

Today I did RWH legs and abs#1 and added the stretch on at the end. I wish the stretch was included in the premixes with the abs. I don't have to take too many breaks in the upper body workouts, but this lower body one always kicks my butt. I tend to need a little more time to catch my breath after some of the cardio segments before hitting the weights again.

I sold a tv/microwave stand today. It's so nice to get rid of all the extra furniture we have. I'm looking to see if anyone is accepting furniture donation for the fire victims.

I'm cleaning out the office closet and it is a much bigger job than I anticipated. I hope to finish today since I have to work tomorrow and can barely get through my office right now.

My goal for this year is to live intentionally. I sit around way too much and play games on my computer or watch tv when I could be much more productive. This is also the year to get rid of the menopause weight gain. My weight has stabilized which is good but I'm about 30lbs from where I should be and 20lbs from where I feel comfortable.

ttyl

How was your week? I got in RWH C/S/T on Tuesday and B/S/B on Thursday. Monday was a really short walk after work and that's been it. I'm hoping to do a walk Sat and Sun along with Legs and Chest again, but it's really cold here. Maybe I'll go to the pool? I got my swim cap in the mail to help keep my hair dry. I'd rather go Monday night though so will see how I feel later.

Not drinking has helped me sleep better, I think. I started thinking of alcohol like it was poisoning my body. Warped-but it helps me avoid donuts so I thought I'd give it a try!

My provider is pregnant again and due in June. That means I'll be flipped all over the office-not looking forward to that and am already getting anxiety about it.

What are you doing this weekend? The Instagram account I follow says the four ways not to be hungry all the time are: eat protein at every meal, eat fiber at every meal, enjoy voluminous foods (veggies), and eat some fat. I feel like I do pretty good at those except the protein at breakfast. This weekend I'm going to do all 4 and see how I feel.

Beth

I've been very tired this week. It was a struggle getting up in the morning for work. Probably just from having so much time off. I did workout Saturday through Wednesday. Today will be a cardio and legs today. I did CST/abs2 on Wednesday morning and yoga relax that evening. My body gets very tight with a lot of lifting. Adding yoga at this point in my life is probably long overdue, but I really want to get to a point where it's enjoyable.

Later today the girls and I will be heading out to exchange some jeans for them and getting groceries.

Do you mind sharing who you follow on Instagram? I'm going back to the program I was looking at before. You can read more about if you like at https://www.themetabolismcoach.com/. I'll let you know how it goes. I've been fasting until noon on most days and that has become very easy and customary now. I've probably had 4 glasses of wine total since October. It's not helping me reach my goals, but it also has not made a difference in my weight either. With the cold weather, we've been having things like chili, stew and a very yummy shredded mexican chicken stew.

I did take my weight and measurements last weekend and will see how I progress.

Have a great weekend.

Read the article, give ourselves grace. The common thread in much of menopause reading is to walk. We don't need all the hardcore workouts that cause cortisol to rise and increase belly fat. It's too cold here to walk right now. I do enjoy walking in the summer though. I think we are just used to structured workouts that walking doesn't seem like much.

I've been doing yoga most evenings. I really like yoga max and yoga relax. I did the Perfect 30 Agility and it wasn't my favorite. It went a little too fast for me. I started the ab work but ended up with a bout of vertigo from laying flat on my back so I stopped there. The vertigo is occurring less, but it is not gone.

I'm adding in a lower body challenge from another platform. It's to tone and shape the lower body. It's 2 workouts a week. My legs are definitely sore after these workouts and the RWH legs too. It's a trouble area for me so giving it some extra focus this month and next month. I make sure to have 2 between the lower body workouts. This works nice so I can add in some cardio. Tomorrow will be CST and abs.

I have a massage on Friday and I'm so looking forward to it. It will be my last one since I cancelled my membership.

ttyl

Well my week went to hell. I got no workouts in and need to get motivated! Today is RWH Legs and tomorrow I'm going to do the 4 set premix for Chest and the 4 set for Back. It's getting harder and harder after work to find momentum to work out. It's too cold in the mornings and I'm tired at night. Frustrated.

How was your massage?! I can't even remember my last one. I hope your vertigo subsides. What time do you do your structured workout? Before work, after, before yoga?

What is going on this weekend? We're watching sports a lot-DH is back into US football and says it's a big weekend for it. I've been doing some meal prep-made a big batch of apple salad and a batch of rice pudding so far. I have to do my wash and plan on reading a bit. So not a real exciting weekend! It's pretty cold here, but I did take a quick 15 minute walk after breakfast and might go again after lunch.

Hope you have a good weekend!

Beth

Yesterday I did RWH legs with the abs mixed in. I'm not doing that premix again. I had to stop so many times to catch my breath it just wasn't worth it. I thought it would be fine since I could catch my breath during the ab work, but that only worked for the first few ab exercises. I just need more recovery time after the cardio segments. It's so much better doing the abs and then the stretch at the end.

I normally do my workouts in the morning sometime between 8 and 11am. I start work around 6:15 to 6:30 am and just fit in where I can. I've been pushing my start work time earlier with the hopes of working out before I start work, but that hasn't happened yet. I've been doing the yoga or stretching in the evening sometime between 7 and 9pm. It's nice to be all stretched out and relaxed before going to bed.

I really enjoyed the massage yesterday. It really helps with the neck/shoulder tightness I continually have. I will miss my membership for sure. It was really nice having a monthly facial or massage. We just moved too far away. It was only 5-10 minutes from my old house. Now it can be 45 min to an hour and it just doesn't seem worth it. It is the closest one to my house. There is a different spa with membership not too far from my house. I may give them a try in a month or so and see what I think before signing. One of the other reasons for cancelling my membership is to eliminate monthly expenses in preparation for DH retiring.

Today is BSB and a short hiit cardio. I may do one of the RWH cardio segments. Either today or tomorrow I will head to Costco for a few things.

ttyl

How was your week? I ended up doing Low Impact Lower Body on Wednesday after work-and only because I was able to flex off at 3 since I stayed until 7 on Monday night. Tuesday night was book club, so I did not work out-even though it was on Zoom. I need to spend some time with Dan!

I have been reading this book called Atomic Habits by James Clear. It's how to add good habits and take away ones that don't work for you. So I have now been getting up at 5 (since Thursday). I get up and work out and am done by 6:30, shower, then go to work. I don't love it-but I love being done my workout and not worrying about getting it in all day! This morning I did RWH CST and was done by 6:05. So I'm happy I worked out and am done! Of course, if it wasn't -13 I might be able to walk today! I'm not going to do another exercise session-but might do some cleaning if I get restless. I used to do this schedule when the kids were little-get up early and get it done since after work/school was homework, dinner, baths, etc. I just need more consistency with workouts. Friday I did a Live-Kickbox, HiiT, and Core (all low impact). This weekend is RWH Upper body. I am going to focus on weights for the most part with a cardio thrown in when I need a rest from weights.

So that's where I'm at. I'm even ok if I gain some pounds and hope it's from the weight lifting!

This weekend looks like soccer, football, wash, cook, read, and relax. COVID is still high here so am laying low.

Have a good one!

Beth

Hey Beth, I had a busy week too. I'm sticking with RWH for weights along with the lower body focus as well. I did not workout yesterday. I had to work Thursday night and just didn't have the energy yesterday to workout. The night work is really tough for me. I'm really feeling my age lately too. My hips have been really bothering me lately too. Probably arthritis, not sure though.

Today is lower body weights and just cleaning around the house and some laundry. The cold weather is a drag for sure. I may put on my cold weather running gear and walk around the lakes. I could use the natural sunlight. My body definitely requires more cardio, but I'm going to stick with the weights for January and probably February. I am getting at least 2 cardio/circuit sessions per week and plan on continuing with that for now.

I use to work out at 5:30am when I worked in an office and had a long commute. It was the only time I could get it done. I've been starting work between 6-6:30, just to get used to getting up earlier. My problem is I don't go to bed early enough. On Thursday, I started at 6am and didn't finish until 10:30pm and all those hours just take a lot out of me. Then being back on line for a mandatory daily meeting at 7am is a real struggle. If I didn't have to work so many nights, the early am workouts would be great.

Keep warm and enjoy the weekend!

I did yoga relax last night, I really like doing this one before bed. I'm nice and relaxed.

Today I did RWH legs and I may try do yoga max tonight. I came across this dynamic stretching site called essentrics. https://essentrics.com/ It looks like something I might be interested in. It's more movement stretching than the static holds of yoga.

Happy Monday.

So glad you are getting lots of yoga in. Your job is so stressful. I used to think working from home was nice, but you are really putting in long days. I'm keeping up with the weights, but I'm not doing RWH legs any more-just the upper body ones. My back was starting to hurt around my SI joint and I don't have the insurance to go back to my PT guy. So I did Perfect 30 legs on the weekend and then Cross Train Express today. I don't care for either of the 30 workouts-too many exercises and only 1 set of each. But who knows-I may be up for that in 10 years! I'm enjoying the DVDs again now because they are solid and I can pause whenever I want.

The Essentrics website looks so nice! Are you going to join? What a great way to unwind at night.

Have a good week!

Beth

Well today my workout was shovelmax! I did use our new snowblower today, but it is kind of wimpy IMO and it clogged. Then I started shoveling instead. DH came out and got it unclogged and used it some. Tomorrow will be either BSB or a cardio/circuit. I can't decide.

Yes, I do work long hours. It's 8pm and I'm just finishing working. I do have Friday off though and I'm looking forward to that.

Let's see, I've done BSB, CST, Legs and cardio this week. Today I did a cardio circuit, mostly body weight exercises. I think tomorrow is CST. I have some shopping I need to take care of filing etc. Nothing exciting.

How was your week? Are you having a good weekend?

bbl

Last edited:
Hi. I've been doing weight workouts, but getting up at 5 was not happening today. I slept in until 7. I've been doing an upper body then a lower body and just repeating with changing up the chest and back dvd. Legs have been Stacked Supersets and PLB the past few times. I'm good and sore today! Plan on chest at some point today.

My week was typical-work, played cards on Wednesday night, worked out in the mornings. I really like getting that accomplished before work and since I don't sleep well anyway getting up during the week is easier.

This weekend is a lot like last weekend-super cold and windy here and I haven't been out of the house! DH is going grocery shopping this morning and I will make a soup of some sort later for dinner. I'm reading "In the Woods" by Tana French-crime novel set in Dublin area. It's really good and I hate to finish it.

Beth

Last edited:
How is your week? DH found out Monday he's having surgery on his hernia next Thursday. It will be laparoscopic and involves mesh. That will give him a month to recover before our trip to Pittsburgh. I took today off completely for rest. I still got up early, just did some stretching and relaxed. DS2 called me at 9 last night so I didn't get to sleep until 11.

Don't work too hard!

Beth

I had a very stressful work week. I did not do any official workouts at all. I did shovel snow 2 afternoons though. It honestly was just nice to get outside and get some fresh air and sunlight. I'm sick of the snow and cold.

There were 2 accounts opened in my name that I didn't open. I spent many hours on the phone trying to get those off my credit report and closed.

I just plan on cleaning around the house and maybe going to Kohl's. The new closets will be installed next Friday. I'll be boxing up the rest of the stuff in my closet and cleaning out the girls' closet today or tomorrow. These 2 bedrooms are just so tiny, these closets will make a big difference.

Our taxes are done but I'm waiting a few days just to make sure we don't get anything in the mail that needs to be reported. I think I have everything but just want to be sure. We owe, but not as bad as I was expecting. I think the new standard deduction is helping us.

I hurt my neck this morning literally getting out of bed. I iced it a bit this morning and its feeling a bit better. I may try to work out a bit later, even it's just using the elliptical.

DH is talking about retiring the end of June and I am so stressed out about it. He will be meeting with PERA to get his final numbers. I'll probably feel better once I know exactly what he monthly payment will be.

Glad you got to talk to DS2. I'm sure it was so nice catching up with him. Do you have any plans this weekend?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.