Damage Control

Well I went from Covid to vertigo. DH had to come home from work on Thursday to take me to urgent care. I was so sick and am still not feeling very good. They think is due to inflammation in the inner ear. I was given some steroids and anti-dizziness/anti nausea meds. They make me feel drugged and sleepy. They said this is common in folks who had the sinus pain pressure experience of Covid. I can at least walk about the house a bit but no bending over. I've been house bound for 3 weeks. The weather is so nice this week too and I'm missing out. I can't even walk down the block to the mailbox at this point. I feel so weak and lethargic. Not something I'm used to feeling.

DH is still struggling with his covid recovery. Still very exhausted and coughing a lot still. I just want us all to feel better.

The new series sounds right up my ally. I love meso 2 and 3 the best. I didn't see an official announcement from Cathe yet.

My SIL is hosting Thanksgiving at her house. She's keeping it just to her family, my family and her husbands siblings and there families. It's still about 25 to 35 people. She is requiring vaccinations or negative test. With us just having it and her son in law just getting it, she feels its necessary to go this route. DH thinks we may want to skip it this year, and I'm starting to agree with him.

Well, that sounds like a scary dream. Does DS1 have any friends? My youngest is very introverted. He does participate in all family events and gets along with all his cousins. I understand your concern. My niece is also very introverted and my sister worries a lot about her too. She prefers to hang out with her Mom and doesn't have any real friends.

Try not to stress about the Holidays. It's just not worth it. I just go with the flow and that makes things a lot easier on me. I also get DH to do most of the Christmas stuff for our family, and I do the work for my side of the family and his side too-where we just exchange names.

bbl

How's your week been? Must be pretty busy since you haven't popped in. I'm finally feeling a bit better. I managed to walk down the block to the mail box today. I'm not a 100% yet and still have episodes of vertigo that cause sickness etc. They are becoming fewer though so I must be on the mend.

I may try a workout tomorrow, something not too taxing.

TGIF!!

Sorry. It's been a busy week. Work is kicking my butt. Our positivity rate is 12% in the area so it's non stop covid questions, testings, letters, cleaning, phone calls...I'm pretty tired by the end of the day. I'm in a funk too with the time change and not being able to walk to and from work. I did get 3 days of walking in by going in the morning and then walking home at lunch and driving back. It's not ideal though. I'd like to be able to just rest during my lunch hour and it's such a nice transition at the end of the day not to have to walk as fast as possible then eat a quick lunch and get back-I feel rushed. So, then my digestive system is off and it's just compounding everything. I have also developed some kind of a tic on my face. I don't know if it's a cranial nerve issue or what. Fortunately it's under the mask at work, but it's a little unnerving to watch it in the mirror. DH has seen it too-I'm not crazy. It's on my right cheek. I don't know if it's like the eye twitches I get when I'm tired?

I'm glad you're starting to recover! Take it easy. Drink lots of fluids and rest, rest, rest if you feel tired. How is your DH? I now know so many people who have covid it's unreal. It's people who are careful and have no idea how they got it. I feel like at some point everyone will have it. I slept in today so have some energy! Planning on a walk and doing back and biceps from Pure Strength. I'm super excited to get some more downloads in the Black Friday sales. I'd also like to get the Perfect 30 weight and Low Impact Imax 4 workout if I can. It's just so hard to check the daily deals every day. I'm not on facebook much.

Have a great, relaxing weekend!

Beth

Our Covid cases are way up there also. Our Governor signed an order to make the booster available to everyone now. As soon as DH and I are feeling better we will be getting the booster. 2 of my nephews now have Covid. DH is still very tired and lethargic. Just working each day is a struggle for him. I'm still dealing with bouts of vertigo. Most of the time I feel okay though. I still have this sensation on the left side of my face and head and turning to left causes severe dizziness. Watching tv or being on the computer can also cause it so I'm limiting screen time. I only plan on walking today and will see how that goes. When I'm feeling better I think I will start with STS. Cardio is kind of out for right now.

I finally sold my old dresser with mirror and got that out of our bedroom. It will be nice when the rest of the spare furniture is out of there. We still have 2 night stands (I would like to use in DS1'a room, but he doesn't want them). We also have DH's chest of drawers and TV/Microwave stand. These are all solid oak and you don't see that much anymore.

Sorry to hear about the facial nerve. Is it painful? How frustrating that must be. The girls mom has trigeminal nueralgia. It is managed with medication right now. The time change is awful. I wish we could do away with it. I'm rarely on FB either. I'll have to watch for the downloads, I only hear about them from you!

ttyl

How is your week going? Saturday I ended up getting my Booster and then recovered from it on Sunday. I was so tired and achy and if it's anything like what you've been going through I'm glad you're vaccinated because it was awful and if you got covid without being vaccinated that would be 10X worse.

I've resigned myself to driving to work and just doing a 30-40 minute weight workout after work 4/5 nights and then doing doubles on the weekends. Wednesday night is card night so that's my rest day. I'm still using Pure Strength with some lower body lives thrown in when I need a change. I did Leg Day Live on Monday which was 45 minutes.

Work is going ok. I'm trying not to worry about what's coming up and just focusing on what's in front of me. It's helping!

I got the best news yesterday-I had a normal Pap for the first time in 4 years. So the HPV infection is cleared for now. What a relief! The nerve thing comes and goes and I think it's from stress.

Beth

The vertigo seems to be subsiding. I'm still very cautious when getting in and out of bed. During the day I'm feeling much better and not having any episodes-for the past day or so.

I actually am feeling like giving a workout a try. Tomorrow is my off Friday and I'm planning on trying a workout. I keep toying with the idea of doing STS, but the pushups in Meso 1 kind of turn me off. I guess I could just fast forward through them. Maybe going through some of the lives would be a good place to start. I need to do something, my muscles are now mush. Not good.

I ordered a juicer that should be here at the end of the month. I'm excited to give it a try. I had one many years ago. I bought a top of the line juicer this time around. I've been trying to eat mostly whole foods since being so sick. My body needs all the good nutrients I can provide. Lately I've been having a smoothie mid morning, some almonds and/or apple/banana for a snack and then a salad for dinner. DH has been cooking up chicken on the grill on the weekends so that's been real nice. I did make chicken enchilada casserole the other day and its always a hit.

I think DH may be working from home again due to the increase in Covid cases in our area. We are having Thanksgiving at my SIL's and she is requesting either being vaccinated or providing a negative Covid test result. She did say one of nieces will not come because of this. It is really taking a toll on family gatherings.

Yay, glad for your good results!!! Must be such a relief. I think your schedule sounds perfect. I wish this pandemic would end.

ttyl

I wasn't feeling well on Friday. Go figure, the first Friday off where I didn't have an appt of some kind. I did start feeling better in the afternoon and walked for 3 miles. Saturday was much better and I did my first official workout since Oct 22nd. It was a 50 minute and it was a struggle for sure. The first half was cardio/wts with 1 min work/10 sec rest, the second was all the weight sections-no cardio. I was really looking forward to the straight weights, but it was much tougher than I anticipated. I definitely needed more than the 10 sec rest between exercises. Not my best performance, but glad I was able to get some exercise in.

Today is a trip to Costco and laundry. Organizing in my office is on the agenda also.

How is your weekend going?

Getting ready to leave tomorrow morning for New Hampshire! Spent the weekend doing wash and cooking up some food for DS1 to have and making fresh cranberry relish for Thanksgiving.

Glad to hear you are easing back into working out. If you are like most folks I have seen, you will continue to have good and not so good days for a while as you recover. Listen to your body!

Did you/are you getting anything from Cathe's black Friday deals? I ended up just getting two DVDs that I've been wanting-the IMAX 4-low impact, and the Perfect 30 Pump-weight dvd. I feel like I have enough lives and other metabolic workouts right now.

Tonight is my last workout with Pure Strength-I'm going to do chest and back since I won't get another weight workout in until next Sunday. Yesterday was legs. We're hoping the weather there is decent and are taking work gloves to rake and clean up her yard before winter. Her daughter and "son-in-law" are driving up fro Rhode Island to help as well. I'm excited since we have not been there in 28 years!

I haven't decided what my next weight series will be. I'm thinking Gym Styles until right after the New Year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Beth

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving at my SIL's. It was a so nice to be able to see everyone. My SIL has a new great nephew, baby Brooks. He is so adorable and has a full head of hair.

I've started working out again but this vertigo is awful. I still cannot lay on my back without triggering dizziness and nausea. I've been doing the epley manuever every morning to see if the inner ear crystals being out of place are causing the issue. It tends to make me feel better some days and worse on others. Today is a worse day. Usually this feeling goes away after a few hours on its own.

The girls wanted to go shopping yesterday, it was a complete nightmare. We went to the outlet mall and it took about 15 minutes to get into the parking lot at about 20 more minutes to find parking. They were able to find a few things. Then I knicked my car on the storage rack in my garage. I haven't even told DH yet. It's not terrible, but it did scratch the paint to bare metal so I think it will need repaired so it doesn't rust. I think someone dinged the back of the car, perhaps a shopping cart or something. It's also not terrible but would like to have it all repaired at the same time if it's not too expensive. Even these superficial blemishes can be costly to repair.

I ended up doing some shopping online yesterday and feel like I'm in a good place for Christmas. I'm letting DH figure out the boys' stuff. We just do stocking stuffers for them and then the trivia for money. I'm going to have DS 1 come up questions for the girls. It should be fun.

My juicer arrived! I'm going to do the 5 day smoothie/juice cleanse starting on Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. It's basically 3 juices an 2 smoothies per day. Or if you are hungrier, the 3rd juice could be a smoothie instead.

When do you get back? Gym Styles is one of my favorite series. I love the bicep work in it a lot.

ttyl

Yum! A fresh juice/smoothie cleanse sounds like a great way to give your digestive system a rest. I basically gained two pounds over the holiday even though I ate one meal Thursday and one on Friday. DH got indigestion from the richness of some of the food. We're getting stuck in our ways, I think. We had a great time seeing family. We raked for two hours Thursday morning and took a 75 minute walk on Friday. Other than that we visited, played games, and relaxed. His sister lives in a lovely house in New Hampshire, but is finding it hard to do things for herself and even to find people to help. That puts a new perspective on aging alone in the woods.

We are shopping just a little for my brother in law and DS2. Other than that we're not exchanging. Have you decorated your new house yet? I will probably get a few things out next weekend.

I tried out Perfect 30 upper body yesterday. I ended up repeating some exercises to make it feel like I got a decent workout. As done it's pretty short but had some new moves that I liked a lot-clutch press comes to mind. I think I'm going to do IMAX 4 tonight after work. I decided that I need more cardio workouts when I can't walk to work so Monday/Friday cardio. Tuesday/Saturday upper body and Thursday/Sunday lower body is my plan for now. It snowed here yesterday so I didn't even get a walk in.

Have a good week and take it easy!

Beth

Today was another good day, no dizziness. I still am afraid to lay flat on my back with my head on the floor. I find if I keep my head up I do okay. I was able to workout yesterday and today. I'm feeling pretty good about getting back on track with my workouts. My weight is another story. I'm trying not to stress too much about it, eat healthy and exercise.

I do have a Dr. appt on Thursday to inject this one stubborn varicose vein and see if we can get it gone. I don't think there is much down time for this.

We put up the tree the other day, but it's not decorated yet. We aren't doing any outside decorations either. I think the girls would like it decorated. I gave all our lights to my niece when she bought her house. I also gave her pre-lit garland-we used it on our stair railing but they use it on their fireplace. I told my son that he can buy what he and the girls want. They are responsible for putting it up and taking it down. We are probably the only house on the block without lights. oy

Oh, I did order a couple dvd's. I don't like the downloads as they do not have the premixes. I guess since I have on demand they just don't appeal to me.

It sounds to me like you had a very busy trip. I'm sure your SIL appreciated all the help. I'm trying to keep the spending to a minimum too.

ttyl

Well today is day 5 of the juice/smoothie cleanse and I'm down 4lbs. I'm sure its all water. Tomorrow will be the official results of this week. I really enjoy the juices with beets. They tend to be a bit sweeter I think. There has only been one juice that I didn't care for and I think it was due to having apple cider vinegar. I drank it though. :) I haven't had any alcohol since mid October, basically since I had Covid.

I had sclerotherapy yesterday and can't workout until Sunday. The Dr. said I could walk and today is a good day for it. Upper 60's. It was sunny and 72 yesterday.

I'm off today and have a lot to do. I've been procrastinating but really need to clean out my office. I'm so looking forward to the closet organizer but it isn't coming until February.

What are you up to?

My week went by fast. Feels like all I do is work! I did get 3 workouts in during the week, was aiming for 4, but too tired by Friday.

Today is my town's Dickens of a Christmas event-all day crafts, people dress up like Victorian's if they want, caroling, food, etc. I'm going to walk through this morning for a bit-with a mask on! I might pick up a couple of apple dumplings and a gift for my provider for xmas if I see something.

Planning on making some soup, watching soccer, working out (doubles?), doing my wash, and watching Yellowstone this weekend. I should decorate...

The juice cleanse sounds healthy and delicious!

Beth

Oh my gosh, I can't believe another week has gone by. This vertigo will not go away. I have little bouts of it from time to time, but mostly manageable. I still cannot lay flat on my back. It is so debilitating. I feel like the ENT I went to didn't really help. He did do a hearing test and look in my ears. He says I have TMJ, but I don't think that is it. I wear my retainer every night so I'm not grinding or clenching my teeth at night. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I did work out a few times this week. Yesterday was legs/cardio. I used my squat rack and heavy weights. I've lost a lot of strength since dealing with the coronavirus making its way through our house in October. I'm hoping to gain it back soon. The problem is my workouts have been so inconsistent. Over the break I will devise a plan for workouts and nutrition. Just winging it isn't working.

DH is off today also. I'm hoping we can run a few errands together.

How is your week going?

Today I did a 20 min cardio session and STS D1. I'm toying with doing STS. I'm may switch it up and do Gym Style series want to give it a go til the end December and then decide. I've been going out Christmas shopping but am not having much luck.

What are you up to?

I will probably have to retire before I would have the time available to do STS! I've done pieces of it on occastion-like the leg sections in STS 3 and a hypertrophy upper body; but do not have the mental and time committement available right now. I only did one week of Slow and Heavy and that was too long. I think the Gym styles are more user friendly-they have good (shorter) premixes if needed. I'm not sure once a week for each body part though is enough for me though. I would rather do each twice and have shorter workouts.

It was a struggle this week to work out-I did it my plan, but didn't feel like it after working all day. Did: cardio monday and friday, upper body sunday and thursday, and lower body saturday and tuesday. So the only day off is Wednesday. I'd rather just do weights, but know I "should" do some cardio for my circulatory system. Work is just getting in the way! I'm basically there from 7:30 to 5:30 every day. Plus I worked the walk in clinic Saturday morning this week-volunteered so all the young ones could go see Santa with their kids.

Am I complaining? I am grateful to have a job and I try to fit in workouts. It's just easier when I can walk to work! I follow this personal trainer on Instigram who promotes doing 4 exercises for a body part, resting 90 seconds to 3 minutes between sets, going as heavy as possible, tracking your progress, and resting like 3 days a week to get muscle growth. It's tempting to try to put a program together with her ideas. I think she does a 3 day split. She eats well and walks every day to Trader Joe's for her meals. She focuses on protein at every meal and limits alcohol and sweets.

I think we're done Christmas shopping. We got DS2 and the granddog's gifts wrapped yesterday and DH is going to ship it to Cali tomorrow. Other than him, we just got a few things for my brother-in-law. DS1 is not into holidays. So it wasn't hard this year!

Hope you have a good week!

Beth

I slept in until 8:30 both weekend days. I just did not want to get up! I'm sure I'll pay for it tonight when I try to get to sleep.

How are you feeling? I'm just maintaining things right now. Taking it all one day at a time, working out 4x/week, and trying to intentionally have good days. It's so hard eating and avoiding goodies this time of year when you are working in an office! I'm trying to just have one bite of things and get lots of protein and calcium in each day.

Pretty low key weekend here. I did Lower Body Bootcamp yesterday and planning on Upper Body Bootcamp today. It's a fun combo. I've started pausing Lives when I need to slow down and am using heavier weights. Come next year I think I'm going back to Lift It Hitt it for a while to build strength. Do you think 1 time a week is enough for each body part? That is where I struggle-since I can't lift super heavy I feel like I should do 2 times-but then it's six days of weights.

Off to watch some soccer!

Beth

Sorry I've been MIA. I had to work Friday night and was literally dragging all day Saturday. I did manage to do laundry and wrap all the gifts though.

I'm off work now until Jan 4th. I took a couple days of PTO, my off Friday, then next week is holiday shut down. I am on call next week and will have to keep an eye on things. Probably work a 1/2 hr each day. Tomorrow I have a bit of grocery/gift shopping, stop at the bank, and then bake with the girls the rest of the day.

I've been keeping up with my workouts, getting 4-5 per week the past couple weeks. My goal for next year is to be more consistent with my workouts. I'm still doing STS with some of theWkout mixed in between.

When you are lifting heavy then one body part per week is all that is needed. Heavy is a relative term. The reason being is to allow the muscles to repair and grow. Each muscle group needs 48 to 72 hours rest before working them again for maximum strength gains. Usually when I do STS, I do each disc twice within 8 or 9 days. I may have a cardio day thrown in etc. With my work schedule the M/W/F doesn't really work for me. As long as you are lifting a challenging weight for you (this will be different for everyone) you will see progress.

I probably won't checkin again until after Christmas. Just too much going on. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas.

ttyl

My family came over Christmas Eve and it was a lot of fun. It was so nice to see everyone and visit. My brother is the only person that didn't come over. I tried calling him and it went to vm, and his vm was full so I couldn't leave a message. We were up until 2am cleaning. DH was mad that some people didn't leave until close to midnight. My brother in law and sister were the only ones that helped clean up before they left.

Christmas day was a lot of fun. We do trivia and the boys love it. Although this year DH decided to give the boys double the amount of money we usually give them. He plans on retiring later this year and that will really have an impact on our financials. I wish he would work a few more years but I guess that is not going to happen. I'm pretty stressed about it too. I'm going to have a talk with him about too and see how that goes. He's 56 years old. It puts a lot of financial stress on me. I don't think he's considered what that means for me. What I'm giving up for him to be able to do this.

I've been keeping up with my workouts. I'm considering going back to tracking on myfitness pal. Do you have any resolutions for the new year?

ttyl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.