Damage Control

The second yoga class was yesterday. We focused a lot on breath to movement and some basic flows. I am really enjoying it so far. As far as workouts, I did get in 6 workouts last week. Today is my rest day. I have a pedicure appt this afternoon and will also stop at kohls and target.

Friday I cleaned out my closet. I went through all the hanging clothes and jeans. I will work on the drawers another day. Most of my clothes are very old, some even 30+ years from before my oldest son was born. I also am donating some of my work clothes since its been years since I worked in office-and they don't fit anyway.

Wow, part time sounds awesome. Sometimes I happy that I have ONLY 10 years to work and other times its more like-ugh, 10 more years. We are trying to keep our savings balance high and still contributing, also keeping my 401K contributions high. It's hard sometimes with 2 adult kids and 2 grandkids living with us. We are doing the best we can though.

Your rotation sounds good. Everything I've been reading on exercise during menopause is to focus one weight training and walking. What are the Beast workouts? Is that the beach body body beast workouts? I've been mostly following the wkout daily workouts. I throw in my own weight also. They tend to be shore on chest and biceps, so I like to use Cathe for those. Plus, biceps are my weakest body part. No matter how heavy I get to I never seem to have any definition here.

ttyl

I finally got in a workout today-legs. I couldn't get away from desk on Mon or Tues to workout. I was able to at least go for a walk on Monday.

Did you see Cathe posted an update on STS 2.0. I'm really looking forward to those workouts.

How is your week going?

My week was terrible. Let's just leave it there. DH doesn't want me obsessing over it anymore. Glad it's the weekend for sure.

STS 2.0 sounds good. I wonder if it'll be just streaming-there has been no presale advertised. I hope not. I have seemed to have lost a bunch of the cathe downloads since upgrading my computer last year. Between that and the "cloud" I'm not getting any more downloads to stream.

What are you guys doing for Easter? We're not doing anything. Typical weekend for me of basically getting ready for next week, sleeping in, and watching soccer.

Yes, body beast from beach body. Although by Friday I was not feeling it and did Lite series chest only. It was about a half hour-four giant sets. I think I was just ready for a change. I like doing the one body part though and then walking to work. I ended up doing legs last weekend and then upper body parts during the week with walks. Just keeping the blood flowing at this point.

DH has injured the leg he broke the hip bone in-so he's frustrated and worried about even being able to walk.

Sorry to be such a downer...

Beth

Sorry you had such a bad week. Any update on the job change-part time, new position etc.? When you say upgrade your computer-did you get a new pc? If you still have your old pc, you should be able to save the downloads to a thumb drive and put them on your new pc. I'm sure you've tried searching for them. Sorry to hear about DH's leg, that's a bummer. Hope it heals quickly. I think if you have an apple/MAC, I think everything is saved to the cloud and you could access them that way. Hope this helps.

My week was okay. My elliptical resistance has stopped working. The incline still works, but no resistance. I think it is about 14 years old. I've been looking at new ones but don't really want to spend the money right now. I'm thinking of getting a trainer for my road bike and using that instead. Then I could use some Cathes' spin workouts. I haven't ridden my bike since we moved here.

We are going to my MIL's for Easter. I am taking mint chocolate chip ice cream dessert and a sweet potato dish. It's pretty low key but it is so nice to see all the family.

I'm going to ask one of my niece if she will try the bikram yoga with me. The studio is right by her house. It's a drive for me, but I want to try it. My 3rd beginner yoga class was yesterday and we worked on more flows and proper alignment. We have next week off and will finish up on the 30th. I will probably start taking the beginner flow class on Sundays and the instructor recommends a mellow flow class before moving into all levels flow. There is a lot of stopping between flows she can give guidance to each of us which is really nice. That doesn't happen in a normal yoga class.

Happy Easter!

How was your week? I was in a training class T-Th. The first day I was about 2 hours late since I just couldn't get connected. Thankfully I still had an old work laptop and that seemed to work. Then I was behind on all the labs. It was good class.

On Monday I did a quick 20 min walk, full body Tuesday, Legs on Wed, full body cardio circuit on Thursday. Today is upper body focused with some swings etc added in. Tuesday night I also walked with the neighbor.

It is supposed to be 83 degrees. DH has already turned on the sprinkler system, about 3 weeks earlier than normal.

How is work going for you? Any updates on a new position?

ttyl

Hello,

You are getting some awesome workouts in! Our warm weather (for one day) gets here tomorrow. We cleaned off the back porch and I plan to be outside as much as possible.

I did talk with my manager and once my provider goes on her maternity leave, I will transition to 3 days a week. I can still purchase health insurance and get part time benefits so that's good. It's under wraps now-I'm not sure if my provider knows or not. I basically am just getting through the days.

I don't know what happened, but my energy level is way, way down. My workouts are suffering and all I want to do is sleep/lay in bed and rest. Should I take a week off? I've already scaled back to just one body part a day for like 1/2 and hour and only did chest, back, and legs this week. I don't know-I feel like I've lost motivation. Weekends don't seem long enough to recharge. Hopefully a better work/life balance with the new position which will start mid June will help me get my mojo back!

Are you doing the Bikrim Yoga this weekend? Is that the one in the heat? That would be so relaxing!

Have a good weekend!

Beth

It sounds like you might just need to take a vacation or staycation. Your job seems to be dragging you down. Taking a week off of working out would probably be good too. You definitely sound burnt out. You may want to have blood work done to see if its anemia, thyroid or some other underlying cause.

I have not had the opportunity to go the hot yoga, it is bikram yoga. I asked my niece but she doesn't like being hot like that so she didn't want to go. I may have to suck it up and go by myself. My last beginner yoga class is tomorrow. After this class we get some sort of discount so I plan on getting a punch pass for right now. They have a beginner flow class every Sunday and the instructor said this is the next step for us. Unfortunately, its's only that one day per week and I'm not sure how long it would take before being ready to take the regular flow classes that are offered many times per week.

My workouts have been going pretty well. I get 4-6 workouts per week. Yesterday I just went for a 3 mile walk around the lakes. It is so nice to get outside now. My weight gain seems to have stopped which I'm really happy about, but not happy about carrying all this extra weight. For the month of May I'm doing Tosca Reno's Spring Cleanse.

Have you seen Power Abs being advertised on FB? It's 10 minutes of ab work each day. She has some other programs, but I'm going to do the power abs for the month of May. Hopefully between the cleanse and the ab work I will some progress.

This change in weather is making my psoriasis so bad. I have medication and shampoo but nothing really seems to be helping right now. I always flare during the weather change in spring and fall.

I took a vacation day today-I just needed a day off. That's why you got a book from me today. :)

ttyl

Thank you for your support-it means a lot to me. I'm definitely in a low period and need to just listen to my body and do what I feel like doing. Every day I wake up with a headache. I think work has a lot to do with it. Of course, then I feel guilty for complaining about anything because I am fortunate in so many ways.

No workouts to report. I am using the McDougall cookbook for recipes lately-low fat based. I made muffins with wheat flour, oat bran, baking soda, and apple juice yesterday. They are edible! No eggs had me wondering how they would turn out!

I need to find a yoga class that fits my schedule. I think that sounds so relaxing! I have been enjoying reading a lot lately and finished a book on Eliza Hamilton yesterday and started one on Eleanor Roosevelt.

Off to watch some soccer-enjoy the rest of your long weekend!

Beth

We are having big swings in temperature and it's causing my psoriasis to flare up. Thankfully I have medication for it, but the itching is driving me crazy.

I had a busy week, but managed to work out 6 days and do yoga 3 days. I'm planning on going to yoga tomorrow morning. I'm learning a lot, it just takes time to get the form correct and all the poses down. Tomorrow is a beginner flow class.

I ordered a rower as a replacement for my elliptical. My elliptical is 14 years old and the resistance stopped working. I wanted to get either another elliptical or a bike. My son wanted a rower and DH said he would use a rower (we shall see). It's a rower, reformer and strength trainer all in one: https://www.litmethod.com
It's a new company and a new machine so I hope its as good as it sounds.

Tomorrow DH and I are taking his mom to lunch. It will be a low key day for us. Do you have any Mother's Day plans?

How was your week? Hopefully it was better. I follow The Galveston Diet on FB and Instagram. Dr. Mary Claire Haver is an obgyn and focuses on peri-menopause and menopause. The lethargy you are experiencing is a symptom of this phase of life. You might want to check her out.

ttyl

I will check out the Galveston boards. My lethargy is much better this week. I did have a three day weekend (took Friday off) so that really helped! I only got 8 movement sessions last week-includes my walks to work. I aim for 10. When I go to 3 days a week I'm definitely looking for a yoga class here. You are inspiring me!

My brother in law has a rower and he uses it. He likes it. It has a water filled container on it, so it sounds like he's in the water. It's total body-I think you'll like it.

DS2 and I talked over an hour on Mother's day, so that was my highlight! Made a brunch for us here and had a nice day.

Beth

We are looking into adding the bar to the basement. The plumbing rough in is there for it. It is more like a mini kitchen, with upper/lowers and refrigerator on the back wall, and lowers with a sink on the front. We should get the estimate by the end of the week. We also sold DH's truck. It needed some work and we never drive it anymore. Unfortunately, right after we sold it, DS'2s transmission went out of his car. He only paid $1200 for it 2 years ago and its $6500 to replace the transmission. He's using my car for now, but has is getting a car from carmax in Indiana. They are shipping it here and he can test drive it and purchase it if he likes it.

Workouts-well I got in 5 days and 3 yoga sessions. Friday was my rest day. I had to work all day and a bit at night. I will probably go to yoga this morning. I was hoping my son would've set up my rower, but he hasn't yet. I'm going to see if will set it up tonight. I'm so excited to try something new.

Work wise, I was in a training class last week and my brain is full. I'm finding it harder to pick up new things as quickly as I used to. DH says it's an age thing and that he has it also. :)

I went to Costco yesterday and I think it was a record spend for me $495. I just bought the normal stuff too. Prices are up everywhere. I also mowed the lawn for the first time this year. DH and I tried to pull out the tree stakes, we only got 2 out and we have 6 more to go. It was really hard. It may be worth getting a stake puller.

Hope you had a great week. Any fun plans for the weekend?

I had an ok week. Thursday I made it a point to talk to my dad when he was in the office. He was-nasty and DH said I should have walked away. There is no talking to him. Then Friday i was off work and we went to Lowe's and I saw my mom. I went over to her and told her what happened. I told her lots of things, but the main one was-it's not about the money it's about being equal. She responded that my brother would never marry and that she thought I would understand. I told her to give the whole shebang to the SPCA and things would be fine-because they would be equal. She doesn't get it-DH thinks she has always resented me so that's why she "doesn't get it". Lost cause.

I also had a major headache Wednesday-Friday. It finally went away yesterday. Walked with a friend here and have just been taking it easy. I can not wait for 3 days a week. I think I'll be able to get in a better routine then with lifting!

Sounds like your balance is better this week. Good luck with the stakes they are really hard!

I want to see a picture of your bar when it's done!
Beth

How as your week? I saw n the weather channel that it snowed in Colorado. Did you get snow?

I did end up seeing my doctor on Friday and am getting some blood work done to see about my lethargy//fatigue. It's still impacting me lot-feels like all I have energy for is getting through the day at work. Only 1 upper body workout this week besides walking. I either need motivation or more time!

Not much else is new. I'm enjoying a good book and we got Chinese last night from a new place that opened up here in town.

I hope all is well,

Beth

Sorry I've been MIA. Just working, errands, household stuff etc. I've been getting 5 or 6 days of workouts each week. I try to get to Yoga on Sunday mornings and Monday nights, and one additional day during the week. My rower arrived and DS1 put it together for me. I've done the first 2 classes of 5-the beginner rower classes. They have an app that has a lot of classes-rowing, pilates and strength training. The ones I'm working on go over form and the many varieties of rowing.

I was sorry to read that you are still estranged from your parents. As you know, my MIL gave my parents house to my brother, instead of to the 3 of us kids as my dad wanted. My brother has had tax issues for many years and will probably lose the house. Also, it needs some upkeep and is having foundation issues. It's so frustrating to see this. My sister and I are both still bothered by it and we always say-no one gave us a free house that was paid off. I understand your frustration.

We had 90 degree temps on Thursday, then rain and snow on Friday and Saturday. We need the moisture as we are always in a drought cycle.

Hopefully your dr. will have some answers for you soon. I'm usually tired by the end of the day, sitting all day makes it worse. That is why I'm trying to something besides move from my office to the couch at night. If the weather is good then I do like to walk at least a couple times per week.

Chinese food sounds wonderful.

ttyl

The girls had 8th grade continuation on Thursday morning. I took my MIL and we enjoyed the ceremony. Then my MIL and I went out to lunch and DS took the girls and their best friend to downtown Denver. They had a great day. That afternoon I had sclerotherapy, hoping to get rid of this deep varicose vein. I think it worked. This was my second appt. so most of the spider veins were gone, but he injected everything he saw and said this would probably be my last appt. I've just been walking and will probably do upper body weights today. No running or jumping until Monday.

Do you have any plans for the long weekend? We are just staying home. We may grill steaks tomorrow on the grill since it is supposed to be cold and rainy on Monday.

ttyl

We've had a great weekend so far. Took some long walks and did the LITE series pyramids-Upper on Saturday and Lower on Sunday. I think I'm just going to be in a "maintenance" phase and not try to build mass. A different mindset that I don't need to lift as heavy as possible every single workout. I'm hoping that kick starts my love of working out again!

Liverpool lost on Saturday...someone had to, right?! other than that just doing yard work and house work and enjoying reading. I think I'm going to get my bike out today and go for a ride. It's a planned rest day for me after two days of weights and I want to do something outside.

How does your leg feel? Enjoy the long weekend,

Beth

Well, another week in the can. I did manage to do weights on Tuesday and Thursday mornings before work. I'm just doing the LITE PUB and PLB for weights. I like the format of pyramids and as Cathe says: I can get a lot accomplished in a short amount of time! Feeling a bit better. I wonder if I had a COVID last month? I was so tired all the time. My blood work came back fine-no issues anywhere. So that was nice to hear.

Weekend plans are pretty open. I am going to try my hand at making homemade almond flour crackers from a recipe I found on the internet. The less processed the better.

Beth

Well I've been getting in 5 or 6 workouts each week and feel good about that. I am giving up alcohol for the month of June. I found a Dr. that will do a hormone panel. I currently have a very low dose estrogen patch, but the hot flashes are getting much worse and not sleeping is problematic. I'm looking for a miracle here.

I ended up taking Thursday off so I could help my MIL. She is on our cell phone plan and needed a new Iphone. Her phone is about 7 years old. We got her a new one and the I helped her get all her stuff set back up. She is terrible with passwords and it was a bit of a struggle but we got it done.

Friday was my normal day off and I took the girls to see Maverick- Top Gun. We all enjoyed it. It was nice to get to do something with the girls. Their Mom was going to several concerts this weekend so they are here. They just left a little bit ago for the pool.

We have flying ants in our garage, they are so resilient. We been putting ant killer down and I also made a solution of dish soap, water and peppermint oil. We have pest control service that comes quarterly, but they aren't scheduled to come until July. I made an appt for tomorrow since this pesky ants just keep coming back.

Not much going on this weekend. I spent a couple hours in the garage emptying boxes and throwing stuff out yesterday. We could probably throw out a ton of stuff if DH would just go through some things. Yard work is on the agenda for today, but not until later this evening when it cools down a bit.

ttyl

Where are the days going? I feel like I turn around and it's been a week since I checked in! I got up at 5 again on Tuesday and Thursday this week and did Lite Series weight. I think this weekend I'm going to start with the Intensity Pyramids and do those for a few weeks. I'm enjoying the pyramid format for a while-45 minutes and done.

I finally found out I'll move to part time on 6/26 or 7/10 depending upon staffing. We still have COVID in the office and there is always at least one person out on quarantine-very frustrating. I feel like health care is becoming such a business as opposed to a profession. Daily we are updated on percentage of fill rates, no show's, provider usage, it's ridiculous. I'm trying to hold on a few more years and hope the part time will allow for that.

I am off Friday and it's gorgeous outside! What have you been up to?

Beth

Oh gosh, just busy with life. I'm doing the June Challenge on the platform I'm following right now. It's heavy weights with 20 min of cardio at the end. The alternate days are weight based cardio, so lower weights, high reps and compounds to keep us in the fat burning zone. I'm able to squat 114lbs now and deadlift the same. I'm usually wiped out after the weights and do the 20 minute cardio later in the day or in the evening on my rower or just go for a walk.

Today was a mess, the internet has been out most of the day. It finally came back up tonight. I had to message my boss at 10:45 that the internet was out with no ETA. I did make good use of my time though and treated the fence. It's long overdue and I got it done in 98 degree heat.

DS1's ex-fiance was in town so we met her for lunch on Saturday. It was my son, my MIL and the girls. It was so nice to see her. She is truly a gem. Somehow her and my son are still friends. She got married earlier this year.

So glad to hear that part-time is coming up soon for you. I wish I could do that, but I carry all the benefits and we want to beef up our savings and 401K before DH retires. I'm looking forward to STS 2.0, but I haven't seen any updates on that recently.

ttyl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.