Commit to get FIT & Lean for April 2014!

Hello all! Hope you had a great weekend :)

I've been so busy over the past week that I didn't even have time to check in, but I did get my workouts in :D Let's see...after my last check-in, I was did Amy Bento's Slo-Mo Back & Shoulders on Sat 4/5. I only had one exercise left to do (but I didn't know that at the time because her DVDs don't show chapters the way Cathe's do), and I just didn't have the energy to go on. I think that I was still worn out from my upper body workout on Weds. Anyway, I listened to my body and stopped. I rarely feel like I can't get through a workout, but when that happens, I know it's best to just wait until the next day (or more). I took Sunday & Monday off since they are my scheduled rest days, then did 90 Day Supreme Legs on Tuesday. The guy who hosts the 90 Day Supreme workouts gets on my nerves because he doesn't actually do the workouts. He just stands there giving silly pep talks. But, the workout is good, and I like to change up instructors to work variety into my workouts and increase my strength, so I just tune him out. Weds, I went back to Amy Bento's Slo-Mo Back & Shoulders and finished it, then added in Slo-Mo Chest, Bis & Tris. Friday I did Amy's Slo-Mo Legs. I really like the variety this dvd has added to my rotation. Interesting moves, and I worked my muscles in very different ways :) Saturday I did Cathe's Trisets Back/Biceps/Core and added in some pullups & chinups. Today is a rest day, as is tomorrow. I've been busy preparing for our trip to Key West, so I'm lucky I managed to get my workouts done. Plus, I spent all weekend at my daughter's soccer tournament. At least it was in town so I could get my workout in yesterday. It has been sunny and near 80 this weekend, so I've got a very good base tan going (even though I wear high spf sunscreen. I have an olive complexion, so no amount of sunscreen is going to keep me from tanning). I spent Friday shopping for swimsuits, which for a short, 50-year old woman is quite a trial. I'm too short for one-pieces (too much extra fabric), and after having had 3 large babies, the last one at age 37, I'm a little self conscious about wearing a bikini. The perfect compromise, a one-piece with major cutouts. Basically the bathing suits I bought are bikinis with a swatch of fabric in the front that connects the top & the bottom, just barely covering some of your stomach. Smoke & mirrors go a long way to still looking pretty darned hot for an old lady :cool:

Amelia: I am so very sorry for the loss of your husband's uncle. I have several friends who have lost loved ones due to suicide, and it is absolutely devastating to their family and friends. Y'all have read my posts mentioning my dog Stella. A very good friend's sister committed suicide 8 years ago, leaving behind her husband and 4 kids. Two of the kids were from her first husband, so he took them and the other two went to her second husband. To make matters worse for the children, neither father could keep any of their pets (3 dogs and some cats). We took Stella. It was the mom's fav pet. My friend said that she was so very happy that Stella went to a stable home. I am often reminded of the circumstances under which we adopted Stella, and I know that my friend still mourns the loss of her sister. My prayer is that your husband's uncle's family will find peace and comfort from their loved ones and friends as they mourn their loss. I am so very sorry. And I love your weeping willow painting. That is one of my fav trees. Beautiful.

Kelly: Congrats on building your new home! That is so exciting! Our first house was a new-build. It was a wonderful first home, and my first two kids were babies there. Wonderful memories :) Hope the loan for the mortgage works out in your favor. And did it snow where you are today? Good grief, I hope not. That just seems crazy cause it's so warm here :cool:

Cookie: I know you are proud of your Huskies! Congrats! And no, I do not incorporate Cathe's rotations into my workout plan. I almost always strength train 4 days per week (two upper, usually split, and two lower). I just rotate through my vast collection of dvds. I do not do cardio workouts. I do take Stella on walks though, but that's just as much for the enjoyment of being outdoors as it is for exercise. I did find an awesome trail at the park I was at all weekend for soccer. I did a 5k there 3 years ago and didn't notice that the trail has workout stations. They are really cool. I think they are spread out about every 1/8-1/4 mile. Kind of like an obstacle course race. I am super excited about going back there to do the trail! Hope you had a wonderful time visiting your son in NYC! I am going to be in the same boat soon when my oldest moves to Colorado Springs this summer :(

Kristen: I can't work out every single day either! For max muscle growth, it's best to rest a muscle group at least 72 hours b/n workouts (the old way of thinking was 48 hours, but that has changed with research that showed athletes have better muscle development with a 72 hour rest. And really, I do consider myself an athlete, so why not train like one?). I've seen awesome results with 72 hour rests. I have more muscle mass at 50 than I did in my 20's :) And my fat % is in the range of an athlete, so I must be doing something right :eek:

Waving hello to everyone else! --Vicki

Last edited:
'Morning!
Belinda, are you seeing lots of buds and blooms in your area? Saw lots of signs of spring here yesterday. Amazing since two weeks ago, I was wearing lots of layers.
Amelia, how do you decide what you are going to paint? Did you enjoy art when you were in school?
Kelly, hope you hear good news today about a mortgage. This must be very stressful for you.
Kristin, that's a busy schedule. HOpe you get some you time this week.
Vicky, like your comment that you are an athlete. So true.
Deb, thinking of you.
Got in 25 miles yesterday. Yoga today to stretch out. It is very hilly in this area. In the afternoon took a different route past a ski resort, house we looked at years ago, and lots of undulating hills back home.
Cookie

Good morning,

Sorry for not checking in yesterday. Ended up taking a rest day! DH and I went and bought some vegetables plants for my vegetable garden. I will make only a small veg garden:D

Today's workouts is : B&G premix: Overall Legs and abs and tonight P90X3 Accelerator.

Cookie - holy moly, on your 25 miler yesterday. You sure, getting in some miles. Yes, it's nice to see buds and blooms:D Love this time of year!

Kirstin - your dog is so cute! At least you getting in some good walks:D

Amelia - so what did you end up doing? Take a rest day or did you do the cardio?

Debbie - hope you have fun in Florida?

Vickie - nice job, keeping up with your workouts.

I will return after my workout. Have a great Monday, everyone.

Morning girls! I swear Monday always comes around so fast.. I'm trying to stay positive today and hope for the best. :) Yesterday I did the Boot Camp/Upper Body Circuit premix from 4DS, and am feeling it pretty good today in the chest aned shoulders.

Vickie - It did snow here yesterday! We would up with several inches too. I'm soooo over it! So jealous of your trip, that sounds fun! And props on your bathing suits, I'm still far from feeling comfortable in them lol How big were your kids? Aiden was 8 lbs 2 oz and 20 inches - not huge compared to some babies, but I'm only 5'1" lol

Cookie - Great job on 25 miles! I'm impressed, you definitely earned your yoga today :)

Hi to everyone else, hope you all have a great day!

P.S. - we finally got Aiden's 2-year pics back, so I just wanted to share a few :) They turned our super cute for as difficult as he was lol

Attachments

• image-3406431594.jpg
    image-3406431594.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image-100979169.jpg
    image-100979169.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image-446551829.jpg
    image-446551829.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image-632621477.jpg
    image-632621477.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1
  • image-2369309350.jpg
    image-2369309350.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
Hi everyone. I just finished CF, less impact premix. I also walked Baxter this morning. We are going out to look at some patio furniture. Then DS has a bb game later. Trying to eat better today. The last few days has not been my best.

Kelly- nice workout with 4DS BC. I love that series.

Belinda- he is adorable, isn't he? He cracked me up yesterday when we did the walk/run. I would walk for 5 minutes and then run for 5, and then I started walking less and running more and he gave me this look at the end, like "Thank God, we're done, right?" lol.

Cookie- I am enjoying my time this week, but I still have work to do, lol, of course. 25 miles, that's amazing!!!!

Vicki- I always feel guilty taking more than one or two rest days a week, but sometimes I just don't have it in me at all. This past week I was just super busy, there was literally no time!

Amelia- how's it going?

Deb- still on vaca in Florida?

Melissa- do you have spring break this week?

Okay, I'm off to shower and then go shopping.

Kristin

Hi ladies,

Butts and Guts" Overall legs" is done!

Kirstin - wtg, on CF and walking Baxter. Have fun shopping this afternoon. Baxter is adorable! LOL, about your walk/run. Dogs are smart;)

Kelly - your little one is adorable! Thanks for sharing his pic with us! WTG, on 4DS BC, love this series too.

Cookie - can you still walk, after that 25 miles?:eek::p How are your legs feeling today?

Waving Hi to everyone that checks in after me. I will be back later, to report workout #2:eek:

'Morning!
Belinda, just wondering how your pf is doing? Reading about Amelia's made me wonder about yours. Bet you are sleeping good with twice-a-day workouts.
Amelia, hope your foot is doing better. Are there drug store brand inserts you can get until you get the dr ones?
Kristen, I took three dogs to the vet yesterday, and omg was it expensive. The meds for flea and tick were where the money went! TG all were okay. Do you get to sleep in a bit later this week?
Kelly, your son is so cute. Thanks for sharing. How's your work challenge coming along?
Vicky, you are so organized in your workouts and have great body confidence.
Deb, missing you.
DH came home early yesterday, so we managed to get in another walk. He's flew out very early this morning for a few days, so glad we got it in. Managed another 20 yesterday. Did some this morning on rebounder and then Cathe's stretch. Off to work. Meeting Mom for dinner.
Cookie

Happy Tuesday morning! (I love Tuesdays because I am off work :D)

Today I will do Xtrain Legs. I don't know how you ladies do more than one workout per day! It's all I can do to complete one workout. Already took Stella on her walk as it will be stormy today. We are already having to use the air conditioner here, on and off! Tonight though, it will dip down to freezing. We have a general rule here to wait until after tax day to plant annuals. When I took Stella for a walk this past weekend, I noticed that many people had jumped the gun, like usual, because we have such early spring weather. They forget that the spring here is erratic, and we always have a frost or freeze in April. Glad that I always hold out.

Cookie--I don't think people realize how expensive dogs can be. And the bigger they are, the more expensive their preventatives (and boarding). I order our flea & tick and heartworm meds from budgetpetcare.com or Petsmart. Much more reasonably priced than other providers. Stella is on the wellness plan at Petsmart, which covers once-a-year dental cleanings, twice-a-year well visits, immunizations, and all sick visits. I think I pay around $30-$40 per month, and it is well worth it. And seriously, how on earth do you manage to cover so many miles?! That's incredible! How long does it take you to cover 20 miles?

Kelly--I'm 5'1", too. I had my first baby at 27, and he was 9 lb 3 oz. The doc was concerned that he was going to be over 10 lbs, so they did a c-section. My second baby came a week early, thank goodness, because she was 8 lb 1 oz (I didn't have a c-section with her). I was 30 when I delivered her. My body bounced back just fine after the first two babies. I had my third baby at 37, and I told my doc that I refused to vaginally deliver a big baby at my age because I was worried about pelvic floor damage, so they induced me on her due date. And thank goodness, because she was 8 lb 7 oz. I only gained 27-32 lbs with each baby, but my poor stomach stretched out so far that my skin just couldn't rebound completely after the 3rd pregnancy. I know that it seems silly to most people, and my friends think that I'm crazy for being self-conscious, but I'm too vain to feel totally comfortable in a bikini because I don't like what I'll admit is not-very-noticeable loose skin around my stomach and my deflated belly button. I know that it's silly, but it bugs me. The thing is, I'm not vain enough to spend $ trying to get it corrected, with plastic surgery or whatever. Maybe as I age and the rest of my skin starts sagging more, I won't even give a second thought to the skin on my stomach :confused:

Belinda--I'm only growing herbs in my garden this summer. I use most of the space in my yard for ornamentals because veggies and fruits are so reasonably priced here (we have a long growing season). But harvested fresh herbs just don't keep long enough for me, so I like to grow them in the garden and only cut what I need for a meal. I've already got mint growing like crazy, so I'm excited to have mock mojitos in the fridge all the time (and the real thing some of the times). It's the little things :p

So do any of you ladies go through healthy eating/poor eating cycles? I go through cycles where I eat really well, then I kind of bottom out and eat poorly, then rebound and eat well, and so on. I'm not really sure when this all started. I've tried to think back to when I first started having issues with food, and I'm pretty sure it was after my 3rd child was born, when I was 37. She was a very, very difficult baby, and I don't specifically remember doing it, but I likely snacked to relieve stress or boredom. I guess it didn't really present a problem until I was in my 40's and started gaining weight. After I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I found that after eating poorly, eating healthy for a period didn't help as much as it used to. My cravings make me feel obsessive/complusive regarding food and at times I binge eat. If there's a package of Oreo's in the house, it's like, the sooner I eat them all, the better, so that way they won't be around anymore singing their siren call to me :confused: No one would know that about me because I've always been so fit and trim (except during the few years when I was battling my thyroid issues). I try to keep trigger foods out of the house, but with a 12-year old that's not always possible. I feel guilty not buying or making occasional treats for the fam just because I'm the one with the problem. I eat very healthy (cook almost all of my meals) most days, but I still have inexplicable cravings that sometimes I can resist, and sometimes I cannot. I've always known that if I could get a handle on my cravings or obsessive/compulsive behavior with food, I'd be better off, but it's so hard. I've eaten really well for the past week because I know that I've got my Key West trip coming up, and that is going to be a killer healthy-eating wise. Most of the people going on this trip aren't too concerned about what they eat. I went on a trip with some of them this past Labor Day weekend, and they eat until late into the night, even after having eaten what I would consider a dinner. I can't keep up with them because I'm just too small (5'1"). And when you throw alcohol into the mix, that just makes for more eating. I've tried to figure out some strategies to use. One is that I'm going to stick with low-alcohol drinks and alternate them with non-alcoholic drinks. Really, I just love a good tasting drink, so I really don't miss the alcohol at all. One of the guys going with us makes an amazing bloody Mary. He said he also has an awesome recipe using beer instead of vodka, so I'm going to try that. I'll also drink beergaritas instead of margaritas (uses beer instead of tequila). I know some people think, "Hey, it's a vacation. Do what you want!", but I have a very active social life, so every weekend is like a freaking vaca, which I love, but it does a number on my attempt to eat healthy most of the time. The night after we get back from Key West, I am going to a friend's birthday cocktails & dinner party. I guess the biggest challenge for me though is figuring out how to stop obsessively thinking about food when cravings hit. And how to stop at just a couple of cookies when I do decide that it's ok to have them (for the day, that is. I'll only eat a couple of cookies at a time, but I do that so many times throughout the day, that by the end of the day, I ate the whole pack!). Is there anything that I can do other than never having them in the house? Any suggestions?

Good afternoon,

GS Chest & Triceps are done! My chest and triceps are on fire, just did that workout on Saturday:eek: I will do P90X3 The Warrior tonight.

I don't have time for personals right now, will catch up later.

Hey girls, quick update for now and I will bbl with personals

Yesterday was 30 minutes of total gym
Today was a 30 minute power walk

bbl:)

Good morning,

Today is LIC Premix: Cardio Blast Timesaver and tonight P90X3 yoga.

Cookie - you sure are getting those miles in these day's:eek: Good for you! As long as, I am keeping everything low impact I am fine;) I am wearing my insoles day and night, sort of speak:p

Amelia - nice job on your walk and weight workout.

Vicki - I don't have any small kids in the house, my kids are all grown up:D I have to grow mint, since it's growing so well:eek:

Happy Hump Day, everyone. BBL!

Good Morning

Today I plan on doing a cardio and weights. Not sure what yet...I may take a break from the total gym and do a cathe free weights.

So I'm getting a little frustrated with my weight loss. Its going at a snails pace. Today is day 64 and I'm still only down 8lbs. I was hoping to lose double that by my 2nd month. :mad: and I haven't lost anything in 18 days. WTH? I think its time to change things up, maybe lowering my carbs or something? What do you guys think?

Belinda- Hows the chest and triceps today? Good job yesterday

Vbrady- Yes on the food cycles. Ever since I lost 112lbs back in 2005-2007 I have had what I call an eating disorder. I obsess about food, specially around that time of month. And I can't have any sweets in the house or simple carbs because I will binge on them. I also keep any other trigger foods out of the house ( cheese nips, graham crackers) . Sometimes my workouts help with that urge to eat ( as I call it) but when they don't I really have to just step back and figure out 'why' im feeling that way. What happened to trigger the emotion? I went through therapy to get to the root of it. It helped but in the end its up to me to figure out.
Lately my willpower has been pretty good though but I still have weak moments and working in a deli doesn't help at all.:confused:

Cookie- :eek: on the 20 miles, awesome job!! And great job on your rebounder and stretch workout! How was dinner with your mom? About the shoe inserts, I found some at famous footwear that are pretty good, they last about 2 months before my feet start hurting again. I plain on buying some new sneakers next weekend though - finally :eek:

Kristin- How's baxter doing with his training? My boxer is a character, when she's hungry she will put her head on my lap and look up at me with 'those eyes' and start whining. Its so annoying and cute, lol

Kelly- adorable pictures! Thanks for sharing them. Great job on your workout the other day too.

Debbie-You must still be on vacation? Check in when you get a chance :)

Where is Melissa? I wish she would check in..

ok, later gators.

Low max step combo's only premix done. I chanced it and did it on the step...hope im not paying for it later on :eek:

Hi guys. Yesterday ended up being a rest day. I was not feeling very well. I still have a stuffed nose. I took the boys to see the Muppet Movie. It was cute. Then I had a conference call (online) at 7. I was just not into working out. I also ate an entire box of juji fruits and popcorn. . . and ice cream last night :eek:. Anyway. . . no surprise that I woke up bloated and felt the need to kick butt. I took Baxter for a walk/run. It was freakin' cold out there. Then I cleaned up a little bit. I just finished Super Cuts. I am behind in this month's rotation, but I planned it out and by the time I finish it I will have two days left in April, not bad.

Anyway. . .

Amelia- I hear you on being frustrated with the slow weight loss. Just keep working hard and tweaking your diet. It is going to come off eventually. Just keep pushing forward and staying motivated. For me I have five pounds I ant to get rid of.. . but I cannot control what I am eating lately. Baxter is doing great. He has really come a long way and he is even running by my side instead of pulling me, lol.

Belinda- nice job with LIC. Are you realizing that you missed doing step? I want to start T25 after I finish this rotation, but I am not sure I can go that long without doing Cathe workouts too. I am trying to think of a way of combining them. Not sure what I will do. Maybe do T25 and then Cathe weights. I don't know.

Vicki- I obsess over food at times too, especially when I am denying myself a craving and then when I give in. Alcohol and me means binge eating as well. I think what works for me is to try my best to buy foods for kids that I don't like all that much. For example, they love Chips Ahoy cookies, I don't. They love Oreos with birthday cake filling, not me. They like Italian Ices, I don't. That works out well for us. Chips are my downfall, especially Doritos. I can eat an entire bag without realizing it. We just have to keep diligent and not deny ourselves that piece of dessert when out to dinner. Vacations I am more relaxed with what I eat, but I exercise while on vacation. I take CAthe's Travel Fit, stay at hotels with gyms, or when we are at Disney, I walk, walk, walk, lol.

Cookie- was it Front Guard meds? It is expensive! Are you off this week. I have to plan a PD for Monday, so I am busy working on my break, plus getting the grades done. Still, I like that I can stay home, lol.

Okay, off to shower and get to work.

Kristin

Hi there!
Belinda la Machine, hope your foot is alright tomorrow. Cathe makes really great step workouts. Did you get snow last night? We did.
Amelia, you should be so proud of your weight loss journey! Honest. Just like life, it has its hills and curves and downhills, but it the darn plateaus that are killers when you're doing everything and not seeing the scale move. Frankly, I don't think the scale is a good indicator. How are your clothes fitting? How are you feeling?
Kristen, is it a cold or allergies? We received about 4 inches of snow overnight; a lot is melting but is is cold outside. Of course, it doesn't help w/dh sending texts and photos of California, where's he's on a trip. I took Monday afternoon off and this upcoming Friday.
Kelly, your ds is such a cutie. How's your workplace challenge?
Vicki, Monday's miles were cummulative for the day. I did some rebounding and got some then, walking during day, and a long walk w/dh in afternoon/evening. Just trying to be ready for the big walk the beginning of May. My trigger is stress, and then I then I can mindlessly eat. Otherwise, the treats my dh has around just don't interest me. DH has an enormous sweet tooth! Kristen's idea of buying what you don't like is a good one.
I also miss Melissa.
Deb, hope you're having a great time in Florida.
Did 100s and Push/Pull this morning.
Cookie

Good afternoon,

Forgot to post this morning's workout:I ended up doing Turbo Fire EZ55, instead of LIC premix: cardio blast:eek: I just did the Blast one 2 weeks ago, need to mix things up. Or I get bored:p

Cookie - no, snow! And you can keep it all:p I am so tired of this weather, just don't want to do anything…just sleep:confused: Oh, I am like you with the snacks. DH buys chips, I don't like them.I do keep chocolate in the house, need my chocolate:p Just one piece:p How is your foot feeling with all those walking/hicking?

Kirstin - I really don't miss step:confused: I think, I burned out on it. It's fun once in awhile, but that's it. I am more into Kickboxing right now:roll eyes: I really think you would like T25. Give them a try and see if you like them, they are only 25-30 min. You always can add on a Cathe workout, JMO;) T25 is so much fun and you sweat like crazy:D

Amelia - I agree with Cookie! Like you we all straggle in some way's, same here:confused: Keep up with your workouts, eventually the scale will move in the right direction. Oh, my chest/triceps were on fire yesterday. I am gonna hit them hard again, with all those planks in P90X3 Yoga later this evening.

Debbie - hope you having fun at the beach. Hope your dad is doing better.

Melissa - must be busy with school, hah?

BTW, Totalfitness is having a Easter Sale tomorrow:eek: I don't need anymore workout dvd's:roll eyes: LOL!

I will see you all in the morning. Good night.

Good Wednesday evening :) Tonight I am doing Trisets Chest/shoulders/Tris. I also add dips.

Amelia--112 lbs! Wow, that is dedication! Insofar as your plateau with weight loss, they say that changing things up is key. That could mean adding more calories for a few days (which seems counterintuitive, but it has been shown to work), changing up your workouts (long bouts of steady cardio have actually been shown to increase belly fat. If you've been doing long, steady cardio, switch it up with HiiT, or High Intensity Intervals. Also, you should be doing at least as much strength training as cardio, if not more. I get enough cardio with my strength workouts, so I don't do cardio workouts. I've managed to gain and maintain enough muscle mass to only have to workout 4 days per week, and my metabolism is strong, even with my hypothyroidism), or cut carbs (if you are not already on a low-carb diet). I am usually in maintenance (diet-wise), but when I gain a few pounds and want to take them off, cutting carbs, particularly at dinner, usually works for me. With my vaca to Key West coming up, I've been very careful with carbs for the past week and have taken off the few pounds that I'd gained over the past month or so. And I appreciate your feedback on food obsession. I wish that I could get a handle on it, but every time I'm doing really well, I'll let myself have a treat and I end up on a sugar binge. I just watched an episode of Dr. Oz yesterday about sugar addiction, and I fit the description to a T. He said that you really have to treat it like an addiction to alcohol or drugs and quit cold turkey and never go back. One woman on the show said that she cut out refined sugars and was very careful with unrefined sugars for 6 months. Then when the holidays came around, she let herself have a little and ended up completely off the wagon, and she said since then, not only is her sugar addiction back, but it's worse than ever. As many times as I've gone off sugar and then ended up back on, I probably just need to give it up for good :( Hang in there with trying to lose the rest of the weight you want to lose. I find that by focusing on % of body fat, my goal is more fitness-oriented than weight-oriented, though there is a correlation. Once you get close to your goal weight, your body wants to hang on to fat even more, which is why deliberately adding calories back in for a few days, then going back to your diet can trigger weight loss. Plus the smaller you get, the fewer calories you burn doing the same work, which is why I like strength training--because as I get stronger, I just lift heavier, not longer. Let us know if you try any changes, and what seems to work the best.

Kristen--Yeah, I buy stuff that I don't like, too, like Little Debbie's snack cakes, Chips Ahoy, etc. I generally don't buy my trigger foods. But every once in a while, I'll see something I love on sale, thinking I can eat it sensibly this time, but I rarely can :( The interesting thing is that I either don't gain or even lose weight on vacations because I'm having so much fun and am so busy that I'm not mindlessly or obsessively eating. That's it! I need to go on vacations much more often :p

Waving hi to everyone else!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.