Charcoal supplements

Tami- Whatever you do, do not take them at the same time as your vitamins, they will completely wash them out of your system.

Completely. Your hair will fall out if you do that. And, you will feel extremely tired. So. if you need to chelate out something or if you feel that you have been poisoned, that is an option.

BTw, I'm not a dr. I had an experience with that as a teen.

I've only ever used activated charcoal to help with an upset stomach/nausea. Never on a regular basis.

Tami- Whatever you do, do not take them at the same time as your vitamins, they will completely wash them out of your system.

Completely. Your hair will fall out if you do that. And, you will feel extremely tired. So. if you need to chelate out something or if you feel that you have been poisoned, that is an option.

BTw, I'm not a dr. I had an experience with that as a teen.

OK, don't take this the wrong way, but you totally freaked me out. :eek: Would you mind explaining more? please. PM if you would prefer.

I've only ever used activated charcoal to help with an upset stomach/nausea. Never on a regular basis.

That is what I ordered. I'll be honest here...*gulp*...I'm thinking on a regular basis. I eat clean & again to be honest I am quite..uuumm.. shall we say gassy. :rolleyes::eek: It seems all the time!!!! I was hoping this may help. As does my family ;)

I've used them for smelly gas but they didn't work all that well. Also tried pro digest gold - expensive but better. I don't know If you take Lexapro or other antidepressants but I seriously think that is what caused mine. My dr disagrees with me. All I know is that when I went off of them the smell went away. Still have gas - just not stinky. I tooted the other day and my 3 yr old son said, "mommy you tooted and it don't stinks". It was so nice to hear that instead. Good luck!

I've used them for smelly gas but they didn't work all that well. Also tried pro digest gold - expensive but better. I don't know If you take Lexapro or other antidepressants but I seriously think that is what caused mine. My dr disagrees with me. All I know is that when I went off of them the smell went away. Still have gas - just not stinky. I tooted the other day and my 3 yr old son said, "mommy you tooted and it don't stinks". It was so nice to hear that instead. Good luck!

That is cute!! haha No, I do not take that. I did see medications that may cause gas, none of which I take. I'm thinking I will hold off on charcoal. It seems I remember Tosca Reno mentioning about drinking ACV for this. Will do research over there. Surely I am not the only clean eater to experience this.
Thanks!

If it continues to be a problem, you might consider Devrom. I think it's only available by prescription. I don't have any personal experience with it, but heard its very effective. I don't know anything else about it, such as how natural it is or any side effects, just that it works.

It's hard to appreciate how much an issue like this can begin to limit you,,,,it's like having IBS or something, where you gEt to the point you are worried about leaving the house. I hope you are able to get a handle on this quickly.

Good luck!

I guess no one likes to admit they have gas. I've posted here before about this subject with basically no reply. I was shocked - all these clean eaters and no one has any gas? Since I've been off the Lexapro I have not had the issues with the smell. I've only been off for about 4 weeks now so we'll have to see if it comes back. It's terribly embarrassing though and does limit your life in major ways. I've been all over Whole Foods supplement section trying to find the answer. The Digest Gold is expensive ($28.00) - I think it was helping though. I had never heard of Devrom but I would have tried it too. I am still passing gas but with very little odor - thank God. Since I still have it I am always squeezing my cheeks to hold it in when out in public. :) At least for now I don't have to worry about offending anyone with the smell. My friend said she's had the same problem since giving birth - both of us had 4th degree tears with each child. BTW I took Charcoal for awhile and never lost any hair. I also just bought it at the local drug store. Good luck to you. I hope you find the answer.

I found myself being MORE gassy because of more Protein i've been eating,and I wonder if it comes with age?

Thanks Miller & Terina. i appreciate both your replies. I have wondered the same thing, so many clean eaters & no one else has gas???:confused::confused::confused: I keep meaning to check on clean eating forum, just have not had time. It actually has not been as bad the past several days.

I had never thought of the protein angle. Plus the lovely age thing. At this rate I'll be a real treat at a nursing home someday :rolleyes:.

Thanks again
Tami

OK, don't take this the wrong way, but you totally freaked me out. :eek: Would you mind explaining more? please. PM if you would prefer.

When I was a teen I went through a period where I was utterly exhausted all the time. My Dad tried a charcoal tablet therapy to help me wash out anything that might be causing a problem. Being a kid, I did not know that charcoal would bind with whatever I took it with it the time. I lost about half of the volume of my hair. In retrospect, I have since learned how to eat better (whole foods and nothing weird like aspartame or margarine.) I get regular sleep, exercise on a schedule, and I eat plenty of healthy fats. I suffered from lipid deficiencies (caused by my low fat diet designed by doctors to make me lose weight. It did many things, but did not make me lose any weight.) Anywhoo, basically my diet was a mess and I was a teen, they sleep more because they are growing. Charcoal will bind with minerals. I foolishly took it at the same time as my multivitamin. And voila, it would be like popeye skipping his spinach.:eek:

I hope that makes sense.

Alisha

Couldn't help but post! I too have gas.. a lot no matter my diet. It can be tons of salad or high carb. Low Carb high protein low fat! No matter I fart fart fart. It is embarrassing. But even hubby says in morning is worse he brings me coffee in morning or fry's to kiss me bye and it bout knocks him out! Its kinda funny the way he says it. But so embarrassing. Every one know me as the gassy female. If there is a bad smell out of nowhere everyone thinks it me! I have to laugh to keep from crawling in a hole! Ha ha

I'll admit I have gas like everybody else, but luckily (so far!) not any more than your average person.

I do, however, have a medical issue that frequently has horrible (profuse and extraordinarily foul smelling) gas as a side effect. I'm super lucky that I don't have that side effect, but know many folks who do. That's how I learned about Devrom. Uncontrollable gas really can have a significant negative impact on every day life and I'm praying this side effect never really gets hold of me.

Good luck as you address this issue. I've been following this thread for tips for my friends who have this concern, so appreciate all the comments.

I will step up and admit to being a clean eater (with no medical issues or medications that cause gas) that can knock my husband off his feet with some of SBDs (that's Silent But Deadly). :eek:

I did some experimenting with my food and noticed that spinach was my culprit. If I don't eat spinach or only eat it in small quantities, I am fine. But if I eat what I would like to eat everyday, I will have uncontrollable bouts of noxious gas. I used to eat a huge spinach salad 4 night's a week and loved it but unfortunately my body (or I guess my digestive system) does not like it. Taking Beano before I eat it helps a little but I often times forget to take it so I just try to limit my spinach intake. :(

You could try doing an elimination test to see if it is a certain food.

Good luck!

Glad to see there are really others out there! Ive knocked some socks off too. My boss walked into my office after I let one go and asked me if I farted. I lied and said no -he said well it smells like something died in here. I can laugh about it now but seriously am usually in tears over it. Might have to try the devrom if my stink returns.

Lambo I told my boss it was the drain in our lab backing up lol bit I couldn't keep a straight face so he laughed and walked off then he brought Lysol in where I was ..

Ok, there are to many to quote :D. Your stories of farting in office has me dying with laughter here. :p So glad I work at home (with kids) everyone assumes its a diaper haha. Majority of time I'm not embarrassed by it, my family is used to it. However when you have two teenage boys who are starting to think your gross.... :confused:

I do frequently eat spinach. i think I will start making note in my food diary of gassy times. Hoping it will help find culprit.

I guess my concern is my parents are coming to visit in 2 weeks for oldest sons graduation. Farting was not something we said let alone did growing up. May be doing a lot of cheek squeezing. On the positive side, will help tighten those glutes!! :D

Thanks Alisha for explaining more, that was helpful!!!

Agree with the previous poster recommending an elimination diet to see if there's a particular food causing the issue.
Some insist broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and similar vegies are a cause but I don't find that true. also traditional culprit.... beans.

When I had the problem, my doctor recommended trying probiotics. Any pharmacy will have have a bunch of different products. In general, these are capsules containing favorable bacteria to give balance to the bacteria normally found in the colon. Align is one, but there are dozens more.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.