Cathe - I'm in the "I'm sick of food" lull, please help!

jsutera

Cathlete
Hey Cathe - I figure you're the best person to ask this since you always have such creative ideas for workouts, you must have creative ideas for lunch alternatives and so forth :)

I've hit the "I'm sick of food" period where all of my "go-to" lunches for the work week are soooo not appealing to me. I tend to rotate between spinach salads with beans and lots of veggies thrown in to low-carb wraps with spinach, turkey, and baby carrots on the side. I also have been good about the salads with some tuna tossed in for variety.

BUT - I'm so sick of all of those options for lunch :( I need some new, creative ideas that are easy to pack up to bring to the office. I was even considering going very alternative and having greek yogurt and an energy bar for lunch because nothing else is appealing to me and both of those options have so much protein that it'll keep me going through the afternoon.

Please help if you can!

Not Cathe... but my favorite lunch is: Romaine lettuce topped with cubed chicken breast. For a dressing I just use rice wine vinegar(no calories!). Along with the salad I have either green beans or broccoli and 1/2 cup of brown rice. For the chicken, I season each breast with TJ's 21 Seasoing Salute & bake it with a little bit of water in the baking dish.

I also like to take romaine leaves and use it as "bread" for a turkey sandwich.

HTH! Lisa

I too do the wraps and salads but another option that i like is a can of tuna mixed with lowfat cottage cheese(instead of mayo) with whole wheat crackers. Pair that with some veggies or fruit.

I've had plain or vanilla yogurt and mixed in Kashi Go Lean protein cereal and had some berries on the side.

I have been feeling the same--tired of the same old lunches. I started eating smaller servings of leftovers from the night before. I found that kept me satisfied longer and I was not looking for an afternoon snack apart from a cup of tea.

Phyllis, I was going to suggest a leftover serving of the previous night's meal. Or maybe have a breakfast meal for lunch?
How about an apple and lite string cheese?

Gayle

How about a "Mean" Smoothie?

Why not make a smoothie with everything plus the kitchen sink in it??

I usually use vanilla or strawberry Dannon Light yogurt, ice cubes, then add any or all:

blueberries
strawberries
bananas
wheat germ
flax seed
creatine
oatmeal
orange juice (any fruit juice)

The more ice, the thicker.

You get: fiber, protein, carbs, the whole works!

You can always have your favorite cracker to help fill you up if this isn't enough.:rolleyes:

Thanks ladies, all good options! I went with greek yogurt and a lower calorie protein bar, so we'll see if that works its magic for me this week!

Why not make a smoothie with everything plus the kitchen sink in it??

I usually use vanilla or strawberry Dannon Light yogurt, ice cubes, then add any or all:

blueberries
strawberries
bananas
wheat germ
flax seed
creatine
oatmeal
orange juice (any fruit juice)

wow i've never seen a smoothie recipe using oatmeal. pardon my dumb question, but do you use cooked or uncooked?

thanks!

Hey jsutera!

I was just thinking of your post because I had something out of the norm for lunch today and I really enjoyed it.

Scrambled egg whites and 1/2 cup oatmeal. Both made in the microwave at work. Easy, tasted great and I'm satisfied.

My office smells a little eggy :eek:, but other than that, totally enjoyable!

Get a copy of Clean Eating Magazine. They have great breakfast and lunch ideas and it is all the healthy stuff we want. There is a Japanese tuna/cabbage salad recipe in the most recent issue that is really great.

I hope the magazine gives you some food inspiration!

Hey jsutera!

I was just thinking of your post because I had something out of the norm for lunch today and I really enjoyed it.

Scrambled egg whites and 1/2 cup oatmeal. Both made in the microwave at work. Easy, tasted great and I'm satisfied.

My office smells a little eggy :eek:, but other than that, totally enjoyable!

That sounds good! how long do you cook it for?

When I put oatmeal in my shakes, I just throw in a handful of raw quick cooking oats. I like the thickness it adds and the flavor!
Rachel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.