Cathe - Desparate for Help!!

I just tried on an awesome pair of boots, knee high, high heel - Love them, Love them. I know it sounds crazy, but I haven't been able to wear high heels since I was a teenager due to weight issues. Now that I've lost over 100 lbs., I love to wear heels. Here's the problem, many of the knee-high boots still won't go over my calves! I could just cry with all of the hard work and time I've been putting in to reduce the size of my calves. I can get them zipped up about 3/4 of the way (and the wider calf sized boots are too big)! What can I do to reduce the size of my calves?

I have the same problem you do I came by it genetically my mom has big calves and so do I. I would love to be able to wear cute boots but unless they have the elastic stretcher at the top forget it. I know that doesn't answer your question just didn't want you to think all your hard work was in vain. Congrats on the wt. loss and don't cry, just check out the rest of your family.

I have to have mine stretched. As long as they are leather, a good shoe store will offer to stretch them for you. They can only get them to stretch so far though, but it's worth asking. Other than that, the only suggestion I have is to have them custom fit, of course, there you are probably talking some serious dough!

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Yes I lost 50 lbs and I thought I shouldn't have an issue anymore. Well I guess I just have genetically big calves.
I am not sure which boots you are trying to get, but I couldn't get the zippered ones but the pull on ones I was able to get on.

chrissy

Yes, there are definitely ways to coax them on -- I'd try that before getting them stretched -- once they're too big, they're too big. You don't want them too loose. Basically work little by little, skooching them up and zipping a little more as you go. Almost like putting nylons on.

it's not you

A clerk from my local shoe store told me once that most women can't fit their calves into the high boots that don't have any elastic. Apparently, boot makers haven't gotten the message that women who use their legs actually have calf muscles and those muscles take up space in boots. That definitely made me feel better, knowing that I didn't have especially fat calves, and that this is their problem. I hope that makes you feel a little better too!

IMO, most of calf size is due to genetics (there was a time when my calves and my thighs were about the same size!). Some bodybuilders get calf implants because they can't grow the muscle as much as they want.

I also have a hard time finding boots that aren't too tight in the calves, especially 'dressy' boots. I guess manufacturers just assume women have thin calves?

If there is some excess fat over the calves, you can probably reduce the size somewhat through the same thing that reduces other bodyfat: creating a calorie deficit though a combo of exercise and good eating.

Also, some people say that step aerobics makes their calves bigger, so you might want to cut down on it and see if it has any effect.

Unfortunately we use are calves in nearly even form of exercise...especially Cathe's! I lost about 60 lbs, and the calves was definitely the last place to see it go...and an inch at best. I feel for ya! I've hated my calves all my life, but genetics...there's nothing you can do about it.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you everbody for your responses! Oh well. I'll probably have to have them stretched if I want to wear the knee high boots. And yes, I bet those boot manufacturer's are men (all women are Twiggy's, right)????? I'll keep moving along - but the support of all of you on these forums is just awesome! Thanks again everyone!

I just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss! Wow - that is awesome. And I also wanted to add, from the other side, that you should embrace having calves. They may be bigger than you wish they were but I was just looking at pics of myself from a ride this weekend and my calves look like little sticks. No matter what I do, they are sticks and I wish I had something there. Like Kathryn said, so much of it is genetics. So, appreciate what you've got :) At least they don't look like they will snap in two if the wind blows :rolleyes: Meanwhile, I found this:

Q: What exercises will slim down my calves? I'm not a heavy person, but I have a hard time wearing those stylish knee-high boots because my calves are too big!

A: Walking is one of the best things to do to slim down your lower legs, since it lengthens the muscles between the back of the knee and the ankle. I recommend walking three times a week for 30 minutes. Stretching is also vital to lengthening any bulked-up muscles, so be sure to thoroughly stretch after you exercise. The following stretch is great for getting leaner calf muscles: Face a wall with one foot in front of the other. Your front foot should be about one foot from the wall, and your back foot should be about three feet from the wall. Keep both heels on the floor. Rest your hands on the wall in front of you and lean forward, bending your front knee. You should feel the stretch in the back leg. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds, then switch legs and repeat.

Yoga could also help, since it tones the whole body while stretching and thereby lengthening your muscles. Yoga poses such as Warrior I, II and III and Downward Facing Dog are all especially great for your calves ? check out Lifetime's Yoga Experience to get started, or pick up my book "Lose Those Last 10 Pounds," which covers basic yoga moves such as these.

There are some moves you should downplay, since they build up the calf muscles instead of lengthening them. Exercises that keep you on the balls of your feet, such as calf raises, are prime suspects; for the same reason, you should try to avoid wearing high heels. Also keep in mind that you need to burn fat in order to lose weight anywhere on your body, so make sure you fit in a cardio workout four days a week!

- Denise Austin

Jillian on Calves

Hi -
I was listening to Jillian Michaels radio show, and she had this same issue with a contestent on teh biggest loser. Jillian got into a fight with the show Dr. because he said it was impossible to reduce the size of the girls calves and Jillian fought him onit. In the end she said he was right, that she wasnt able to spot reduce the girls calves.

But, Obviously you're not alone, many of my friends have that problem too. My sister was a gymnast growing up and now she still has a hard time getting high boots that will go up her leg.

I can tell you that Steve Madden makes a lot of boots which stretch alot but will still conform to your leg. Those are ususally the ones my sister wears.

Thanks Meowracer

Thank you for that information. I am going to try and fit in more cardio. I think I need it because my lower body is getting rather bulky from STS. I switched to the STS plyo legs, and will incorporate more walking and cardo. I will say, STS kicks butt so I'm pretty tired and it's hard to fit that in with the STS program, but I need it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.