CANCER AWARENESS

dreamyjeanie

Cathlete
[FONT=&quot]Cancer Awareness,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Due to the recent loss of a fellow cathlete, I felt it was important to post about cancer awareness. We have already lost several Cathletes overs the years to cancer and others are currently battling it. Many of us have lost friends and relatives or currently have friends and relatives who going through their own journeys with this dreaded disease. Plus we have many survivors both here and in our own families or circles of friends.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I ask all of you to make it a priority to do what you can. Donate, participate, support, and listen to your body. Early detection is so important and so is funding for research. Together we can make a difference so future generations will not have to experience what we are experiencing.[/FONT]

Jean

This is a great post! Cancer is all around us. I lost my dad 10 years ago to lung cancer at the young age of 53. Stomach cancer just took the life of a close friend and he was only 33 years old. It affects so many of us. I donate to the American Cancer Society and participate in races when I can.

So long ago my grands died and my whole family on moms side has been wiped completely out. I can not understand WHY there isn't a cure yet! So many years so mucb research..seems like it would be better now days. So sad.

Having lost several loved ones to Lung Cancer, and with the fairly recent discovery of my 4yr old cousin diagnosed with Leukemia (he is in remission and doing very well!!), I donate monthly to several Cancer societies. My family participates in the Terry Fox Run as well.

I pray and have hope that one day all Cancer's will be curable.

To anyone here who has lost a loved one, gone through remission, or are fighting and battling this disease right now, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Natasha

Thanks Jean. Our Cathlete will be missed so, so much. What a beautiful soul.
I also lost my Mother-in-law to Burkitt's Lymphoma in July.
Run your heart out today, Jean, for all of us. Thank you.

In 2005 I was diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer. After two years of traditional treatment (chemo-mastectomy-radiation), I am now NED - No Evidence of Disease.

Cancer is an INCREDIBLY difficult disease to treat. It is unique to each person who has it. My Stage III breast cancer is not like anyone else's Stage III breast cancer because I am a different person. It's not like there is a blanket cure-all. Tailoring treatment to each individual seems to be the key - and the tricky part.

(Anyway, I didn't really want to get into that discussion. It's too controversial for 9:30 in the morning.)

I'm not cavalier about it anymore. It's like the end of innocence in a way - the disease may be long gone from my body but cancer is with me forever.

But there can be a happy ending sometimes.

I'm so happy for this post! I've been around for over 10 years (was on as ICUMOM but forgot so went under my email name, then remembered...see middle age brain fog!)....

I was devastated to read that Carola had died (hiitdogs)....she was always unabashedly opinionated, and sound in her facts and reasoning...I truly enjoyed reading her posts and her bravery in adversity in her life.

Funny how people say the internet takes away social interaction - as a working mother, I don't get "mom's night out" or lunches or social events...even holidays are something to get through....so forums/facebook have reconnected me with friends....and although I never met her, I liked knowing Carola was on earth with us....and I'm sad she's gone.

I hope there is a heaven, she is there with my sweet late hubby who also passed in earlyv 2010 of cancer....imagine what she can do with us now that she's an angel!

Last edited:
What???!!! I didn't know that Carola had died! That is very sad news. She was an amazing person - well read, blunt, fearless and very inspirational. Her posts always gave me something to think about. When did we lose her?

Stebby

What???!!! I didn't know that Carola had died! That is very sad news. She was an amazing person - well read, blunt, fearless and very inspirational. Her posts always gave me something to think about. When did we lose her?

Stebby

I believe she passed away in December, 2011. Prior to that we lost Chris Clarke and the most recent Cathlete (that I know of) to pass was Virginia Tate who passed away 9/20/12. All 3 to due to cancer. If anyone knows the names of other Cathletes who have passed feel free to add them.

I find it so ironic that these people who made health and fitness a priority in their lives still were struck down by this horrific disease. It just goes to show us that no one is immune and that we must be diligent in supporting causes that help raise money and awareness, so one day, losing the battle against cancer will be a thing of the past.

Jean

I'm shocked. This is horrible. I can't even think right now. It's so not fair. Why do the good die young? Why? Somebody please explain this to me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.