Came home, found my sweet baby kitty, dead

Govtgirl

Cathlete
I am devastated............sweet little fuzzy red-headed kitty named MUrphy, upstiars, looked like he was asleep afterplaying with string, dead, gone. I screamed and freaked and called my sister and petted him hoping it was all a big mistake and he would wake up.

No. He's gone., out of the blue. gone. I'm a bit tipsy I admit, he was such a sweet kitty, nothing wrong with him at all, I just came ohome and he was dead.

Prelimary resutls is "hypertrophic cardiomyopthy" or whatever it sounds like whenyou havent been drinking.

I am so sos os ossooososososooso sad. The doc said, if that is what is was, incurable if detected beforehand, but could only be dtecgted if you were looking ofr it. Meaning, there would be no way to prevent or cure it. But still, I go to work, come home, and my sweet kitty is lying upstiars dead.
I'm dying inside..........................

Oh, Govtgirl, I am SOOO sorry to hear about your baby. :( I cannot fathom how sad you must be!

I am sure your baby loved and treasured every day that he was your boy. He was a lucky kitten to have you as a parent!

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Big hugs to you! I'm so sorry for your loss. Animals are family members and losing them is extremely hard. Wish there was something more I could say or do to take your pain away.

Thank you i can just not imagine tis, I can't wrap my head around it. He was 6 years old, NOT sick, NO symptoms, NOTHING whatsoever wrong at all. I thoght.

But I come home, and he's dead, poof, gone. He totally looked like he had been playing, then laid down about to rest, and his eye were 90%closedlike he was about to sleep. I swear, this is the absoltue LAST LAST thign I could imagine coming home to.

We haveone other kitty, Ace, that doens't lknow anything is wrong yet.

I will nevernever get the sight of Murphy, dead on the rug, just lying there, out of my head. OMG ....Sorry, I just loved that kitty to peices. He was the one that felt closest to like my other kitty, miss Daisy (18 years old when she passed) I thought I had a lot of years left with Mruphy, but now he's gone. Sorry.

Sad. Tipsy. I'm allowed :^(

Last edited:
OMG, I am sooooooooooo sorry!!!!! But I feel your pain. I lost my sweet baby cat (Jasmine) 4 months ago and I still can't believe it. She was running around playing just 2 days before she died. Suddenly she would not eat and her nose looked pale. I took her right to the vet. Vet said if I didn't tell her she wasn't eating "I'd say she's perfectly healthy." The bloodwork was fine. She sent us home with a antacid. In the middle of the night I got up to check on her and she was in cardiac arrest. We rushed to the emergency vet and for hours they tried to save her. She went through hell.I have been broken hearted since. I am so sorry--Atleast he (hopefully) went peacefully unlike Jasmine who finally had to be put down. :( Linda

Last edited:
I'm so sorry!! :( I can't imagine how terrible it was for you to find her, I would be torn up. One of my little ones had a seizure (or so I thought---it turns out she had a heart attack) and she died as I was rushing her to the vet---she had cardiomyopathy as well. I was heartbroken and still get teary eyed remembering it and it's been almost ten years. I loved her so much and I know you loved your baby and it really is so hard to lose them. She was lucky to have you to care for her and give her a great life.

I'm so sorry. I lost two cats last year, one suddenly and inexplicably like your Murphy. As hard as it was to lose Slinky to cancer at least we got to be there with him when they put him to sleep and we knew we'd done everything possible, Squirt was just snatched away from us. I still miss both of them and think of them every day.

Big hugs to you. I'm so, so sorry.

Govtgirl I'm so sorry. That is such a horrible thing to come home to. But if it helps at all it sounds like maybe he went in his sleep so at least he didn't suffer. {{{Hugs}}}

I'm taking a sick day, there is no way I can go in, I can't stop crying. THank you everyone, I knew you all would understand.

The only consolation I can think is that he just looked like it happened instantly. There was no trauma, nothing. He had been playing with a cord to my shaver (not plugged in, just lying loose), because it was looped around his arm, and he was lying down and just...gone. Like he was playing, and thought "I think I'll lie down and rest" because his eyes were ever so slightly closing. It was like he went in mid-blink.

We used to call him "Sleepy-Eyed Murph" because when he was making biscuits on my arm, he would get this sleepy, dreamy look in his eyes. That's how he looked. :(

Oh, I'm so sorry! How awful that must have been! {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

No words can make you feel better, but my sympathies and prayers are with you! I know what it's like to lose a pet suddenly like that. It is very devastating!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.