Calling all 60 year old and older Cathletes

Sending (((hugs))), warm wishes and positive vibes your way, Amy. :)

Also sending congratulations for taking all those positive steps you have already taken: looking for a workout of Cathe's that suits you at this moment, actually DOING a workout and reaching out to others in the forum! Good for you. I wish you luck and hope you find all the support and resources you need to continue forward one small step at a time.

I am 65 and have been a Cathe fan since the beginning and have many VHS tapes. I keep an eye on the "daily deals" because I have been able to replace my favorites! I also have many other DVD's, but Cathe and her rotations are the best because you don't have to guess one you are doing next. I am doing STS now, and have both the strength and cardio sets. I began the series in January but had to stop so I started again from the beginning last week. I had hip replacement surgery just before Covid hit, and was healing very well, going to the gym, etc., and then we were shut down. During the shutdown I went through my entire collection and got some new ones. My goal is to get the LITE and ICE series. I have XTrain, 4 day Split, Ripped with Hitt, Strong and Sweaty also. I was building my library and it is almost compete. I learned how to modify the cardio and step routines to fit my ability. I always loved Step, but find that the intricate turns and some of the step routines are above my ability now so I just make sure to keep my heart rate up and continue to move doing the "Basic" step moves whenever it becomes too difficult. I put on 30 pounds between Covid and my hip replacement, and am trying to lose those pounds.

ActiveAggie, I can relate to replacing Cathe VHS tapes with DVDs. I’ve done the same. :)

I think modifications as needed is one of the keys to daily movement into our 60s and beyond.

For me, every day can be a bit different. As long as I respect that I’m good to go.

ActiveAggie, I enjoyed your post. I, too, have some VHS Cathe workouts ... I was doing Rhythmic Step a little bit ago and wished I had it on DVD, but decided I'd put the $ into new Cathe's. Wanted to add that I'm also doing an STS rotation and am doing the ICE & LITE series in my "active recovery" weeks .... really am enjoying them this way. And I think Cathe still has the "Bundle Mania" sale - just trying to be a "helpful" enabler ;-)

Lannette you are a very kind and wise person. Amy hang in there and trust what Lannette is saying.
Prayers are flowing your way for comfort and healing
God bless both of you
Debbie

I've also had a neck/spine injury and have had to rethink my entire workout approach which has been tough. Because I had to do things more slower paced, ironically I found that Cathe's more advanced workouts such as the strength training in RWH more suited to my needs, I just much lighter weights than Cathe. That helped get my strength back, also this series had less reps which helped. I just modified where needed. I'm not allowed to do any impact so that has put a dent in my cardio capacity. At first I was just walking, now I'm branching out my cardio a bit to step and kickboxing.

I am currently doing a mix of two types of workouts so I won't overdo it with one particular exercise. I'm alternating the STS workouts one week and then the next week I'm doing something more metabolic/circuit in nature either Cathe's or The FIRM or Jessica Smith. It'll take me 6 months to complete STS this way but there's no law against that ;). I have some workout ADHD too so the alternate week is workouts of my choosing depending on how I'm feeling so there's a little workout freedom built in for me which helps with my consistency.

My biggest adjustment has been core work b/c I'm no longer allowed to do crunches or sit ups so that doesn't leave too many exercises. I also cannot do deadlifts. So whenever those come up in a workout I just do a variety of planks or I'll do a Superman (but not the leg portion). I do planks also when Cathe does chin ups or pull ups. I also have some tricep weakness from my neck/cervical spine issue and doing straight arm planks has helped with isometric strengthening too. At one point I couldn't even do a straight arm plank b/c my arm would simply give out!

Last edited:
Stacy, sorry to hear of your injury, but also happy to hear how you've learned to adapt. I'm finishing up an STS rotation in May and switched it up too ... I like it more this way and have noticed improvements more than with the original linear progression approach. Next time, I'm thinking I'll do 3 weeks of STS and then a recovery week with the weight workouts from LITE, ICE and the BodyBlast series, and include a day of metabolic weight workouts too as I miss them when doing a straight STS rotation. It'll take a a full 4 months, but the original rotation was 3.5, so not much difference. Thanks for the tip about the RWH weight workouts - I kinda avoid them as I thought they were a little too advanced for me -- but if I lighten the weights from what I "should" be doing, they'll be fine. Just an aside - I think there is a standing core workout included in the RWH series ... may be helpful for you.

If you’re 60 or older please share your favorite Cathe WO, Series and/or Rotation.

My opinion probably doesn’t count because I’m getting back into Cathe workouts after a long break from Cathe. I’m also completing her rotations, beginning to end, for the first time. It’s sure to change as I do more WOs.

My favorite WO is Cardio & Weights and has been for years.

My favorite Cath Rotation to date is the (OIR) Official Intermediate Rotation. I’ve only done her Beginner Rotation and her OIR. I really enjoyed the variety in the OIR as compared to the beginner rotation.

I’m not sure about a Series yet. I don’t think I’ve worked through any series to the point of having an honest favorite.

What are your favorites?
Hi, I'm 61 and I have been working out with Cathe's DVDs consistently since November after a long break as well. I started using her workouts in 2005 and I've fallen off the wagon a few times. I literally have at least 80% of her DVDs and one of my all time favorites is Pyramid Lower Body. I use pretty heavy weights and the workout does get your heart rate up. You could literally bounce a quarter off my butt it's so firm. For the leg presses, I use 5 risers and barbell weight of 25, 30 and 35. For squats and lunges, I use 30, 35 and 40 lbs., and for deadlifts, I use 30, 40 and 50 lbs. I love the calf raises in this one, too. Pyramid Upper Body is great, also. I use Lean Legs and Abs and Great Glutes a couple of times a week. I've also completed half of the STS workouts and I have progressed to 80% of my one rep max. I love PHA and PHA2, also. Some of my other favorites are Perfect HIIT Low impact HIIT, Flex Train, Turbo Barre, and ICE Low Impact Sweat. I don't like high impact cardio because it tends to bother my knees, hips and back. What are some of your favorite cardio workouts by Cathe? I'm not familiar with the "OIR" so any information would be greatly appreciated.

How nice to find this thread! I'm 58 and returning to Cathe workouts after several years of not working out. I'm in the process of deciding on a plan with the workouts I have but I'm wondering if anyone here has the metabolic workouts and how you like those; Metabolic Total Body and Metabolic Blast? I started out with The Firm workouts back in the nineties too, replaced my VHS with DVD's. Still love those oldies and I'm using those as my gateway to Cathe again.
I'm 61 and I think a lot of us more mature ladies did start out with The Firm. I had all of the VHS tapes and then purchased DVDs of my favorite Firm workouts. I can't jump like I used to so I like Cathe's low impact cardio workouts best. Lite Cardio Party, Lean Legs and Abs and Great Glutes as well as PHA, PHA2 and PHA3 gives me that cardio with weights type workout I was used to doing with the Firm. Pyramid Lower Body also gets my heart rate up nicely. I also like Metabolic Total Body.

I've also had a neck/spine injury and have had to rethink my entire workout approach which has been tough. Because I had to do things more slower paced, ironically I found that Cathe's more advanced workouts such as the strength training in RWH more suited to my needs, I just much lighter weights than Cathe. That helped get my strength back, also this series had less reps which helped. I just modified where needed. I'm not allowed to do any impact so that has put a dent in my cardio capacity. At first I was just walking, now I'm branching out my cardio a bit to step and kickboxing.

I am currently doing a mix of two types of workouts so I won't overdo it with one particular exercise. I'm alternating the STS workouts one week and then the next week I'm doing something more metabolic/circuit in nature either Cathe's or The FIRM or Jessica Smith. It'll take me 6 months to complete STS this way but there's no law against that ;). I have some workout ADHD too so the alternate week is workouts of my choosing depending on how I'm feeling so there's a little workout freedom built in for me which helps with my consistency.

My biggest adjustment has been core work b/c I'm no longer allowed to do crunches or sit ups so that doesn't leave too many exercises. I also cannot do deadlifts. So whenever those come up in a workout I just do a variety of planks or I'll do a Superman (but not the leg portion). I do planks also when Cathe does chin ups or pull ups. I also have some tricep weakness from my neck/cervical spine issue and doing straight arm planks has helped with isometric strengthening too. At one point I couldn't even do a straight arm plank b/c my arm would simply give out!
I broke my neck in a car accident when I was in my 20s and I have had a couple of back surgeries so I avoid high impact workouts. With the STS Plyo Legs workouts, I do jumping jacks or pushups (on my knees) when she is doing the high impact exercises. What are the best low impact cardio/cardio with weights workouts in your opinion? BTW, what is RWH?

I am 65 and have been a Cathe fan since the beginning and have many VHS tapes. I keep an eye on the "daily deals" because I have been able to replace my favorites! I also have many other DVD's, but Cathe and her rotations are the best because you don't have to guess one you are doing next. I am doing STS now, and have both the strength and cardio sets. I began the series in January but had to stop so I started again from the beginning last week. I had hip replacement surgery just before Covid hit, and was healing very well, going to the gym, etc., and then we were shut down. During the shutdown I went through my entire collection and got some new ones. My goal is to get the LITE and ICE series. I have XTrain, 4 day Split, Ripped with Hitt, Strong and Sweaty also. I was building my library and it is almost compete. I learned how to modify the cardio and step routines to fit my ability. I always loved Step, but find that the intricate turns and some of the step routines are above my ability now so I just make sure to keep my heart rate up and continue to move doing the "Basic" step moves whenever it becomes too difficult. I put on 30 pounds between Covid and my hip replacement, and am trying to lose those pounds.
I'm trying to lose 30 lbs. of menopause weight. I have about 80% of Cathe's workouts. I can do Basic Step but my lack of coordination doesn't allow me to do the very intricate step routines. I am also doing STS and just finished Disc 27. The Plyo Legs are hard especially on someone who suffered a broken neck when she was in her 20s and who has had a couple of back surgeries not to mention being 61 years old. I tend to go for low impact and high reps with light weights for cardio. I assume Ripped with HIIT is high impact. Do you have any suggestions for low impact cardio?

I’m enjoying reading everyone’s successes.

I’ve been really lucky. My chiropractor and I were able to reduce my herniated discs by realigning the posture problems that most likely caused them. Amazingly she didn’t do a single neck adjustment, actually almost no adjustments.

My only residual damage is a bit of permanent nerve damage at the tip of my index finger on my left hand.

I initially used Cathe workouts, at first beginner then more advanced. Cathe’s attention to form and workout progression was so helpful.

I’ve been doing Pilates since around the first of the year. I was incapable of doing this before building back up with Cathe. It’s helped me improve small muscle control. I do plan to get back to more Cathe at some point but for now Pilates has been helping me to continue to realign my body. In doing this I’ve reversed some limitations from very old injuries.

My neck injury was, in some ways a gift that provided a better body in which to spend my elder years.

I’ve found that concentrating on what I can do versus worrying about what I can’t do has been really helpful. The more I concentrated on what I could do the more things discovered that I could safely do.

ActiveAggie, I enjoyed your post. I, too, have some VHS Cathe workouts ... I was doing Rhythmic Step a little bit ago and wished I had it on DVD, but decided I'd put the $ into new Cathe's. Wanted to add that I'm also doing an STS rotation and am doing the ICE & LITE series in my "active recovery" weeks .... really am enjoying them this way. And I think Cathe still has the "Bundle Mania" sale - just trying to be a "helpful" enabler ;-)
Yes, I take advantage of the coupons whenever I buy. That is how I got XTrain, Ripped with HiiT, Strong and Sweaty, 4 Day Split. I check every day for LITE or ICE. I want the complete series when I buy. I got lucky with the STS series too; I purchased on the Daily Deals and applied the bundle coupon! I also got the STS cardio series. Cathe offers the best deals around for her DVDs.

I'm 61 and I think a lot of us more mature ladies did start out with The Firm. I had all of the VHS tapes and then purchased DVDs of my favorite Firm workouts. I can't jump like I used to so I like Cathe's low impact cardio workouts best. Lite Cardio Party, Lean Legs and Abs and Great Glutes as well as PHA, PHA2 and PHA3 gives me that cardio with weights type workout I was used to doing with the Firm. Pyramid Lower Body also gets my heart rate up nicely. I also like Metabolic Total Body.
I'm trying to lose 30 lbs. of menopause weight. I have about 80% of Cathe's workouts. I can do Basic Step but my lack of coordination doesn't allow me to do the very intricate step routines. I am also doing STS and just finished Disc 27. The Plyo Legs are hard especially on someone who suffered a broken neck when she was in her 20s and who has had a couple of back surgeries not to mention being 61 years old. I tend to go for low impact and high reps with light weights for cardio. I assume Ripped with HIIT is high impact. Do you have any suggestions for low impact cardio?
When jumping is called for, I raise up on my toes, and make sure that I move my arms as much as possible! I wear my fitness watch, and keep an eye on my heart rate. I am always able to get my heart rate up using this method no matter what moves Cathe is doing. I mimic her as much as possible, always listening to my body. It was suggested to me to wear a weight vest and do the Squat Rack version in Meso 3. So I already have a 4 lb. vest that I plan to attach my ankle and wrist weights to and it will bring it to 10 lbs. which is what Cathe is using, I was told.

RWH is Ripped With HiiT. I do mostly kickboxing for my cardio. I also do some metabolic workouts with just 1 lb weights for cardio. I like doing the step and the low impact segments from X10. I still struggle with trying to get in a good cardio workout. I'm not supposed to raise my arms over my head much so that takes out alot of the cardio intensity of some workouts and I can't do heavy weight training for lower body so that is a bit frustrating too. I will sometimes do a Cathe lower body weight workout for a low impact "cardio" workout. And, add vertigo to my struggles, so no workouts that are alternating up and down off the floor! I'm becoming all too aware of how important diet is to trying to lose this 20 lb menopausal weight gain.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, RWH does have a low impact HIIT for cardio - in fact there are 2 separate workouts on the DVD ... they can be combined for a longer workout if wanted via a premix. This was the first RWH workout we purchased (we now have all, except the Plyo HIIT).

I'm 67 and I just started a few weeks ago. Most of her workouts I can adapt to my level but I tried Power Hour yesterday and I had to quit at the shoulders. Even with no weight on the barbells it is just too hard for me. Just the barbell is plenty heavy. Who knows maybe someday I will be strong enough to do it but not now.

I'm 67 and I just started a few weeks ago. Most of her workouts I can adapt to my level but I tried Power Hour yesterday and I had to quit at the shoulders. Even with no weight on the barbells it is just too hard for me. Just the barbell is plenty heavy. Who knows maybe someday I will be strong enough to do it but not now.
jsallis - my shoulders were my weakest area, for years and years, decades .... I had trouble using 4 & 5# dumbbells for shoulder work; I also had shoulder repair surgery and dreaded shoulder work. However, a couple of years ago I did the official Xtrain 90-day undulating rotation and included the extra rear delt shoulder work bonus Cathe had put in the Xtrain series and the 100 rep challenges .... my oh my ... my shoulders improved greatly with that rotation. I was so impressed with the results I got from it! I realized that with the regular UB workouts, the extra rear delt bonus chapter, doing the 100 rep challenges in the series, and a metabolic workout each week really worked my shoulders. I'm still impressed with my shoulder improvements from that series. So, even through you may struggle now, it can get better if you work at it (I'm 65, improvements are possible even as we get older). And Power Hour is endurance based, so there are lots of reps -- shoulders get quite the workout! So, you will get stronger with consistent workout!

I am 60 and having been working out with Cathe pretty consistently for many years. I own pretty much every workout she has produced. Although my skin is aging and my body is changing in more ways than I would like in terms of external appearance :rolleyes:;) , my fitness level and my health on the inside has never been better. I am lifting heavier and feeling better in terms of cardio - as long as I take my rest days and do lots and lots of stretching. I personally feel that age is not the biggest factor in determining how intense to go with one's workout choices - it is more a matter of matching the workouts, number of rest days, number of high impact days and intensity level to how you are feeling that day, your medical history and/or current issues, your goals and your fitness level.

My favorite series is XTrain. I am currently doing the 90 day rotation and having a blast. There is so much variety in those workouts - almost no moves are repeated. I love the music, the longer stretch segments and the fact that it is a compete package - heavy weights, lighter weights, steady state cardio, low impact hiit, high impact hiit... It has it all. Cross training at it's best! Cross training is critical at any age, but especially important at my age when I don't want to overdo it. At this point I don't have any physical restrictions so I can work pretty hard, but it is easy to modify the workouts using lighter weights, shorter premixes, etc. if you need to.
Very well said and spot on for me too. I'm going to try XTrain I 've been doing the STS Strength Meso over and over and really getting some awesome definition! Love that Hypertrophy & Strength Meso Cycles!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.