Calling all 60 year old and older Cathletes

Lannette

Cathlete
If you’re 60 or older please share your favorite Cathe WO, Series and/or Rotation.

My opinion probably doesn’t count because I’m getting back into Cathe workouts after a long break from Cathe. I’m also completing her rotations, beginning to end, for the first time. It’s sure to change as I do more WOs.

My favorite WO is Cardio & Weights and has been for years.

My favorite Cath Rotation to date is the (OIR) Official Intermediate Rotation. I’ve only done her Beginner Rotation and her OIR. I really enjoyed the variety in the OIR as compared to the beginner rotation.

I’m not sure about a Series yet. I don’t think I’ve worked through any series to the point of having an honest favorite.

What are your favorites?

I am 60 and having been working out with Cathe pretty consistently for many years. I own pretty much every workout she has produced. Although my skin is aging and my body is changing in more ways than I would like in terms of external appearance :rolleyes:;) , my fitness level and my health on the inside has never been better. I am lifting heavier and feeling better in terms of cardio - as long as I take my rest days and do lots and lots of stretching. I personally feel that age is not the biggest factor in determining how intense to go with one's workout choices - it is more a matter of matching the workouts, number of rest days, number of high impact days and intensity level to how you are feeling that day, your medical history and/or current issues, your goals and your fitness level.

My favorite series is XTrain. I am currently doing the 90 day rotation and having a blast. There is so much variety in those workouts - almost no moves are repeated. I love the music, the longer stretch segments and the fact that it is a compete package - heavy weights, lighter weights, steady state cardio, low impact hiit, high impact hiit... It has it all. Cross training at it's best! Cross training is critical at any age, but especially important at my age when I don't want to overdo it. At this point I don't have any physical restrictions so I can work pretty hard, but it is easy to modify the workouts using lighter weights, shorter premixes, etc. if you need to.

Thanks for your reply Jane. I agree with what you wrote on Fitness and age.

I probably own 75% of Cathe’s DVDs. I started back in her VHS days and repurchased the DVD versions of the Tapes where available. Back in those days there were no rotations other than the 90 Day Firm Rotation. I’ll be 65 next month.

I was super advanced at one point but now am an odd mix of intermediate in some things, advanced in others as I come back from a pretty serious non-fitness related neck injury. I’m working on evening it out.

My one rule for my neck is no straining so I’m currently limited to a max 35 pound Barbell and strangely 7 pound DBs for triceps but 12-20 pounds for everything else. Oh well, it was initially 1 pound for triceps. :oops:

I only own 4 of the Xtrain DVDs. Have you done that rotation before?

If any other 60+ Cathletes want to answer my original question please feel free. I’m honestly looking only for your favorite Cathe Workout, Series and/or Rotation.

Editing to say that I’m happy to read anything additional you want to share - it’s all good - but if you only want to post the basics that’s ok too.

Last edited:
Hi Lanette, I'm 61 years old and have been working out with Cathe for years. Of course, I've had to adjust many of the high impact workouts by either using a trampoline or adding a weighted vest and modifying the move to a lower impact version. So my favorites are: Xtrain, Strong and Sweaty, Step Boss and I like doing the lower impact step workouts like Low Max, Low Impact Step (older workout) and I do enjoy STS Total Body since it's a complete total body workout that I can do 3x per week. It's an interesting question because I have 99% of Cathe's DVD and just love all of them. Oh gosh, STS Strength Series is another favorite. :)

Workout, thank you for sharing. Can you share how you use your rebounder? Which Workouts? I did kickbox from 4 Day Split the other day and there were half a billion jumping jacks. I actually like jumping but not that much, especially on old shoes.

I thought about using the rebounder but felt like I’d be jumping on and off like a lunatic. My rebounder is 49” big so I might be able to do some kickboxing moves on it.

You’ve listed some of my favorite workouts! I love STS Total Body! I own STS - bought before my injury. Now doing it is an ultimate goal.

Great thread! I’m 51 but already have chronic low pack/hip pain. Loved the ICE series. Recently added LITE and doing the first rotation. Next an ICE/Lite Rotation . Still very much intermediate but hoping/trying to work up to more advanced workouts like XTrain (next on my list)and more. Making sure to do extended stretches and rest days. Would love to do STS but Limited on space.

Workout, thank you for sharing. Can you share how you use your rebounder? Which Workouts? I did kickbox from 4 Day Split the other day and there were half a billion jumping jacks. I actually like jumping but not that much, especially on old shoes.

I thought about using the rebounder but felt like I’d be jumping on and off like a lunatic. My rebounder is 49” big so I might be able to do some kickboxing moves on it.

You’ve listed some of my favorite workouts! I love STS Total Body! I own STS - bought before my injury. Now doing it is an ultimate goal.
Hi Lanette, anytime there is a move like split jumps, jumping jacks, plie squats I'll do it on the rebounder. You may bounce a little more but the more you use it, more control you will have. Even those moves, not sure what Cathe calls them can't remember now but I think it's "tuck jumps" and "angel jumps, where your legs and arms open up when you jump, I do all of those on the rebounder. At the beginning, I would try the move on the rebounder if it didn't feel right, I would modify it to make it low impact on the floor. Let me know how it works out for you - I'm pretty sure it will help and still get a great workout. Good luck.

Great thread! I’m 51 but already have chronic low pack/hip pain. Loved the ICE series. Recently added LITE and doing the first rotation. Next an ICE/Lite Rotation . Still very much intermediate but hoping/trying to work up to more advanced workouts like XTrain (next on my list)and more. Making sure to do extended stretches and rest days. Would love to do STS but Limited on space.
Thank you so much for sharing! I own both ICE and LITE and have Cathe’s rotation using them together and separately on my list. I love Cathe’s extended stretches.

Hi Lanette, anytime there is a move like split jumps, jumping jacks, plie squats I'll do it on the rebounder. You may bounce a little more but the more you use it, more control you will have. Even those moves, not sure what Cathe calls them can't remember now but I think it's "tuck jumps" and "angel jumps, where your legs and arms open up when you jump, I do all of those on the rebounder. At the beginning, I would try the move on the rebounder if it didn't feel right, I would modify it to make it low impact on the floor. Let me know how it works out for you - I'm pretty sure it will help and still get a great workout. Good luck.
Thank you for sharing this. It’s going to be really helpful.

I just turned 63 and I've been doing Cathe videos since the mid-90s. I also stared when she had VHS, lol! My all time favorite is the STS series. Just finished the 3.5 month rotation and just started this week the 90 day undulating XTrain 90 day program.
My favorite workouts are Butts and Guts and Turbo Barre.

I am 60 and having been working out with Cathe pretty consistently for many years. I own pretty much every workout she has produced. Although my skin is aging and my body is changing in more ways than I would like in terms of external appearance :rolleyes:;) , my fitness level and my health on the inside has never been better. I am lifting heavier and feeling better in terms of cardio - as long as I take my rest days and do lots and lots of stretching. I personally feel that age is not the biggest factor in determining how intense to go with one's workout choices - it is more a matter of matching the workouts, number of rest days, number of high impact days and intensity level to how you are feeling that day, your medical history and/or current issues, your goals and your fitness level.

My favorite series is XTrain. I am currently doing the 90 day rotation and having a blast. There is so much variety in those workouts - almost no moves are repeated. I love the music, the longer stretch segments and the fact that it is a compete package - heavy weights, lighter weights, steady state cardio, low impact hiit, high impact hiit... It has it all. Cross training at it's best! Cross training is critical at any age, but especially important at my age when I don't want to overdo it. At this point I don't have any physical restrictions so I can work pretty hard, but it is easy to modify the workouts using lighter weights, shorter premixes, etc. if you need to.
I do lots of stretching as well and am lifting heavier. I like variation and mixing weights with cardio and feel very strong. I take my rest days when my body tells me to, usually once a week. I love yoga workouts and try to do them once or twice a week. I wish Cathe would make more yoga videos. :):cool::D

If you’re 60 or older please share your favorite Cathe WO, Series and/or Rotation.

My opinion probably doesn’t count because I’m getting back into Cathe workouts after a long break from Cathe. I’m also completing her rotations, beginning to end, for the first time. It’s sure to change as I do more WOs.

My favorite WO is Cardio & Weights and has been for years.

My favorite Cath Rotation to date is the (OIR) Official Intermediate Rotation. I’ve only done her Beginner Rotation and her OIR. I really enjoyed the variety in the OIR as compared to the beginner rotation.

I’m not sure about a Series yet. I don’t think I’ve worked through any series to the point of having an honest favorite.

What are your favorites?
Hello fellow oldie but goodie because we workout,
I'm 70, and my favorite of Cathe's series is Ripped with Hiit. I really think she hit her high mark with that series and always reach for them. I also love her PHA programs from her more recent offerings and still find Afterburn one of her best.
For cardio only Intensity, Crossfire and To the Max does it for me. I always liked Cardio and Weights so thanks for reminding me about it......I'll pull it out and do it this week. Thanks.

Hello fellow oldie but goodie because we workout,
I'm 70, and my favorite of Cathe's series is Ripped with Hiit. I really think she hit her high mark with that series and always reach for them. I also love her PHA programs from her more recent offerings and still find Afterburn one of her best.
For cardio only Intensity, Crossfire and To the Max does it for me. I always liked Cardio and Weights so thanks for reminding me about it......I'll pull it out and do it this week. Thanks.
Thanks so much for your response. I never even thought about RWH because I automatically figured it would be totally impossible. I just looked at the descriptions and clips and really like what I see! I also like the PHA WOs.

Thank you for posting. Doing STS is a long term goal for me. I was kind of thinking it was a pipe dream but as I complete a month of 4 Day Split I think it will actually happen. I RWH. The others I have or just purchased. It’s going to be a very Cathe 65th B-day for me. ;) Thanks again!

Hi Lannette,
I've been following this post but haven't responded because I don't have a favorite series or workout - I like 'em all, some more than others. I will be 64 this year. I don't consider myself an advanced excerciser but after getting back into it after a long break, I consider myself an advanced intermediate. I'm completing the 90-day undulating Xtrain rotation this month (week 10 this week), and have found it very enjoyable. You can easily modify it to your needs. I did STS last summer - it is also modifiable as you use your one-rep max results to determine what weight to use ( same as Xtrain). If you ordered Xtrain when it went on the daily deal combined with the series sale, you might consider doing the same with STS. It is achievable. Best wishes on your fitness journey ;-)

Thank you for sharing Debinme. Yes, I did order Xtrain yesterday. I own STS. I bought it used before I hurt my neck and then couldn’t lift weights. I’ll admit I’m a bit unsure of the 1 rep max calculations. It’s good to know you can use it with Xtrain too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.