Calling all 60 year old and older Cathletes

Thank you for sharing! I’m on my third month of using a template I created from an old Cathe rotation. I Choose and fill in the workouts for the month before the month begins. I do Kundalini Yoga daily as a pre-warm-up or on rest days active recovery. (We have a lot in common.)
My workouts for last month are HERE.

I’ve really enjoyed the consistency along with the variety. It’s really getting me back to my previous fitness level and beyond.

Did you create your written list of chapters for each DVD? I should at least make some notes. I’ve been doing the workouts full out but need to explore the premixes.

I’m 65 now but looking forward to working out to age 70 and beyond! Thanks for the inspiration.
I got the rotation from Cathe's workout guide for Fit Tower. You should be able to expand screen to see it or go to Shop Cathe and look for Users Guide - Fit Tower.
1596984058079.png

I'm 59 and after years of on and off finally got back to regular workouts last November. I started with STS because I wanted to build my strength back up. I've had long time knee issues and my lower back has to be babied. So, some things I modify to low impact and the only dead lifts I ever do are one legged because I can keep my back straight. I love IMAX 4 and Step Sync, but I have pretty much every DVD and I'm trying to mix it up a lot more.

My favorite DVDs are Butts and Guts, Gym Style, Slow and Heavy, Pyramid, Barre, XTrain Legs, .....So many I love.
These are definitely some of my favs! They are serious stuff. Tough, results based workouts are what I enjoy most - they give you a real sense of accomplishment. I love the variety and knowing that whichever of these I choose it is time well spent.

Whenever it's one I haven't done in awhile , I usually feel so pumped after I wonder why I haven't been using that particular workout again.
That's how I feel! I did Circuit Blast a couple of days ago and went, 'Wow! This is great, I should do it more often'. Then the next night I did Drill Max and said the same thing!

Hello fellow oldie but goodie because we workout,
I'm 70, and my favorite of Cathe's series is Ripped with Hiit. I really think she hit her high mark with that series and always reach for them. I also love her PHA programs from her more recent offerings and still find Afterburn one of her best.
For cardio only Intensity, Crossfire and To the Max does it for me. I always liked Cardio and Weights so thanks for reminding me about it......I'll pull it out and do it this week. Thanks.
Wow, I hope I can do RWH, Crossfire, To the Max and Afterburn at 70. I have a hard time with them at 55. Some of Cathe's toughest WOs, but I agree, great ones. I have to be rested up and motivated to do these ones, but what a sense of accomplishment afterwards. I can't pick a favorite series or WO, they're all so fantastic.

Thank you for sharing! I’m on my third month of using a template I created from an old Cathe rotation. I Choose and fill in the workouts for the month before the month begins. I do Kundalini Yoga daily as a pre-warm-up or on rest days active recovery. (We have a lot in common.)
My workouts for last month are HERE.

I’ve really enjoyed the consistency along with the variety. It’s really getting me back to my previous fitness level and beyond.

Did you create your written list of chapters for each DVD? I should at least make some notes. I’ve been doing the workouts full out but need to explore the premixes.

I’m 65 now but looking forward to working out to age 70 and beyond! Thanks for the inspiration.
yes created my own list of chapters details/including number of reps
thank you for your workouts list

Thanks for the suggestion's, placed an order today. I'm anxious to see a newer Cathe workout. I've done The Firm Workouts so many times I have them memorized. Whenever I've had to take a break from workouts, The Firms are still the ones I start back with because they're so familiar.

I did a Firm workout the other day after MANY years and was surprised at how familiar it was. I did Maximum Body Shaping with Tracy Long. I was even reminded how much I hate the long intro that you can't fast forward through! But I still like the workout. :)

I did a Firm workout the other day after MANY years and was surprised at how familiar it was. I did Maximum Body Shaping with Tracy Long. I was even reminded how much I hate the long intro that you can't fast forward through! But I still like the workout. :)
Funny you should respond with this. I’m in the process of pulling together a template style Firm 90 day rotation. I’m not sure I’ll do the whole thing completely with Firms. That’s the joy of using a template. Anyway, I’m doing a test week soon and Maximum Body Shaping is one of the WOs I’m considering using. I’m trying to remember if that’s the WO where Tracy says; “Here comes the happy couple.” :)

Funny you should respond with this. I’m in the process of pulling together a template style Firm 90 day rotation. I’m not sure I’ll do the whole thing completely with Firms. That’s the joy of using a template. Anyway, I’m doing a test week soon and Maximum Body Shaping is one of the WOs I’m considering using. I’m trying to remember if that’s the WO where Tracy says; “Here comes the happy couple.” :)
Yes! It is. It made me laugh. Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot I don't get to the forums often (obviously). :)

Hi everyone! I'll be 63 in a few weeks and I've worked out with Cathe since 2001, but took a (too long!) hiatus from all workouts a few years back due to health and personal issues. I'm still not back to doing much cardio except for walking workouts, but my strength training has really improved using Cathe's Strong & Sweaty workouts, plus her XTrain series, which I LOVE! I also love the oldies but goodies like her Gym Style workouts and the Body Blast series.

I have degenerative changes in both hips and my pelvis, and my knees have been a hot mess for decades, but when I move I feel better, hands down. LOTS of stretching before and after is the secret for me. I try to workout every single day, even if it's only a two mile walking workout. I aim for strength training workouts four days a week. When life gets in the way, I'll sacrifice a walking workout instead of a strength training workout. I just love them more! Always have.

Because of the pandemic, I'm now working from home permanently (HOORAY!), so that gives me plenty of flexibility to walk across the hall and do a workout in the morning, about an hour and a half after breakfast, which has always been my best time to workout in terms of energy and flexibility.

I don't really follow set rotations because most of the cardio workouts in them I simply can't do yet, or I can only do part of the workout, so I get frustrated and don't feel I've really put in a decent workout. Instead, I make up my own rotations, alternating Cathe series each week to mix it up.

I am heading towards 67 and my ability to jump like I used to is over. I only use 4 to 6 in risers for step cardio. I took a long break and am just now trying to get fit again.

I did a Cathe video at You Tube for older or beginners and I really enjoyed it. For so long I have pushed my body and it is beginning to say "No"!

After COVID I got depressed, gained weight and now have zero self esteem.

Sorry I am whining. I should be thankful because I have it better than a lot of people my age.

.... After COVID I got depressed, gained weight and now have zero self esteem.

Sorry I am whining. I should be thankful because I have it better than a lot of people my age.
Sorry to hear you're going thru a difficult time. I often say we're all entitled to "whine" for awhile ... it's part of the grieving process, but to not get stuck in doing it as that leads to depression. So in addition to fitness goals, perhaps set some goals to improve your feelings about yourself and include goals for other areas of life that can help you feel better about yourself. Just a thought ... best wishes.

I am heading towards 67 and my ability to jump like I used to is over. I only use 4 to 6 in risers for step cardio. I took a long break and am just now trying to get fit again.

I did a Cathe video at You Tube for older or beginners and I really enjoyed it. For so long I have pushed my body and it is beginning to say "No"!

After COVID I got depressed, gained weight and now have zero self esteem.

Amy,
I’m heading toward 66 and have been making a happily successful comeback from a neck injury.

I understand how much more daunting the idea of making any return to fitness feels when we’re older.

Those YouTube videos of Cathe’s are great! Good for you for taking that first step!
All your years of fitness expertise will help smooth out the road to reclaiming your fitness.

Do you have any particular plan in mind?

Amy,
I’m heading toward 66 and have been making a happily successful comeback from a neck injury.

I understand how much more daunting the idea of making any return to fitness feels when we’re older.

Those YouTube videos of Cathe’s are great! Good for you for taking that first step!
All your years of fitness expertise will help smooth out the road to reclaiming your fitness.

I had sterioid injections into a trigger point that was affecting my shoulder mobility and it worked so well. Then I got pneumonia. It wasn't COVID. It was some viral pneumonia found incidentally on a CT scan with contrast for something else. I immediately went to a pulmonologist who had more scans that revealed no change in the nodule but a ground glass opacity had appeared. I went back a month later and the pneumonia area had resolved.

I just can't do it anymore. "My body is saying stop torturing yourself."

I now binge eat and spend most of my days sitting doing nothing. Days turn into nights turn into days.

I have had depression my entire life and have taken so many different meds that may or may not work a while.

I broke my left wrist doing step cardio 4 years ago. Since then I am afraid to do anything on a riser above 4 inches.
Amy,

I had sterioid injections into a trigger point that was affecting my shoulder mobility and it worked so well. Then I got pneumonia. It wasn't COVID. It was some viral pneumonia found incidentally on a CT scan with contrast for something else. I immediately went to a pulmonologist who had more scans that revealed no change in the nodule but a ground glass opacity had appeared. I went back a month later and the pneumonia area had resolved.

I just can't do it anymore. "My body is saying stop torturing yourself."

I now binge eat and spend most of my days sitting doing nothing. Days turn into nights turn into days.

I have had depression my entire life and have taken so many different meds that may or may not work a while.

I broke my left wrist doing step cardio 4 years ago. Since then I am afraid to do anything on a riser above 4 inches.
Amy,
I’m really sorry that you’re caught up in this cycle. Having dealt with depression your entire life you know better than I know if you need to call your doctor about medications or medication changes so I’ll leave that decision to you.

Pneumonia really takes away both your energy and endurance. You mentioned your body not wanting to be tortured any longer. Your body just may be tired from healing.

It sounded like you enjoyed that Cathe YouTube workout but did it leave you exhausted afterwards? If so there’s nothing wrong with starting more slowly.

I’ll share with you that initially, after my injury I started out walking around my yard, 5 minutes at a time a few times an hour. My goal was to manage 1mile/2,000 steps a day.

It was a far drop from my past workouts but it was what my body was capable of. I decided to stop worrying about about what I couldn’t do and concentrate on what I could do. What I could do grew pretty quickly.

So please don’t be worried about starting out right where your body needs to be.

There’s also absolutely nothing wrong with a 4” step, though I couldn’t even manage that initially. You may not want to either after having had pneumonia. That’s also fine.

I hope you get a good nights sleep. I wish I had more to offer you.

Lannette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.