Brittany Spears

I am not familiar with Sarah Silverman, just heard about her when she was making fun of Paris going to jail. But I agree, flat out mean does not = funny and gets old, too.

i know sarah silverman goes for that WOW! factor of controversy but that was particularly in bad taste but that is JMO!i don't have a problem with britney's "looks" but she could use some more material and i don't mean song writing LOL but then again JMO!i don't mind the shaved head, i had that myself, along with the purple hair, the mowhawk, the pixie do etc. i don't think making drastic changes to your look is a bad thing but being tasteful should always compliment that.

i do feel bad for her but then again the true victims are the kids in this. a dad that seems to hop and not holding steady work and she is just a wreck and she is obviously a mess and not sure where to go,i think the divorce has devastated and beaten her down.i really really hope she can turn around and be a success story if anything, then for the kids.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/276676894.jpg

she looked a little bit like a corpse up there. did she even bother to actually lip-synch? I saw a feed on the internet- kind of hard to tell. I don't know if I actually feel bad for her, though. I know it sounds awful, but seems to me she brings most of her issues on herself. In fact, it almost makes me kind of happy to see her star has fallen. Now maybe Paris and Lindsay will start spiralling downward as well. Ah, I can only dream.

Did you all see this: http://www.mtv.ca/news/article.jhtml?id=3339

I'll paste it here:
"Britney Spears VMA Performance Removed from MTV Repeats and Online
MTV has been forced to remove the Britney Spears' 'Gimme More' performance from the 2007 VMA's last night from all repeats and online.

The performance has been pulled indefinitely from all MTV properties worldwide until further notice.

This performance was the subject of much discussion and negative feedback from all over the web and blogosphere."

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=teal font size=+1]***Lainie***

http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html

"The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself." -- Mark Twain[/font]

Okay, so I just start to feel bad for Brittany and BHAM, she's out AFTER the awards show sans skivies. HELLO, did you not just see the face Sarah just made of your yohoo??? There are plenty of decent Hollywood mom's out there that know how to behave with some dignity, like Jennifer Garner and Reese Witherspoon. Brittany has been a great "how not to behave" lesson for my 12yo DD. That said, I do worry that this much negative attention for Brittany may cause her to plummet and do something bad to herself. Girl needs a good doctor, get her stabilized and back to reality.

Lainie - I just tried to show my DH the clip from last night and found saw that article. Really weird. All of the clips have been removed from Youtube as well.

An article about Brit-brit...

Seems like it was an historic appearance and not in a good way.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070911...4&printer=1;_ylt=AnTrzsZOgVNrz6cauigd9j8nHL8C

Harshest words saved for Britney's body By JOCELYN NOVECK, AP National Writer
Tue Sep 11, 1:18 AM ET

The consensus is clear: Britney Spears performed like she was sloshing blindfolded through mud at MTV's Video Music Awards. No one disputes that the troubled pop princess royally mangled her much-heralded comeback.

But what about the nastiest comments of all — those about her body? "Lard and Clear," read Monday's headline in the New York Post. "The bulging belly she was flaunting was SO not hot," wrote E! Online. And so on.

Was it fair? Did Spears, lest we forget a mother of two, deserve to be held up against the standard of her once fantastically toned abs, sculpted by sessions of 1,000 tummy crunches? Or was she asking for it by choosing that unforgiving black-sequined bikini?

More profoundly, in an age where skinny models and skeletal actresses are under scrutiny for the message they're sending young girls, what does it say that we're excoriating a young woman for a little thickness in her middle?

Certainly people were curious to see her. The show drew 7.1 million viewers Sunday, up 23 percent over last year's VMAs, and was the highest-rated cable program of the year among people aged 12 to 34, according to Nielsen Media Research.

On the morning after what the VH1 channel called Spears' "already historic" performance, the blogosphere was buzzing with opinions. For every "fat" comment there was an impassioned retort. "Give her a break," wrote one blogger on Aboutthink.com. "The girl's had two kids — I hope I'm a size 10 after having kids!"

"OK, she isn't fat," wrote another. "But she isn't fit enough to be wearing (or not wearing) what she is."

For many observers, the issue was not so much the body, but the body in THAT outfit.

"In that ensemble, you just can't have an ounce of anything extra," said Janice Min, editor of the celebrity magazine US Weekly. "Many women wouldn't eat for days if they were wearing that."

"Did she look better than 99 percent of women? Yes," added Min. "But compared to her earlier form, she probably didn't look as good."

Besides, said Min, "Britney Spears has always been about the whole package. It's never been 100 percent about the talent. Is it sexist? Probably, but she's built a career on an image of sexiness."

Talk of Spears' physique comes amid an increasingly critical focus on overly skinny actresses in Hollywood, who've largely replaced supermodels as the world's fashion plates. It's hard to pick up a celebrity magazine without a critical photo of, say, Angelina Jolie's birdlike arms. And curvy actresses are getting positive attention, from Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson of "Dreamgirls" to Golden Globe-winner America Ferrara of TV's "Ugly Betty."

In the fashion industry, there's been an effort to promote healthier-looking models. "Girls aren't looking as skinny this season as they did," said Suze Yalof Scwhartz, executive editor-at-large for Glamour Magazine. "There's food backstage. They're looking sexier." At Glamour, she noted, a model won't be featured "if she shows too much clavicle."

The nastier headlines about Spears are uncalled for, Schwartz said, but at the same time, "when you walk around the stage in a black bikini in front of millions of viewers, people are going to notice." She added that though Spears doesn't have the perfect body she once did, "Most women would die for the body she has now."

An obvious question is whether a male performer would have been subjected to the same standards. Many would say no; Dave Zinczenko, editor of Men's Health magazine, says yes.

"Listen, any time you go on national television and dance in barely any clothing, you're going to be facing a lot of scrutiny," Zinczenko says. "Anybody would be asking for it." Not that many people weren't pulling for Spears, he notes: "If she had come back, she would have been the toast of the country."

And certainly she had a lot to come back from over the past few years: Well-documented parenting mishaps — remember the baby on her lap in the driver's seat? A messy divorce from husband Kevin Federline. The famous crotch photos. The bizarre head-shaving incident. Rehab.

And now this.

"I kind of feel bad for her," said Shelley Wade, a DJ at New York City pop station Z100. "She looked really nervous. And then now, I'm looking at all these blogs this morning about how everybody thinks she's fat and I'm like, `What! Fat?' She wasn't fat."

How all this will impact Spears' career, and sales of her new album, has yet to be seen. "I just felt like that performance was make or break for her comeback," says Wade. "Now with last night's performance, she's just kind of put herself back in the same boat ... everybody thinks she's a train wreck."

But the single of "Gimme More," the song she destroyed onstage, is off to a great start in the Top 40, says Sean Ross of Edison Research, which tracks radio play. "A great VMA performance would have probably closed the deal for her, but she's still got until Thanksgiving to do other good performances and to release a strong album with other hits on it," he said.

In any case, it seems it would never be wise to write an obituary of Spears' career.

"With everything Britney, we think this is the last chance," says Min. "The fact is, it never is.

"At least this puts attention back on her as a performer. My sense is she'd rather be judged on that than on the rehab, the drinking and the partying."

___

Associated Press Writer Erin Carlson contributed to this report.

"Lard & clear?" That's disgusting. I'd be really interested in the physical condition of this article's author.

Yeah, she may be a trainwreck but there's no cause for the kinds of things people are saying about her figure. I myself said something about it not being her pre-baby body, but I would never describe it as "lard"--only that it's not so trim as she was a few years ago. I think it's a great body (esp. considering the babies) though I'd agree that perhaps it was a bad costume choice. It's no wonder girls starve themselves thin.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=teal font size=+1]***Lainie***

http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html

"The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself." -- Mark Twain[/font]

You know what amazes me? And flame me if you will.... but here we are on the anniversary of 9/11, a huge tragedy. There are horrible things going on all over the world that deserve our attention and yet, we're fixated on some poor girl's performance at a music awards show and the fact that she may be a few pounds overweight. Not just here, but the whole internet was abuzz with this yesterday. JMHO.

>You know what amazes me? And flame me if you will.... but
>here we are on the anniversary of 9/11, a huge tragedy. There
>are horrible things going on all over the world that deserve
>our attention and yet, we're fixated on some poor girl's
>performance at a music awards show and the fact that she may
>be a few pounds overweight. Not just here, but the whole
>internet was abuzz with this yesterday. JMHO.
>

What Shelley said;)

I just wanted to take a nap after I saw this clip. Poor choice of song. This wasn't the high energy performance that I'm used to seeing her do. Her body looked good to me...especially after having two kids.

Jennifer

Well, I think she looked great...I would trade my body for hers for sure ! But her performance was very poor. And I am not saying that because she is Britney or to join a bash-Britney bandwagon, but it was disgraceful, and most of all very disrespectful to her audience, viewers, and fans. If she wants to play with the winners, she needs to perform like one. She looked like she was on drugs and in some sort of daze. There are plenty of other more deserving performers who would have been been so much more entertaining !!!

i totally agree. yeah, the performance was bad but to make fun of her body is a whole other story. I would kill to have her body, postbaby and all. I think in terms of physique she looks great! The hair extensions, well... not so much. It just makes me sad that they're calling her fat! Are you kidding?

cristina

>>You know what amazes me? And flame me if you will.... but
>>here we are on the anniversary of 9/11, a huge tragedy.
>There
>>are horrible things going on all over the world that deserve
>>our attention and yet, we're fixated on some poor girl's
>>performance at a music awards show and the fact that she may
>>be a few pounds overweight. Not just here, but the whole
>>internet was abuzz with this yesterday. JMHO.
>>
>
>What Shelley said;)

I agree with Shelley and Michelle!!

Belinda :)

No flames, but, with all due respect, given all the horrible things going on in the world most of the threads on this board would seem *silly.* I mean, right now there are active threads about Angelina Jolie's weight, some Oreo pizza thing(which sounds good to me) and, yes, Britney Spears. I just don't think there is anything wrong with this. For me, I don't find it productive or even a good idea to spend too much time thinking about all the horrible things in the world and I enjoy a little levity.

I agree, put in the proper perspective, Britney Spears' performance and weight are really not a big deal, but neither is most of the stuff discussed on this board. JMHO

ETA: I don't want my post to sound like it is just this forum, most of the interenet is filled with non-earth-shattering news. In fact, the top story on my Yahoo page is the "Biggest Loser 'after' photos.

>No flames, but, with all due respect, given all the horrible
>things going on in the world most of the threads on this board
>would seem *silly.* I mean, right now there are active threads
>about Angelina Jolie's weight, some Oreo pizza thing(which
>sounds good to me) and, yes, Britney Spears. I just don't
>think there is anything wrong with this. For me, I don't find
>it productive or even a good idea to spend too much time
>thinking about all the horrible things in the world and I
>enjoy a little levity.
>
>I agree, put in the proper perspective, Britney Spears'
>performance and weight are really not a big deal, but neither
>is most of the stuff discussed on this board. JMHO
>
>ETA: I don't want my post to sound like it is just this forum,
>most of the interenet is filled with non-earth-shattering
>news. In fact, the top story on my Yahoo page is the "Biggest
>Loser 'after' photos.

My feelings exactly, Pippa. I mean, how many people would think it's ridiculous and frivolous to be posting about Cathe's new clips that she just put up? I totally see Shelley's point and it's nice to have a little reality check every now and then. But, just as you said, 99.9% of the topics on this and most internet forums/sites are not world news related.

Allison

Yeah, I kind of depend on this forum to give me a break from the seriousness of the world. :)

That said, let's continue. Do you really think they're hair extensions? I think she was wearing a wig. I heard from a pretty reliable source that she didn't shave her head b/c she was having a meltdown, she did it b/c her hair was destroyed by bad extensions.

Hmmmm, I'm not a fan of Brittany's, I have no idea why I'm on this thread defending her. I think I just feel bad b/c she is a human being, she never really had much of a childhood & probably has major issues. Probably not the best costume choice but you know what? We all have our bad days. Fortunately for most of us it isn't caught on tape & broadcast for the entire world to see, with nasty commentary to go along with it.

I agree pippa and Allison. You have to lighten things up now and then and I mean no direspect to 9-11 or other things going on in the world.
LD

Laura,
I totally heard that she shaved her head because her Mother and Kevin were demanding she give them a sample of her hair to test for drugs--so she shaved it all off and then laughed in their faces. Just what I heard....
Poor thing. I think she's gone nutso.

I would say she was wearing a wig too....

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.