Bodymax2 Review(s)

scm

Cathlete
I loved Body Max 2!Firstly, I think the new set is beautiful. It’s much more attractive on the tv than it seems on my computer. The forest with rays of sunshine is so nice to look at.

I had no problems whatsoever with any of the chorography. Nearly all the steps were familiar from other workouts, plus Cathe’s cueing was right on. I enjoyed the lower body segment after each step then blast. The lower body segments consisted of light weight lunges (some done with one foot on the step), squats with a barbell, plies with a barbell, static lunges with light weights.

The upper body exercises were mostly done on the stability ball. I used 15's and 5's for dumbells. Back; double arm rows and back flys. Chest; decline push ups, wide hands(?) push ups (these were tough!) and flys. Shoulders; overhead press (I think for three sets) and circles using light weight for these. Biceps; hammer curls, incline curls (these were also tough!) and concentration curls. Triceps, dips with one leg in the air (32 for each side). I liked the variation of these, Overhead presses. I couldn’t complete these. I have to remember, I’m not as strong as Cathe, and then kickback for a few sets. I enjoyed the quick pace for the ab exercises. Even though this workout is an hour and a half, the time flew!

Susan C.M.

Susan-

I did BM2 for the first time too this morning.

I agree the choreography was easy to pick up. The beats per minute seem similar to the BM original (faster than Cathe's other step productions) and some of the steps have the same feel, but at the same time are diferent. In the power circuit segment the step routines repeat 6 times like in the Imax's and the blasts are roughly 4 times, but the last one is different. Cathe adds plyo-jumps after a series of plylo-jacks just when your legs have had it. Then there is the last leg drill still to go..x(

The upper body segment does a good job of exhausitng each muscle group. #15 pounds was too much for me in the seated overhead press, and the wide pushups I could not complete. The decline pushups on the ball already had my chest exhausted. (I have always completed all puchups in GS) On biceps the incline curls I did with #12 to start, since I did the hammer curls wtih #15. Triceps were tough but doable IMO.

Abs included rockets shooters, seated leg extensions, reverse crunches, 2 varities of obliques exercises, including side planks with leg raises, crunches and finally V-leg reaches throughs.

As in B&G the stretch was thorough.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

After watching all the clips again (because my DVD's won't arrive until tomorrow), I think BM2 will be a favorite. I also have high hopes for B&G. I'll have to do DM and LIC before I can make a judgment on them, but they look like they will be good, comprehensive workouts I'll want to do at least once very two weeks once I've worked them into my rotations.

I'm previewing this one right now...I'm loving the music and the fast pace. A few new moves, but mostly classic Cathe step put together quickly. The music is total FUN!!! I'm previewing quickly and thinking I may go ahead and do this one tonight. If I start by 7:30, I will be done by ninish. I want to follow Cathe's rotation for November. Maybe, I will keep on previewing and do this one tomorrow! The fast pace and the music are the winning factors for me in this one!!!
Angela:7 :7 :7 :7

This is going to be my workout for the day! I can't wait! I am not sure if I can do all of it on an 8 in step. What did you all do? I think my first time will be on a 6 in step.

I am definitely going to use a 6 in step.

There is a lot of high impact in the video and I think I can get an awesome workout with 6 in.

After I really master the moves, I may try an 8 in step.

Again, great music and choreography.

I think this is the best music Cathe has had ever!

And I love the Music Louder Feature!

I did it on an 8" step but I struggled to jump with both feet up on the step during the cardio blasts. I've never been able to jump very high. Otherwise, the 8" step was fine. The choreo was very straightforward.

I did BM2 for the first time yesterday with a 6 inch step since it was my first time out. Or was I just being wimpy? Not sure I coulda made it with the 8 inch but it gives me something to work up to.

Did everyone else use an 8 inch?

I will be doing this later this afternoon. I plan on trying it as produced on an 8 in. step using the weights Cathe uses...I said attempt...tee hee! I will let you all know how I make out!
Angela:7

LUVED it!!!
Really LUVED:
The music
The fast pace
The leg work that actually wasn't totally KILLER
The upper body on the stability ball
The balance (snow angel) side plank
The push ups on the ball and off the ball
The stretches that were held for a longer period of time than usual...the stretch felt relaxing and not rushed.

Minor cons:
Back isn't worked enough
Hamstrings felt a little neglected

My heart rate came down a little before the last leg segment b/c I had a brain fart and couldn't get that 4th step combo down so after the last blast I went back to figure out what I was doing wrong before moving on with the rest of the workout. I've got it now! I really, really loved the pace of the cardio and the music in this one and I enjoyed using an 8 in. step. The cardio was doable for me on an 8 in. step and I many times do Cathe cardio on a 6 in. step.
A++++
Angela

Hi there:

To those of you who have BodyMax 1, how does BodyMax 2 compare? Is it as challenging?

Thanks so much in advance, Lynn M.

I personally think that BM1 is a bit harder than BM2. The upper body work on BM1 is 34 minutes long and is very though and thorough. Also, the step tempo is faster on BM1 and the leg/circuits are tougher.

I really like BM2, though, and can see it becoming a favorite.

They are both great.

>Hi there:
>
>To those of you who have BodyMax 1, how does BodyMax 2
>compare? Is it as challenging?
>
>Thanks so much in advance, Lynn M.
>
>

runathon

I totally agree with runathon.

"I personally think that BM1 is a bit harder than BM2. The upper body work on BM1 is 34 minutes long and is very though and thorough. Also, the step tempo is faster on BM1 and the leg/circuits are tougher.

I really like BM2, though, and can see it becoming a favorite.

They are both great."

Thank you both for the info!!

I am looking forward to trying this one this weekend !!

Take care, Lynn M.

You guys have me so psyched to do this tomorrow! I actually have a little extra time so don't have to rush out of the house!:7 :7:7

I hope my legs are up to it! Yesterday was Drill max and today was LIC! I might lighten or skip the weights in the bicep area since the barbell/band bicep work in LIC is insane! I usually lift equal to Cathe and I was FRIED!x( ;( x( ;(

Thanks for the input!

Terri

RE: Bodymax2 Review(s) (long)

I loved this workout! It really flew for me. All 97 minutes of it. I thought the warmup with a little long but I loved the music. The choreography was moderate, easy to pick up. I did this workout on an 8" step and it really got my heart rate up. I burned 795 calories for the full workout. Some of the music is Jesse's Girl, Heaven is a Place on Earth, I'm a Man, Don't You Forget About Me. For anyone interested in the choreography, here is a short version plus the rest of the workout:

Combo 1: V step forward, then turn and V step to the back, alternate knees, power scissors on step (Cathe calls this move cross country), ponies side to side, reverse V, up lunge, push off corner 3x, walk back 3 steps, on 3rd step do a hop, walk forward 2 steps, on 3rd hop on to step, over the top, lunge.

Combo 2: With Left foot on step, do a right kick, turn to the back, lunge forward 2x, lunge back 2x, step, pivot, cha cha; hop on step with leg extension side to side 4x swinging arms side to side, jump rope around the world, basic, hop turn to back, outer thigh and straddle. Alternate knees.

Combo 3: Push off ste 3x, go over step, power skates, exit back (do this to both sides. Insoles corner to corner, reverse hop turn, charleston, knees around the world.

Power Circuits (Step combos are done 6x):

Step 1: Knee off side, bow & arrow, over step 2x, knee off back, over face in with a hitch kick, pump circle run. Alternate knees
Blast 1: Knee off side, go over step 4x (on the 4th, turn in), go over again 3x, knee off back, knee straddle; jump on and off step 3x.
Leg Drill 1: Alternating Lunges with 5# dbbls. Forward lunge 8x, side squat on step 9x, back lunge 8x, cross over step slowly lifting dbbls overhead.

Step 2: Alternate knees, 2 knee repeater, walk back and around, 2 knee repeater, walk back and around, full circle repeater; power jig 2x (this is really a rock forward and back).
Blast 2: Knees corner to corner, center knees, wide lunges 14x (foot goes out to corner behind step), exit knee off step, power 7s (R leg)arms circling overhead. Do again to other side.
Leg Drill 2: Squats with 35# bbl: 16 single squats, low ends for 4 counts (do this twice), 8 singles, low ends for 4 cts (twice); 15 count low end pulse.

Step 3: 2 alternating knees with a lift, double hop on right foot and step down, knee off side. Jump on to step, do 2 smaller jumps on step moving to the side, down tap, knee off back.
Blast 3: 3 power turning squats, rock back (2x); 7 turning squats, rock back; outer thigh jump straddle, 3 abduction repeater. (This is where my heart rate went to 101%!) Do again to other side.
Leg Drill 3: Plie squats with 35# barbell. 16 singles with underhand grip, 4 ct low ends (4x), 8 singles, 4 ct low ends (4x) and low end pulse for 15 cts.

Step 4: Mambo forward and back, go over step diagonally, knee off back, long hop turn (2x), knee off outside and tap, power turns.
Blast 4: 1 power turn, 3 plyo jacks (4x), power turn, 3 plyos, 4 air jacks, jump forward and back (2x). Cathe says this is the hardest blast although I found blast 3 tougher for me.
Leg Drill 4: Static lunges with 5# dbbls - 8 lunges with 2-2 count, 8 lunges with down 3 up 1 count, 8 singles, 15 low end pulses.

Upper body work: Cathe uses 5 and 15# dbbls. The upper body work moved very quickly.
Back: Double arm row on ball, pullovers on ball, rear flyes on ball (Cathe uses 15#)
Chest: Decline pushups on ball, wide stance pushups on floor, chest flys on ball (Cathe uses 15#) (Chest work was toughest for me.)
Shoulders: Seated overhead press (Cathe uses 15#) I used 10# here. That was enough for me for now; arm circles and side lateral raises(Cathe uses 5#).
Biceps: Seated hammer curls on ball, incline traditional curls and concentration curls.
Triceps: Dips on floor with 1 leg raised in the arm while holding 5# dbbls in each hand on the floor. Do 32 with each leg.
Seated overhead extension on ball; kickbacks.

I really liked doing the upper body work on the ball. It was a nice change.

Abs: Not the toughest ab workout I've done but a good solid ab workout. Rocket shoots (8), thrusts (16) (do 3 sets of these); reverse crunches (28), oblique crunches (24 to each side), 1 arm side plank (hold for 8), lower hips for 8, lift top leg in air and hold for 8 (This was tough.); traditional crunches, lift 3 levels and go down (4 reps), pulse high for 3 cts (8 reps), go up for ct 1, freeze on 2 and 3, go down on 4 (8 reps), V sit (split legs) reach through middle (32 reps).

Well, that's the entire workout. Sorry for the long post. I loved this workout. I probably won't do the entire workout too much but more likely the premixes or different portions. I loved all the music. I usually prefer more dancy choreography (like Rhythmic Step), but I liked the choreography and the music really helped. This workout is a real calorie burner. Hope everyone enjoys this workout as much as I did.

Marcy

Body Max 2 is about 5,000 times better than Body Max 1.

I hate the Body Max 1 music and the sound was very bad.

I hardly ever did the Upper Body part of Body Max 1 because the music was depressing, unmotivating, and I could use MIS and get just as good a workout.

Body Max 2 is a Cathe Masterpiece!

I did BM2 for the first time today and also used a 6 inch step....I wanted to make sure I could get to footwork down first ( I tend to be a bit of a klutzx( ) I still got a VERY good workout with the 6"....I will probably use the 8" next time since the choreography was easy to follow (always a big surprise for me;-) !!) But I am glad I went lower first!

Happy Stepping!:)

Debra

Hey Amy...

ONLY 5000x better than BM1??! Your comment made me laugh! ;) I never really loved BM1 either, other than for the intensity factor.

I am planning on BM2 tomorrow.. however, I did B&G yesterday and my butt has so much DOMS, I am not sure I'll be up to BM2.

Thanks for the info!! :)

Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.