Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Hi buddies,

Yesterday was a low energy day for me. I didn't sleep well, too many emotions and question marks in my life right now.
I pushed myself to complete only the 2nd workout from RWH Low Impact, and several 5 minute tracks from Jari Love's Ripped To The Core. But today is my off day . I drugged myself through exercise. It worked great against the stress.

Today I did :
Cardio: Amy Dixon's The Edge: Breathless Body #2. Wow, the advanced exerciser here performs some jumps which I certainly can't do! Is there no gravity pull for him?:)
Upper Body : Total Body Trisets (shoulders, chest, triceps). Great moves, if the music was better I would complete it all.
Lower body: the workout from KCM's Split Sessions
Stretch: from 10 Minute Solutions - Hot Body BootCamp with Amy Bento (pure bliss!)

Jodi, I misinformed you in my earlier post. Kelly's Split Sessions Lower Body does use a resistance loop too (and dumbbells , I'm using 2x12 lbs). The main workout contains standing loop exercises , the bonus - mat ones. It is a great workout , effective but not exhausting. Which is what I needed after BB2.
Jen, you are making me seriously interested in RIPT. 30 USD is a price I like :)
Tom, Nathalie, Healing11, and everyone - happy exercising!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well.

Svetlana: It does happen to all of us! There will be days we feel like dragging ourselves to do a workout.
So it is okay just do what you can. Trust I do have days like that too and when a read your comment
here and see how hard you are hitting your muscle it motivate me to do something.:)

I am feeling great today. Good vibes and great energy. I did pedal power XTR 71 minutes:):):)
My glutes are in DOMS as I am typing:):):)

Jen: I want to discuss this intermittent fasting. Would you mind posting the link or name of your book?
What I know is I used 16/8 protocol. I did not count calories to the letter but I should have. I did 5:2
Which means 2 days 600kcal and 7 days normal---Normal means the maintenance calorie allowance.
I know mine is around 1800-2000kcal roughly. It is funny but now that you have mentioned it I can not switch off
thinking about it. Not sure if your book will explain deeply enough to the muscle building perspective.
Although this seem to work for a short amount of time, it is worth trying to at least kick off a fat loss regimen. IMO

Bodybuilders do use it for a short period of time as a strategy. As I posted early it is a strategy for fat loss.
There is not significant evidence but It works. I would eat mainly protein during 600kcal days to avoid
muscle breakdown, I would do long steady pace those days:):) for no longer than an hour.
The aim is to force the body to use fat (stored fat)as source of energy instead of glycogen.

Here is some science:

http://fitnessrxformen.com/nutrition/tips/intermittent-fasting-to-burn-fat-build-muscle/

The book I have is this one. I will dig it out the storage and re-read it LOL you are giving stuff to think about;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Diet-Healthy-Revised-Updated/dp/1780722370/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437767399&sr=8-3&keywords=intermittent fasting

Hope to hear from you ladies and Gent;)

Today was day 3 of Nia's simple strength 2. I this because of a 4 day split I started on a Tuesday so I'm. Little off and will do day 4 Saturday. Today was, as usual, simple and straight forward. Overheadpress 2 sets x5 and 1x10. Triceps pushups 4x10 and pullups 4x10. I will repeat these 4 days for 3 weeks, bumping up weight as I go, then the fourth week is a deload week dropping to 70% of weight etc this is repeated 3 times. She has programs to fit any schedule and you are in and out quickly. You are encouraged to do warm up sets, so those do add somewhat to rep total I am so used to frying a body part each day that it seems different.I will try to stay the course because many of our cathelete family have had great results and love it!! Gotta admit the 4x10 pulkyps were tough..First 2 sets were fine 2nd two a little uglier, but Done!! I subbed tricep pushups for dips..right shoulder won't have it, but I will have to add more reps to pushups. The dips used to really hurt 10-20 YEARS ago, but now feels like surgery!! No pain no gain has its limits

Hey there! It's been a busy week so I haven't had a chance to check in. I've been feeling a little bit ADD regarding my workouts post all my summer vacation traveling from last month so this week I started up Body Beast. I did this program last year around this time and had pretty good results. Not sure if I am going to do the full 3 month rotation yet. Knowing me I'll get antsy and jump to something else in a week or two, but we'll see. haha.

Jen-I think you have me pretty much sold on getting Ript 90. I'll probably order it tonight. :) Regarding IF, I got interested in that earlier this year and tried it for about week. I really liked it and was surprised at how easy it was (I was following 16:8. I would have stuck with it longer, but that's right when I was moved to a different team at work which caused all sorts of changes to my regular work schedule (not to mention a whole lot more stress). I keep telling myself that once things at work calm down, I should try it again. You should check out fitness professional Sara Solomon's website. She's big into IF. She offers a free ebook on how to start IF and offers tutorial emails about IF that you can sign up for via her website. She also sells several ebooks on the subject as well, although I have not purchased any of them. There are also several IF group pages on facebook that you can join as well. I found those to be helpful as well when I was first researching IF.

Happy Friday everyone!

Thanks SarBear--I actually purchased Dr. Solomon's books--that's where I've been getting most of my information (a few other sources, too). She was the one Chalene Johnson interviewed in her podcast. She did a long 2 part podcast with her and she also did another podcast with another trainer about IF. They are excellent podcasts. I have been hearing about IF for several years but had zero interest until I listened to these podcasts.

I think everyone will love RIPT90 but if you can wait a few days the review will go up on Monday. But I will mostly be gushing! :D However, it is not a perfect program--I have a lot of nitpicks. I definitely think the good outweighs the bad but if you want to be sure--Monday! Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks for the links Nathalie--I will check them out!

Last edited:
Today was day 4 ( end of week 1). Pretty much leg and ab day. Squats. 2x5. 1x10. Reverse lunges 4x10. Hanging knee raises 4x10 These were painful on my shoulders, but when I went with a underhanded grip and bent elbows, it really relieved the shoulder discomfort. Next week will be the same but will bump up poundages on lifts. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hi everyone! Today was the treadmill, and this time I was in Central Park and on a mountain trail in Pennsylvania. Great 80's music again to keep me company.

I leave this coming Friday (yes, again, ugh) for a family reunion for a few days and then I may take off the rest of that following week because hubby is off from work. Probably not a whole lot of working out will be done during that time so my plan for up until I leave is to hit a good combination of weights and cardio. I think RIPT90 may be up next once I'm back to a regular schedule.

Hope all of you have a fabulous weekend!

Hello pals,

Jodi / Sarbear: I'm interested in RIPT90, especially Ript Abs, Deadlift Killer, Chest Shredder, Shoulder Pressure and Stretch routines. I will use the Back Breaker too. I need a strong back and mine is genetically weak. The instructor is not yelling but professional and calm , which is a great plus for me.
Welcome home, Jodi.
Nathalie: Thank you for mentioning Amazon UK. I'm glad RIPT90 ships from the UK, it's cheaper & faster for us on this side of the Atlantic.
And happy glutes DOMS!
I'm expecting Cathe's Great Glutes to arrive tomorrow. Some reviewers say it feels easy but gave them great soreness afterwards. I hope I will get the same treat :)
Jen: I can't wait for your RIPT90 reviews! But you've already enabled me to try it:)
Tom: I agree with your opinion about "No pain, no gain". Everyone must respect his / her physical limits.

Yesterday's workouts:
AM: Cathe's Flex Train (no abs) and I did for the first time Paul Katami's Ab Lab. Kudos to Paul for the tough workout. By the end, I was hoping for crunches but he never gave us any.
PM: Cathe's Travel Fit

Today I did Michelle Dozois' Pure Cardio. I liked it a lot so I continued with half of Peak 10 Interval Burn.
I'm planning to do 30 min of Jari Love's Revved to the Max or Body Rock later.

Warm regards,

Here are my workouts for the past week:

Day 1 TJ Cardio Party
Day 2 Push Circuit 1
Day 3 Rest
Day 4 Push Circuit 2
Day 5 Push Circuit 3
Day 6 Fire 20

Pretty good workout week. When I was doing Cardio Party my husband said that's not Cathe. Then when I was doing Push circuit 3, he said
is that Cathe. He makes me feel like I'm cheating on Cathe. LOL!! Anyway, I was actually sore by Day 7.

Jenngolf I admire you for doing doubles, I wish I had the time and I wish my joints would allow it. I just closed my kitchen for the night at 6pm. This morning I had a protein drink after my workout, about 3 hours later I had turkey bacon and boiled eggs. i'm going to continue this
for a week and see how i feel. it felt good this morning and I stayed satisfied until a late lunch around 2pm.

Hopefully this week I can get in 3 days of cardio, my sleep was really off last week and I've learned that not enough sleep and workouts don't go together for me.

I just purchased a vivofit with chest strap used it for the first time today and I love it. It pushed me during my workout to go harder. I do love gadgets. Until my next checkin, I hope everyone stays focused on their goals.

Good morning! Day 2 of IF and I am hungry! I can eat in about an hour. This is going to take some getting used to. It is easier to be hungry in the mornings than later in the day, but still--I'm hungry! But I'll live. When I do get to eat I feel like I have a ton of food to consume!

Yesterday was RIPT90 Chest Shredder + RIPT Abs + STS Extended Stretch. This morning I finished RIPT90 off with Minute by Minute + Ups & Downs + Cathe's Total Body Stretch #3. No doubles since I am workng overtime this week. Anyone whose interested, here is my review of RIPT90.

Good morning! Day 2 of IF and I am hungry! I can eat in about an hour. This is going to take some getting used to. It is easier to be hungry in the mornings than later in the day, but still--I'm hungry! But I'll live. When I do get to eat I feel like I have a ton of food to consume!

Yesterday was RIPT90 Chest Shredder + RIPT Abs + STS Extended Stretch. This morning I finished RIPT90 off with Minute by Minute + Ups & Downs + Cathe's Total Body Stretch #3. No doubles since I am workng overtime this week. Anyone whose interested, here is my review of RIPT90.
Wow Jen...that was a great review and took tons of work and time. I admire the dedication to do the review...and the workouts!! Well done

Today I started the second week of Beautiful Badass. The program calls for floorpress (I use benchpress) 2x5 1x10 pushups 4x10 inverted rows 4x10 barbell curls 4x10, I added 10# to the bench reps and on the pushups I elevated my feet on the bench and did 20 reps on the last set to increase the intensity. The workouts are short and concise and hopefully effective! (time will tell) Got serious DOMS from last weeks reverse lunges (who invented those things??) This program is designed to increase strength (not necessarily hypertrophy) and should be a great program for the ladies of these forums. It is a great program for the men as well to increase strength. Many of the ladies are not necessarily looking for hypertrophy but do want to be strong. (Nia is tiny looking and deadlifts 330#)!! Us guys, being demented as we are would like to be big as well (me anyway) and I think strength increase will also make that easier. I will try to finish this program then probably go back to a hypertrophy routine.

Hi Everyone,

Wod was 4ds segment High intensity step and Great Glutes. It was a challenging high rep Leg day.
Yesterday #rest day:):). I had tight hamstring and DOMS from Athletic training. It is unbelievable how effective a
simple band used for hamstring kickbacks could be!

Tom: Hope you get what you want (muscle mass) soon. It sounds like you have been longing for muscle mass for a while now
Are you hopping to gain both strength and muscle mass from Nia program? I believe this program is for 12 weeks and it
is the lower end of strength rep range 1-6 rep. I may give it a try some time in future. Just want to do other rep range
for now. That being said I am not looking to look as tiny as Nia:eek::):) regardless of what she is able to perform.
I am not aiming to look like her. One thing I have learned over years is to never aim to identically look like somebody
else. Each skeleton is different... i have to make the most of what I have. That's why I never chose a trainer based
on a visual look I am hammering my body for!!:p:p:pJMHO
According to what I heard she is strong and really good. I heard many very good comment years ago on this forum.

Jen: RIPT90 is a Beachbody workout. I did not know. Is it? I have read half of your review. Will read the rest.
Do you see yourself re-visiting it in future? Be strong fighting hunger. I am in this experiment with you.:);)
Not really an experiment for me cause I did it in the past without giving 100% focus and I lost few pound.
I fasted with no nutrition plan when I stopped travelling to France for work.
You can do it!:) My problem is evenings this is when it is going to be challenging for me.
So far so good. After 8 pm I should not be having any meal. I want to push it up to 7pm.

Svetlana: Hope you have had your Great Glutes now. I did it today and it is a challenging endurance workout.
it is great workout for working glutes without necessarily increasing the size of the legs.

SarBear Are you re-starting STS soon? what is your goal. At the moment I am doing high reps/ciruit and cardio
aiming to re-gain back a decent level of endurance before re-starting STS. After that I will do bodybuilding rotation.

That is all I have to share for now.

Happy Monday everyone;)

Last edited:
Nathalie--no RIPT90 is not a Beachbody program. I compared it in some ways to P90X--but that is only because it appears that's what the company (XTrainFit) was going for--mimicking some aspects of P90X. However, the program is nothing at all like P90X. Very different program, very different trainer and much, much cheaper than any Beachbody program. Yes, I will be returning to it. I will probably never do it as a program, but I will definitely return to every single one of the workouts. I liked them all. I know I will return to several of the more metabolic/cardio/HIIT workouts during STS. Possibly even Deadlift Killer as that one would fit nicely into the extra glute focus I'm adding to my STS rotation.

thanks tslop49! Nia sounds like a tough but interesting workout program. It's not DVDs is it?

Last edited:
Nathalie--no RIPT90 is not a Beachbody program. I compared it in some ways to P90X--but that is only because it appears that's what the company (XTrainFit) was going for--mimicing some aspects of P90X. However, the program is nothing at all like P90X. Very different program, very different trainer and much, much cheaper than any Beachbody program. Yes, I will be returning to it. I will probably never do it as a program, but I will definitely return to every single one of the workouts. I liked them all. I know I will return to several of the more metabolic/cardio/HIIT workouts during STS. Possibly even Deadlift Killer as that one would fit nicely into the extra glute focus I'm adding to my STS rotation.

thanks tslop49! Nia sounds like a tough but interesting workout program. It's not DVDs is it?
No Justine, It's a download.I didn't realize it and couldn't find shipp
Nathalie--no RIPT90 is not a Beachbody program. I compared it in some ways to P90X--but that is only because it appears that's what the company (XTrainFit) was going for--mimicing some aspects of P90X. However, the program is nothing at all like P90X. Very different program, very different trainer and much, much cheaper than any Beachbody program. Yes, I will be returning to it. I will probably never do it as a program, but I will definitely return to every single one of the workouts. I liked them all. I know I will return to several of the more metabolic/cardio/HIIT workouts during STS. Possibly even Deadlift Killer as that one would fit nicely into the extra glute focus I'm adding to my STS rotation.

Jen..no Nia is a download. I figured this out when I couldn't find shipping info!!! Geeze

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.