Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Nathalie, you make a good point! I also keep track of my weights for every DVD I do so that is a start for the 1RM. Also, I plan to do Burn Sets again soon so that will help me with determining the right weights at least for upper body. I don't know why I let STS scare me so much!

Do not be scared of STS Jodi--- Your plan is good. If you already own the STS pack, I suggest you start viewing.
One of the fact most cathletes mention as being hard to face is the volume of push up during meso 1, the second is the fact
that there is only 30 second rest between each set. So preparing all equipment in advanced is very important.
if you work out early in the morning like some of us and/or get frustrated pausing all the time to change and get equipment
then I suggest you get organised and well prepared in advanced. Trust me once all your equipment are lined up, your note
book is ready you will be fine. In the end we all managed to take notes in between set. You can do it!;)

Feel the best for yourself Tom---Age is just a number.
Do your grown up children workout?
Nathalie Both of my sons lifted extensively during their athletic careers but don't much at this point...I wish they would!! They both went to Division 1 programs to play football. but My oldest son hurt his back doing cleans a few weeks before freshman two a days and was forced to give it up.and and concentrated on his medical studies. He became an orthopedic surgeon specializes in sport medicine, knees shoulders etc My youngest spent two years at Division 1 programs as a football fullback and benchpressed 440#. Like many young adults they feel they don't have the time, but I wish they would FIND the time for health. They are both big guys and could use regular exercise!!

Today was To The Max, the Extreme premix. Phew, that is one exhausting workout! I love all the step work in this workout, especially the 30/20 HiiT section. Great stuff!

I do pre-exhaust leg starting with this 30/20 premix. It's short but by the time I complete it from the warm up, I am already
a sweaty mess:) and legs are warm enough.

Had to share because I, too, am a "unique f*cking snowflake." :) We all are! No More Girly Fitness Bull$hit. Enjoy!

I have just read up to the 1 paragraphe listing the 9 reason---- LOL love it ;-)
She is right we need to stop the B S!!!

PS LOL Point n-3 is very much the type of S**T I have read on discussion box here LOL
This makes me laugh to tears!!! I wish we had a teary smiley Lol

Last edited:
Well I have just finished reading this article Jen---Love it, Well I think you knew I was going to .
Toning term is banned in my vocabulary. And Funny T A is mentioned and could not agree more!
There is a bunch of " Wanna look like TA" on this forum using this B S to give some hypertrophy folks
hard time!:):) Watch out

PS--- We are all unique skeleton!!!

Isn't that a great article? I discovered the article and Jessie Kneeland from listening to a Nia Shanks podcast this morning. They were actually discussing this article so I had to check it out for myself. I love the "creative nonsense"!!! Because it's so true! I remember some of the questions about EBE2--whether there are new or different exercises in it. If there is nothing new (as in, creative never-before-seen exercises), then what's the point? The point is, EBE2 contains lots of tried and true exercises that we know for a fact work. What makes EBE2 unique, is how they are put together. Not some new, untested pretzel move performed by someone with a genetically perfect booty! Which I see that a lot. In fact, it is one of the reasons I think Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is one of her best DVDs and why Michelle Dozois original Peak 10s are her best. Because the more DVDs they create, the more "creative" they feel the need to become and, IMHO, those newer, more creative workouts aren't nearly as effective as their originals that took tried and true exercises and put them together in their own unique format.

Anyway, there are so many "truths" I loved in this article that I completely agree with! I've actually been reading more of her blog posts and she has a lot of great posts! Things I need to read and absorb--particularly the idea that I am a unique snowflake and to stop comparing myself to other people. BTW--this was another great article that I not only bookmarked, but shared with my daughters: 3 Steps to Self-Love.

I guess I should check in, too! I haven't done that in a few days!

Monday: STS #4 Chest, Shoulders & Biceps + HIIT #2 (30/30)
Tuesday: STS #6 Legs + 100 Rep Hip Thrusts + STS Pilates Abs + Total Body Stretch #2
Wednesday (today): Ultimatum White + Butt Bible Level 1 Lower. Planned doubles is EBE2 Peak Cardio.

Anyway, there are so many "truths" I loved in this article that I completely agree with! I've actually been reading more of her blog posts and she has a lot of great posts! Things I need to read and absorb--particularly the idea that I am a unique snowflake and to stop comparing myself to other people. BTW--this was another great article that I not only bookmarked, but shared with my daughters: 3 Steps to Self-Love.

Great article indeed--- Will read other posts too. Self love is important. I can honestly admit now I have learned
to love myself and stopped comparing myself to anyone years ago:):) It is funny now I can read when someone is not:p

There is something else not listed on the article I reckon should be discussed to boost women confidence.
How many time Have I read "it's understandable to choose a workout program based on the trainer look" Another BS IMHO

#4 I hope most readers understand the point made on this.
#9 pfff

Hello buddies,

I read Jessie Kneeland's article posted by Jen, (and the comments after it) last night. Interesting read :)
I agree the idea of "getting the perfect body in just 7 minutes per day" is a ridiculous fitness trend. When I began working out 4-5 years ago, the instructors used to recommend working out minimum 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes in order a beginner-intermediate to see results.
I also agree with her about women embracing their bodies as created; working out consistently and that woman muscle is a good thing :)
Another fad is unfit people killing themselves with high intensity "time-saving" workouts. Here is my reason
I have an overweight & depressed & nervous from starvation friend whom I convinced (it took a lot of time ) to do fitness. I recommended to her to strengthen her muscles before doing cardio. But she chose Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred "to burn THAT fat fast". She injured on the first session, while following the beginner modifier. This was two years ago, she never tried again and none of the fad diets helped.
She says it's simple genetics me being slim knowing what I eat. But my body looks tighter now after 2 pregnancies at the age of 34 than when I was a teen. The exercises work :)
Another point from the article. I think "some" creative moves can be effective - not the one pictured though :) Creative twists can help avoid boredom. Also when heavy lifting is out of question (due to financial, space or physical constraints) mixing standard and "creative" moves can increase results via muscle confusion.

Oh, that was long :)

Nathalie - I'm a fan of doubles for a long time :) I'm lucky that I work from home.

Here are my workouts since last log in
Saturday Michelle Dozois More Interval Burn; Pure Strength 1 - Chest; Pure Strength 2 - Chest
These "chest segments" work other muscles too..I still prefer Cathe and Kelly
Sunday Turbo Fire 45 EZ; Jessica Smith's - Cardio Abs Workout #3; Best Body Blast - Upper. I didn't feel at all the upper body segment... No where near Cathe or Kelly even with heavier weight
Monday - 3 kickbox segments from 10 Minute Solutions series (Amy Bento, Jessica Smith); the Weight & Abs premix from Jari Love's Slim and Lean
Tuesday - Cathe's Cardio Supersets, Paul Katami's Ab Lab
Wednesday - Kelly Coffey's Cardio Blast - Step w/o; the legs segments from Cathe's Muscle Max and Power Hour
Today - Amy Bento's Kickbox Surge; Planned doubles - the back segments from Kelly's Muscle Definition & Xtrain CSB. (I do these together as a sub for not using v. heavy DBs )

Warm greetings to everyone from rainy, end of summer Eastern Europe !

Last edited:
I have an overweight & depressed & nervous from starvation friend whom I convinced (it took a lot of time ) to do fitness. I recommended to her to strengthen her muscles before doing cardio. But she chose Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred "to burn THAT fat fast". She injured on the first session, while following the beginner modifier. This was two years ago, she never tried again and none of the fad diets helped.

Interesting point made. I have seen this a lot!! How many people, without pointing fingers, claim being strong but not
being able to complete 20 minutes high intensity holding a fluid form!!!!

Being strong is not just about biceps, curling 40 pounders---- HEART is also a muscle and people tend to forget!!! It is
the most, number one, muscle we should be taking care of:eek::eek::eek: More efficient it get, more blood is pump into
those biceps, quads and so on....:):)

Last edited:
Great article Jen! Svetlana, that is a perfect example of harm done to novice excercisers who don't take a scientific approach and Nathalie, while curling 40 pounders is nice and looks good,if you don't have health behind it its a false illusion! I'm still in deload week and today was overhead presses and pushups and chin ups. Deload week is a rest week so I dropped the ohp 15# from last week and did a set of 10, did a set of 25 close grip push ups a set of 15 diamond pushups and will do a set of chin ups at work (the prison I work at part time has a great neutral grip chin up bar) On the lifts I have been doing longer sets during deload since the program uses shorter heavier sets and I thought it I would shake things up a bit! On bench day a did a set of 20 at a lighter weight only a set of 10 on ohp and will try for a long set on squats tomorrow. Have fun all of you unique "F#@!^n snowflakes!!!! lol!

I agree with all of you. Strength isn't just about lifting iron. There are many kinds of strength work, which is why I am a big fan of Mark Lauren--bodyweight strength is some of the hardest and most effective strength work you can do. Push ups, pull ups, pistol squats, planks--and all variations of those plus many more body weight exercises can make you stronger than lifting weights. And it's hard!

And I also agree--when unfit people try to do too much too fast, they can injure themselves, or just give up because of the severe DOMS. I remember when I when I joined the military (18 years old) and day one they had us running miles in combat boots, doing push ups, sit ups and so much more. The next day I (and most of my flight) was in such excruciating DOMS pain that had we not had a drill instructor forcing us maggots out of bed to do it all over again I know I would have thrown in the towel and never exercised again! No fun! And not a way for most people (other than military recruits, I guess, but some of those airmen got injured anyway!) to get into shape. However, my strength and endurance by the end of boot camp are what solidified the value of exercise in me for life.

This morning was STS #5 Back & Triceps and man do I feel it. Planned doubles is Butt Bible Level 2 Lower.

@jengollf

I wish I had such chance at that young age! It would have saved me hell a lot of time to feel comfortable
in my body gaining confidence. I know My parents would not let me at all:rolleyes::oops::eek:. For them I had to head straight
to university. Which I did and completed... Very inspirational Jen:)

Well, Nathalie--I wouldn't trade the experience of serving in the military for anything now, but back when I joined I did so because my parents didn't have the money to pay for my college and I didn't have the grades to get any scholarships. Also, since my parents didn't go to college, they never prepared me for things like applying for student loans! So I joined the military and Uncle Sam paid for my bachelors degree. I'm glad it played out that way now but when I joined I felt like I had limited choices--and I wanted my degree, so I took the military route to get it.

Such a good discussion going on! We have a great group here!

Yesterday was another new one from Pure Barre...Pure Results Feature Focus: Arms. Now, I do not use barre workouts for upper body work, but I didn't hesitate to buy this DVD. I knew that with this series, no matter what the "Focus", killer leg work is going to be included. I was right...I was whining like a little baby during some of the leg work! Plus, the extra arm work was really just doing arm exercises while also working on either the legs or abs.

Today's workout for later will be XTrain Chest, Back and Shoulders. Since I hadn't done this one in awhile, I previewed it earlier in the week to refresh my memory. I saw the bug running across the floor by Al! :p

Had one of those mornings!!Didn't want to do ANYTHING, but eventually won the battle! This is the last day of this deload week and I managed a set of 20 squats at 135# 3 sets of 8 reverse lunges 3 sets of 8 hanging knee raises and a set of 45 single calf raises each leg with 35# added. I consider it somewhat a mental victory if nothing else!! Next week I will be in Florida for the birth of my third grandson and may just take the week off. My bicep tendons on both arms have been sore for a few weeks and I may try to rest them a little (something tells me I wont be able to do it!!) Hope all have a great weekend!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.