Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Hello friends,

PS..let the guns grow!!
Tom - OK, I will let them :)

Hi everyone,
Svetlana: I need some information about this video blender/maker.
Jen: I am wondering what Cathe has "in store" for us.
Jodi: I am the one who will need yoga relax. ,

Nathalie - I will PM you on the first sentence quoted.
We all wonder (and are excited) what Cathe is up to in the new ICE series! This is my first time ever when I pay for something months before I will have it. I'm not a patient person so it shows only how much I trust Cathe as an instructor.

Jodi - I'm joining you and Nathalie and will do Yoga Relax. I'm low energy today so there's a chance to improve my flexibility . ;) Is Squeeze Stronger a barre workout? Tracy's weights seem to be heavier than usual barre.
Mary - Rockout Knockout is enjoyable :) It has no dread factor for me.

Svetlana--what do you mean by "ICE series pro-type"?
Jen - My English is not perfect (I blush here :)). According to Wikipedia: "A prototype is .. an early model of a product built to test it." I'm doing workouts similar to the idea behind ICE series . I'm trying to get an idea what intensity I can expect in ICE.
I do short, more intense cardio (similar to the Blizzard Blast segment in ICE) followed by workouts which Cathe rated as intermediate: High Step Circuit, Low Impact Step, Basic Step, Body Fusion, Low Impact Circuit. These make good workouts if I don't want to kill myself or for doubles.

Lately I'm tired and don't feel like wearing my workout shoes. So low impact is a must.
My Friday doubles was Illaria Montagnani's Power Strike 5
Yesterday I did a leg workout made from 5-7 min segments from STS Total Body and High Reps. Doubles was KCM Lift: PowerSculpt
Today was Turbo Jam Cardio Blaster and the bonus tabatas from CrossFire and To The Max. I plan to add some shoulder work with segments from Power Hour and / or Muscle Endurance.

I wish you all a nice Sunday !

Last edited:
This morning I did EBE2 Weighted Glutes + PFLW Core A & B + Total Body Stretch #1.

Nathalie--for the plie variation are you talking about holding the barbell down in front of you like you would hold it for a deadlift? Cathe holds dumbbells that way in some of her workouts and so do both Pauline and Ingrid in Butt Bible & EBE2. But not a barbell. Sounds interesting--but also like it might be awkward because a barbell is so much longer than dumbbells. And I do think you feel it more when you hold the dumbbells in front of you between your legs rather than having a barbell on your shoulders or (as Cathe sometimes does) holding it at your chest.

Yes holding like executing a deadlift. I have just tried aiming to do something different. I like cathe's version holding a heavy
dumbbell for plies too:):). I was doing pyramid up and down which add up to five set per exercise. There is a squat and
plie/sumo superset. So I improvised, for a change, by holding the barbell differently. It felt different for sure LOL.
It was slightly pulling me into executing low-end. This put me into contracting glute more to stay upright. I felt my tailbone:eek::eek::D
to travel back up, same I had push through heel glute-core.

That being said I agree with you that dumbbell in front feel the same for me than holding barbell on shoulders while executing
plie/sumo. That is why instinctively I tried a different way of holding the barbell. I could have opted for a dumbbell.
I had my barbell and plate already set so it was easy to just grab a plate quickly rather than pause for my adjustable
heavy dumbbell. I did weighted vest plus dumbbell in the past for a pyramid up and down. This time I planned for
a BB only since I do not solely train with my favourite toy BB often:)

Now holding in chest?--- Do you mean Front squat? That is one my favourite squat variation. This hit the outer
part of quads aka quads sweep.:) Since I am loving going low these days, I also feel it in my glute. This gives the
butt the rounded shape:):p Front squat is one of the most challenging variation of traditional squat.:)
Oh even while executing a front squat depending on the width you keep feet a part, again you hit your quads differently.
Somehow the closer my feet are the more I hit the upper outer part of my quads. Those are places i found difficult to hit.;);)

Last edited:
This morning was EBE2 Plyo Upper Body + Peak Plyo Cardio + Total Body Stretch #3. That was exhausting! Excellent workouts tho.

Nathalie--no, I am referring to actual plie squats. Cathe frequently does them with a barbell and she holds the barbell with a close grip at the chest right under the chin. I actually don't like that variation because when I go heavy it hurts my wrist. I was actually reading my current Oxygen magazine yesterday and they had the exact plie variation using a barbell you referred to! They called it sumo deadlifts. I have actually seen and done them before--I think it is an Amy Bentos workout that does sumo deadlifts. That's actually what Pauline Nordin calls them, too--but they are plies with dumbbells held in front of you. I actually prefer that variation over all the others.

This morning was EBE2 Plyo Upper Body + Peak Plyo Cardio + Total Body Stretch #3. That was exhausting! Excellent workouts tho.

Nathalie--no, I am referring to actual plie squats. Cathe frequently does them with a barbell and she holds the barbell with a close grip at the chest right under the chin. I actually don't like that variation because when I go heavy it hurts my wrist. I was actually reading my current Oxygen magazine yesterday and they had the exact plie variation using a barbell you referred to! They called it sumo deadlifts. I have actually seen and done them before--I think it is an Amy Bentos workout that does sumo deadlifts. That's actually what Pauline Nordin calls them, too--but they are plies with dumbbells held in front of you. I actually prefer that variation over all the others.

Jen---I think I know the hold you are referring to. I usually just curl my barbell. I rely on my bi&tri plus forearm strength. Here is an illustration: It is from 1:40

That being said there is definitely a difference between sumo deadlift and sumo squat

This is sumo squat, this is what I referred to as a variation.

This below is sumo deadlift. we do not do this with cathe.
Cathe do make us do stiff wide stance deadlift which is different.

Last edited:
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. I hate holding the barbell that way for plie squats. I have intermittent/chronic wrist issues, so that hold aggravates them. And the sumo squat is the same thing as a plie squat, but that is what I was referring to that Pauline does, Ingrid does them and of course Cathe does them--and they all do them w/ dumbbells. Amy Bento does the sumo/plie squat with a barbell in Slo Mo Legs and I don't remember having a problem with it being a barbell at the time, so I guess it's not awkward. BTW--I wasn't saying a wide stance deadlift and a sumo deadlift are the same thing. I know the difference.

That last front squat video you posted was very cool and what a great idea! I know I've done front squats before, but since I do my workouts from DVDs, I can't remember which trainer did them. Does Cathe do them? I know they are done in RIPT90 but with dumbbells not a barbell. But I remember doing them with the barbell. So it must have been Cathe because not many workout DVDs use a barbell. I know Amy Bento uses a barbell and Sagi does in Body Beast and Cathe. I will have to remember that technique! I like it!

Today I did Maximum Intensity Strength again. I went heavier on all the leg exercises and some of the upper body work, and I am feeling it! Such a great, basic, total body workout.

Svetlana, yes, Squeeze Stronger is a barre workout. Tracy does use heavier weights for her upper body work, and I bump my weights up even a bit more. She does A LOT of reps so you can't go super heavy. It's a long workout, but really good, and it does have some shorter premixed included.

Here are my workouts for the past week.

Day 1 Push 1
Day 2 Cathe's x-10 Hi/lo
Day 3 Push 2
Day 4 Cathe's X-10 Fat burning circuit
Day 5 Push 3
Day 6 You Tube video hiit + foam rolling

I enjoyed the past week's workout. Of course DH remarked now that's Cathe right. Yep, it was a mix of Cathe and Chalene last week. which
worked well for me, plus the youtube workout. I liked the variety. Also, i completed Push Circuit 3. yeah. Next week i will start the lean circuit. My husband made a totally unsolicited comment over the weekend that he could really see a difference in my physique. I never ask him if he notices any changes. If my body is changing and I'm reaching my goals, then i don't have to ask, he will notice too. So he confirmed what i was seeing as well. I definitely have visible results. I won't take any measurements until the end of this last phase.

By the way, I like the free workouts that are available on youtube. i plan to start incorporating more of these into my rotation. I purchased a foam roller this weekend. I stopped my monthly massages due to the cost and I was impressed with how well the foam rolling worked. I'm using the rumble roller. Got it from Dick's Sporting Goods and I was quite impressed. My back actually didn't feel as tight the next day.

I'm also planning to get a Bosu. Chalene uses it in some of her you tube videos, as well as other instructors. Well I hope everyone is doing well and staying focused on their goals. Have a great week.

This morning was EBE2 Weights + Plyo Legs and OMG. This was brutal. I was struggling. Ingrid was struggling. Definitely harder than STS Plyo Legs. Even tho STS Plyo Legs is challenging I can get through it using the weights the workout manager selects for me every time. I had to drop my dumbbells at one point during this workout just to complete the workout. Btw--I LOVED it! (o: Planned doubles is PFLO Anaerobic Capacity. I'm dreading this one because I hated Aerobic Capacity. Hope this one is better.

I'm very excited! I feel like I have my STS rotation ironed out finally. I have September/Meso 1 completed and the basic structure for Meso 2 and 3 complete. All I really need to do on those two is determine what I will be doing for doubles. I am pretty excited about the strong glute focus and using several programs hybrid together w/ STS: Butt Bible, EBE2 and Ultimatum. Looks like a winner rotation! I'm doing good with IFing so I just need to clean up my diet for STS and I'll be set!

Saturday I did Weider Ruthless Fast Slow Burn Circuit. Another good workout from that series! Afterwards, I did Skogg's Roots Level 1 Kettlebell workout. Since this was the beginner's workout it was only about ten minutes in length. He basically has you do the six basic moves you learned in the intro DVD. As you progress from a beginner to more advanced the workout on this DVD is basically the same, the duration just gets longer, I believe. After Skogg, I did Workout 1 from the RKS Kettlebell series. This workout was 20 minutes long and consisted only of two handed kettlebell swings. You would swing for 30 seconds and then rest for 45. You did this over and over for 20 minutes. I won't lie this did get a little boring, but I was getting a pretty decent cardio workout swinging that bell around so I didn't mind it too much. I'm hoping the workouts will get a little more interesting as you progress through the series.

Yesterday, I did Ript90's Minute by Minute workout again which consists of 20 sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 15 squats. It's a nice little metabolic workout. I was then planning on moving onto Ript90's shoulder workout, but as soon as I started the shoulder work I quickly realized that my arms were just too burnt out from all those pull ups and push ups (as well as all those KB swings from the day before). So I jumped on the treadmill and walked for a bit.

Today I woke up and my left shoulder is a little sore--almost like I may have tweaked it or something so I decided to take a rest day. I'm not sure if the pain is from yesterday's workout or all those KB swings from Saturday. Since it didn't hurt yesterday, my guess is that it's from all those pull ups and push ups yesterday. Regardless of the cause, I certainly don't want to make it worse. If it still hurts tomorrow, I may just make this week a recovery week and focus on more cardio based workouts (not involving weights or bells). I definitely don't think it's anything serious, but it's the kind of pain that I know better than to work through.

Hi Everyone,

Today's workout was Rockout knockout premix cardio with gloves ( I did sub weighted --- gloves).
followed by Pyramid up and down Upper body. I had a great workout. It started with a medium intensity
cardio kickbox premix . At the end of the program I was happy it was over. The premix met the purpose I was
aiming at. Pre-exhaust the upper body. I am feeling it now but It is all good:):)

Mary: I think you will have fun trying Rockout. It is not as intense as hardstrike but it is good. I will be
adding it to my upperbody rotation. It has good premix already made in DVD. Very handy, all i have to
do is pop it in the player!

SarBear: skogg kettlebell program is a great one. I started exploring it last year and stopped just before I started
travelling for work. I need to fully try it out.:):) Instructions are one of the best I have ever come across.
I also have AOS to try out:(:( Most of kb moves can be demanding on shoulders IMO. It sounds like you
you worked shoulders two following days. Even though the drill is cardio, it is still work your shoulders. May be
that is the reason you need more time to recover.

Healing 11: What is push? Congratulation on your result. I am the same I no longer take measurement. For me the
journey has been way too long but very pleasant that I no longer take measurement. I just track by the
way i fit in my clothes.

Jodi: Glad you are loving MIS. I have re-visit this one in years.

Svetlana: thanks for sending the private message. Sorry still need to look into it.

Hope you are having a good day.
Will report later during the week:);)

Day 1 of phase 2. More sets fewer reps. Added 5# to bench press 5X8 and 10# to the 1x8 set Added 5# to barbell curls, doing 5 sets of 8 reps instead of 4x10. Suspended pushups 5x8 and inverted pull ups 5x8. I will be curious as to strength gains that result from this program..kinda fun so far..7 More weeks!!

Hi Everyone,

Today's workout was Rockout knockout premix cardio with gloves ( I did sub weighted --- gloves).
followed by Pyramid up and down Upper body. I had a great workout. It started with a medium intensity
cardio kickbox premix . At the end of the program I was happy it was over. The premix met the purpose I was
aiming at. Pre-exhaust the upper body. I am feeling it now but It is all good:):)

Mary: I think you will have fun trying Rockout. It is not as intense as hardstrike but it is good. I will be
adding it to my upperbody rotation. It has good premix already made in DVD. Very handy, all i have to
do is pop it in the player!

SarBear: skogg kettlebell program is a great one. I started exploring it last year and stopped just before I started
travelling for work. I need to fully try it out.:):) Instructions are one of the best I have ever come across.
I also have AOS to try out:(:( Most of kb moves can be demanding on shoulders IMO. It sounds like you
you worked shoulders two following days. Even though the drill is cardio, it is still work your shoulders. May be
that is the reason you need more time to recover.

Healing 11: What is push? Congratulation on your result. I am the same I no longer take measurement. For me the
journey has been way too long but very pleasant that I no longer take measurement. I just track by the
way i fit in my clothes.

Jodi: Glad you are loving MIS. I have re-visit this one in years.

Svetlana: thanks for sending the private message. Sorry still need to look into it.

Hope you are having a good day.
Will report later during the week:);)

Hi Natalie,

Chalean Extreme is a Circuit Training Program. Every 30 days is a different phase. The first phase is the Burn Circuit, the next 30 days is the Push Circuit and the final 30 days is the Lean Circuit. It is not as hard as a Cathe workout. I enjoy Chalene's personality and the workouts are short. Even though the workouts are shorter and not as hard as Cathe, my body responds well to this program. Sometimes for me, less seems to be more.

[="healing11, post: 2312081, member: 144942"]Hi Natalie,

Chalean Extreme is a Circuit Training Program. Every 30 days is a different phase. The first phase is the Burn Circuit, the next 30 days is the Push Circuit and the final 30 days is the Lean Circuit. It is not as hard as a Cathe workout. I enjoy Chalene's personality and the workouts are short. Even though the workouts are shorter and not as hard as Cathe, my body responds well to this program. Sometimes for me, less seems to be more.

[/QUOTE]

:) Change is good, Glad you are having some some response.

Today I decided to focus on lower body in an effort to continue to let my shoulder rest (which by the way feels much better than yesterday, but still is a little sore) so I did Ript90's Deadlift Killer. This workout always really fries my legs! Thank goodness he only has you go through the circuit three times or else this workout would give me some serious dread.

Today I did Ballet Physique's Signature Sculpt. It's a great workout, but unfortunately I probably won't be doing it again. This was the one I had to get a replacement DVD for because the first one I bought kept freezing and skipping. Well, the replacement also has issues. It was not as bad as the first one but enough to irritate me. Maybe I'll see if it's on sale at Total Fitness DVDs, but otherwise, I'll just write it off as a loss. :(

@SarBear What type of deadlift is Ript90 making you do?
I wish you a prompt and full recovery for your shoulder.

While we are on deadlift topic, I would like to share tips with you. It's an article and video on how to
get the most of romanian deadlift targetting glutes, aka stiff-deadlift. Hope you find it helpful!:)
Will check in later reporting yesterday and today's workout.;)

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/train...how-to-target-glutes-with-romanian-deadlifts/

Nathalie-

Here is the breakdown of the workout (taken from Jen's blog):

Exercises:
20 Dead-Lifts
20 One-Leg Dead-Lifts (10 on each leg)

20 Straight Leg Dead-Lifts

20 One-Leg Straight Leg Dead-Lifts (10 each leg)

20 Sumo Dead-Lifts
25 Sit Ups
Do this circuit 3 times
Finisher:
50 Jumping Lunges

If you use challenging weights, this is one heck of a workout! I'm definitely feeling it today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.