Body parts 2X/week

It's like I always hear fitness gurus say....."Long, lean muscle".....Karen's got that in spades! While I, on the other hand, lean more towards "short, stocky muscle". Those extra few inches on my legs might be worth the pain?

I'm between 5'7" and 5'8", and still have short, stocky legs. Nothing like Karen's beautiful legs in the pic at all. So sad. I've always wished I was 5'10" or 5'11", LOL. I think almost every woman under 5'10" or so wishes they had a few more inches in leg length. ;)

:D:D:D

LOL I love the way you just say it. Harsh way to pass on a message some DO NOT want to hear!
Well, It has got to be said.:D
It makes two of us Liz:(

I really was just referring to myself and my own absurd, totally untested belief system, LOL. Y'all know I love my aerobics, leg lifts, and floorwork in general! People can get great results with daily floorwork, but that doesn't mean it's truly necessary, or the only way to achieve nice legs. I was also awfully dumb for not even trying heavy leg training on a trial basis before adopting my "standing leg work puts on bulk" stance of yesteryear. Mostly I was just saying that my previous belief system wasn't based on experience as much as it was based on fears. That's where the problem was for me.

Y'all know if I want to call out a trainer on bogus claims or stupid things preached, I'll just come right out and say it. :) I can't help it. I don't try to be harsh, I just have a very low tolerance for unproven claims. :D I think split-style training is great. I also think total-body routines are great. Beginners usually need to start with either a total-body routine or a very modified split-style training with plenty of rest days to avoid overtraining. Doing the Gym Styles probably would have killed me as a beginner. I shudder to think of the DOMS that would have given me...:D Like Cathe preaches, we definitely need variety and muscle confusion.

Some of us need more floorwork than others (or leg training in general), more frequently than others. Same with abs, same with arms, etc. I can't get by with anything less that two days of serious leg training each week. It's just my body type. And I still do truly need a LOT of floorwork, because I lose the look of muscle tone very fast. As an endomorph, I also have to train hard all the time simply because I put on fat so easily.

I think it was Elsie who said that some body part-specific training helped her scoliosis. I think it's wonderful training can do that! She made a great point about each of us needing to adapt our training to not only look a certain way, but to support good health and feeling well. I completely agree. Regular weight-training, aerobics, and stretching have healed so many issues with my own arthritis and fibromyalgia. While I train hard, I also know my limitations. I can't train abs more than three times a week, or I start to irritate the discs in my back and make my neck hurt. It's not a form issue, just my particular physiology. It's just a problem some people have with their discs getting more easily irritated or out of alignment. Same limits apply with Pilates. However, some can train abs daily and feel just fine. I truly support whatever training strategy helps people look and feel their best. :)

LOL I love the way you just say it. Harsh way to pass on a message some DO NOT want to hear!
Well, It has got to be said.:D
It makes two of us Liz:(

Hi Liz,

I have used the word "harsh" cause I had a past post claiming I was harsh in my quotes in mind.
That being said that was an individual interpretation of my post which was not in any Way harsh.

I like being REAL. There is going to be claims not supported by studies
and training principles(bogus claim) I will politely, respectfully and constructively call out. I will politely agree to disagree.
I would expect the counterpart to just approach the disagreement in the same manner for civility sake.:):)
Barre, split, total body, dance based cardio ....Type of training have all their place in daily routine depending on the goal pursued.

Just as many other women I have been bombarded by sickening noises that barre were the only ultimate
type of workout to slim legs. Good for those who solely gain the leg slimming goal for a lifetime:eek:.
I am a firm believer of mixing up type of training and intensity. I love intensity and will aim to get some in any
type of training I will be doing. Not everyone cup of tea but It is mine.:) Cross training is the way to go.
This is proven by various litterature. Cross training is also suitable to the majority of fitness enthusiast to keep a lifetime
motivation. Living in a free world, working out with the flow is fine for those who want to do so.

So Liz at no time I thought you were harsh in your quotes:):)
I do not think I have ever been harsh in any way either:)

Last edited:
Hi Liz,

I have used the word "harsh" cause I had a past post claiming I was harsh in my quotes in mind.
That being said that was an individual interpretation of my post which was not in any Way harsh.

I like being REAL. There is going to be claims not supported by studies
and training principles(bogus claim) I will politely, respectfully and constructively call out. I will politely agree to disagree.
I would expect the counterpart to just approach the disagreement in the same manner for civility sake.:):)
Barre, split, total body, dance based cardio ....Type of training have all their place in daily routine depending on the goal pursued.

Just as many other women I have been bombarded by sickening noises that barre were the only ultimate
type of workout to slim legs. Good for those who solely gain the leg slimming goal for a lifetime:eek:.
I am a firm believer of mixing up type of training and intensity. I love intensity and will aim to get some in any
type of training I will be doing. Not everyone cup of tea but It is mine.:) Cross training is the way to go.
This is proven by various litterature. Cross training is also suitable to the majority of fitness enthusiast to keep a lifetime
motivation. Living in a free world, working out with the flow is fine for those who want to do so.

So Liz at no time I thought you were harsh in your quotes:):)
I do not think I have ever been harsh in any way either:)

I never took any offense at all with what you said, Nathalie. I just wanted to clarify that I was only referring to my own belief system in the past. When we're younger, we tend to take more things that trainers and such say at face value. I was no different. As one gets older, (hopefully) they realize critical analysis of every claim is needed. I am ALL about spreading the message of critical analysis and making people back up their claims with facts and unbiased research, if such a lack of bias is possible. I think we both share that trait. :)

Lisa, you're so kind. I was a personal trainer a few years ago. I got busy, and let my certification lapse. I keep thinking about it, but then I think nobody wants to train with an "older lady." But I did love it. In Seattle I was a gym member at a place where the busiest personal trainer was an older lady, a little overweight, but she knew her stuff, and people were not intimidated by her, because she didn't look like an actress. She used to put them through the paces. Lots of balance work, like squats on the bosu, she was great.

Wow yes you NEED to get your certifications renewed or something! There are so many "older women " who may not be competing but would love to look like one or at least close to it. I really think most people young or old would RATHER work with someone older that knows there stuff! If I go to someone lets say in there 20's and late 20's I just do not feel as if they know much! Lol I know they know the new stuff out there but so do the "older women" or middle aged women. Any one 35 and up I would listen to because I know they have seen pretty much everything and have tried everything, AND learns the new as well as old. I would respect them a lot more especially if you look pretty fit yourself! I think if you really enjoyed it and you still look pretty fit then go for it !! I bet you would have a ton of clients! I mean look at Cathe?! What is her age? I do not think she is too old and she is what I would call seasoned! Knows her stuff and you can pick her brain on what REALLY works and what is just hype or the next FAD. I hope I am making sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a Viking too! (I have 'Viking Finger' or Dupuytren's Contracture). I'm fair and tall - but still can't put on enough muscle.
No wonder we get on

Second that fair and tall part. I'm not descended from Vikings, although I am part German. Close enough, I guess. Wish I had the trim look you do though, Justine. None of us has it all, I guess. Well, except maybe Karen (based on her competition photo). Sigh. :D

Second that fair and tall part. I'm not descended from Vikings, although I am part German. Close enough, I guess. Wish I had the trim look you do though, Justine. None of us has it all, I guess. Well, except maybe Karen (based on her competition photo). Sigh. :D

There was a time when I didn't have it all. In fact I've never had it all. When I delivered a couple of my babies, I weighed almost as much as my husband. (Some pregnancies are definitely easier than others) My oldest son was four years old, when he died of cancer. I had a tough time pulling myself together. Everyone has potential to be the best at something. We just have to figure out what that is, and work our butts off for it. My Dad told me many years ago. "Find your passion, and you will never work a day in your life." Here's to my very wise, and fabulous Dad!!

Last edited:
Karen - not only are you physically strong, you're mentally strong as well. You obviously get it from such a great dad!
You are so right Justine! I gulped pretty hard when I read about Karen losing her son, and realized that we all have tremendous hardship in our lives that either make us crumble or allow us to become our very best selves. Karen obviously decided not to crumble. I admire that.

You are so right Justine! I gulped pretty hard when I read about Karen losing her son, and realized that we all have tremendous hardship in our lives that either make us crumble or allow us to become our very best selves. Karen obviously decided not to crumble. I admire that.

Love your philosophy Nancy:)

There was a time when I didn't have it all. In fact I've never had it all. When I delivered a couple of my babies, I weighed almost as much as my husband. (Some pregnancies are definitely easier than others) My oldest son was four years old, when he died of cancer. I had a tough time pulling myself together. Everyone has potential to be the best at something. We just have to figure out what that is, and work our butts off for it. My Dad told me many years ago. "Find your passion, and you will never work a day in your life." Here's to my very wise, and fabulous Dad!!
Karen, I just read this. I remembered you saying you watched your son go through chemo, and wreaked havoc on his 'poor little body'. I thought these were a mother's words -- our babies will always be little to us. But he was still a baby, my goodness. I don't have any words, or any way to understand, but you have my utmost respect for the unfathomable hardships you've lived through and my deep admiration for your positive midset.
Roz

Karen I didn't see this earlier. I can't even imagine what that would be like. I guess our life experiences make us who we are and yours have made someone very special..the respect of so many of these forum members proves that .As a Dad I hope my sons feels the same bond with me as you and your Dad.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.