Body Beast

catwoman7631

Cathlete
Hey all, I know some on here were interested in the Body Beast program from Beachbody. Well, I found out it's on sale starting today. The basic package is only $39.90, and all other packages with extras are also on sale but not that cheap. I ordered mine!

I bought it from the beachbody site but I believe Mary at totalfitness also had the same price - I'm in Canada so the shipping was more reasonable through beachbody for some reason.

Body Beast reviews?

I have been curious about this program but not enough to purchase it until now (that's a good price!). Has anyone on this forum done the program and if so, what are your thoughts? How does it compare to STS or Gym Styles?

I have been curious about this program but not enough to purchase it until now (that's a good price!). Has anyone on this forum done the program and if so, what are your thoughts? How does it compare to STS or Gym Styles?

Jen, the workouts are intense and typically shorter than Cathe's workouts, ranging from approx 30-50 minutes. The cardio is limited, especially during the Bulk phase, so I just can't motivate myself to follow the Body Beast rotation to a "T." I find the instructor to be a likeable guy, but he does talk a lot about being a "beast" and being "beastly" during the workouts, so be prepared for some machismo while you sweat!

Overall, I still prefer Cathe's heavier weight series because I like a more even balance between strength and cardio. Body Beast is still a good series, though, and I find it more appealing than P90X--better workouts, instructor is less annoying, etc. I'm glad to have it in my workout collection.

Beast is a good program. I like his use of minimal equipment, the variety that I incorporate with Cathe's workouts, and the fact that the background exercisers don't use ridiculous amounts of weights...they are comparable to what we cathletes would use.

Even though this is a BUILD muscle program because he uses alot of weight lifting techniques like pyramiding up and down and drop sets etc, as a result you find that you DON'T end up using heavy weights like in Cathe's heavy weight program. That's why the guys on set aren't using heavy weights and you won't either with this style of workout. But you will increase weights in time AND gain muscle mass with this program. It just doesn't require heavy weight loads. I think he designed it like this also because we would be doing this at home. And also these are the latest greatest techniques in weight lifting for build and bulk. :D

I got mine in the mail today from Mary @ TFDVDs! Well how-in-the-world did THAT happen? ;) :D

I'm actually watching it right now. I was thinking that I'd start it when my Achilles tendon was completely healed. But what-the-heck, I might start it tomorrow morning before my first physical therapy session. I'd just do the upper body and do floorwork/barre for lower body. I can't do cardio right now anyway.

It looks pretty good!!!!

I got mine in the mail today from Mary @ TFDVDs! Well how-in-the-world did THAT happen? ;) :D

I'm actually watching it right now. I was thinking that I'd start it when my Achilles tendon was completely healed. But what-the-heck, I might start it tomorrow morning before my first physical therapy session. I'd just do the upper body and do floorwork/barre for lower body. I can't do cardio right now anyway.

It looks pretty good!!!!

Mary:

you have my sympathies re: achilles tendonitis. I've had this this summer also, did the therapy and am continuing with all the recommended exercises at home. Now I'm 49 and things are losing their elasticity, I figure I'll continue to do them forever. They work. Takes a little while though: I injured mine in mid-May, here we are late July and I'm starting to think maybe I could start a little impact work....

Even with the tendonitis, I was able to do lower body weight training, no problem. Just no real cardio, bummer!

Stick with the program, be gentle and patient, and all will be well.

Clare

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I ordered it! I watched a 2 minute trailer for it and now I am pretty excited! It looks like it will be tough and effective and I like the length of the workouts.

Another question

Another question for those of you who have done Body Beast. How necessary is an EZ curl bar? Can I substitute a regular barbell and get the same resulta?

We don't have an EZ curl bar. Have just used dumbbells and a regular bar instead and it's worked out just fine. I usually substitute dumbbells for most bar exercises anyway because the barbell strains my elbow too much!

To those who have done Body Beast, did you up your calorie intake as much as the program instructs? Also, did you follow the program as is or did you add more cardio into the rotation? I can't imagine eating that much food and doing so little cardio!

To those who have done Body Beast, did you up your calorie intake as much as the program instructs? Also, did you follow the program as is or did you add more cardio into the rotation? I can't imagine eating that much food and doing so little cardio!

I never follow any of the nutritional plans that come with the Beach Body workouts, and I am not a calorie counter. If I *had* to guess, I'd say I consume anywhere from 2000 to 2500 calories/day. I eat to satisfy my hunger, so some days I eat more and some days I eat less. I try to get most of my calories from protein, produce, and healthy fats. I also eat complex carbs like oatmeal, quinoa, air-popped popcorn. That approach has worked for me, regardless of the exercise program I am following.

And yes, I need more cardio in my rotations! I'm not looking to cardio for weight loss since that's not my goal so I don't add it in daily, but I need about 3 cardio sessions a week to relieve stress and anxiety. Any less than that and I am a cranky, grouchy mess! :p When I'm trying to build muscle, as with Body Beast, I do make sure the cardio is shorter in duration. Maybe 2 HiiT sessions (about 20-30 mins) and 1 longer steady state session (45-60 mins). Too much cardio can undermine the body's ability to build muscle.

I don't have an EZ bar either, and I don't feel the need for one.

I, too, never follow the nutrition programs included with the workout set. I use the clothes-feel method to monitor my weight.

Lisa, I am just like you when it comes to food intake and cardio. I was thinking of mixing in 2 or 3 short Cathe HiiT premixes and one day of treadmill. Nothing too extreme or lengthy.

To those who have done Body Beast, did you up your calorie intake as much as the program instructs? Also, did you follow the program as is or did you add more cardio into the rotation? I can't imagine eating that much food and doing so little cardio![/QUOT

Does the nutrition guide factor in women? I heard it was for men? Are the exercises okay for women? Not too much traps and upper body work and too little leg? Just wanted to know it wont turn me into an upside down triangle....P90X sort of did that.

I hated Body Beast. I sent it back to Beachbody for a refund.

The warm-up and cool down appear to be thrown in to "cover his ass" because they suck. You will need to use one of Cathe's DVDs for the warm-up and cool down.

Just because a former bodybuilder comes out with a fitness program doesn't mean it is any good. I wasn't impressed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.