Biggest Loser ????????????

Jazcam

Cathlete
I watched last night show. I don't understand how can a person who weighs 400 pounds ride a bike for over 1 hour? :rolleyes: I have relatives who are morbidly obese and they can't even walk up a flight of stairs.

I'm starting not to believe the things that happens on the biggest loser;).

What do you think?

I watched last night show. I don't understand how can a person who weighs 400 pounds ride a bike for over 1 hour? :rolleyes: I have relatives who are morbidly obese and they can't even walk up a flight of stairs.

What do you think?

I don't watch the show, but I think people can find all sorts of motivation to do things when there's a lot $$ involved. I mean that in all seriousness. External motivation may not lead to long term succes, but it can work very well short term.

I also think that people often self-impose limits beneath their actual capabilities, so if someone pushes them and says, "YOU CAN DO THIS!" it forces them out of their comfort zone and they discover, yeah, they can bike for an hour.

JMHO--estimated value = $.02) :)

Good points, Joan!

I was having a hard time believing that the man that weighed over 500 lbs could even WALK around or GET around , anywhere! Did you see him pick up Jillian? She looked toddler sized near him!

As crazy as this show is, it makes me happy to see these people get their lives saved. They really are on the brink of death or debilitating illnesses.

Boy, the ratings would really go through the roof then, huh?!

LOL!!!!!

Maybe that's what they're trying for?

A few of those contestants really LOOKED dead during a few seasons. Tracey from last season. That older guy that was a police officer (there with his daughter), or the older couple, the man passed completely out exercising.

What do you think?

That is a very individual thing. When I weighed 282lbs I could still do Cathe's step (on a 4 inch step) the full hour, without modifications...of course it took me half an hour to get from the couch to the showers...no joke.:eek:

What do you think?

They seem to have an interesting and selective mix of contestants. Even though the contestants are obese, or morbidly obese, they seem to be very mobile and able to exercise. They seem to have them running on day one:eek:! I think there are more people who are morbidly obese who would not be able to do those things because their lung capacity is bad, their joints won't allow it, etc. Those are not the people who get picked to be on the show.

Carrie

I am always struck by how mobile these people are also given their weight. Last night only the two twins seemed to have real mobility issues. How do they find people that are so overweight yet able, given their medical conditions and the extra weight on their bodies/feet, to work out like they require them too? Most people who are that overweight just can't workout that much or hard.

I am always struck by how mobile these people are also given their weight. Last night only the two twins seemed to have real mobility issues. How do they find people that are so overweight yet able, given their medical conditions and the extra weight on their bodies/feet, to work out like they require them too? Most people who are that overweight just can't workout that much or hard.

It sounded like most of them had been overweight all their lives. I wonder if because they have carried extra weight for so long, as a result they built up the extra muscle mass and endurance to carry it.

But, if you gained an extra 100 pounds overnight, that'd be a different story and you'd keel over because you wouldn't have the strength to support it.

Does that make sense?? :p

I think a lot of it is based on the money. At the same time the mind is definitely stronger than the body. If the contestants weren't truly capable of the challenges I don't think the biggest loser doctors would give them clearance to be on the show

Jillian was talking about that...how we don't see the hours of training...just a few minutes here and there....and we definitely aren't shown the recovery, stretching, icing, post workout support.
Bob mentioned that the medical testing these contestants go thru is world class and covers every possible facet of their health....including psychological.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.