Better results working out at home, or gym...does anyone know?

eaglobo

Cathlete
Just curious if anyone is aware of any research to prove that you get better results with at home workouts?? I know I have seen better results at home. I think it requires a stronger commitment to workout at home, therefore resulting in better results.

I just wish I had discovered Cathe's workouts long before I did, I can't begin to tell you how many times I would drive to the gym, get myself ready mentally and physically, only to spend way too much energy asking the member ahead of my to kindly move their coffee cup off the machine I am legitimately trying to use, I'd end up leaving, no workout done, worse mood because of the experience.

I can honestly say, since I've been following Cathe, I finally feel I am getting the results, both mental and physical, that I should have been getting all along!

I love working out at home! You can do it anytime that is good for you. Also you can get down to business stat! Also I like to wear the ugliest workout attire imaginable! I can hop into my own shower right after.

I have a gym membership to work out with my MIL and I prefer working out at home. I also save gas when I workout at home.

Cathe DVD's pretty much guarentee you will have a tougher more time saving workout with her then on your own.

I love working out with Cathe at home too. I get a better workout. I meet DH a couple of afternoons at the gym but that is more like a "date". I feel intimidated at the gym. And at home, I don't have to look "pretty" to workout:) I push myself really hard with Cathe too. And if I trip on the step, no one knows but me;-)

I feel I get better results working out at home so I spent the money and built a gym in my home.

At the gym, I became too chatty with the regulars.
Getting ready and driving to the gym added extra time, so some days I wouldn't go because I didn't have the extra time.

At home, I can workout the minute I wake up, concentrate with less distractions, never have to wait for any of the equipment. There is no need to comb my hair, or wear respectable looking clothing. I can workout in my underwear if I feel like it!!!

I have gotten the best results of my life since I gave up the gym entirely. I ONLY workout at home now and have for about 1 1/2 years. I love it. I've been working out with Cathe for 4 years now but always considered the gym my main source of working out. Now I don't have to pack clothes or toiletries to shower, I don't have to work my schedule around the hours of the gym or the classes, no fighting for machines, no obnoxious men or women around...the list goes on and on. I am leaner, stronger and SO much happier since I gave up the gym. Cathe is my savior!! :D

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I have only worked out at home and my results have been amazing. If I depended on going to a gym, I'd never go. I just moved my workout equipment in a larger room and I now have a mini-gym. I could train people in it if I wanted too. :)

>At home, I can workout the minute I wake up, concentrate with
>less distractions, never have to wait for any of the
>equipment.

That's probably my #1 reason for loving working out at home so much. I literally roll out of bed in the morning and head for the basement. And then I can just hop in the shower right away. No driving home in sweaty, nasty clothes, no showering in dirty showers at the gym. Hey, with gas prices the way they are, I'm glad I workout at home--no more driving back and forth to the gym!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I am glad you posted this b/c I was going to post the following anyway. First of all, I posted a similar topic to this a while back b/c I was considering quitting the gym, but it was sort of like a security blanket. I had just discovered Cathe workouts, though, and was crazy about them. After lots of thinking, and realizing how much I hated going to the gym (it was a new gym to me and just wasn't my thing, for some reason) and really wasn't doing it so much anymore, but here I was working out at home and loving it, I quit. Still, though, I worried that I would lose what I had worked for, even though Cathe workouts are TOUGH! Well, I have a few remaining days to my membership so after about two months of being away, I went back. Guess what - I am SO much stronger than when I left (and I never saw any gains at the gym). I love having my own equipment right here, it is clean - no germs, nasty hairs (GROSS) or drippy sweat (YUK)...unless the sweat is my own! I can work out whenever I want to without having to drive, deal with possible traffic, etc, and I can have the washer going or whatever and get two things done at once. The last positive benefit is this - I have knee trouble, and sometimes lower back. After the workout at the gym Sunday, my knees are still killing me. Now I know what was wrong for so long. Not sure which machine it is, but they hurt like crazy still, just like they used to. I never have knee or back trouble with Cathe workouts. My elbow still gets me sometimes, no matter where I work out, but I make do with those moves. It is frustrating, but only hurts when I do the tricep work, and only some of that. Nothing like the knees that hurt all day long now. So, after that long bit, I say YEAH, NO MORE GYM! I have already moved another piece of furniture out of the bedroom (my personal gym) to make room for a new something or another ;)

RE: Better results working out at home, or gym...does a...

I do all of my weight work at home and do most of my cardio these days at the gym. That being said it is impossible for me to say where I get the better work out.

I can say that if not for home work outs I may never have been successful at making exercise a daily and natural part of my life. I only got into the gym scene after spending about 3 years working out solely at home and only joined because I wanted access to a treadmill so that I could start running. I was never motivated enough to go to the gym until my habits had already changed and working out, to me, was like changing my underwear. ;)

All of this being said, if I had a big enough room and enough money to make a work out room the way I wanted it with all of the equipment I want to use then I would cancel my gym membership in a heartbeat!:)

Another vote for working out at home! I gave up my gym membership last year, and haven't looked back (although I do miss the Turbo Jam classes they offered!:)). A few years ago, I had a lot more energy to go to the gym after work, but that got harder and harder for me. Working out at home is much easier, so I'm back to working out much more frequently.

Even though I grumble all the time about how I'm not where I want to be with my shape, I'm honestly in the best shape of my life, thanks to Cathe! She kicks by rear end -- in a good way, of course! }(

I do both.

I have minimal equipment (relatively speaking - about two cupboards full) at home. Hate clutter. I love workout videos.

I like gyms because I love people. I am super committed to working out while I am exercising but socializing before and after is fun. I also like gym equipment. I only developed the interest in lifting at a gym thanks to doing Cathe weight workouts.

After discovering Cardio Coach and iTrain, I no longer like choreo intense cardio. I still like drill/athletic/kickbox cardio.

For yoga I prefer videos best because I get to train with so many styles from fabulous instructors.

But I think you can get as good results from either.

~* Vrinda *~

>But I think you can get as good results from either.

ITA. I think what it really comes down to is what environment is going to motivate you to work out harder or more often.

If the gym environment motivates you then that's what will work for you. If the thought of going to the gym is no better then sticking a needle in your eye, then obviously it's not a good choice. LOL

I think you will get an equally good work out and fabulous results anywhere you work out so long as you are motivated to actually DO the work outs!:)

I don;t think there will ever be any research to prove or disprove either theory.. most people get "home gyms" and they turn into coat racks lol.
My BF figured that when I quit my gym and started my home gym collection.
Much to his surprise, I worked out MORE and HARDER than at the gym (don't think he realized how hardcore about it I was hee).

Anyway most people try the home gym thinking it will make a difference and it doesn't (these are mostly the people that WATCH the fitness channel while eating a bag pof chips lol)

If you're gunna workout you're gunna try no matter what.
I HATED the gym. I was living in a smaller town at the time I got the membership and, as you would expect, the gym was lame. Same fat people going there every day and looking the same every year.. out-of-shape boobs falling asleep on the leg press and, as usual, the worst music in the world.
Made me angry and frustrated-- I didn;'t even want to go there anymore. I am someone that needs big motivation to stay focused at the gym-- and music (and other moderatly-in-shape people) makes ALL the difference.
I love my home gym and would never go back. Im considering at this point going to a local gym once in a while to use some of the machines that I can't replicate at home (like pull downs and rower for back etc) and to help train a friend of mine.
But most at-home types are very hardcore and/or serious about their training and do it mostly for the freedom of using what they want-- when they want and not having to take turns and socialize with others when they'd rather be pumping irons :) (at least, that would be my best guess).
I also found it a drag to drive to the gym-- I would try and time it around the times when it would be least crowded. I don't want to have to wait, and sharing a machine or a bench discourages me from the exercise altogether and so I found sometimes my workouts would suffer from my impatience to wait for the area I wanted.
Sometimes Id go and there wouldn't even be a place wo park and I would just leave.. again,m another workout missed.
Now I can workout at 3AM if I want to (and have ;)
Ive gone home on a long break at work to pump out some bicep curls or somethinng if I knew I wouldn't have any other time to do anything-- and I love it!

>I don;t think there will ever be any research to prove or
>disprove either theory.. most people get "home gyms" and they
>turn into coat racks lol.

That is true!! The fitness equipment store I shop at has 3 grades of equipment. One of the sales people openly admitted they carry the lesser brands for the people who will turn their equipment into a coat rack.

If you are serious and have the space, it's worth the $$ to buy commercial/light commercial grade equipment. My husband and I added one expensive piece a year to our gym. Now that my boys are older they are using our gym too.

I love working out at home. I can do it in my pj's if I wanted too. I also multi task while exercising. I get a load of laundry done and a workout done at the same time. ;-)

But I do agree it is a personal preference between home and gym.

Jenn

I used to work out with a trainer at a gym and now I work out exclusively at home. I'm not aware of any study, but it seems only reasonable that the rate of success would be directly related to the level of commitment, no matter where you work out.

I can be lazy, and even when I had a trainer I was REALLY bad about doing the cardio part, which I was expected to do on my own. I mean, you don't pay a trainer to stand by your side for an hour while you're on a cardio machine unless you have buckets of money :p

Years ago when I used to go to the gym I saw great results.

The last three years that I have been doing at home workouts I've also seen great results. I find with the dvds I will eventually see better results as I'm sticking to the workouts and they push me harder than I would push myself at a gym.

No waiting for equipment, no crowds, no self consciousness, and no driving to the gym in the middle of winter at -35C.

I mostly work out at home. I enjoy the gym for the assisted pull up/dip station and leg press machines. Between picking up a challenging weight, and watching your diet, home workouts can be very effective!

Debbie- I will be than happy to drive up from Cincinnati and you can train me all you want!!! Your results are fabulous!:7

Hello Jerry,

I work out at home because I couldn't afford a personal trainer to show how to use the equipment and get the most out of them at the gym. All I ever did when I was using the gym was the cardio machines, running, cycling, cross trainer. I wanted to do more weights but did not know how to utilize the machines they have. With Cathe, she has a program for you to follow. I also find it more boring to work with weights in the gym because you have to count your reps and sets. With Cathe, all I need to do is follow the reps on screen. It's also more motivational because I would try and repeat all the sets, if I was doing it on my own I would probably give up after two and would NEVER do the pulses, low lunges or any movements that gives you the 'burn'.

Yen

Hi there-

I do both gym and workouts at home.

For me, it depends on what my goals are.. If I am trying to increase strength, then the gym works better for me as that I have access to machines that allow me to lift really heavy ( ie the machines, smith rack, and spotters.)

However, I worked out exclusively at home for over 10 years, and I made significantly major gains working out at home in my weight training schedule. Its only been over the last 2 years that I have been going to the gym to lift on a regular basis.

I do have to say that Cathe's ab workouts have given me better results than what I do at the gym. Probably because there is much more variety and she'll make me go longer than what I do at the gym.

For cardio, I'd much rather do a Cathe step or kickboxing tape then go to the gym to work out on a machine.

Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.