BE BACK IN A BIT

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
....taking my kids to CCD and will be back tonight...if you have questions keep posting them...that is if you're not too busy XTRAINING....wheeeee :D

Hi Cathe, Are you planning on following your rotation in the book?When STS first came out you set a start date for yourself and a bunch of us followed that. Not sure if your planning on doing that with Xtrain.

Either way, I plan to start Sunday and I am both excited and nervous... The workouts look amazing! Thank you for ALL that you do..
Cheers,
Frances

Hi Cathe. I was looking through the new xtrain book and was wondering about all of those premixes. Will you in the future months, have a rotation of just xtrain premixes?

Hi Cathe:

how are your boys? How old are they now? Are they into soccer, football, cross country? What did they get for Xmas?!!? Tell us all!

There are a million women on these forums who know intimately the expression "I've just got to run the kids over to x, y, z," and all it entails!

My daughters are now teens and have no interest in learning to drive themselves about, so I am still uttering that phrase and will be for a while...

Hope you are having some time to kick back with your boys over the holidays. Enjoy!

Clare

I am so excited to get started with the 30 day strength/cardio rotation. I started today and loved it. I also did SuperCuts yesterday and I feel stronger already. Cathe, thank for yet another superbly done program. I went to grade school with Al, so funny to see him in one of your videos.
Although my user name is Lina, Al knows me by Rosanna
Happy Healthy New Year to you and your family.

Hi Cathe, is it that I'm weak or is it that my new medium blue resistance band is so new that I could not do the triceps extension with the band. It felt as though I would break it if I pushed it. If it's cause it is new, how can I stretch it out some, or is this cheating? Thank you ever so much!

100RC barbell hip thrusts & neck fatigue

Loving Xtrain Cathe!

My question is about the barbell hip thrusts. My neck was quite fatigued after the 40th rep. I had to stop early, not so much because my glutes were fatigued, but because my neck just could not hold up any longer. My instinct was to just place my head on the step and continue, but I know this is not correct form. Is this common and normal?

Thank you greatly!

Natasha

Great question Natasha! I stopped at 40 yesterday as well, due to neck fatigue. Cathe, could these be done on a stability ball?

My question is, do you think there will be an STS/Xtrain undulating rotation in the future?

Thanks,

Tina : )

Hi Cathe!

I can't even say how much I am in love with Xtrain so far!! Thank you!!

My question is , I did the Clam Shell exercise on Legs today. I have the biggest issue with exercises where I'm using my arm/shoulder for support. I end up getting too much discomfort in my shoulder. (Which I'm sure means I'm holding the position wrong). The question is, is there a good substitute for this move that I could do and work the same area? Or a modification?

Thanks,
Chris

Ride

Hi Cathe, I have a question about Ride. I use my road bike on an indoor trainer (that I got for Christmas! I am pretty new to indoor cycling. Have been at it for about a month). I cannot keep up with the standing parts at all. I can stand for about a min and I am super winded and my hip flexors are exhausted. I find it easier to stand when I have my bike on a high gear so there is a lot of tension. Is it me being a weakling, or is it my bike because its not a spin bike?

Also, I wanted to thank you and everyone involved in creating X-train. I cant get over how great the whole program is. I am a huge fan of the Low Impact Series, and I didnt think you would be able to top that series, but I think you have! You should be so proud of yourself!

Hi Cathe, I have a question about Ride. I use my road bike on an indoor trainer (that I got for Christmas! I am pretty new to indoor cycling. Have been at it for about a month). I cannot keep up with the standing parts at all. I can stand for about a min and I am super winded and my hip flexors are exhausted. I find it easier to stand when I have my bike on a high gear so there is a lot of tension. Is it me being a weakling, or is it my bike because its not a spin bike?

Also, I wanted to thank you and everyone involved in creating X-train. I cant get over how great the whole program is. I am a huge fan of the Low Impact Series, and I didnt think you would be able to top that series, but I think you have! You should be so proud of yourself!

I was wondering what indoor trainer you got?I am looking for one and not sure as the price ranges are so extreme. Not sure what a good one is?
Thanks

*sigh* desparately trying to get this posted

Please forgive the repetitive posts :eek: I'm just really hoping for Cathe to see this! Good thing I saved it in word :p

I’ll start this by saying that I’m so thankful for how you make yourself available to us. It makes so much of a difference knowing that you allow yourself to be approachable by all of us :) Being able to get a chance to ask you a question has brought me out of lurkdom!
My problem/question is this: I injured myself back in June on my knee doing reverse lunges. Long story short, after a few months of <100% functionality (lunges still hurt), I saw a doc, was diagnosed with plica inflammation, have been to physical therapy consistently since Sept. and have found out about several different things that could have contributed to the injury (all very specific to my body- i.e. extraordinarily weak hips/glutes, extremely mobile patella, etc.) If I do one lunge, my knee is really angry with me! :( I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE using your workouts but I get hung up sometimes because most of them have some form of lunges in them, and I have a hard time trying to figure out a substitution for the lunges. I was wondering if you could suggest some moves that would be a good substitution. A few of the exercises/workouts that I’m thinking of are: Hiit DWP (power scissors), static lunges (any weight dvd), the reverse lunges combined with arm exercises (like in AfterBurn), dixie cup lunges, reverse lunges in Slide & Glide, and power scissors and/or front & reverse lunges during step routines. I've also seen some lunges in the Xtrain Low Impact Hiit. Somehow the only lunges that don’t affect me adversely are lateral lunges. Thanks for reading! :D

Hi Cathe!

Just got XTrain today! Woo!

Trying to decide what rotation to do. I am an intermediate exerciser. My main goal is to lose weight (lost 40lbs last year...need to lose another 30 or so). What would be the best rotation for this? I also have LIS bundle.

Thanks!
Toomuchjoy

I have the CycleOps Magneto. It is great. I paid $230 for it. It is very quiet and really sturdy. It's what the guy at the local bike shop uses so he recommended it. It is also 100 percent made in the USA, so that sold me.

Hi there Shannoncorrin - obviously not Cathe, but I just wanted to mention that (if I've got the right person) you posted a question in the Open Discussion several weeks ago about using your magneto for spin. You originally didn't get any responses, but I just want you to know that I responded to your post a week or two ago. I don't know if you realized that or if any of the information will be helpful to you, but I wanted to mention it in case you never saw it. Best of luck with your indoor training!

Shannoncorrin -

It was you....here's what I wrote in my previous post. I. Sure Cathe will have more and better advice, but here you are:

I've been wanting to respond to your post, but needed to be able to try Cyclemax myself first. I'm sorry it took so long, but I had to wait for my spin bike to arrive...I finally got it this weekend and I've now done Cyclemax twice. The first time I had already done a really tough spin class earlier in the day, so I figured I'd better give it a second go before writing this.

The reason I wanted to respond in the first place is that a while ago I lent Cyclemax to a friend of mine who's a cyclist (e.g., 6 hour training rides). He liked it, but said he couldn't keep up with the standing. He does his workouts on a cycleops trainer as well, although his is fluid, not magnetic, but I don't think there's that much difference between the two.

There is, however, a big difference between the type of riding you do outdoors and Cyclemax. Think about how much time you spend out of the saddle when outdoors...not much. Steep hills (mountains if you're lucky!) when you need to push a big gear, attacks or to quickly gain speed, or when you need a little break from sitting. That's not a major amount of time overall. Cyclemax has a LOT of standing work in it, though, so I could see how for even a very fit cyclist it's a lot of standing and something to work up to. In addition, on a road bike versus a spin bike, you have to be in a big gear to avoid pedal slip, so it's really challenging...you can have a little less tension on a spin bike and still "control" your pedal stroke...have you ever been on a spin bike? If so, you'll know what I mean. You still need pretty good tension, but there's quite a bit of leeway depending upon how hard you're willing to push yourself or how well trained you are. It's just easier to cheat.

I did Cyclemax on a spin bike. I've been spinning for about 18 months, averaging about twice a week (although in the last 4 days, I've done 1 brutal spin session and 5 tough spin sessions...I just can't stay off this bike!). I've been to different gyms with different instructors, and I can say that I've never done a spin class that was so front loaded with standing work as Cyclemax. It pains me to write this, because I think Cathe puts out the best workouts out there and I was sure I would think her spin DVD was the best spin workout of all time. I'm confident there is a reason Cathe structured Cyclemax the way she did, and it's a good reason, but I personally didn't find it to be a terribly enjoyable spin session. Doable, yes, but I felt like I needed to be a little warmer before doing so much standing. I'm hoping Ride is a little more balanced, at least at the outset of the workout. I should add that I LOVE standing work, and get frustrated when an instructor spends too much time in the saddle (Keiser classes can be like this, if the instructor is obsessed with cadence and wattage). Having said that, many Cathletes have written rave reviews of Cyclemax and absolutely love it...it's all a matter of personal preference. Cyclemax is a solid workout that I'm sure I'll do again, but I'm having fun kicking my own but with some awesome playlists I've developed. :). Oh, I should add that my cyclist friend said he could always work on developing his standing work and Cyclemax would be good for that, but he's more focused on distance and speed. His heart is in improving his outdoor riding, versus getting a good cardiovascular workout that happens to involve being on a bike.

The bottom line is that yes, you will get better at the standing work...I'll bet you're already vastly improved over the day you posted this message. I know my third time with Cyclemax I'll be better, too. I'm wondering, though, if you might also be interested in workouts designed specifically for outdoor cyclists who are training indoors. There are some great videos from The Sufferfest designed for this purpose and they get rave reviews from cyclists (and some Cathletes) for helping them improve over the off season. The Sufferfest uses footage from pro races (the latest one, called The Wretched, uses footage from this year's Tour de France!). So it's like riding with the pros. The workouts are supposedly very, very tough (the term 'puke in a bucket' is often used to describe them), but like any workout it's as hard as you make it. I have now purchased all of The Sufferfest workouts, but although they look awesome (and quite funny), I can't tell you how good they are, because I haven't done one yet! Why? I wanted to do Cyclemax first, since I'd been waiting over a year to give it a go. :)

I hope this is helpful, and please post and let us know how you're getting along!

Update: the Sufferfest videos are great and I do like Ride better than Cyclemax...hope your training is going well!

Hi Frances...

Not sure I can fully commit just yet with my kids sports schedules and my fathers illness but if I do it I will let you know.

Have fun XTRAINING!

Hi Cathe, Are you planning on following your rotation in the book?When STS first came out you set a start date for yourself and a bunch of us followed that. Not sure if your planning on doing that with Xtrain.

Either way, I plan to start Sunday and I am both excited and nervous... The workouts look amazing! Thank you for ALL that you do..
Cheers,
Frances

I can make that happen. Remind me in a couple of months and I'll do it then.

Hi Cathe. I was looking through the new xtrain book and was wondering about all of those premixes. Will you in the future months, have a rotation of just xtrain premixes?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.