Bare Escentuals Users

twosquared

Cathlete
I just got this makeup as a present - the starter kit and am very happy with it. I was skeptical about how it could work, but it does. Today is my third day wearing it, and the first time I noticed a slight shine in my t-zone. I did a search and read up on some of the things people have said but have a few questions for those of you who have been using this product for awhile:

1)Any tips and/or tricks you have learned. And what other products do you like. I watched the video that came with the starter kit, and got very overwhelmed by items such as glee and well rested for the eyes. My skin color is the medium, and right now I am using the med beige foundation.

2)Do you use the quick cleaner for the brushes if using one brush for several different uses.

3)Do you clean the brushes regularly with the cleaner sold by bare escentuals.

Happy Holidays to all!!!!

:)

i absolutely LOVE BE!!!! if your set didn't come with the mineral veil you need to purchase it. that takes away the shine of the make up and really makes your skin look finished. otherwise what i do is part way through the day, or any time i notice my skin getting oily in my t-zone, i will just blot it with some tissue and that seems to do the trick.

i do not use the glee because it's too dark for my skin tone and i've never used the well rested for the eyes, so i can't offer you any advice for those products.

i don't clean my brushes regularly. When i do i just use warm water and my bar of soap....my foundation brush was getting kind of icky so i just decided to clean it that way and i've not had any repurcussions from doing that. cleaned up quite nicely, actually.

if you don't have the multi-tasking bisque, with the brush, then that should be your next purchase as well. it really conceals and adds extra coverage where needed. couldn't put my face on without that stuff!

also, i've noticed it takes a few minutes for your skin oils to react and mesh with the foundation, so make sure you don't over apply. after you apply the first wee bit of foundation i would go back to doing your eyes or eyebrows and then re examine your foundation.

good luck! it's really an awesome product once you get the hang of it!

Thanks so much for your advice. Funny, I just brought the bisque today. I actually went to a B.E. store several months ago to have them make me up. This was one of the items they used that was not in the starter kit. The last few days, I just used the concealer I had. Also, so funny what you said about letting it react with my skin. I remember when I was at the store, I was not impressed. About a 1/2 later I was in another store and looked in the mirror and what a shock, the stuff looked great - so shear and natural, but coverage. The first time I put it on, I remembered this, so I put it on, did my eyes and then took a critical look, small touchup and was done.

Thanks much for responding.

>if you don't have the multi-tasking bisque, with the brush,
>then that should be your next purchase as well. it really
>conceals and adds extra coverage where needed. couldn't put my
>face on without that stuff!
>
>also, i've noticed it takes a few minutes for your skin oils
>to react and mesh with the foundation, so make sure you don't
>over apply. after you apply the first wee bit of foundation i
>would go back to doing your eyes or eyebrows and then re
>examine your foundation.
>
>good luck! it's really an awesome product once you get the
>hang of it!

I love my BE too!!! Make sure you buff pretty well after you apply. I also use a foundation brush around my eyes because the powder gets into my lines. Also, its true a little goes a long way. Don't overapply. I also have to touch up during the day because I get a bit shiny in the t-zone. I just use a regular compact for that.

Enjoy!!

Buffy

I had trouble with oil with BE too. I have oily skin and switched to Everyday minerals. They have different formula's to choose from and will send you free sample kits until you find the right formula color combination for your skin tone and type. You may want to keep that in mind after your BE makeup runs out. I love mineral makeup...it is so much more natural looking and yet covers really well. The #1 downfall is spillage on a bad morning when your in a hurry...boo! Enjoy your new find!
Angela:7
Edited to come back and say that you may want to put an oil control product underneath BE or put mineral veil underneath on your trouble spots first.

Angela,

Does Everyday minerals have a formula for dry/mature skin? I have tried the BE line and it just seemed to magnify every fine line and wrinkle on my face. (I am 56 so this is not good.) I was not at all happy with it. I gave my starter kit to my younger sister, and she loved it. I have heard so many good things about mineral makeup but have been reluctant to try it again b/c of my experience with BE. Are all these products for the younger group, or is it just a matter of specific formulae? Sorry, twosquared--didn't mean to highjack your thread.

MissL

I used BE for about 2 years and then I discovered Laura Mercier. I bought Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer earlier last year and I've never looked back. However I don't use any line of make-up exclusively and I still use BE's mineral veil on top of the tinted moisturizer.

There are several things that I still use from BE: the eyeshadows (regular and the glimmers...I really love true gold glimmer for the holidays), I use the liner shadows sometimes, the blushes (I adore beauty), clear radiance, and the eyeshadow (I have the flathead, and the rounded one), blending, concealer, and angled face brushes (I don't use the other brushes anymore).

Now to your questions:

1) I really don't like the way Leslie Blodgett explains how to apply this product. I've seen her do demos and she doesn't use enough product to give decent coverage if someone needs it. No wonder lots of women think this product doesn't cover enough. I think the way to do it is to conceal first (either with BE or with other brand of concealer), then use the foundation and buff it really well (not like Leslie does it in the demos where she pretty much swipes the brush over the skin and doesn't buff deeply or long enough), then mineral veil on top. Some women do what's called a mineral veil sandwich...mineral veil, foundation, mineral veil. If that works for you then you can do that too. As far as other products like glee, or well rested, you don't *need* them. There are several brands of make-up with similar products that you can try (Clinique, Laura Mercier, Mac, etc. I'm a make-up junkie and I can give you some recommendations some other time). You can get BE's if you prefer but the products are not *must haves* and you can definitely get similar products at the department stores.

2) and 3) I've never spent on those cleaners. I can't justify the cost. Laura Mercier's brushes are way more expensive and the quality is much better than BE's brushes and she recommends using baby shampoo to clean them. I use antibacterial soap and water.

I really don't recommend using one brush for everything. You'll find it easier to have more than one brush.

I hope this helps.

>Angela,
>
>Does Everyday minerals have a formula for dry/mature skin? I
>have tried the BE line and it just seemed to magnify every
>fine line and wrinkle on my face. (I am 56 so this is not
>good.) I was not at all happy with it. I gave my starter kit
>to my younger sister, and she loved it. I have heard so many
>good things about mineral makeup but have been reluctant to
>try it again b/c of my experience with BE. Are all these
>products for the younger group, or is it just a matter of
>specific formulae? Sorry, twosquared--didn't mean to highjack
>your thread.
>
>MissL
>
>
Yes, they have one for dry skin. I LUV this stuff. I use the intensive formula (I believe there are 4 formula's). Go to www.everydayminerals.com.

Angela

Hi Rose 11 - maybe you can answer a question for me - how are you supposed to use the clear radiance? In place of the mineral veil or as a blush? I have it and I'm not sure I'm using it the way it was meant to be.

Thanks!

Lisa

I'm with you MissL! I tried both BE and Everyday Minerals. They both settle in every line and crease and make you look 10 years older! I have tried different colors in both, with and without Mineral Veil etc. I keep savings it thinking I will finally find the secret in how to use it but it never happens!

I love BE!

Here are my tips for my 52 year old T zone face.

I use Mary Kay oil mattifier on my nose and a little on my forehead prior to applying my mineral makeup.

I do make sure I do not apply minerals around my eyes where I have fine lines and some wrinkles. I also have a wrinkle starting right between my eyes and I wipe anything that has set in there off with a wet cloth when I am finished!

When I apply bisque to my undereye circles I start at the bottom of the darker area and work up to avoid setting it in the wrinkles in that area.

I agree, that BE is not friendly to wrinkled skin and when more wrinkles develope I will be looking for an alternative, but in the meantime I do love it!

I clean my brushes with a little shampoo and then rinse with conditioner which I rinse out when I clean my brushes. Make sure you put your brushes on the side so the water does not drip into the metal portion while you let them dry. I do not clean my brushes as often as some people. I always have a moist toilette (OK a baby wipe without alcohol) handy when I apply my makeup and clean them daily by swiping on that.

Clear Radiance is supposed to give your skin the look of a baby's behind- Young and fresh and dewey. I use it once in awhile but do not consider it a must have. Honestly, when you start using too much of this and too much of that it starts adding so much time to your morning routine that it defeats the purpose of purchasing BE which is supposed to be a simple morning routine.

I agree, that Leslie does not properly demo how to buff in the mineral foundation or how much to use. I use about twice as much as she demos and a couple times set my kitchen timer for two minute and buffed away and the difference was awesome! The minerals need to warmup to work! Also, don't be afraid to put some muscle behind the buffing action!

Sorry to be so rambly! HTH

I only use the foundation, warmth and mineral veil so I am not much help in the other products category. The thing I love most about Bare Minerals is that I don't feel like I have to wear anything more than that and my skin looks great.

I do use their waterproof mascara which I love.

As for cleaning the brushes, I just use warm soapy water to clean them, warm water to rinse and then allow them to dry for 24 hourse. Then I take a moment to reshape them and they are good to go.

HTH :)

I've been considering this product, so thank you for this thread.

As for cleaning the brushes - I read in a magazine many years ago to use one part water and one part rubbing alcohol and swish the brush in this mixture. It is amazing how clean the brush gets.

>Hi Rose 11 - maybe you can answer a question for me - how are
>you supposed to use the clear radiance? In place of the
>mineral veil or as a blush? I have it and I'm not sure I'm
>using it the way it was meant to be.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Lisa

Hi Lisa. Clear radiance is a multi purpose powder. You can use it instead of blush, underneath it, or on top of it. You can also use it as a highlighter, as eyeshadow, and I've heard some people that use it as lipstick by applying a clear gloss first then clear radiance on top and then blend well. I wouldn't recommend using clear radiance instead of mineral veil, that would be way too much sparkle on your skin. I hope this helps.

Love BE TOO!!!
I will never go back to liquid foundation again!
Ditto to the mineral veil...it really helps your makeup stay in place and takes the shine away.

I also use, Velvet Skin by DHC skincare ( www.dhcskincare.com ). Apply this before BE foundation, this really prime's the skin for makeup and there is absolutely no shine! Your makeup will stay on all day. It's clear gelly substance, smooths the skin, esp. if you have large pores. This can also be worn alone with no make up. I find this to work great with BE.

Alicia:)

Another Bare Escentuals user here!

I have used this product for about 3 years. I have sensitive skin, so was a bit worried it would bother me, but for the most part it hasn't. Glee does make my skin itch, so I had to stop using it. It's not too bad, but bad enough to make me want to stop using it, though. I also can't use any of the makeup on my eyes. The skin on my eyelids is very sensitive, so I rarely use anything eye makeup...just Almay mascara and the BE powder concealer under my eyes.

I tried Arbonne makeup a while back, but it just didn't stack up against BE, so I switched back.

I completely second the opinion on the Velvet Skin from DHC and also recommend it for before using the BE makeup.

Susan L.G.

I would definitely start with Bisque. I feel it looks better if you put this on first to whatever areas you wish to conceal. However I don't use this for dark circles. I much prefer the Bobbi Brown concealer and corrector for dark circles.

I would say that after applying the foundation I think its best to mix warmth w/the foundation as the last buffing. Then mineral veil or whatever loose powder just to the T Zone area and then blush. (I think the blush color "any blush" stays truer when applied last)

I wash all my brushes w/liquid soap and warm water once a week. I use various brushes. I use Leslie's for the foundation & warmth. I use the Laura Mercier concealer brush for the bisque. I use Chanel for blush and Bobbi Brown's all purpose brush for mineral veil or Bobbi's loose powder. (I find some of Leslie's brushes to not be soft enough on the face).

I clean the lids of my BE with alcohol and a cotton swab once a week. All that swirling the lid makes them tinted so by cleaning it makes for better swirling and application. I feel it is essential to clean the lids and brushes this helps prevent any infections or bacteria buildup.

I feel that the Well Rested is something you can do without as well as other complexion boosters. If you are using the foundation, warmth and a blush your face should look healthy and natural without the other stuff.

For application, I find that following the recommendations of another mineral makeup work best: swirl the brush in the powder, then tap the brush, brush-side-up, so that the powder falls into the brush, then tap off any extra powder by tapping on the side. Then go over the face in light layers. For more coverage, don't try to put it all on at once. Layering is the way to go.

I've tried several Bare Escentual products, and it's a bit hit or miss. Tinted mineral veil was a bust (WAY too fakey looking brownish on my pale skin, no matter how lightly I go). But clear radiance/rose radiance are winners. I go over my entire face with a very light cover of clear radiance, then go back and hit the 'blush' areas and the eyelid with rose radiance. I don't even need the regular powder or mineral veil with these.

I really like their shadow/liner quads.

Well rested works better than bisque as a cover for me. Not just around the eye socket area, but around the nose, and on any reddish areas. But I don't find that BE covers that much (some age spots, definitely not effective on my zombie under-eye circles---thank's mom!).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.