As you get older ... weight train more or cardio more?

jcm

Cathlete
Turned 40 in January. I've done STS 3 times since it came out, but generally I do total body weights 1-2 times/week and run 4 days a week. Nothing crazy has happened to my body (yet?) just curious if I might see improvement by switching to 3 days of total body weights and 3 days of running. For years I've noticed that women who lift - probably quite a bit judging by their bodies - maintain a very young physique. Maybe it's time to up the weights - you know, to fight gravity :)

My vote is for weights! :D Cardio is important for heart health and (for me) stress release but my body didn't change until I started resistance and strength training! :) I'm in the best shape of my life thanks to that (fairly recent) discovery! BTW, I'm turning 40 in a few weeks too! :eek:

I turned 40 in April. I find what works to keep my body looking young is a balance in my workouts. I'm partial to total body workouts because it allows me to fit other types of workouts in during the week. I've found that I don't need more than one or two if my other workouts also have body weight type exercises. For example, kickboxing isn't an upper body workout per say, but when you add 1-2 lb hand gloves it helps work the upper body and keep it tones. The moves are also good for keeping the legs toned. Any workout with plank type exercises will work my upper body also(I'm weak in the shoulder area). Plyo does something for my legs and butt that nothing else does. Not really sure how to explain that, but my behind says nicely rounded when I add these exercises in once a week.

I'm into functional fitness, so I like moves that somewhat mimic what I might do in real life. As I get older I want to be able to still carry the groceries or that bag of dog food or play ball with my kids. So workouts that strengthen my entire body help with this. The workouts don't all have to be weight lifting.

I'm 51 and I noticed that once I started doing total body workouts my body started changing. I do lots of workouts that include compound exercises that work all parts of the body. I haven't done many weight only workouts in a while. I run 3x time a week and then do workouts that incorporate both cardio and weights. My body has toned up really well.

As I get older I am more concerned with functional fitness as the previous poster stated. It's more important to be overall fit so I can carry groceries, get up and down off the floor, squat and run up a flight of stairs without needing oxygen.

One of my favorite exercises is the ball slam. I use a 25# non-bouncing med ball, clean it over my head, slam it into the ground and then squat to pick it up and repeat. It works everything...shoulders, abs, legs and cardio. These are the kinds of exercises I do on a regular basis.

Like atompki1 said, it doesn't have to be with just weights, but strength and resistance training are incredibly important, I think. A few people on here are familiar with my passion for Horizontal Conditioning. :D That is all plank and body weight resistance training and has done amazing things for my upper body and especially core strength. I have so much more functional strength and having a strong core has done amazing things for my ability to do other workouts (including cardio/plyometrics) as well as my every day movements. The core is definitely the powerhouse of the body! Straight up cardio didn't do much for my body when that was all I did. I do less cardio now, but when I do it now it tends to be intense or Hiit cardio.

Me to. I get confused .. In the early 90 I did aerobics then learn to add weight training at the end of every workout and somesays after aerobics it was just toning. I did that for years with success of losing 70 and kept it off for years. Now in for last five years I gained 30 back I do aerobics one day and heavy weight two times a week. Not much success and I've been doing it over a yr. I'm thinking of trying a rotation of 4 ds simply because it is more like what I had success in years ago. Just confused

My past experience has definitely taught me the truth that results are like 80% what you eat! I switched to a Paleo eating plan back in February and that has been fabulous. My energy is way better and I just feel better. STS also taught me the value of switching things up. Started yoga a few months ago to help back pain and that has been great too - my back is so much better. I just think with my back and my body getting "older" (hate that term!) maybe it's time to do more yoga and more weights. Not quit running but it seems my body is giving me signs to back off. I've done 2 half marathons and even with all that added mileage never noticed much change in my body. I have an idea what Horizontal Conditioning is, but where would I find out more??

Jcm there are threads started about HC on here. I don't know how to put link here so u can see it. U can go to search on here and type it in u will find a couple of them. Also there are clips on you tube as well

Personally, my vote goes for more total body weight training... 3 per week and running 3 per week. That sounds like a great balance. I really wish I could run right now but my tendonitis in my achilles is taking care of that!

Personally, my vote goes for more total body weight training... 3 per week and running 3 per week. That sounds like a great balance. I really wish I could run right now but my tendonitis in my achilles is taking care of that!

This is my take I do total body weights 3 days a week. This may be in circuit, slow/heavy etc. I then do a day of HITT 30min and a long cardio (1 hour).

I use to run but my ankles have given out. I now do Turbo Fire and am new to Cathe. I'm late to the step aerobics since I always ran but now wish I would of discovered them years ago.

This week I've been using her high step challenge and wow my legs are jelly. It really will keep my over 40 J lo butt from sagging LOl

I will be 42 in 5 mo. I did Insanity in my 30's but will no longer do the rotation because i am afraid of injuries-just pick one occasionally. I like workouts where you go at your own pace and are total body workouts that mostly have upper and lower at the same time with light weights.I have gained in muscle working out that way.I hope i can do CS and TTM.

Laura

Ok so I'm not 40 (30) but I can say that when I do less cardio, including less intense cardio and more strength, I have better results.

I have found the key is that I do better with total body workouts and use the occassional split for work on muscle imbalances. Although before this pregnancy, I just added on a few exercises throughout the week to accomplish the same thing. The second factor to this is like a couple of others have mentioned, I work in functional fitness. It's a multi-plane and multi-joint form of strength and it helps to shock the body but still stick to total body routines.

For cardio, I'm a walker. I've done everything from step to kickboxing (even trained in a gym with a coach) to sprints and cardio DVDs. There have never been anything that has worked better for me than combining walking with strength and that's held true since my teens. I've tried many things but why fix it if it ain't broke?!

Find a type of cardio or a few that you enjoy and mix it up. Cardio is great for heart health but the true key is to just keep moving throughout the day. I had a conversation with my mom this week and she's now 50 about this same thing. She said that in her 30s she could go and go but has come to realize that she gets plenty of movement (cardio) throughout the week by keeping busy around the house ie: cleaning, home repairs, building, dog walking, gardening, yard work, etc. We both agreed that over the years we've seen many o people that spend 1-2 hours at the gym or just working out most/every day and come home spent. They have no energy to chase the kids, scrub the floors, go for a long walk after dinner, and keep up with life without feeling exhausted and over worked. It's not the "exercise" name but what we do with our time that counts.

Build some muscle and stay active. That's what will matter and with time you'll see it improve your shape inside-out. Hell, I'm 30 and I have started living this way within the past couple of years and adore it. It's like the weight just melts off without trying (pre pregnancy but even keeping to a healthy gain during). If it isn't fun, don't do it and focus on strength first.

Favourite total workout

Can you guys share with me a few of your favorite total body workouts?

Thanks!
Liz
Hi Liz,

I am going to name few of them. I love all cathe's program so listing them all would be too long :)

*)Muscle Max Pure weight lifting, you can go heavy on this.
*) Power hours endurance program.
*) High reps endurance program.
*) STS Total body Pure weight lifting, you can go heavy on this.
*) High step challenge this one is a tough circuit for total body
*) Cardio and Weight another circuit :)

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

I really appreciate all the responses! I like total body also. Just did Muscle Max last week but High Reps is probably a favorite. And in the past I had amazing results with Drill Max! I think I'm going to try the Horizontal Conditioning and keep my runs around 4 - 6 miles 2 or 3 days a week. Around end of February I'll up the running mileage to prepare for my spring half, but for now I'm going to try backing off a bit and see how it goes.

Jen

Can you guys share with me a few of your favorite total body workouts?

Thanks!
Liz

Hey I'm new to cathe dvd. I only own a few so I switch them out with other weight set I have (chalean extreme).

High Step Challenge
Low Impact Circuit
Muscle Max

I love to lift heavy so I mix it up with circuit workouts as well. 56 here.
But I firmly believe everyone has a unique metabolism and body make up. You have to experiment what works for you. :)

My Cathe circuit favorites are:
Any of the High steps, Challenge, Circuit, Training.
Cardio fusion.
Low impact circuit
Circuit blast.
Hardcore Extreme.

I,ve had sucess losing body fat with both heavy cardio and circuit training and with heavy weight training and 3 days a week cardio.....but.....with the heavy cardio I had to watch my diet closely and my husband was always asking why I was so mad......with more weight training I can be more flexible with my diet and I'm not grumpy....at least that what my hubby says.....I'm 48 and this has been true for my since I was 17.....that's when I started working with weights and cardio.....before that it was all cardio and dieting......

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.